Anyone remember these comments from Marbury????

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
Well, I remembered them and after reading some of the threads here this afternoon I decided to bring it up.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E00E7DD1E38F931A25757C0A96F958260

''They still need a point guard,'' Marbury said after the two Knick playmakers forced him into his worst performance as a Net. ''They'll never win a championship with those two guys. Never, ever, never. Never continuous to eternity, decimal, decimal, decimal. They might not even make the playoffs"
----------
That matchup came while the Knicks were still hopeful of making Marbury, a Brooklyn native who grew up dreaming of playing for his hometown team, a part of their franchise. And Marbury, aware that he was coveted by the Knicks, used Ward's surprising performance as an opportunity to knock him.

''If he can play like that every night, you all won't need a point guard,'' Marbury said, before turning the knife. ''But what are the chances?''

Because Ward and Childs split time, they essentially consider themselves one point guard. So Childs, the backup, took umbrage with Marbury's comment and today used it as fuel to play a brilliant defensive game that had the Nets' star looking frustrated.

''We took offense at that, saying that we needed a point guard,'' Childs said after today's game. ''We wanted to come out and prove that two point guards can get the job done defensively as well as offensively.''
----------------------------
When asked if the Knicks could win a title with him, he answered as expected. ''What do you think?'' Marbury asked reporters. ''What's my numbers and what's their numbers. That's my response.''

Marbury entered the game averaging 20.1 points, 8.3 assists and 3.4 turnovers, compared with Childs's and Ward's combined average of 15.6 points, 9.4 assists and 4.8 turnovers.

That is not enough production for the Knicks, according to Marbury. ''They're not the guards that you need to win a championship,'' he reiterated. ''It's just not going to happen.''

It's unfortunate that he's always opened his mouth way too soon...
I like Steph and I played ball with one of his cousins in my neighborhood (bball must run in the fam; as well as running the mouth too soon). but no matter how much we like him, I think this is a big year for him and IT the most. Hopefully he's really found himself/jesus and he can settle down and ball... + they shouldnt really let him speak to the media too much. he practiced balling his whole life not English.

lets not forget Patrick used to run his mouth a lot too. I was one that while I loved Patrick and I practiced his fadeaway to death; he needed to be fitted for a muzzle as well

Last edited:
At least when Pat spoke he didn't sound high . Pat was the proven leader of our team when he was running his mouth, what has marbury proven besides the fact that he loves to run it (his mouth not the team). I was excited when we pulled off the trade to get Marbury but for the last two years I've been regreting the move. Marbury might be the best scoring PG in the leage and yes his defence has improved but he is not a facilitator or the ball or a leader for our team. I see Q or M. Rose call the players together to talk when things aren't going good, all I see Marbury do is hit the bench and cover his head up with towels(in shame I imagine). We will be better off cap wise and team chemistry wise once he's gone.

naterob4

Benchwarmer
hes competative and doesnt give a f***. its just steph being steph. dude doesnt like to lose or get beat i love that in my point guard.

I also like a little PG in my teams PG and his true spot on the team should be at the SG spot. Steph loves to go to the paint draw fouls and score, there's no one (PG) better in the game at it. He is valuable to us just not as a floor general or team leader.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I also like a little PG in my teams PG and his true spot on the team should be at the SG spot. Steph loves to go to the paint draw fouls and score, there's no one (PG) better in the game at it. He is valuable to us just not as a floor general or team leader.

I agree 100%. I thought Larry Brown would move Steph to the 2 spot and bring in a new PG. The only problem is we've got too many guards to move Steph. What about Crawford, Richardson, Robinson, Jones? There needs to be some two and three for one trades. May be we could Start Q at the 3, Steph at the 2, bench Crawford and bring in Steve Blake and cut one of the newbies.

Curry
Randolph
Richardson
Marbury
Blake

That actually looks pretty good. Let Marbury loose.

NYC-BOY

Benchwarmer
He was

Wow and Isiah finally figured it out that it would be better to let Steph play the 2. Although he didnt do well today he still is more suited for the 2 especially when curry wasnt in the paint Marbury was able to slash to the whole.
Im glad the coach had a pretty good game plan set up today that worked well. Although this was a preseason game it didnt look like one to me.

:gony: