Fight Night Round 4

JayJ44

Starter
It just keeps getting better. The latest reveal of the Fight Night Round 4 (FNR4) boxing roster has taken me from excited to? downright giddy. Would I pay $100 for this game? Yep. $200? Probably. I can admit this because I have been assured that regular video game pricing will be applied for FNR4. (If they only released four or five FNR4 games and eBay-ed them I would go broke). Anybody that knows me knows that this release would be my favorite. Kelly Pavlik is my favorite boxer and I was very worried he would not be in the game. I am worrying no more. Will ?raczilla? Kinsler and I have spent hours arguing over who is better, Pavlik or his favorite Jermain ?Bad Intentions? Taylor. Raczilla refuses to acknowledge history (PAVLIK IS 2-0 VERSUS TAYLOR WILL!) but now, with the newest roster reveal, we both know we will settle this debate where it needs to be settled? in FNR4. BRING IT WILL!
What do I think of the latest five boxers that will be in FNR4? Glad you asked.

Roy Jones, Jr.: Before Roy Jones, Jr. I had never heard of the title ?best pound for pound boxer?. Junior was so good they actually invented a title for him! Junior was, and may still be, the closest thing to a video game athlete in boxing. Power? Check. Lightning speed? Check. Showmanship? BIG check. Do yourself a favor and go to www.youtube.com right now and type his name in. Now I hope you know what I mean. He is ?Mr. Unstoppable?. The Fight Night series would not be the same without him.

Sergio ?The Snake? Mora: Also known as the ?Latin Snake? I can say that, in all honesty, this guy is one of the coolest dudes in the game. He is brutally honest when you talk to him about boxing and one of the funniest guys to be around. The fight game is better for him in it. When we hosted the FNR4 community day he took a very real and honest interest in the Fight Night community and offered the FNR4 design team tremendously valuable insight into making FNR4. It was no surprise that he named Roberto Duran his favorite boxer of all time when I asked him because, as he said, Duran had that toughness you see so often in Mexican fighters. He is tough. He works very hard. He knows the game. Now, his is ?In the Game? and this is a HUGE add. He was the best in Ray Leonard?s ?The Contender? and on June 27th he faces Kelly Pavlik. He is an underdog in that fight but Mora has always been the underdog. Something tells me that the Pavlik fight will be the best fight of 2009.

Kelly ?The Ghost? Pavlik: Pavlik fights with a style that I for one find VERY entertaining. He?s tough and can pop his opponent with every shot in the book. His defense is a relentless offense. He throws shots in bunches and works inside and out with equal proficiency. Did he stumble against Bernard Hopkins? Yes. But he was going up in weight and I think fighting at 160 which is clearly his natural and most effective weight. He brings it every minute of every round.

Vinny ?The Pazmanian Devil? Paz: Paz won title belts at lightweight, junior middleweight and super middleweight. He was a very likeable boxer who had power and undeniable toughness in the ring. He was dominated by Roy Jones, Jr. but did beat Roberto Duran. Paz is one of those guys you are going to fight as in FNR4 especially with the ability to work ?inside? because the Pazmanian Devil was very strong.

Jermain ?Bad Intentions? Taylor: Taylor has always been a visibly talented fighter. He beat Bernard Hopkins in 2005 and that win really put Taylor in the map as an exceptional boxer. He has a long reach and does put on a great show. He obviously struggled against Pavlik losing both fights (I really hope you are reading this raczilla) and had a draw against Winky Wright but showed in every fight rarely seen flashes of power and quickness. He is only 30 and I for one think he is the type of fighter that can dominate in FNR4.

I think the newest five boxers in FNR4 add a lot of dimension and excitement to FNR4. What do you think?

http://insideblog.easports.com/archive/2009/04/13/weighing-in-2nd-roster-release.aspx

The roster is looking really nice. I'm hoping there's some more boxers. Like Cotto, Holyfield, Mayweather, Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson would be cool.

JayJ44

Starter
Mike Mahar, producer Styles make fights. It’s an old boxing adage that succinctly describes how the boxing styles of two combatants determines the type of fight they will have. If you put two cutesy southpaw counter-punchers in against each other and you’re probably not looking forward to a barnburning slugfest. If you put to face-first, take-two-to-give-one sluggers in against each other and you probably won’t have an exhibition of outstanding defensive technique on your hands. Creating a diverse set of boxing styles for the AI in Fight Night Round 4 has been a focus since the early stages of development. There are a lot of things that make up a boxer’s style. First off, you have the stance: orthodox or southpaw. An interesting twist in Fight Night Round 4 is the addition of independent power ratings for each hand. This allows you to make a southpaw boxer with a dominant right hand, or vice versa. The boxing world is full of natural southpaws that were converted to fight right-handed by trainers early in their career. In Fight Night Round 4 you can simulate that effect with created boxers and you can expect licensed boxers that fought this way to have their attributes reflect that.
The way a boxer positions their feet and holds their hands is probably one of the most recognizable facets of their boxing style. It’s the kind of thing that you can look at for one or two seconds and get a sense for what kind of boxer they are. Boxers like Roy Jones Jr, George Foreman and Emanuel Augustus are very distinct from one another. Roy holds his lead hand low baiting his opponents to throw something so he can use his speed and reflexes to defend and counter. George Foreman held his hands high and stalked towards his opponents waiting to unleash the fury the moment their backs touched the ropes. Emanuel Augustus, well, I don’t think anybody has really figured that guy out just yet. Fight Night Round 4 features a wide variety of different ways for boxers to stand and hold their hands that allows us to recreate the style of all the licensed boxers and allows you, the user, to create a huge variety of virtual opponents.
ForemanHaymakerBG_5F00_01_5F00_jen.jpg

On top of the boxer’s stance and hand position there are a 3 different base punch styles and 3 different base block styles to choose from. With the new physics system, the different punches and block styles have subtle differences in how the punches contact the target or how the blocks cover against incoming punches. Another interesting addition in Fight Night Round 4 is the ability to select your boxer’s best punch and give it a boost. This doesn’t make it a crazy animation. Joe Frazier’s left hook didn’t look really different than other left hooks – until it landed. No more Sinister Cross or Judge Jab. The system is more balanced but it still allows us to customize fighters to match their real life counterparts.
But a boxer’s style really comes down to their strategic approach when they step inside the ropes. For Fight Night Round 4 we developed 8 base boxing styles that we assigned to every licensed boxer. Then we tweaked and tuned these base styles to make them each boxer’s strengths and mimic the way they fight (or fought) in real life. The 8 base styles include:
Conventional Boxer: A boxer that sticks to the fundamentals and tries to set things up with the jab.
Unconventional Boxer: A boxer that eschews the fundamentals for a more dynamic approach.
Slugger: A roughhouse power puncher that likes to throw bombs, thinks the best defense is a good offense.
Brawler: Another power puncher, but one that shows more defensive ability.
Counter Puncher: A slippery, in-the-pocket defensive style fighter.
Boxer Puncher: A boxer that takes a conventional approach to setting up his big punches at medium distance.
Inside Fighter: A close range boxer-puncher that moves his head and tries to control the ring and work the body.
Outside Fighter: A stick and move fighter that focuses on keeping the opponent at the end of their punches.
RoyJonesStance01_5F00_jen.jpg

One of the really great things it that using the Create Boxer feature, you can assign one of these 8 base styles to any boxer you create, which allows you to ensure that when you create one of your favorite legends and import him into your Legacy Mode as an opponent, he won’t end up dancing around the ring when you want him to be an aggressive puncher. When it all comes together and you combine the different animations, boxer styles and boxer attributes with the differences in height and reach, you can really see big diversity between the boxers you face inside the ropes in Fight Night Round 4.
http://blog.fightnight.easports.com/archive/2009/04/17/boxer-styles-in-fight-night-round-4.aspx

JayJ44

Starter
New Boxers Revealed

Manny Pacquiao

Nickname: Pac Man
Hometown, Country: General Santos City, Philippines
Height: 5'6?"
Weight (lbs): 147
Reach (inches): 67
Fight Record: 48 wins (36 KOs)/3 losses/2 draws
Weight Class: Welterweight

fight-night-round-4-20090424014711089-000.jpg
Manny Pacquiao

fight-night-round-4-20090424014702011-000.jpg
Busted Face

Miguel Cotto

Nickname: Junito
Hometown, Country: Cagaus, Puerto Rico
Height: 5'7"
Reach (inches): 67
Fight Record: 33 wins (27 KOs)/1 loss/0 draws

fight-night-round-4-20090424014734417-000.jpg
Miguel Cotto

fight-night-round-4-20090424014726464-000.jpg
Pacquiao gets rocked.

