Do you think Phil would try to go after Rubio? Do you think Phil might coach?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He's great at assists, and plays defense (I don't know about now, but his first season he was great at defense, and he's one of the top guys in steals this season).

PG-Rubio,Prigioni,Murry
SG-Smith,Shump,Hardaway, Jr.

There would still need to be some improvements with that guard line-up (different guards or improvement with those players), but that would be a big step in the right direction imo.

Do you think Phil will would want to be head of the front office and ALSO coach at some point?

CoolClyde

You might as well throw out every PG name in the book as a possibility, just don't start a thread for each one.

i don't think Phil will coach because he intends on being a bi-coastal prez, although living in NY, he will travel back and forth to his home and family in LA. as such, he cannot tend to coaching duties, and will instead instill his triangular offensive ideas into whatever coach he brings to the Knicks.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
You might as well throw out every PG name in the book as a possibility, just don't start a thread for each one.

i don't think Phil will coach because he intends on being a bi-coastal prez, although living in NY, he will travel back and forth to his home and family in LA. as such, he cannot tend to coaching duties, and will instead instill his triangular offensive ideas into whatever coach he brings to the Knicks.
Ok, I just want him to go after Rubio Lol.

Which coaches do you think would deliver on some of Phil's style of coaching?

tiger0330

Legend
Not unprecedented that a front office guy steps down and becomes the coach ie Isiah, McHale and even Popovich who promoted Buford to be his GM so he could dedicate himself to coaching, Phil is a proven coach so maybe.

Rubio I don't think so, unless he learns to shoot.

Broadway

All Star

Not enamored at throwing assets(coin) to a player who hasn't improved much if at all since coming into the league. He's also accustomed to losing quite a bit..

We'll have to hope to get guys like D.J. Augustin/James Johnson/Wesley Johnson/Terrence Williams/C.J. Miles/Amir Johnson/Patrick Patterson/Isiah Thomas/Jordan Hamilton/Earl Clark(why he didn't get signed for remainder of season is mind boggling) etc etc on some cheap 1yr deals and hope one or more pan out to reach their potential and/or duplicate an upward trend.

Something Grunwald should have done a much better job of this past summer.

Kiyaman

Legend

:agreed:
Phil is not going to coach the Knicks.
Phil is not going to let Carmelo Anthony keep coaching the Knicks, under his watch.
Phil knows there's only a couple of veteran-respected PG in the NBA, that would put up with Carmelo Anthony antics.
Phil Jax first move on the Knicks will be getting rid of Carmelo Anthony in the offseason.
Recall .. Dolan did not look happy at the hiring of Phil Jax.
I do not expect any of the Knicks BIG-3 to be on the 2014-15 roster.

Kiyaman

Legend

HC Byron Scott has the offense/defense potential Phil Jax is looking for.
Rubio & Shump as a tandem guard unit sounds like a winner (without Melo/JR on the roster).

Im looking for Phil Jax to bring "Byron Scott & Derik Fisher" to New York in the offseason.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Name any of the point guards the Zenmaster had at either the Bulls or Lakers???? Exactly outside of Fish Phil's triangle doesn't emphasize the PG. The triangle will run thru the bigs and Melo will end up with the ball taking shots like MJ and Kobe(sorry Kiya:(). Remember the presser" another level for Melo." Straight out if the Zenmasters mouth so argue with that haters. We need a pg more on the defensive end so don't expect a big splash...in a Phil type offense Shump/JR could get us into the offense and a third guy for end of quarter/game situations. Never been a Rubio fan as longtime posters know. Too fragile and a HUGE liability on defense.....

Kiyaman

Legend
Name any of the point guards the Zenmaster had at either the Bulls or Lakers???? Exactly outside of Fish Phil's triangle doesn't emphasize the PG. The triangle will run thru the bigs and Melo will end up with the ball taking shots like MJ and Kobe(sorry Kiya:(). Remember the presser" another level for Melo." Straight out if the Zenmasters mouth so argue with that haters. We need a pg more on the defensive end so don't expect a big splash...in a Phil type offense Shump/JR could get us into the offense and a third guy for end of quarter/game situations. Never been a Rubio fan as longtime posters know. Too fragile and a HUGE liability on defense.....

