Mike D'antoni has done his job this year...OH REALLY??

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Oh, is that so? So we gotta wise guy, eh? :3stooges:

uhh...oh yea, so right now we have 29 wins and 44 losses. 29 plus 44 equals 73, which means we have 8 games left.

Last year we won 23 games....2 years ago, we won 33 games.

2 years ago, we won 33 games.

2 years ago, we won 33 games.

I think I made my point.

Heres our team from 2 years ago:

Marbury
Crawford
Q-Rich
Eddy Curry
David Lee
Channing Frye
Nate Robinson
Steve Francis
Renaldo Balkman
Mardy Collins
Malik Rose
Randolph Morris
Kelvin Cato
Jerome James
Jared Jeffries

And now we have this years team....

Chris Duhon
Quentin Richardson
Wilson Chandler
Nate Robinson
David Lee
Eddy Curry
Jared Jeffries
Danilo Gallinari

Al Harrington*

Larry Hughes*
Chris Wilcox*

Tim Thomas*

Jamal Crawford*
Zach Randolph*
Mardy Collins*

The asterisks are there to point out the trades...

The 2006-07 team didnt really have a coach (isiah)

This year, obviously we got D'antoni

Which team had more talent?

Keep in mind that Lee and Nate Robinson are 2 years older...and we have wilson chandler that wasnt on the team then. We also added Chris Duhon.

From the perspective of the average knicks fan, we should have been a better team because we got rid of that "cancer" marbury, added a real coach, and our young players stepped up.

Well thats obviously not the case, we probably wont even win 4 more games and tie our record from 2 years ago, when Isiah Thomas was the coach.

We're supposed to be getting better..not taking steps backward. If D'antoni kept quiet and let Donnie Walsh do the trading/drafting, we would be in a better position right now.

But D'antoni had to have Gallinari (italian connect), he had to have duhorn, and he didnt want marbury on the team.

Whats next?

D'antoni pushes Donnie Walsh to draft Chris "Cottonelle soft" Bosh??

Get the heck outta here D'antoni stans...
icon13.gif

That is all for now...thanks for your time

Bernard_King

Benchwarmer
Do you think D'Antoni is the 2nd comming of Jesus Christ? This team is not that talented for the NBA level. It does not matter who is the coach, this roster is still full of flaws and needs to be gutted.

Give D'Antoni and Walsh time before you want to pull the rug out. The best thing about D'antoni is the NBA star's like him and would love to play for him in New York.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I didnt blame any of this on walsh...as a matter of fact if walsh did his job and ignored D'antoni, we'd probably be in better shape right now.

Drafting Gallinari was a mistake...and im not hating on Gallinari, I like him (no homo) but we needed a center (lopez).

Signing Duhon was also a mistake...marbury >>

D'anphony was behind both these moves..being italian, of course he was gonna go for the italian...and he still had a personnel grudge against Marbury from 5 or 6 years ago. SMH @ Danphony holding grudges

I think his coaching is overrated...ill give him his props for being a good offensive coach, but some of his substitution patterns are questionable. The team doesnt play with enough heart, and most the time they dont play defense.

But they showed they can play defense when they want to, and they showed they can play with heart when they want to. I blame the lack of consistency on the players and on mike dantoni.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
I think D'Antoni is the best coach in NBA. As Bernard said he is coaching a non talent team and he knows allways how to receive the best from this team.
I don't agree with your idea that he is italian so he was gonna go for the italian. At this level a coach is professional and his choices are made professionally.

TunerAddict

Starter
NBA isn't about coaching, its about the players.

Coaching is minimally important, usually only in strategic instance and in terms of type of play. This isn't HS or College where tactics can play such a large role, this is the NBA.

Talent wise, we are below average. Therefore, our record will be below average.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Everybody knew the Knicks were going to be terrible this year and next year. We knew the team is in rebuilding mode. Most predictions were 25-35 wins. What's everybody crying about?

