What is wrong with Frye?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
What is going on with Channing Frye?

Instead of emerging during this period where so many Knicks are injured, Frye has all but disapperared. He seems hesitant, confused. All he does is hang around the perimeter and shoot jumpers.

Last year and even earlier this season, he got rebounds on both ends of the floor, ran the break, and posted up effectively.

Now he seems to have no inside game, while players like Lee and Balkman have thrived with inside games.

The excuse that he cannot co-exist inside with Curry seems absurd. For one thing, in many games, Curry spends significant time on the bench. In addition, Curry does not seem to have negatively afffected Lee and Balkman's inside games.

In addition, the Knicks desperately need a shot blocker help-defender. Frye has the body to be this. Supposedly, he bulked up last offseason, and yet paradoxically he seems more passive, more finesse, more one-dimensional, less energetic and less physical than last year.

So what is going on?

Maybe he needs to get laid or something. I suggest hiring Natalie Dormier as a summer coach. :)

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
he is so 1 dimensional, his confidance his super low right, if his jumpshot is off then he can't help the knicks in any other way, knicks better trade em while he still has value

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
he is so 1 dimensional, his confidance his super low right, if his jumpshot is off then he can't help the knicks in any other way, knicks better trade em while he still has value

Yeah def...I like him as a person, great PR guy, but he just is not succeeding in our system...He is too slow to be a SF (I orginally thought that Lee should start at 4 and Frye at 3) and too soft for a PF...No NBA player can solely live off of jumpers, even H20 at least took someone off the dribble to drill his signature elbow/top of the key jumper...All Frye does is pivot a couple of times, jab step, then hoist up a jumper...This is just as bad as Franchise dribbling around in circles, it does not help the fluidity of the offense, it just stalls it while the other four watch...If he does return next year (unfortunately I think we need to trade him before his value goes down), he def needs diversify his game on all levels to contribute in a positive way.

metrocard

Legend
Eddy Curry is the focus of the offense now, therefor Frye isn't used as often offensively. Brown utilized Frye's offensive skill in the pick and roll, similar to how he did it with Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio Mcydess. Frye can shoot, he runs the floor defensively, has a little baby hook shot he should use more. But I am still correct since the day we drafted Frye, he wasn't worth that pick. I would much rather have Granger, Green, or Bynum. Hell give me Francisco Garcia who's multi dementional and plays defense.

BallHead

Benchwarmer
Frye lacks confidence. He's not the center of the offense and he knows that he will be pulled on a moments notice and be replaced by Lee, JJ #1, JJ#2, Cato, Rose, Balkman, Q-Rich, etc. He has no defined role in the offense and is relegated to taking low percentage shots when available. He's not an athletic player, never was at Arizona, never was last year, and never will be. It's just not his game. Curry needs athletic bigs around him, which is why Lee, Balkman and Chandler all thrive(d) around him. Frye's shooting around 45% this season. The best shooters in the league will shoot 50%.

Another problem is that he doesn't have the freedom or experience to play in the post without fear of being benched. One or two mistakes and either I.T. or EC will let it be known. Consequently when his shot is off (and it will be at least every other game given the 50% rule) he has nothing to fall back on, except to try and play defense. Frye plays better defense than last year, his problems occur on offense.

Everyone knows (including Frye) that if a good deal comes along he is gone.

But I admire his attitude and work ethic. He only seeks to fill his role and play team ball. With the exception of injuries he will be a better basketball player for it in the long run.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I got to agree with metro. Well said man. Im looking for him to get traded in the offseason. Depending if the deal is good we might be making a draft day deal.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Fry is suffering from the sophomore blues. This happens with a lot of players. I also think he is suffering from two different coaches in 2 years! Brown used him much more efficiently than Isiah has and now that he has taken a back seat to Curry, it seems to have affected his game and his head! Sort of like being demoted in a way. I was down on the Fry pick and then I was turned around last year, so I am willing to stick it out with him unless we can use him to get a proven player. I posted this last year, that we use him while his value is high to get that proven guy. Isiah is going to target O'Neil in the off season and Frye is going to be in that offer. It might take both Fry and Curry to get him. How about this; Trade for Camby and O'neil! Denver wants to dump Camby's contract, so use Malik Rose's contract. Next year he can exercise out of his contract so Denver could buy him out to remove his final year and include a draft pick and one of the young guys. Send Curry and Frye to Indiana with another contract to make up the difference in salary to meet the requirement. Not alot of teams will want O'Neil's HUGE contract so the Knicks have an advantage. Camby and O'neil would compliment each other so well! I would sign Rubin Patterson for the mid to add his perimeter defense and I think this could be what puts the Knicks over the edge. They need to keep Lee and Balkman to keep the bench strong, but you might have to include one of them to make one of the aforementioned deals.

paris401

Starter
Fry is suffering from the sophomore blues. This happens with a lot of players. I also think he is suffering from two different coaches in 2 years! Brown used him much more efficiently than Isiah has and now that he has taken a back seat to Curry, it seems to have affected his game and his head! Sort of like being demoted in a way. I was down on the Fry pick and then I was turned around last year, so I am willing to stick it out with him unless we can use him to get a proven player. I posted this last year, that we use him while his value is high to get that proven guy. Isiah is going to target O'Neil in the off season and Frye is going to be in that offer. It might take both Fry and Curry to get him. How about this; Trade for Camby and O'neil! Denver wants to dump Camby's contract, so use Malik Rose's contract. Next year he can exercise out of his contract so Denver could buy him out to remove his final year and include a draft pick and one of the young guys. Send Curry and Frye to Indiana with another contract to make up the difference in salary to meet the requirement. Not alot of teams will want O'Neil's HUGE contract so the Knicks have an advantage. Camby and O'neil would compliment each other so well! I would sign Rubin Patterson for the mid to add his perimeter defense and I think this could be what puts the Knicks over the edge. They need to keep Lee and Balkman to keep the bench strong, but you might have to include one of them to make one of the aforementioned deals.

talk about blowing up the team... i like camby, and oneal... i dunno know if it would work, but sure would change the look of the knicks...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
talk about blowing up the team... i like camby, and oneal... i dunno know if it would work, but sure would change the look of the knicks...

If we could keep Lee and Balkman, and still pull off those trades.... The Knicks could Start Camby, O'Neil, Balkman, Patterson,and Marbury.... Bring Lee, Crawford and Jeffries off the Bench. You could slide O'neil over to the 5 spot when Lee comes into the game. That would keep a consistent defensive front line! Richardson off the Bench is great because he can rebound well (when he's healthy) and Crawford as a change of pace, specialty shooter. Not a bad team!