Still no Lee or Nate

LJ4ptplay

Starter
OK. There's nothing left to do this offseason but sign Lee and Nate to 1 year deals. Walsh wants to sign them for 1 year, it seems like Nate and Lee have accepted that reality.....so what's the hold up?? A few million? What's the point of Donnie low-balling them for 1 year? Training camp is less than 2 weeks away.

At this point I'm hoping for sign and trades. Lee and Nate are 1 year rentals like Darko. We can't afford to retain the Bird Rights of Lee, Nate, Harrington, Darko, Duhon or Hughes. We might as well try to get some talent for the future.

Kiyaman

Legend
It is September 15, 2009

It is September 15, 2009
<HR style="COLOR: #989898; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #989898" SIZE=1>The fact of "Lee & Nate" being the Knicks top two players asked for in trades since the hiring of President Donnie Walsh over a year ago are still unsigned restricted FA in the middle of September. should leave a big "question-mark" on how Knick management relationship with its players situation stay unresolve.
We are talking about 2 players not one-player.
Walsh should've resolve situations with at least one of the players by now.
Walsh is to busy
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
It has become a situation of "Bussiness or Personal" with President Donnie Walsh.
Has Donnie Walsh 17 months as the Knick President been bussiness as usual or personal towards NBA players?
The 2010 Plan can not be Donnie Walsh excuse for being incompetent throughout two seasons in a row. Why?

The Knicks 2010 Plan only meant trading 3 or 4 players contracts for shorter contracts within 2-offseasons and 2-trading deadlines....that's it.
It does not stop the rebuilding of a team to improve each season.

TunerAddict

Starter
It is September 15, 2009
<hr style="color: rgb(152, 152, 152); background-color: rgb(152, 152, 152);" size="1">The fact of "Lee & Nate" being the Knicks top two players asked for in trades since the hiring of President Donnie Walsh over a year ago are still unsigned restricted FA in the middle of September. should leave a big "question-mark" on how Knick management relationship with its players situation stay unresolve.
We are talking about 2 players not one-player.
Walsh should've resolve situations with at least one of the players by now.
Walsh is to busy
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
It has become a situation of "Bussiness or Personal" with President Donnie Walsh.
Has Donnie Walsh 17 months as the Knick President been bussiness as usual or personal towards NBA players?
The 2010 Plan can not be Donnie Walsh excuse for being incompetent throughout two seasons in a row. Why?

The Knicks 2010 Plan only meant trading 3 or 4 players contracts for shorter contracts within 2-offseasons and 2-trading deadlines....that's it.
It does not stop the rebuilding of a team to improve each season.

I seriously have no idea what you're saying. Nothing personal or negative, I just really can't understand what your point is here. Its a little bit of a mishmash of stuff.

GetRealistic

Starter
I seriously have no idea what you're saying. Nothing personal or negative, I just really can't understand what your point is here. Its a little bit of a mishmash of stuff.

Pretty sure he doesn't even know what hes trying to say half the time... He just likes hearing himself talk...

What are they going to do hold out? Nate and lee have no leverage.. They'll sign.. Does it really matter if they sign today or 10 minutes before training camp? There both working out at the MSG complex so they pretty much realize they'll be back here on one year deals. And if Lee continues to improve he'll be back next year (if his contract demands become more reasonable) and its possible that Nate comes back...

The most important part of this season is Gallinari becoming a special player... Its tough to put this on a 20 year old but he is the key to the future and possibly the key to us attracting outside talent.

I know its a major If, but if Gallnari fufills the promise and ability we all know he has (even the haters realize he has special talent) we really won't need to land a big time second player because Gallo would be the second player. We'd be in the market for a 3rd player to go along with Lebron and that would make the salary cap less of an issue. I don't have the free agent list in front of me but theres other players who aren't max contract players that could help this team.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Why do people just overlook Chandler and immediately annoint Gallo as our savior? Isn't Chandler the one who has improved his game each season? He's the most complete player on the team.

Kiyaman

Legend

u r always worried about what the next-man have to say....get a life or an opinion.

Kiyaman

Legend
Pretty sure he doesn't even know what hes trying to say half the time... He just likes hearing himself talk...

