Grisles vs Knicks (3-17-11): Happy St. Madness?

Including tonight,How many wins will the Knicks get out of they're last 17 games?

• 14-3

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 12-5

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 10-7

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 8-9

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knicksin60

Starter
After watching this game, there are five things that Knick fans can come to conclusions about.

1.Toney Douglas should win NBA sixth man of the year.

2.Chris Paul should sign with the Knicks to play back up to TD.

3. Toney Douglas has the potential to be the next Reggie Miller.

4.Toney Douglas should get a franchise tag under the new CBA rules.

5.The Knicks are the best defensive team in the NBA.

la2ny

Starter
After watching this game, there are five things that Knick fans can come to conclusions about.

1.Toney Douglas should win NBA sixth man of the year.

2.Chris Paul should sign with the Knicks to play back up to TD.

3. Toney Douglas has the potential to be the next Reggie Miller.

4.Toney Douglas should get a franchise tag under the new CBA rules.

5.The Knicks are the best defensive team in the NBA.
Exactly what I was thinking. He's the 2nd coming of Ray Allen and were a better defensive team than the Bill Russell Celtics, 96 Bulls, and 08 Celtics combined! :peace:

iSaYughh

Starter
But that's what is SO frustrating! The announcers quoted Mike before the game talking about how their impetus was on defense tonight even if it negatively influenced their offense. I really didn't see that at all.

Sure the team played average D, but the effort simply was not there a lot of the time. Stat let that kid get off 3-4 wide open free throw line jumpers because he didn't bother to step out. We gave up a load of points in transition because we were camping out for the OFFENSIVE rebound and didn't get back quick enough. We got away with the lack of defensive effort today by gambling in the passing lanes and Memphis missing a lot of wide open shots.

That's why this win was bittersweet (to quote Walt Clyde Frazier).

Agreed.

Yet,

"Stat let that kid get off 3-4 wide open free throw line jumpers *because he didn't bother to step out*."

"Gave up a *ton* of points because we were camping out for the offensive rebound and *didntnget back quick enough*."

Same old story -- we didn't box out, we didn't go for rebounds, we stood around and let midgets penetrate our interior like Mandingo to a schoolgirl.

All totally true. aka as Chauncey Billups has said, and many others (who play quality D)

Defense = Effort.

That is the heart of the matter. The surrounding tissue, which helps, but isn't so profound nor controllable or attainable -- defensive guru head coach, or assistant coach; defensive genius players.

20M/yr, revered, superstar NBA veterans...supposed captains..vocal no excuse players who have been around a million coaches...experts...and advisors...

Won't box the **** out. Try. Give a basic, basic effort.

This has nothing to do with style or schemes or ability -- not with the coach. Or even the players.

This is the epitome of lazy ass bullshit-dripping doublespeak excused-talking jive ass hypocritical punks.

A new coach won't change shit by himself, not to any appreciable degree that will dent this true monumental cause of the problem that exists.

Barring the coach having the effect of a therapist and hypnotist.

In which case, these players should just stfu and get pacifiers.

What will help? The same thing that has morphed veteran stars who had been plagued by weak ass D and softness.

eg Pau Gasol
eg Rupaul Pierce
eg Ray Allen

etcetc

Other veteran players who are bad mother****ers and will expose them for the above and make them feel and look like soft punks if they don't step to.

Plus, the actual *guaranteed* defensive impact of....actual players who play defense.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
All I gotta say is...

THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POINTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Toneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy DOUGLAS!

knicksin60

Starter
Exactly what I was thinking. He's the 2nd coming of Ray Allen and were a better defensive team than the Bill Russell Celtics, 96 Bulls, and 08 Celtics combined! :peace:

Ray Allen was the first coming of Toney Douglas.And the Knicks showed better defensive intensity in tonight's game than the Celtics have all season.If i were MDA, I would legally change my name to Michael "Mike" Thibodeau.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
What D? And I :lol: at the way you took that rhyme personal!

They outrebounded us, shot 47% and scored nearly 100 points. The reason we won was the 3 ball falling (uh franchise record hello?) and not turning it over too much. Not many of those 3's were in transition so had no direct defense feeding into those 3's...