LeFlume

All Star
If you guys think that Mike D'Antoni drafted Danilo Gallinari on his own then you need to wake up. He have no time what so ever to follow college or overseas players. He have a full time job coaching an NBA team. Every organisation have scouts. The Owners, GM, Coaches, scouts and other front office people all work together to get what they think is best for the franchise.

D'Antoni can't sign any player. It's the GM who give their draft pick to David Stern and who later sign the selected player to his contract. Or maybe you think D'Antoni does that to? A coach can not act on his own even if he wanted to. It's 100% impossible. Blame Knicks as a franchise for Gallinari. Not Mike D. Besides do you guys think Donnie Walsh is retarded and that he would let Mike D'Antoni decide who he wants if scouts and other people say NO?

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Everybody knew the Knicks were going to be terrible this year and next year. We knew the team is in rebuilding mode. Most predictions were 25-35 wins. What's everybody crying about?

Exactly... And if you don't see the improvement that d'antoni and Walsh have brought here this year... You need psychiatric help.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
No, it isn't so! Basketball generally is about coaching. Often, also in NBA, the coach has a decisive role in the game. Infact, as you can see, lots of team has good players and bad game.
If you watch carefully the matches, Knicks, unlike other teams, make a better teamwork, better tactics, better defense. It's true that other teams have Lebron, Kobe, ..., but when they don't paly these teams don't play. They play like "give the ball to Kobe/Lebron/Dwight/Dwyane/... and surely he will do something good"

JayJ44

Starter
Why is the coach always the first one blamed? Our players suck, it's pretty simple. Bad players=Bad team. D'antoni isn't god, he can't turn nothing into something.

As for Gallinari, at the time, it was the best pick. You can argue that we should have drafted Lopez, which is fair, but Gallinari fits this system so well. He's a point forward, great shooter, runs the floor. He got injured unfortunately, we can only hope he makes a full recovery and comes back 100% next season.

New New York

Quiet Storm
So you are saying that Dantoni is only as good a coach as Isiah Thomas?

Look the problem has been with Knick fans the past 5 years is that we think that we should be a better team than what our record shows. Simply our expectations are never realistic! We have not been a team worthy of the playoffs since the last year we made it w/ Spree and Hou.

We are on pace to hit our projected win total, and that was considering Steph,Jamal, and Zach were still with the squad and playing big minutes.

James Dolan epitomizes the unrealistic expectations of Knick fans. Remember when he gave Isiah a one year mandate to make the team significantly better. In terms of record he did and he got an undeserved extension, now had Dolan known what most basketball fans knew, which is that you can't really judge a coach until the end of his second year with a squad, then Isiah would not still be employed by The Knicks.

My point is that we need to stop being so short sighted in being negative or hopeful with coaches their first season. Dantoni may very well not prove to be a good coach in NY, but, it is too early to judge him this season.

Consider that Byron Scott only 18 games his first season with NO, if he coached in NY, then fans would've been calling for the head of one of the best coaches in The League.

Name me one another coach who wins that many more games with this team?

Let's just be realistic about what Dantoni is working with, and remember that it has only been one season before calling him lousy.

Thanks.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I agree with MSGKnickz33. Mike D'Antoni failed to improve the team. He drafted his pet player, Danilo Gallinari over Brook Lopez, DJ Augustin, Eric Gordon, and Anthony Randolph. He also got rid of Marbury for nothing, and he got rid of Zach Randolph for ultimately Larry Hughes. D'Antoni's team has under Isiah Thomas' 33 win total. The fact that D'Antoni couldn't even match Isiah Thomas' win total shows that he failed big time, this season. The Knicks should have hired Patrick Ewing. Ewing would have done a much better job with the team, as evidence by the job he did on the Rockets and is currently doing with the Magic.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think D'Antoni is the best coach in NBA. As Bernard said he is coaching a non talent team and he knows allways how to receive the best from this team.
I don't agree with your idea that he is italian so he was gonna go for the italian. At this level a coach is professional and his choices are made professionally.
Professional? Mike D'antoni? Apparently you dont know much about him...

phoenix fans turned against him when he said the season ticket holders could hop off the bandwagon, and that the suns had plenty of new fans ready to hop on it. Im not sure what the phoenix fans were upset about but it probably had somethin to do with the teams defense and gettin owned year after year in the playoffs by the spurs.