What are they going to do hold out? Nate and lee have no leverage.. They'll sign.. Does it really matter if they sign today or 10 minutes before training camp? There both working out at the MSG complex so they pretty much realize they'll be back here on one year deals. And if Lee continues to improve he'll be back next year (if his contract demands become more reasonable) and its possible that Nate comes back...

The most important part of this season is Gallinari becoming a special player... Its tough to put this on a 20 year old but he is the key to the future and possibly the key to us attracting outside talent.

I know its a major If, but if Gallnari fufills the promise and ability we all know he has (even the haters realize he has special talent) we really won't need to land a big time second player because Gallo would be the second player. We'd be in the market for a 3rd player to go along with Lebron and that would make the salary cap less of an issue. I don't have the free agent list in front of me but theres other players who aren't max contract players that could help this team.

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Kiyaman

Legend
Why do people just overlook Chandler and immediately annoint Gallo as our savior? Isn't Chandler the one who has improved his game each season? He's the most complete player on the team.

:agreed:
Wilson Chandler turned out to be a superb complete player at the SF position.
I'm really hoping (for the sake of some members) that Gallo dont turn out to be a BUST.
It is obvious, as long as Lee and Chandler are Knicks....Gallo and Harrington will always be a back-up bench player on this team.

:update:
:update:
u have alot of Knick forums on the web posting what is the hold-up on Lee & Nate being unsigned in mid September?
will they be apart of a sign and trade during training-camp?

JayJ44

Starter

Well first of all, Chandler didn't really improve that much from his rookie year to his 2nd year, he just got more minutes. In fact, his per 36 minute stats for his 1st two years are nearly identical. The Wilson Chandler we saw in March/April in the 2007-2008 season is basically the same player we saw last season.

Anyway, to answer your question, the reason people overlook Chandler in favor of Gallo is that Gallo is the better prospect. He succeeded at a young age in the highest level of competition outside the NBA. Gallo has excellent ball handling, shooting, passing, court vision and a high basketball IQ. Chandler doesn't have any of these qualities. Last season, with about 13 FGA per game, he put up 14 points on 43FG%. That's pretty dismal. Offensively, he didn't really show us anything last season. Despite his athletic abilities, he chose to put up jumpers far more often than drive to the basket, even though he isn't a very good jumpshooter. Not to hate on Chandler, but Gallo is by far the better player and prospect, no comparison.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well first of all, Chandler didn't really improve that much from his rookie year to his 2nd year, he just got more minutes. In fact, his per 36 minute stats for his 1st two years are nearly identical. The Wilson Chandler we saw in March/April in the 2007-2008 season is basically the same player we saw last season.

Anyway, to answer your question, the reason people overlook Chandler in favor of Gallo is that Gallo is the better prospect. He succeeded at a young age in the highest level of competition outside the NBA. Gallo has excellent ball handling, shooting, passing, court vision and a high basketball IQ. Chandler doesn't have any of these qualities. Last season, with about 13 FGA per game, he put up 14 points on 43FG%. That's pretty dismal. Offensively, he didn't really show us anything last season. Despite his athletic abilities, he chose to put up jumpers far more often than drive to the basket, even though he isn't a very good jumpshooter. Not to hate on Chandler, but Gallo is by far the better player and prospect, no comparison.

JayJ44.....I did not see all the things u mentioned about Gallo in the 28 games he played. Truth be said in discussion in any N.Y. B-Ball tournament parks this summer is "Gallo is still living off of his draft-hype with an injury rookie season.".
And the next highest level of basketball outside the NBA is the thousands of big-money street ball tournaments all over the USA. The teams and players in these tournaments still impress NBA players. For 40 years its been consider a scouts heaven for the Euro League.

Wilson Chandler was very very impressive his 2nd season in the NBA after being DNP 80% of his rookie season. Plus Chandler was forced to play over half his 2nd season in other positions than the SF position.

JayJ44

Starter
JayJ44.....I did not see all the things u mentioned about Gallo in the 28 games he played. Truth be said in discussion in any N.Y. B-Ball tournament parks this summer is "Gallo is still living off of his draft-hype with an injury rookie season.".
And the next highest level of basketball outside the NBA is the thousands of big-money street ball tournaments all over the USA. The teams and players in these tournaments still impress NBA players. For 40 years its been consider a scouts heaven for the Euro League.