The Knicks D was not horrible tonight as it has been on some occasions, but it was no better than average either.

I didn't take anything personally. I just call it how I see it, k wackness lol...

And.. It wasn't perfect, but I thought there was more of a concerted effort out there on the defensive end tnite, especially in the first half before the 3pt barrage. There was some definite effort there thank god.. :gony:

smokes

Huge Member
I didn't take anything personally. I just call it how I see it, k wackness lol...

And.. It wasn't perfect, but I thought there was more of a concerted effort out there on the defensive end tnite, especially in the first half before the 3pt barrage. There was some definite effort there thank god.. :gony:

I guess the set defense was ok in the first half, transition sucked though. The second half was just a chuckfest, with very little defensive effort. But hey keep calling it as you see it this is just how I see it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

I went back and watched the first half, and you're right, there were some concerted defensive efforts.

But what happened to it in the second?

It was dog shit.

A point worth noting is that a lot of the stand out defensive plays were individual. Indicative of the fact that this team has defensive talent.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Defensive effort was much better tonight. 2nd and 3rd were great. 1st and 4th, not so much. We don't need to play Chicago D to win games. We just need to hold teams around the 100 mark. We will get our 106 a game (no matter who).

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
That's bullshit! They need to play hard on D every play! Pat Riley would slap the shot out of you. Oakley would tie you to the basket support and use you as a punching bag!

MusketeerX

Rotation player
That's bullshit! They need to play hard on D every play! Pat Riley would slap the shot out of you. Oakley would tie you to the basket support and use you as a punching bag!

I welcome Pat the Rat trying to slap the whatever out of me. Oakley, not so much. Just saying, when you place so much emphasis on offense, you are going to see slips on D more often. That's okay. You just don't want to see them only play D 5% of the time like they were (maybe still are... we'll see how their consistency goes). Not saying the D doesn't need to get better and they shouldn't strive for perfection, but I will give them credit tonight. We held them under 100. 17-2 when we've done that. :). I like those numbers.

On a side note. They still can't defend the pick and roll. Judging by how Amar'e defended against it time and time again, I think MDA wants him to step back and worry more about penetration than closing out on the man setting the pick.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Knicks played last night? Who cares right. After what happened with INDY, I'm going to mail it in until the playoffs. I mean, why should fans bother to waste time and $ on these chumps, when they prove themselves that they only care half the time.

Of course, last night they "cared" or maybe it only appeared they cared b/c they drained 3s all night.

The good news is... we beat another above .500 team. What are we know? 7-6 in the 'Melo era (7-2 against teams not named CLE/INDY).

This means you know we'll bring that energy in the playoffs. National spotlight... Playing BOS/CHI/MIA? I know we will have that intensity. That's the good news. BUT, will they be able to muster enough turning it on? Who knows. I do know they'll try to play defense. Muscle memory may not help b/c they don't play much now... they're not getting to know each other playing team defense b/c they take too many nights off...

But they do have the talent. AND, like last night... If they hit their 3s we know they'll make it all the way to the Eastern Conf Finals. If not, they'll be ousted in 5 or 6 games.

This doesn't mean I wont enjoy following the rest of the season. It just means I wont get invested emotionally.

p0nder

Starter
the grizz were getting pestered all night on D. The knicks had a lot of calls go against them that shouldn't have. This game got out of hand in the 3rd and the refs tried to keep it close. this would of been a much bigger blow out if they hadn't.

The defense was actually impressive for a change, not because of the numbers, 46% shooting is not good, but it's not awful. But because the entire team played defense, particularly MELO, Billups, and JJ. when the whole team gets into the defensive mind set we get a lot better on both ends of the floor.

When there is not a ton of pressure to hit that 3 TD drops it pretty much everytime. When the game is on the line, you want billups or melo shooting.

The win was impressive because a lot of people still believe memphis is a better team then we are. They aren't. The knicks will bring it in the playoffs, but i'm almost there with you mafra, on mailing it in for the rest of the regular season. These guys don't care about playing the shitty teams and it shows.