Coaching is minimally important, usually only in strategic instance and in terms of type of play. This isn't HS or College where tactics can play such a large role, this is the NBA.

Talent wise, we are below average. Therefore, our record will be below average.
I agree with that but theres several other teams that are in the same boat as us, we gave away too many games. The fact that a team with about the same talent level won 33 games 2 years ago, and we might not even do that this year...thats not impressive to me.

This isn't a Mike D'antoni sucks thread...more like a Mike D'antoni is overrated thread.

:barf:

If you guys think that Mike D'Antoni drafted Danilo Gallinari on his own then you need to wake up. He have no time what so ever to follow college or overseas players. He have a full time job coaching an NBA team. Every organisation have scouts. The Owners, GM, Coaches, scouts and other front office people all work together to get what they think is best for the franchise.

D'Antoni can't sign any player. It's the GM who give their draft pick to David Stern and who later sign the selected player to his contract. Or maybe you think D'Antoni does that to? A coach can not act on his own even if he wanted to. It's 100% impossible. Blame Knicks as a franchise for Gallinari. Not Mike D. Besides do you guys think Donnie Walsh is retarded and that he would let Mike D'Antoni decide who he wants if scouts and other people say NO?
Part of what you said is true, but lets not be ignorant, its obvious that D'antoni had his say in who we drafted, and hes the reason why we have Duhon. Donnie would have played starbury and we could have used that duhorn money elsewhere.

Lets not forget Larry Brown telling Isiah thomas to trade penny and ariza for steve francis...Walsh needs to be his own man, stand his own ground. Much respect to him for the teams he put together in Indiana (that were later destroyed by Larry Bird)....Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, Jermaine Oneal, reggie miller...he had a good team, that played defense.

So you are saying that Dantoni is only as good a coach as Isiah Thomas?

Look the problem has been with Knick fans the past 5 years is that we think that we should be a better team than what our record shows. Simply our expectations are never realistic! We have not been a team worthy of the playoffs since the last year we made it w/ Spree and Hou.

We are on pace to hit our projected win total, and that was considering Steph,Jamal, and Zach were still with the squad and playing big minutes.

James Dolan epitomizes the unrealistic expectations of Knick fans. Remember when he gave Isiah a one year mandate to make the team significantly better. In terms of record he did and he got an undeserved extension, now had Dolan known what most basketball fans knew, which is that you can't really judge a coach until the end of his second year with a squad, then Isiah would not still be employed by The Knicks.

My point is that we need to stop being so short sighted in being negative or hopeful with coaches their first season. Dantoni may very well not prove to be a good coach in NY, but, it is too early to judge him this season.

Consider that Byron Scott only 18 games his first season with NO, if he coached in NY, then fans would've been calling for the head of one of the best coaches in The League.

Name me one another coach who wins that many more games with this team?

Let's just be realistic about what Dantoni is working with, and remember that it has only been one season before calling him lousy.

Thanks.

Who called him lousy? I said he was overrated, im sick of hearing how hes done a nice job of turning us around and getting us in the right direction. Its pathetic how knicks fans slobber all over him. Hes got a wife doggie, let her do that...not you personally, but knicks fans that show him too much love.

He didnt do anything thats impressed me...yea, we score alotta points but we give up more points then we score...hence the reason why we're a losing team. This team was capable of winning 35 games, but there was too many games that we didnt show up, played with no heart, and played like this was the WNBA. Whos fault is that? Its everybodys fault, players and coaches. I dont always like D'antoni's substitution patterns, and he made his man love for the big cock obvious when he tried inserting him into the starting lineup for a couple games.

