Trade Deadline News

Hey,

With all those draft picks, "who is going to make the decision to draft what players"? Will it be the current set of C. Robinson and Perry making this decision? Will it be a new set of no-nothing FO personel making the choices?

Anyway, ever wonder how we got into situation we are in right now? Will just look up at the post above this one. It that thinking that has ruin this team and many other in this league. A lot of people that don't know a damn thing about BB run this league and this team.

FWIW:

In Thursday?s deal with the Clippers, the Knicks didn?t want to take on rookies Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengel in exchange for Marcus Morris because they didn?t want to immediately waive players. That indicates the Knicks either wanted to keep the veterans for leadership or prefer to save money in a buyout scenario.

The key was netting the Clippers? 2020 first-rounder, which will be located in the high 20s. They also gained the Clippers? 2021 second-round pick (via the Pistons).

In what could be two moot points, the Knicks also get the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in 2021 and the rights to Issuf Sanon, Washington?s second-round stash pick in 2018 who plays in Ukraine and is not expected to ever play in the NBA.

Sanon was added because the Wizards needed a contribution to the Knicks.

The Knicks now have seven first-round picks across the next four years. That collection of assets puts them in position to make a future trade for a disgruntled superstar.

The Knicks also turned down one proposed offer that included 2019 first-round pick Mfiondu Kabengele and second-round pick Terance Mann because the Knicks didn?t want to have to cut players on their roster to make room. Kabengele, a 3-point shooting big man, has appeared in just 10 games.

Harkless was added to the deal to make the cap work. The former St. John?s star from Queens is expected to be in Detroit when the Knicks play Saturday. Sources indicated if Harkless, who is in his eighth season, wanted to go to a contender, the Knicks would accomodate him.

As far as the tumultuous season that has seen Mills and David Fizdale fired and the team?s best player traded for picks, Ntilikina said, ?It?s been a lot, a lot going on, a lot of adversity. But adversity helps you grow up and builds character.?

Not sure about cutting some current roster players for Kabengele? We don't have a young PF so there not a player to sacrifice for him? Seriously!! The one position we didn't address during the draft and we don't have a roster spot for him. BRILLANT!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Hey,

With all those draft picks, "who is going to make the decision to draft what players"? Will it be the current set of C. Robinson and Perry making this decision? Will it be a new set of no-nothing FO personel making the choices?

Anyway, ever wonder how we got into situation we are in right now? Will just look up at the post above this one. It that thinking that has ruin this team and many other in this league. A lot of people that don't know a damn thing about BB run this league and this team.

How many first round picks the Knicks had on the team in the past 3 to 4 seasons?
How many head coaches changes the Knicks had in the past 4 to 5 seasons?
How well did the Knicks development season look for their young-core players after the 17 win season?
The Knicks spent over $70M in the offseason on several FA to rebuild a team having veterans & young-core players for the 2019-20 season. The best 2-Way performing player on the Knicks roster the first half of the 2019-20 season were Marcus Morris Sr.
If Morris did not decline other winning teams offers in the 2019 offseason to sign with the Knicks, the Knicks would be another 17 win season team in the 2019-20 season. Marcus Morris type of performance and lockerroom discipline were the best investment the Knicks made for the growth of the Knicks getting a IDENTITY, and the growth of the Knicks young-core players, since the offseason the Knicks signed Jason Kidd and the Old-Timers.
The Knicks coaching-staff the past 5 season Graded a big F for FAILURE.
The Knicks development program for young-core players the past 5 season graded a big F for FAILURE too.
In the past 4 seasons the Knicks had a 32 win season, then a 31 win season, then a 29 win season, then a 17 win season, having several first round draft picks on their roster each season.

