Lin never practiced with Amare and Chandler

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Wait - you guys DO realize that there have been very few practices at all right? Lin cam on during the shortened season. Scott Brooks of the Thunder projected his team to have 12-15 practices ALL YEAR. It's not surprising at all that Lin never got first team burn in practice, he might have only been there for 2 or 3 of them.

True, but also a bit of a technicality.

Most teams are going over some of the philosophical and strategic nuances, that are usually reserved for practice, in shoot-arounds. Obviously they'll be less intense with virtually no contact, but it's still a half decent place for players to get accustomed to each other.

When you see Lin say "I barely practiced with STAT and Chandler" it's reasonable to assume that he's talking about whatever activity the team has where starting lineups and rotations are taken into account.

I wouldn't expect Lin to say "I barely got out there and ran threw some things with Amar'e and Chandler in shoot around" he'd just substitute all of that for "practice."

And if the Knicks are utilizing shoot arounds as quasi-practices, there's no way Lin is out there over TD or Shump.

Little bit of the product of a lockout, but at this point...you gotta give the only available pure point guard on the roster a little burn with the top guns to see if he can at least control the tempo of the game.

Those minutes he'S played in garbage time are enough for me to form an oppinion and my oppinion is: He's garbage as an NBA player.

I actually saw him play in person last season at the Staples for the Warriors against the Lakers (California trip) and he showed great commitment and hustle, but I was shocked a guy with a (non existing) skill set like his could make the NBA.

He can't shoot, he can't drive, his handling is below par for a point guard, his orientation on the court is awkward at times and he's turnover prone.

Yes, he does look to pass and set up his teammates, but does that one quality really make him an 'asset' all of a sudden?

Honestly, we'd be better off with a proven NBA PG like Mike James or Anthony Carter at this point.

Both were available on minimum contracts.

It's not my job and/or mission to bash all of our players, but I call it how I see it and I've seen Lin play for Golden State and I've seen him play for us a couple of times this season on TV and imo he isn't good enough to play in this league, a roster filler at max.

Balkman on the other hand should really be seeing some playing time for christ's sake, especially with Melo out he should have been a 20-24 mpg guy.

LOL. You had me going for a minute. I was actually saying to myself OK maybe he's being fair in his assessment. Then you mentioned Balkman and 20 mins a game. LOL. Balkman is OK for def & a few boards, but right now we need someone else that can score. I'd rather see Novak getting those minutes.

I'll pass judgement on Lin when I see him some more...

skisloper

Starter
Your missing the point in your LIN bashing....

We all know there is a good chance this guy MIGHT suck..... there is no question.

what we do know is that the KNICKS have sucked.

We know we have NO PG.....Douglas and Iman are not PG's.
Let them lay their positions of SG so they can excel.

AND YES 100%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,things have gotten so bad that we are saying LIN should see minutes....if he sucks its over BUT if there is at all a glimmer then who knows...Maybe we have someone who can pass first before shooting....

For those who dont want LIN what do u think will happen...TD or IMAN will have a revelation and realize they are PG's ?

nyk_nyk

All Star
Yes, he does look to pass and set up his teammates, but does that one quality really make him an 'asset' all of a sudden?

Uummm, I could have swore this is what we were looking for in a PG right now. Isn't this what you said Amare needed in order to get him going? You're confusing me right now dude.

We bash TD because he doesn't do what (as per your comment) Lin can do. However, we have a player that does it but then you say he's just not good. I don't care if Lin is out of the league after the season but for right now he does the things this team needs at that position.

Also, it doesn't matter what he didn't do on other teams. Just take Shawne Williams as an example.

Paul1355

All Star
Wow, my rebuttal

People chill out! Lin is trash, he didn't make it on the Warriors and Rpckets, both lottery teams.

You guys are so obsessed with D'Antoni...this forum has become a place for whining about D'Antoni and how he's slowly killing polar bears, because he's melting the poles.

Honestly, get a grip, we got your point.

Lin wouldn't play a single minute besides garbage time for Phil Jackson either and why should he practice with the first string? He's a 4th string PG, I'd rather have Shumpert or Bibby practicing with the first string, because they're playing most minutes.

You guys crying for Lin to play or even start is embarrasing, he's complete trash and a D-League player.

Look bro, your missing the point.

Toney Douglas averages 23 minutes per game and averages just over 2 assists. Iman Shumpert averages 30 mpg with 3 assists, Mike Bibby averages 14 mpg and only 1.7 assists per game.

Jeremy Lin averages almost 2 assists for 6 mpg.....lets do the math

He plays about 18 minutes tonight and you can guarantee atleast 6 assists, just like the performance he did against Houston when he had 6 assists in only one half.

Guess who averages the most assists on this team? Melo with a little over 4 a game. That is dreadful.

I don't care if you think Jeremy Lin is garbage and a D league player, when he got his shot to play, he played better than Shumpert, Bibby and Douglas at the PG position because he takes his time and can distribute better than all of them. This is what we call a pure PG. He is not Baron Davis 2.0 he is just your basic PG.

We don't have any legit PG except Lin, sadly. So for now let's see what he can do.

You know it can't hurt to have SOME PG that can distribute to guys like Amare and Chandler when all we have been seeing is Douglas and Shumpert turnover everything and Bibby just jack up misses.

By the way, Lin is shooting 43%, better than all of our Point guards.

So next time you think someone is a D league player, that got a triple double in his one d league game, make sure you look at the state of the team first.

Peace.

clumsy

Rotation player
To me Lin only has 1 move.. he can do that hesitation dribble kinda smooth to get past his man on the perimeter, followed by a kick out, or pnr. I don't think he's that good but can at least get the team involved in the offense which is more than i can say for Toney who gets stuck on the perimeter a lot for some reason.

Look at Toney Douglas's stat line this year. Completely Dreadful
23.7 mins, 9 points, 32.3 FG%....25.8 3PT%, 2.7 Assist, 2 TO's

Are these even NBA worthy Numbers?!??!? If he's hurt or lost confidence at least sit him for awhile to get his mind right. Lin should be getting 20 minutes a night.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
People chill out! Lin is trash, he didn't make it on the Warriors and Rpckets, both lottery teams.

You guys are so obsessed with D'Antoni...this forum has become a place for whining about D'Antoni and how he's slowly killing polar bears, because he's melting the poles.

Honestly, get a grip, we got your point.

Lin wouldn't play a single minute besides garbage time for Phil Jackson either and why should he practice with the first string? He's a 4th string PG, I'd rather have Shumpert or Bibby practicing with the first string, because they're playing most minutes.

You guys crying for Lin to play or even start is embarrasing, he's complete trash and a D-League player.

He never got the chance in GS and Houston
And One of those team has a better record than us atm and who blown us out the other night.

Unless you know Phil Jackson personally, than you can't said that with 100% certainty.

People keep saying he suck, but the number he produce don't lied and you don't know until the coach try.

Bibby? you serious lol

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
As a coach, isn't it your job to have every possible match up to see what works?

After Jeremy Lin's 9 points, 3 rebounds, and 6 assists in one half performance against Houston, he said in the post game show that he never played with Amare and Chandler in practice...ever.

How is it possible that Jeremy Lin, even being the 3rd or 4th string PG, never practiced with Amare and Chandler? EVER!?!?!

How is this possible?

Let me preface this with I have been against Dantoni as a coach since before we signed him.

The answer to your question is Very Simple. How many practices do you think the Knicks have actually had since Lin has been signed?

How many Point guards are in front of Lin on the Roster?

Have our point guards been playing well with the starters? Although its important to try out different combination, mike was probably still working in new guys like Shumpert and Bibby with the limited time they have with practice.

You also have to remember that with this crazy schedule I am sure they are practicing very light for the most part.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
He never got the chance in GS and Houston
And One of those team has a better record than us atm and who blown us out the other night.

Unless you know Phil Jackson personally, than you can't said that with 100% certainty.

People keep saying he suck, but the number he produce don't lied and you don't know until the coach try.

Bibby? you serious lol

this is difficult to read.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
To me Lin only has 1 move.. he can do that hesitation dribble kinda smooth to get past his man on the perimeter, followed by a kick out, or pnr. I don't think he's that good but can at least get the team involved in the offence

Not sure if Lin should be getting 20 a night (10-15... the Knicks have a damn good bench that never gets used), but I do like those options; they are simple, but effective.

finestrg

Rotation player
Your missing the point in your LIN bashing....

We all know there is a good chance this guy MIGHT suck..... there is no question.

what we do know is that the KNICKS have sucked.

We know we have NO PG.....Douglas and Iman are not PG's.
Let them lay their positions of SG so they can excel.

AND YES 100%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,things have gotten so bad that we are saying LIN should see minutes....if he sucks its over BUT if there is at all a glimmer then who knows...Maybe we have someone who can pass first before shooting....

For those who dont want LIN what do u think will happen...TD or IMAN will have a revelation and realize they are PG's ?

GREAT post Skis...No need for me to even read any further -- this capsulizes the entire issue.