Wilson Chandler was very very impressive his 2nd season in the NBA after being DNP 80% of his rookie season. Plus Chandler was forced to play over half his 2nd season in other positions than the SF position.

For proof of what I said about Gallo, just check out the video in my sig. Euroleague is better than any streetball tournament. Most of the guys that play on the street could never make it in a professional league. I don't see how it matters that Chandler played in other positions other than SF. Most, if not all, NBA players play more than one position on the floor.

Kiyaman

Legend
Sept. 15th best Read on Lee & Nate

A source said the Robinson situation has dragged on because the Knicks established it as a priority in free agency to determine the fate of restricted free-agent forward David Lee before addressing Robinson. If there is a sign-and-trade done for Lee, pieces brought back could affect how the Knicks look at Robinson.

"Nothing is done yet, but we're talking,'' Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday in an interview with FanHouse about his client. "There are still some sign-and-trade scenarios that are being discussed or going back to the Knicks.''

Bartelstein said that, if Lee were to return to New York, it would be on a one-year deal. That would be to preserve the Knicks' cap money for next summer.

A source close to the situation said Lee has no interest in returning to the Knicks for an amount equal to his $2.7 million qualifying offer. In order to get Lee, who averaged 16.0 points and 11.7 rebounds last season, into training camp on time, New York would need to offer a one-year deal worth a good bit more.

Bartelstein wouldn't talk money. However, he expressed confidence Lee would start training camp on time with the Knicks barring a sign-and-trade to another team.

A message left for Knicks president Donnie Walsh was not immediately returned.

Truth be told
you cant knock chandler for being a 3 and taking allot of jumpers.
the offense provides many open looks for wing players.
Marion you could say shot way more 3s in pho than he should have, but its a product of the environment. which Is why I feel you will see chandler spending more time at the 4 similar to how Mike D wound up using marion in his second season with pho, allowing gallinari to get the open looks chandler and q rich were getting last season. That alone will make gallinari and chandler more productive offensively.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
A source said the Robinson situation has dragged on because the Knicks established it as a priority in free agency to determine the fate of restricted free-agent forward David Lee before addressing Robinson. If there is a sign-and-trade done for Lee, pieces brought back could affect how the Knicks look at Robinson.

"Nothing is done yet, but we're talking,'' Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday in an interview with FanHouse about his client. "There are still some sign-and-trade scenarios that are being discussed or going back to the Knicks.''

Bartelstein said that, if Lee were to return to New York, it would be on a one-year deal. That would be to preserve the Knicks' cap money for next summer.

A source close to the situation said Lee has no interest in returning to the Knicks for an amount equal to his $2.7 million qualifying offer. In order to get Lee, who averaged 16.0 points and 11.7 rebounds last season, into training camp on time, New York would need to offer a one-year deal worth a good bit more.

Bartelstein wouldn't talk money. However, he expressed confidence Lee would start training camp on time with the Knicks barring a sign-and-trade to another team.

A message left for Knicks president Donnie Walsh was not immediately returned.

We might as well sign and trade him. He's not coming back next year. We can not afford to retain his Bird Rights so essentially he'll be a 1 year rental this year, like Darko. If we can at least get some young/cheap talent for the future, it's worth it. The ideal situation would be to unload Curry in the process.

Portland is still very interested. They've recently said they would like to add another big man, that's a team oriented, hustle player. Lee for Fernandez and Blake or Outlaw would be nice. We would at least have our starting SG set for the future.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Truth be told
you cant knock chandler for being a 3 and taking allot of jumpers.
the offense provides many open looks for wing players.
Marion you could say shot way more 3s in pho than he should have, but its a product of the environment. which Is why I feel you will see chandler spending more time at the 4 similar to how Mike D wound up using marion in his second season with pho, allowing gallinari to get the open looks chandler and q rich were getting last season. That alone will make gallinari and chandler more productive offensively.

Chandler at the 4, like Marion, could be nice. They shoot about the same 3-pt %. I think he would have to add 10-15 pounds to succeed at it though. He does have good shot-blocking skills which we need in the post.

Mr.Nine

Rookie
The Knicks need to sign both of them back or sign & trade Lee for Monta Ellis. They could even throw Jeffries or Nate with Lee. It would work for both teams and any big name 2010 free agents about to enter the prime of the career will want to come to a team that has some sort of team with players around them.