Ronald Wright

Nickname: Winky
Hometown, Country: Washington DC, United States
Height (inches): 5'10?"
Weight (lbs): 160
Reach (inches): 72
Fight Record: 51 wins (25 KOs)/5 losses/1 draw
Weight Class: Middleweight

fight-night-round-4-20090424014730417-000.jpg
Winky Wright

fight-night-round-4-20090424014658308-000.jpg
It's like a kiss, but harder.

Emanuel Augustus

Nickname: None
Hometown, Country: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Weight (lbs): 143
Reach (inches): 68
Fight Record: 38 wins (20 KOs)/30 losses/6 draws

fight-night-round-4-20090424014714574-000.jpg
Emanuel Augustus

fight-night-round-4-20090424014650605-000.jpg
Wrong sport for a glass jaw.

Nate Campbell

Nickname: The Galaxy Warrior
Hometown, Country: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Weight (lbs): 134
Reach (inches): 72
Fight Record: 33 wins (25 KOs)/5 losses/1 draw
Weight Class: Lightweight

fight-night-round-4-20090424014758714-000.jpg
Nate Campbell

fight-night-round-4-20090424014706324-000.jpg
If only our Nate could punch like that.

Corey Spinks

Nickname: Next Generation
Hometown, Country: St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Height: 5'9?"
Weight (lbs): 154
Reach (inches): 71
Fight Record: 36 wins (11 KOs)/5 losses/0 draws
Weight Class: Middleweight

fight-night-round-4-20090424014737855-000.jpg

Corey Spinks
fight-night-round-4-20090424014718433-000.jpg

Feeling the jinx yet?

Vivian Harris

Nickname: Vicious
Hometown, Country: Georgetown, Guyana
Height: 5'11"
Weight (lbs): 140
Reach (inches): 74
Fight Record: 29 wins (19 KOs)/3 losses/2 draws

fight-night-round-4-20090424014741667-000.jpg

Vivian Harris
fight-night-round-4-20090424014646183-000.jpg

Don't make fun of his name.

Kermit Cintron

Nickname: The Killer, El Asesino
Hometown, Country: Caroline, Puerto Rico
Height: 5'11"
Reach (inches): 74
Fight Record: 30 wins (27 KOs)/2 losses/1 draw

fight-night-round-4-20090424014754948-000.jpg

Kermit Cintron
fight-night-round-4-20090424014802605-000.jpg

This guy ain't no frog.

Ricky Hatton

Nickname: The Hitman
Hometown, Country: Stockport, Great Manchester, United Kingdom
Height: 5'7?"
Weight (lbs): 140
Reach (inches): 65
Fight Record: 45 wins (32 KOs)/1 loss/0 draws

fight-night-round-4-20090424014750433-000.jpg

Ricky Hatton
fight-night-round-4-20090424014745995-000.jpg

One tough ***********.

JayJ44

Starter
Final Roster, Legacy Mode

Final Roster:
Amin Asikainen
Anthony Mundine
Arementa
Arthur Abraham
Arturo Gatti
Billy Dib
Carlos Monzon
Corey Spinks
Diego Corrales
Eddie Chambers
Edwim Valero
Emanuel Agustus
Erik Morales
Fernando Montiel
George Foreman
Jake Lamotta
James Toney
Jermaine Taylor
Joe Calzaghe
Joe Frazier
Jorge Armando Arce
Julio Caesar Chavez
Kelly Pavlik
Kermit Cinteron
Lennox Lewis
Manny Pacquiao
Marco Antonio Barrera
Marvin Hagler
Miguel Cotto
Mike Tyson
Muhammad Ali
Nate Campbell
Nonito Donair
Paulie Malignaggi
Pernell Whittaker
Ray Leonard
Ray Robinson
Ricky Hatton
Roberto Duran
Roberto Guerrero
Ronald "Winky" Wright
Roy Jones Jr.
Sergio Mora
Shane Mosely
Thomas Hearns
Tommy Morrison
Victor Ortiz
Vinny Paz
Vivian Harris
Yuriorkis Gamboa

Legacy Mode Features

-There will be LEGACY RATINGS to achieve from "Bum", "Prospect", "Club Fighter", "Contender", "Champion", "Superstar", "Hall of Famer", "Ring Legend" and "Greatest of All Time"

-These Legacy Ratings will have several achievements that each fighter will have to satisfy to move to the next like: win percentage, popularity level, rank, number of fights, televised/PPV events, winning titles, defending titles

-These achievements can be changed/tweaked by the user in Legacy Setup.

-Quick KOs will earn you more popularity. Longer 12-round wars will help you more in stats and can be rewarded with rematch request.