I don't wanna hear ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In our sorry state of affairs, YOU FRIGGIN' TRY LIN and see what he can do...Glad he's getting at least a little burn now here & there but it should've happened over a month ago. And this nonsense that he never practiced with Amar'e & Tyson is unbelieveable...Totally unacceptable. If that's really the case then this idiot isn't running his practices the right way..

Everything Skis says here is true: we have no PG; TD & Iman (esp. TD by a mile) aren't true PGs and the team IS suffering and WILL CONTINUE to suffer because of it. Those are the facts and they're clear as day, maybe to all except D'Antoni...True Lin might suck too. I'll concede that..But I wanna see for myself -- I don't trust MDA's evaluation of Lin to be honest, not when he goes right down to the DL and puts up a monster triple-double game the very first (and only) game for Erie.... I gotta see it for myself now -- I really have no more faith in Mike to make the best judgement calls for this club.

Just like when we traded away Anthony Randolph to Minny as part of the Melo deal --- almost right away, Randolph started putting up big numbers for the Wolves....Maybe I'm in the minority, but last yr, I wanted Anthony Randolph to play. I don't care if he sulked once in awhile, don't care if he had a bad practice here and there, don't care that he made mistakes in a game the few times this idiot D'Antoni actually decided to throw him crumbs from his table (PT). I don't wanna hear any of this nonsense -- you make it work...You give him a long enough leash in order to make it work and if that means giving him a little breathing room to make mistakes and grow and get better, THEN YOU ****ING DO IT JERKOFF!!! First and foremost -- YOU INSTILL CONFIDENCE...You play Randolph because he obviously had MAJOR talent and incredible upside (still does imo)...You play the guy because, with his talent & skillset, I still believe that with only a little bit of coaching, he could've been someone really special, could've been someone we could've built a real good team with and someone who could've taken major pressure off STAT... You play the man because he was the centerpiece in the deal for the Knicks, a deal where we traded away David Lee, a very good, productive player. If anything, you play him to get his value up to par so he's not some BS throw-in in any future blockbuster deal, like he was in the Melo trade, but a major trading chip where we then wouldn't necessarily have had to give up as much as we did to get what we wanted....Most importantly, you play Randolph until he proves w/o a shadow of doubt that he's not any good. Period. D'Antoni never gave AR a fair shake and never went out of his way to make sure he did everything humanly possible for that kid to succeed here...Quite the contrary in fact; he destroyed the kid's confidence almost right from the get-go by putting him in his doghouse and that's always gonna stick in my craw. Mike D'Antoni did a HORRIFIC job managing, developing and coaching Anthony Randolph. Sorry, don't wanna hear anything else about it.

A little different with Lin (he wasn't some piece we traded for, only a low-risk minimum wage dude mgmt brought in as insurance when Iman was set to miss a couple of games early on), but it's almost the same thing...PLAY THE GUY YOU DOPE! We're drowning here with no PG!!!! Give the guy a larger sample. WTF is he waiting for?? WTF has he got to lose at this point??? Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the team starts playing better or, God forbid, the team flourishes..Or, on the other hand, maybe we continue to struggle and he doesn't have the impact that we're looking for...No sweat -- then you cut his ass loose and bring in the next best option out there to occupy his low-salary roster spot, if that's all we have to work with and that's the best possibility available...If that guy happens to be Ish Smith, a player quite a few guys have been calling for, great. Give him a shot then (how'd Walker Russell look last night btw? Looked like one of the best guys Frank put on the floor last night to me and 95% of the fans out there never even heard of the guy)...Or bring in one of the low-risk/high-reward PG I've been talking about recently----there are several real intriging possibilities still out there waiting for a phone call, guys that would work well in this system... Either way you try something else and keep trying until you come up with something decent and until Davis is ready to go... That's it. But, no, D'Antoni refuses to budge on certain issues. He's so Goddamn subborn and doesn't show the type of adaptability you'd like to see...Bottom line for me, if something's broke, you don't sit around on your hands wishin' & hopin' that it fixes itself and all the while continue to lose games...You keep trying to do something, even if all that's available to you is trying a relative unknown/unproven like Jeremy Lin or someone similar. You never give up the fight. I don't trust Mike's evaluation abilities anymore to be honest. I think he ****ed up with AR and he's ****ing up now with this PG situation.

Last edited:

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
are the haters implying the warriors and rockets would have been better with toney douglas running point (chucking)? did mda make a bunch of fake accounts? 1) he penetrates 2) he doesnt look to shoot jump shots 3) he doesnt sit on the arc burning 15 seconds off the shot clock 4) the guy plays with as high a motor on offense as shump on defense...which is saying a lot. HOW THE HELL IS CHUCKING BETTER THAN THIS?