Phils Jax last 3 championships with MJ in Chicago, Phil use 3 point-fowards at PG as his starter/closer
6.6 Harper
6.6 MJ
6.7 Pippin

To teach the Triangle to Kobe & Shaq on the Lakers, Phil signed a retired 6.6 Harper to be the starter/closer PG
It was Harper who tutored Derek Fisher for two seasons on the Triangle.
It was Derek Fisher returning to the Lakers who got Kobe his last two championship rings.
It's Derek Fisher experience/coaching/and discipline who kept OKC having a win-win record without PG Westbrook for 30 games this season. Its Derek Fisher tutoring that change Reggie Jackson tier-3 PG performance into a tier-1 performance PG.
If u dont recall, Deron Williams was a BUM his rookie season in the NBA. Deron Williams 2nd season in the NBA had Derek Fisher in training-camp with him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh yeah, Phil Jax first 3 championship with MJ in Chicago, his closer PG were MJ, Pippin, and Paxion leading the point.
PG Armstrong was just a 18 minute starter.
The season before Phil Jax got his first championship as a HC, MJ played that entire season as the Bulls PG, trying to be like Magic Johnson. The first season of the "Triangle" offense it was hard not to notice it was a trio of PG leading the point.

CoolClyde

it's hard to say who Phil may bring in next year; i have a feeling he will decimate the roster along with the coaching staff, so any talk of lineups next year is a waste of time. i don't think he would ever step down to be coach, because that would be an admission of failure of hiring the wrong person. the only reason Isiah stepped down to coach was because Dolan MADE him the prez/coach to take over the sh*t losing team he installed. Dolan will have no say over Phil's job, because Phil will be running the Knicks organization better than Dolan can. It is up to Phil to hire the coach to be a reflection of his basketball ideas that won him 9 rings as a coach, as well as a reflection of Red Holzman's coaching that won him 2 rings as a player.

agreed, the triangle O does not depend on a PG, however, it will be a position that facilitates the offense, does not allow matador D, or crappy picknroll ala Failton, and will be capable of dropping 3's in times of need.

I would not be surprised to see Phil bring in Derek Fish or Steve Kerr in respective player/coach capacity to help implement the winning schematic for a team he intends on building. for the first time in over a decade, i have faith in Phil, who IS the front office, to do the right thing.

I totally agree with the notion that PJ will turn over as much of this roster as possible, a la Pat Riley when he came to the Knicks, especially at the PG position. I think Rubio could be an option, but like others have said, I think PJ goes with as much familiarity as possible. You don't spend decades building the framework in the league that he did to then take on 'mission impossible' with the Knicks and trust it to people with whom he hasn't worked directly before.

Man, the idea that PJ may not even offer Melo a max deal is still to me one of the most anticipated moments in franchise history, forget the not contract matching Lin business. I want Melo back, but it has officially become, in Phil we trust, now.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
i see kiya is still saying boneheaded stuff. 1. 3 people on the same court can not all be pgs 2. derek fisher could have never existed and kobe would still have his rings. 3. d will would still be d will without fish 4. reggie jackson would still be good without fish. why are u still around????

jimkcchief88

All Star
Kiya is Kiya so he made my point when he said "point forwards." Melo/Shump/Jr will be the Knicks "point forwards" in the triangle.

Kiyaman

Legend
i see kiya is still saying boneheaded stuff. 1. 3 people on the same court can not all be pgs 2. derek fisher could have never existed and kobe would still have his rings. 3. d will would still be d will without fish 4. reggie jackson would still be good without fish. why are u still around????

Watup .. I miss u, and it have nothing to do with u not knowing anything about the Knick-since 1993. LMAO
u recall when GS Warriors knocked-off the top winning NBA team (Dallas Mavs) in the first-round?
The 8th seed GS Warriors had Derick Fisher on the team that season.
Kobe and the Glove Gary Payton had problems in the playoffs with the TimberWolves KG, Sprewel, and Cassel.

Its bad that u are clueless about the number #1 top tandem players "Jordan & Pippin" in NBA history...

Lebron & Wade r next

petescud

Starter
Would love to see a back court of Reggie Jackson and THJr...and fowards..Love and Melo/???...Center..Tyson/???

Broadway

All Star
Phil Jackson is thinking outside the box with his first move. He's always 1 step ahead of the game, schooling all of us and putting everyone on notice.

Therefore signing a soon to be 35yr old former crackhead is the most logical first decision to make

petescud

Starter
Yeah, that scared me too about Odom....Hoping it was just a meeting of friends giving Odom hope. On a side note, i don't see how 2014/15 season will be much different then this year. We have too many unmoveable contracts. I think even moving Chandler we may have to pay some of his salary to move him @ 14 Mil a year. Hoping for the best for next season

tiger0330

Legend
Phil Jackson is thinking outside the box with his first move. He's always 1 step ahead of the game, schooling all of us and putting everyone on notice.

Therefore signing a soon to be 35yr old former crackhead is the most logical first decision to make
lol I read they want to sign him for the few remaining games left this season so he might be used as a trade chip in the off-season. That might make sense if he could still play but he's done imo. Nobody wants Odom, I don't think PJ wants to make that his first player move as the new president of the Knicks.