I have nothing against Gallinari, I like him...but he wasnt ready to start. It just proves what i have been saying...I've been saying it for a while, D'antoni is too emotional. He doesnt always think rationally...we saw this with marbury, with the big cock, and countless times when he was in phoenix. Hes stressed out, nervous, anxious, which always makes it easy to tell when hes lying. When we finally are a playoff team again, Ill give more credit to the fact that we were bad for so long then i will to D'antoni.

And thats what i dont like...we've been bad for way too long. I thought only the Clippers could do that...Isiah set us back, i realize that Walsh and D'antoni came into a mess but with the exception of some of the money saving trades that were made, i dont like some of the other things dantoni has done. 33 wins 2 years ago, we wont even do that this year.

I agree with MSGKnickz33. Mike D'Antoni failed to improve the team. He drafted his pet player, Danilo Gallinari over Brook Lopez, DJ Augustin, Eric Gordon, and Anthony Randolph. He also got rid of Marbury for nothing, and he got rid of Zach Randolph for ultimately Larry Hughes. D'Antoni's team has under Isiah Thomas' 33 win total. The fact that D'Antoni couldn't even match Isiah Thomas' win total shows that he failed big time, this season. The Knicks should have hired Patrick Ewing. Ewing would have done a much better job with the team, as evidence by the job he did on the Rockets and is currently doing with the Magic.

I forgot to mention that, he couldnt get us a draft pick for zach randolph? smh @ dantony, if i was him i would just give up after not being able to match isiahs win total from 2 years ago...thats about as low as it gets.

JayJ44

Starter
We were lucky we didn't have to give up a draft pick to get rid of Z-Bo. He's making the same amount of money as Lebron James. Not many teams want a contract like that, with a player like him. Also, D'antoni has nothing to do with trades, Walsh handles that entirely.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
We were lucky we didn't have to give up a draft pick to get rid of Z-Bo. He's making the same amount of money as Lebron James. Not many teams want a contract like that, with a player like him. Also, D'antoni has nothing to do with trades, Walsh handles that entirely.

Lebron is worth more then hes making...we got tim thomas and mobley for zach randolph...mobleys not even playing, tim thomas is a bum. Zach randolph is a guaranteed 20 and 10 guy, and yes hes selfish at times, and his defense is bad, but he can score. I liked the way he was playing for us before we traded him. And you cant say hes a complete loser, hes made the playoffs unlike jamal crawford.

Walsh is supposed to handle that entirely, but D'antoni can and will give his input as he did with the signing of chris duhon, and drafting Gallinari.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Lebron is worth more then hes making...we got tim thomas and mobley for zach randolph...mobleys not even playing, tim thomas is a bum. Zach randolph is a guaranteed 20 and 10 guy, and yes hes selfish at times, and his defense is bad, but he can score. I liked the way he was playing for us before we traded him. And you cant say hes a complete loser, hes made the playoffs unlike jamal crawford.

Walsh is supposed to handle that entirely, but D'antoni can and will give his input as he did with the signing of chris duhon, and drafting Gallinari.

i too thought we cud have gotten more for randolph. at the time the bulls were desperate for a post game, maybe we cuda nabbed hughes and tyrus thomas? or something like tht, it wuda given us a 2010 expiring contract, and a young player.

JayJ44

Starter

Randolph is talented, but his huge contract diminishes his trade value. Originally, the best offer we got for him was Darko Millicic and a 2nd round pick for Z-Bo and our 1st rounder. The Clippers deal was the best possible deal we could have gotten.

I liked how he was playing too. But it would be impossible to ever get under the cap with him on our roster.

You're right that D'antoni gives his input, but I don't think he had any input on the Randolph trade. That trade was purely for salary cap purposes, it had nothing to do with D'antoni.

BTW, he made the playoffs his first 2 seasons with the Blazers, in which he averaged 6 minutes and 17 minutes a game for the season. In the playoffs, he averages 12 PPG and 7 RPG in 25 minutes per game. Not really a big accomplishment.

JayJ44

Starter
i too thought we cud have gotten more for randolph. at the time the bulls were desperate for a post game, maybe we cuda nabbed hughes and tyrus thomas? or something like tht, it wuda given us a 2010 expiring contract, and a young player.