-There are ESPN Pay-Per-Views that fighters can fight on undercards or for main events.

-There are eight weight classes to fight in. Flyweight, bantumweight, featheweight, lightweight, welterweight, middle weight, light heavyweight, heavyweight.

-Each weight class will have 3 separate belts to win. One of which is called the EABF. It's logical to assume the other two are called the EABA and the EABC(or EABO).

-User fighters can move up weight classes. AI fighters will also move up and down weightclasses as well.

-Rilvaries in Legacy Mode are more fluid and sensible than in Round 3's career mode. In other words, if you and a AI fighter fought at welterweight in a 12-round battle, then it is likely there could be a rematch(or rubbermatch) in the middleweight division.

-There are rankings for each individual weight class as well as an overall pound-for-pound ranking.

-12 User CABs(Create-A-Boxer) can be supplemented into Legacy Mode at set up.

-"Legacy Central"(Legacy Mode main screen) will allow users to schedule their next fight, view their last fight(not watch), get advice from their trainer, view their popularity, rank and pound-for-pound rank.

-When fights are scheduled, it's done on a "Fight Calander". Each fight, when scheduled will feature several days preceeding the bout for training camp.

-There are six training games to choose from: "Open Sparring", "Stay on Your Feet", "Heavy Bag Combos", "Heavy Bag Push", "Double End Bag" and "Maize Bag"

-Each career in Legacy Mode begins with amateur bouts, which can be skipped.

-You can be called out by rivals or you can be pick or select lesser skilled fighters(ie tune-up/"Rocky" events)

-You can create your own fighter or use a fighter from the roster in Legacy Mode.

-Wear and tear does come into play when deciding when to take fights. You can decide to take fights on short notice(and not have fully recovered) or you can give your body some time to heal.

"Your Legacy Meter is made up of two things, your Popularity and your Pound for Pound rating. Your Popularity is based on how exciting your boxer is to watch: Does he knock people out, does he have 12 round wars? Your popularity can go up even if you lose, as long as you’re exciting. Your Pound for Pound rating is entirely different. It measures your technical proficiency. Do you waste punches? How’s your accuracy? Can you counter effectively? That 12 round slugfest you lost probably did wonders for your Popularity, but it won’t be helping your Pound for Pound rating, and you need both to become the greatest.

You’ll also be fighting against father time. Many boxers are way past their prime once they hit their late 30’s and the game will reflect that. As your fighter ages, doing the training exercises that once improved your stats will only sustain them, and eventually will only manage their decline. The good thing about Legacy mode is that what you must do to become the Greatest of All Time will be fairly clear. For example, at the end of your career you’ll be able to see that if you beat two more top contenders, you will be known as the greatest, but it won’t be easy because those fighters are deadly and if you lose to them you could be knocked out into retirement and obscurity."

This will be the greatest boxing game of all time. The demo is now available on PSN and Xbox live. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment, so if anyone has it, tell me how it is.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
no floyd mayweather? why and dayum.

this game is going to be sick def buying it.

my list of games im def getting over the coming months include

fight night, madden ( sick) nba 2k10 ( obviously) fifa, and maybe a nice shooter game.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, I was pissed when I saw no Mayweather. I think it has something to do with Mayweather wanting a lot of money, which makes sense knowing him lol.

Another guy I wanted was Evander Holyfield. Maybe they'll be available to download later on.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
no bernard hopkins either looks like im just gonna fight with my dude Jermaine Taylor and make my own character for career mode loll.

but what im really waiting for is madden that shit looks sick

JayJ44

Starter
I just got the game today, and it's pretty sick. The graphics are the best I've ever seen in any video game. It feels like a real boxing match, it's pretty crazy. It's different from round 3, so it takes some getting used. I was playing for like 4 straight hours lol. The game does a good job of emulating how the boxer fights in real life. I'm gonna start the legacy mode tomorrow. :)

My only problem is that they seem to put too much stock in to counter punching. From what I've seen, it's the only way to knock a boxer out. Ex. I was fighting against Manny Pacquiao with Miguel Cotto, and I dominated him most of the fight. All of a sudden, he gets a couple of counter punches in the 8th round, and he knocks me out. Kind of annoying, but it's probably something you get used to. Also, they really underrated Mike Tyson. They didn't do a good job of representing just how beastly he was. They made himm too slow, just not as good as he should be.

I only played for a couple hours, but I defenitely recommend it. It's got one of the biggest rosters I've ever seen in a boxing game. Great game.