Knicks Should have kept Gallo , Walsh was a SemiGood GM

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Excuse Me?

Using the deal (Melo) that basically caused Walsh to quit, as the crux of your critique of him is disingenuous at best, and patently unfair at worst.

The worst move he made turns out having given up Zach Randolph for too little, but this is hindsight because no one could have known at the time that he would ever learn how to pass out of the double-team; and anyway at the time a salary-dump made sense.

You could also argue that D'Antoni has been a bigger mistake, but he will turn out to have been a reasonable interim coach for the team.

Otherwise, Walsh has been close to brilliant in getting the team to where it has flexibility.

Tonight and his post-lockout consulting on free agents will hopefully cement his legacy with the Knicks.

HELL to the N to the O!!! Keep that scrub far away from the knicks as possible. The only time I want to see him is when he plays against the Knicks and gets his ass handed to him. The league has also wised up during the post season. Gallos flopping and fake fouls will be to a minimal....hurting his game big time.

I wouldn't mind Chandler coming back thou. Denver is not going to use all those forwards and Wilson's defense will be needed.

metrocard

Legend
Melo's shot selection will be the death of us.

I rather have Gallo and invest in more money in a position more needed like PG.

We already had small forwards in Gallo/Fields/Chandler...didn't make sense in upgrading in the same position that wasn't a problem when we clearly needed a PG or a defensive big man.

This trade looks nice because its Carmelo Anthony, but logically speaking it isn't an optimizing trade for the franchise in terms of overall team attributes. We're not a balanced team to keep it simple.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Melo's shot selection will be the death of us.

I rather have Gallo and invest in more money in a position more needed like PG.

We already had small forwards in Gallo/Fields/Chandler...didn't make sense in upgrading in the same position that wasn't a problem when we clearly needed a PG or a defensive big man.

This trade looks nice because its Carmelo Anthony, but logically speaking it isn't an optimizing trade for the franchise in terms of overall team attributes. We're not a balanced team to keep it simple.

Melo gives us more than those 3 players combined especially when you add in Melo + whoever else replaces those players in the rotation. Spreading production over 3 players is never as good as getting it from one star. We can and will replace our role players...stars like Melo are few and far between.

metrocard

Legend
Well head to head, Melo gives us more compared to teach of those players, but I believe in order to be a successful winning basketball team, we need to build around the team and not worry about so much about acquiring the best talent.

Look at Dallas for example, or the Grizzlies, Bulls...although these teams are defensive minded(as we should be) Its going to be hard for us to change that with D'Antoni.

So I'm not even sure.

I can't say I know.

But I feel like we didn't Melo as badly, it was just a cute move to do to please the fans for the time being. Gallo could of put it a valuable effort the 3 with his IQ, slashing and 3pt range(not as consistent as Melo, but very servicable), and we would of had a chance to move up in the draft or trade for a Deron Williams or something to that level.

You feel me?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Well head to head, Melo gives us more compared to teach of those players, but I believe in order to be a successful winning basketball team, we need to build around the team and not worry about so much about acquiring the best talent.

Look at Dallas for example, or the Grizzlies, Bulls...although these teams are defensive minded(as we should be) Its going to be hard for us to change that with D'Antoni.

So I'm not even sure.

I can't say I know.

But I feel like we didn't Melo as badly, it was just a cute move to do to please the fans for the time being. Gallo could of put it a valuable effort the 3 with his IQ, slashing and 3pt range(not as consistent as Melo, but very servicable), and we would of had a chance to move up in the draft or trade for a Deron Williams or something to that level.

You feel me?

I understand but if you use Dallas you must first understand that Dirk is that elite talent like Melo. They built a team around Dirk and hopefully the Knicks will do the same. Amare is great but is not in Melo's or Dirk's level. Now that we have are true superstar alongside a perennial all-star we can focus on building a deep team of complimentary role players.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Melo gives us more than those 3 players combined especially when you add in Melo + whoever else replaces those players in the rotation. Spreading production over 3 players is never as good as getting it from one star. We can and will replace our role players...stars like Melo are few and far between.

quoted for truth..

metrocard

Legend
I understand but if you use Dallas you must first understand that Dirk is that elite talent like Melo. They built a team around Dirk and hopefully the Knicks will do the same. Amare is great but is not in Melo's or Dirk's level. Now that we have are true superstar alongside a perennial all-star we can focus on building a deep team of complimentary role players.

Amare isn't on Melo's or Dirk's level? I don't believe that. Amare was getting MVP consideration this season, and I'll take Amare over Melo just based on the fact Amare is just better. You're overrating Melo ALOT right now.

metrocard

Legend
I have as much love for Amare as the next Knicks fan does but every GM in the NBA takes Melo over Amare

You spoke to every GM in the NBA to confirm that? You didn't. So that isn't true.

Amare brings more rebounding, inside scoring, higher FG% scoring, shot blocking and help defense, and consistency than Carmelo.

I'll start my team with Amare than Melo any day, especially Amare in his prime who no one could **** with, not even a prime Tim Duncan in the playoffs back a couple years ago.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Amare isn't on Melo's or Dirk's level? I don't believe that. Amare was getting MVP consideration this season, and I'll take Amare over Melo just based on the fact Amare is just better. You're overrating Melo ALOT right now.

Nah, don't get me wrong...I love Amare and think he is elite I just think he is a step below the true cream of the crop. (Dirk, Melo, Wade, Lebron for first 3 quarters etc.)

I thin he got MVP consideration because of two things:

1)The Knicks were overachieving at a time beyond the experts predictions.

2)Amare was def going nuts, leading the league in PPG for a time.

That said, his style of play is not that of someone who can lead a team on his back for a long stretches and to a chip like other elites. Amare has always been the 2nd best player on a team except for that 3/4's of a season prior to trading for Melo.