The Bulls would have never done that, unfortunately. They're also looking to sign someone in 2010. No way they take Randolph off our hands and ruin any chance of getting cap space.

KBlack25

Starter
I found this thread interesting, as everyone is bashing the Randolph trade, especially MSGKnickz33, so I went back to the Randolph thread and found this post from MSGKnickz33 himself:

Donnie Walsh >> Isiah

like we didnt already know that, The lowest piece of scum dirtbag on this earth is >> isiah. Crawford >> isiah

I like what donnies doing...finally someone whos plannin for the future, not right now. At the same time i think these trades will make us a better team right now. We got rid of 2 guys that cant defend. I like Zach randolph and i will root for him with the clippers, but these trades werent just good, like frosted flakes [they're great]

And this from KO's resident asshole metrocard:

Mobley can play defense unlike Jamal, and is a better shooter, more skilled/experienced/team oriented.

Mobley > Crawford

TT/Harrington = Randolph.

Randolph is a ball dominate and stat padder who shoots a low FG @ 43%.

TT/Harrington actually have experience in the HIGH TEMPO offense and have proven to be very productive in it. Its a move that fits the system, which makes it a more productive system because you have players who fit now, unlike Crawford and Randolph.

Props to the DON.

At the time everyone was praising the trade, now in hindsight it's bad? The only person who has stayed consistent, ironically, is Team Starbury hanger-on abcd, who bashed the trade when it happened, and bashed it now.

Look, this season was never about making the playoffs, it was never about winning a title. Two years ago, that was the goal. Last year, that was the goal. This year Donnie takes over, and is a GM that actually knows what he is doing. D'Antoni takes over and installs an up-tempo offense. The goal this year was to REBUILD and RETOOL so eventually we can RELOAD. To come here and expect D'Antoni to take this abysmal franchise, who then trades away mid-season their top-2 leading scorers so that they have more CAP FLEXIBILITY (a good thing), and then also want a playoff bound team is asking a bit much. I'm not saying D'Antoni has done the best job, but it was never about the 2008-09 New York Knicks, it was about building for free agency, about digging ourselves out of salary cap hell. But the team has to be bad before they can be better, that's what rebuilding is.

Even if we don't get LeBron, even if we don't get Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Nowitzki or ANYBODY, at the very least they have been dug out of salary cap hell. At the very least we'll be able to move some pieces a little more freely, be able to sign that one guy to that big contract, and at the very least at LEAST this team is playing a brand of basketball that is fun to watch. I hated the Isiah-brand, and when you don't win the Brown-brand is awful to watch. D'Antoni has put together a game that is good to watch, that is at the very least entertaining, even though they are losing.

But to say D'Antoni didn't do his job, that's just silly, come on now. You are too deep in the forest to see the trees. An NYK Championship in 2009 is not the goal, the goal is to be better down the line, to be better in the long term and for a longer period of time, not to make ridiculous trades for over-rated superstars to try in vain to win now.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The bottom line is the Knicks should not have hired Mike D'Antoni. The Knicks' #1 weakness is defense. Patrick Ewing emphasizes defense, and he's great at developing centers. Look at how much better Yao Ming and Dwight Howard currently are. The Knicks made a mistake for not hiring Ewing and not drafting Brook Lopez. They also made a mistake for paying Marbury to do nothing and trading Zach Randolph for nothing. All of you guys keep talking about Zach Randolph's "huge" contract, but what about Larry Hughes' contract? Hughes makes almost as much money as Randolph, and he sucks.
All you guys talk about Marbury being a cancer. Well, Marbury's not here anymore. Why are the Knicks not winning? And if Marbury is such a cancer, why are the Celtics playing as good as they have all season?

On October 31st, the start of the 2009-2010 season, what are the Knicks going to have to attract a star?

Chris Duhon? Larry Hughes? Jared Jeffries? One dimensional Gallinari?

SMH

Last edited: