Jeffries Hyper-extends knee...2010?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Jared Jeffries hyper-extended his right knee during the Knicks' 106-104 loss to Toronto on Thursday.

The injury occurred in the second quarter and though Jeffries played the rest of the first half after suffering the injury, he did not return for the second half.

He is scheduled for an MRI.

Good thing Donnie was so patient with trading Jeffries. Now the 2010 plan is in serious jeopardy. Not enough cap space to sign a max + talent (e.g. Lee) which means nobody will sign with the Knicks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee sign with OKC this offseason. They can afford to give him $11+ mil and are very interested. Since the Knicks can't afford him + a max free agent, Lee might not want to suffer another year in New York.

After all the sufferring Knick fans have had to endure, did we really expect this thing to work?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If Jefferies injury is shown to be not that serious it shouldn't make trading him too hard. He will be in his final year and can defend all positions quite well. A contender would not be crazy to think JJ would help them in the playoffs.

Worst case we need to package Mobley's contract to sweeten any deal.

p0nder

Starter
Wow that does suck, both for the 2010 plan AND for our chances at a playoff berth (not that we had much of a chance to begin with).

Hyper-extended knees are painful but don't usually take that long to recover from. It hurts his trade value but doesn't necessarily mean he's "untradeable". I hope Donnie makes at least SOME moves before trade deadline to free up cap room.

good thing donnie was so patient....
what the hell does that mean.
haha you think donnie just wouldnt pull the trigger for no reason
we have discussed since the day jefferies was signed that we would never be able to trade his contract.

ANU

Starter
when your best overall defender is hurt, you're ****ed, so the season is essentially over.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
good thing donnie was so patient....
what the hell does that mean.
haha you think donnie just wouldnt pull the trigger for no reason
we have discussed since the day jefferies was signed that we would never be able to trade his contract.

So you think Jeffries has been completely untradeable this entire season?

I don't. A deal can always be made. We could have packaged our 2nd round picks, Harrington, Chandler, Hill..........something.

A deal could have been made. Now we have to wait until 2011 for this team to possibly be good.

ANU

Starter

I don't. A deal can always be made. We could have packaged our 2nd round picks, Harrington, Chandler, Hill..........something.

A deal could have been made. Now we have to wait until 2011 for this team to possibly be good.

I'm pretty sure he could have gotten dealt, but donnie was to busy believing this is a playoff team.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Sux man, let's wait to see the MRI. i did see a contender like the spurs going after him. Oh well maybe it isnt such a bad injury!! The knicks usually start tailing away mid-way through the season after they raise our hopes. Looks like it will happen again. All of a sudden teams are scoring a lot on us again.

New New York

Quiet Storm

I'm pretty sure he could have gotten dealt, but donnie was to busy believing this is a playoff team.

1. A hyper extended knee is the equivalent of twisting your ankle, the fact that Jefferies still played right after he got hurt is encouraging. If he was carried off the court then we should be concerned. MRI will likely show at worst a MCL tear (which I have had repaired twice) and he will be out 2 weeks tops and any team who was interested would not be scared off.

2. Donnie Walsh has been trying to move Jefferies all season, if he has turned down any deal, it wouldve been because it didnt clear enough or any cap.

If Donnie was all about making the playoffs he wouldve held on to Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford last year!

opinions opinions opinions
Donnie wants this to be a playoff team, but if he cared about playoff teams only he would of kept crawford and randolph last year.

I dont know whether you are all in high school and have yet to upgrade your intelligence to an adult stand point, but you cannot honestly tell me that Donnie walsh sat back and let deals slide through that would keep the cap as is, and get rid of jefferies. I refuse to believe that to be the case. WE have no idea what would have happened trade wise by the deadline, which as every other gm waits for to pull the trigger on big trades. We are only discussing this because jefferies is now injured and it poses an issue.

1. A hyper extended knee is the equivalent of twisting your ankle, the fact that Jefferies still played right after he got hurt is encouraging. If he was carried off the court then we should be concerned. MRI will likely show at worst a MCL tear (which I have had repaired twice) and he will be out 2 weeks tops and any team who was interested would not be scared off.

2. Donnie Walsh has been trying to move Jefferies all season, if he has turned down any deal, it wouldve been because it didnt clear enough or any cap.

If Donnie was all about making the playoffs he wouldve held on to Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford last year!

haha co-sign i didnt read your post new york new york until after mine.
Great minds think alike and you are 100 percent correct.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
opinions opinions opinions
Donnie wants this to be a playoff team, but if he cared about playoff teams only he would of kept crawford and randolph last year.

I dont know whether you are all in high school and have yet to upgrade your intelligence to an adult stand point, but you cannot honestly tell me that Donnie walsh sat back and let deals slide through that would keep the cap as is, and get rid of jefferies. I refuse to believe that to be the case. WE have no idea what would have happened trade wise by the deadline, which as every other gm waits for to pull the trigger on big trades. We are only discussing this because jefferies is now injured and it poses an issue.

So again, do you think Jeffries has been completely untradeable (within reason of course) this entire season?

By the way, arguing that Donnie would have kept Crawford and Z-Bo if all he did was care about the playoffs is a silly argument. It's obvious that he cares more about signing free agents then he does about winning right now.

But he believes, as do many Knick fans, that free agents will sign with the Knicks simply because it's New York. I don't. He also believs that having a competitive team that is fighting for a playoff position will attract free agents. I don't.

More work needs to be done. And I don't think Donnie has been aggressive enough in trying to move Jeffries. Deals can always be made. And waiting until the deadline for a move that is crucial to the 2010 plan was not smart. And now we'll pay for it.

If Donnie had known that we will have to wait until 2011 to make moves, then he would have just kept Crawford and Z-Bo. And it's looking more and more like we will have to wait until 2011. But when he traded them he didn't know the cap was going to be reduced as much as it is and that trading Jeffries and Curry were going to be crucial to the success of the 2010 plan.

If he had known all of that ahead of time than yes, he would have kept Crawford and Z-Bo.

KBlack25

Starter
So again, do you think Jeffries has been completely untradeable (within reason of course) this entire season?

By the way, arguing that Donnie would have kept Crawford and Z-Bo if all he did was care about the playoffs is a silly argument. It's obvious that he cares more about signing free agents then he does about winning right now.

But he believes, as do many Knick fans, that free agents will sign with the Knicks simply because it's New York. I don't. He also believs that having a competitive team that is fighting for a playoff position will attract free agents. I don't.

More work needs to be done. And I don't think Donnie has been aggressive enough in trying to move Jeffries. Deals can always be made. And waiting until the deadline for a move that is crucial to the 2010 plan was not smart. And now we'll pay for it.

If Donnie had known that we will have to wait until 2011 to make moves, then he would have just kept Crawford and Z-Bo. And it's looking more and more like we will have to wait until 2011. But when he traded them he didn't know the cap was going to be reduced as much as it is and that trading Jeffries and Curry were going to be crucial to the success of the 2010 plan.

If he had known all of that ahead of time than yes, he would have kept Crawford and Z-Bo.

I hear your points, but the fact is I think Jefferies was un-tradeable for what we were looking to get. The way I see it: why would any team do us a favor and trade us an expiring contract for an overpaid guy with two years left on his deal? The opposite is also true: why would we trade Jefferies for longer, worse deals?

In order to make a trade, both teams have to think that they improve. I don't believe that there's nobody out there that would TAKE the contract of JJ, I just believe nobody would do it for anything that would help the Knicks in anyway reach the 2010 goal.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I just believe nobody would do it for anything that would help the Knicks in anyway reach the 2010 goal.

Exactly. It has been well publicized that we are looking to clear cap space by trading either JJ or Curry for expirings. Theres going to have to be a team that really feels JJ is the final piece to their title chances in order to trade him for expiring contracts. See that's the problem, its one thing to be able to trade him and its another thing to trade him for valuable expiring contracts in return.

smokes

Huge Member
If Donnie had known that we will have to wait until 2011 to make moves, then he would have just kept Crawford and Z-Bo.

Personally I don't really believe this either. Sure their contracts might have been a bit more valuable in the 2010-11 season but it would have been 2 years of those guys dominating the ball and having a negative impact on Chandler/Gallo/Lee's development, and those guys have developed pretty well over the last 2 seasons. Also trading Curry + Crawford + Jefferies + Zbo all in one season is a much bigger task than doing 2 each year.

iSaYughh

Starter
Let's say a prayer that Jeffries is going to be in MINT condition asap. Anyone who doesn't realize the gravitas of what an injury would mean is deluding themselves.

This team (franchise) essentially has one thing and one thing only -- Plan 2010. People need to realize that until a better PLAN is formulated, it is this and this alone that matters.

We have people foolishly thinking we should keep him (smh), but this underscores the following:

Jeffries has been playing pretty well. 2nd round, N8, Harrington, Jeffries, e.g. Include Douglas even, our breaking point is much higher relative to how vital our team need is to unload Jeffries.

People saying teams won't do it bc it helps us? SMFH. Most other teams aren't franchise-fckups like us. They won't gameplan their franchise based on what may or may not happen to the New York Knicks. We simply aren't that relevant for one, and even if we were it's bogus to think that is true -- Helloooooo Pau Gasol.....

Again, the circus master may have left the garden, but the circus is clearly still in town. I have little faith that Walsh & Co. will do what it takes, just as they showed no initiative and understanding in securing us a PG this past draft.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Let's say a prayer that Jeffries is going to be in MINT condition asap. Anyone who doesn't realize the gravitas of what an injury would mean is deluding themselves.

This team (franchise) essentially has one thing and one thing only -- Plan 2010. People need to realize that until a better PLAN is formulated, it is this and this alone that matters.

We have people foolishly thinking we should keep him (smh), but this underscores the following:

Jeffries has been playing pretty well. 2nd round, N8, Harrington, Jeffries, e.g. Include Douglas even, our breaking point is much higher relative to how vital our team need is to unload Jeffries.

People saying teams won't do it bc it helps us? SMFH. Most other teams aren't franchise-fckups like us. They won't gameplan their franchise based on what may or may not happen to the New York Knicks. We simply aren't that relevant for one, and even if we were it's bogus to think that is true -- Helloooooo Pau Gasol.....

Again, the circus master may have left the garden, but the circus is clearly still in town. I have little faith that Walsh & Co. will do what it takes, just as they showed no initiative and understanding in securing us a PG this past draft.

First off, why are people assuming that it was lock to trade Jefferies to begin with? We at best have a 50% chance of moving Jefferies for an expiring deal, now compared to the begining of the season that is a helluva improvement, but not a lock to get done by no means. -See my earlier response about not making too big a deal about a hyper extended knee (if that is all it is)

Secondly, teams may not have a vendatta against helping a team out, but a team is going to squeeze a team they know are desperate to make a move the way we are. As much as Jefferies' play has improved this year, teams are going to play hardball with us. I mean if it were not for injuries and players falling out with coaches we probably would not have moved Crawford or Z-Bo so easily, teams knew how bad the Knicks needed to shed those contracts are were not budging at all. We simply got lucky with Monta Ellis' motorcycle accident and Don Nelson being desperate to move Al Harrington and with The Clippers Kaman was hurt so thats why they pulled the trigger on the deal. But had it not been for those two teams needing help, we for sure wouldve lost picks and young players to move them. Point being....Jefferies is not going to be an easy move even if he is All NBA 1st Defense

About "not having faith" in Walsh & Co., look it sucks when your team passes on a great players, but it happens! Amare,Bynum,Barbosa, and Rondo are all players we couldve had if The Knicks drafted with a crystal ball ! The Draft isnt an exact science tho, now as bad as Duhon is this year no one expected this bad a season out of him and I think that is why we passed on a PG....I guess. But, the draft is not the only time for a GM to earn his keep - Isiah did a good job of convincing people that this is the case-, I think after this off season and Walsh is not restricted in his moves, then we can better critique him, but I think given what was handed to him, he is making the most of it.

KBlack25

Starter

That's not the argument. The argument is that nobody is going to go do the Knicks any favors. Why would they?

If we had expiring deals to trade, and were a playoff team, would you just hand over your expiring deals for Jared Jeffries? Why would any team just say, "We'll take Jeffries off your hands, here's some valuable expiring deals..."?

1) Teams know we are desperate to get rid of Jeffries and Curry. Knowing that, they will up the price, the cost to take on these guys goes up because they know we want them gone. It's a logical way to think. If I told you I was desperate and would take anything to get rid of Item X, wouldn't you try and trade me your crappiest item in return, get rid of what YOU don't want?

2) Teams are looking to keep their expiring deals, especially ones in the playoffs, to make a move for a better name. Teams that have guys expiring know how much teams value them. There are guys like Caron Butler and Andre Iguodala are on the block for expiring deals right now. Not that they are amazing, but they are better than Jeffries. Jeffries is what he is, but he's not going to turn any potential contender into a champion overnight. There are two guys on our team that MIGHT be able to do such a thing - DLee and Gallo. And we aren't moving them.