What good are any of the first round draft pick to a clueless losing organization that never invest on the growth of their young-core players ???
Players DeAndre Jordan and Marcus Morris short Knick visit deserve a 4 year $$$ extension contract.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
2020 Own First round pick
2020 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
2020 second round draft pick from Charlotte
2021 Own first round pick
2021 first round draft pick from Dallas
2021 second round draft pick from Charlotte
2021 second round draft pick from Detroit
2022 Own first round pick
2022 Own second round pick
2023 Own first round pick
2023 first round draft pick from Dallas
2023 Own second round pick

mafra

Legend
This just proves how idiotic Perry is. Methinks Kuzma has more trade appeal than the 27th pick this draft. At best, you might draft a player as good... best case scenario.

Kuzma was the best, shiny, most attractive asset offered. Naturally, we settle for a worse package.

I almost feel like not moving MM a wiser decision, if all you got back was what Perry accepted.

This franchise has become so averse to taking on any salary whatsoever. Definitely prioritizing picks over players. Very much a Sam Hinkie type approach.

Also, worth noting, I can easily see differing opinions on Kuzma. He really hasn?t thrived coming off the bench on what is now a good Lakers team and all he really does well is score.

What the Knicks asked for originally from Lakers might be something they wished they had done when they are playing the Clippers in the playoffs.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I'm not believing these latest media reports that the Knicks turned down a deal of Kuzma and Danny Green for Mook and wanted Bradley, Cuz and Kuz and a second rounder instead. Who knows what really happened but initially it was reported that the Lakers didn't go for a Green Kuz deal but the media is now saying Perry turned it down wanting Bradley in the deal. Perry is an idiot if he turned down any of those trades for what he got from the Clips.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have their own first-round pick which, odds are, will be in the top eight. They have the Clippers first-round pick, which likely will be in the No. 25-range. And they own Charlotte?s second-rounder from the Willy Hernangomez trade that will be in the 30s. That?s probably three picks in the top 35.

?They?re going to get three, good, athletic players in the draft,?? an NBA scout said.

I was watching the 30-for-30 on Duke (The Class that Saved Coach K). It?s about that special group of Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Williams, Bilas.

As Freshman, this group went 11-17. They were pretty bad. 1982-1983 season. Coach K?s third year at the school. They gradually improved every season, until finally they explode and go 27-3 (reaching NCAA Finals). They would lose to Louisville (never nervous Pervis), by 4 points, bc of a missed box out. They n the cusp of greatness, to enter the annals of history as one of the sports? best ensemble cast of champions. They fell just short.

Point of story: draft 3 athletic kids. A PG. then just roll out all our youth and let them fly. Sink or swim. And hope, by their 4th season, like that aforementioned Duke squad, a team is born and the sum is much greater than its parts. Build trust and develop chemistry.

Last edited:
Build trust and develop chemistry!!!

I have heard this somewhere before.... Just can't think of where. But FWIW I'm all for it.

May I add one thing... Let build from within should be our major foundation not FA. Smart trades like what should have happen with the MM trading to the Lakers and getting Cousins. BTW, who we should have sign instead of Randle.

Kiyaman

Legend
Build trust and develop chemistry!!!

I have heard this somewhere before.... Just can't think of where. But FWIW I'm all for it.

May I add one thing... Let build from within should be our major foundation not FA. Smart trades like what should have happen with the MM trading to the Lakers and getting Cousins. BTW, who we should have sign instead of Randle.

Well, the Atlanta Hawks game has proven without a doubt how STUPID the Knicks FO are for trading the only player (Marcus Morris) on a 15 man roster who have the experience, and talent as a winning CLOSER. As a president or GM u would want rookie RJ, and 2nd season Trier, Knox, MitchRob, and 3rd season Frank, DSJ, and Dotson around an experience Morris to learn all the fundamentals of closing a game for the win.
The Knicks became one lucky team in the off-season when Marcus Morris turned down several teams to sign on as a Knick.
All the 2019 offseason FA the Knicks signed were Tier-3 NBA players, except Tier-1 player Morris.

If the Knicks would've signed Cousin & Randle they would have had to sign an experience winning head-coach (Jason Kidd or Mark Jackson) of the Knicks a week before signing any FA.
The Knicks could get all the best talent available and still be LOSERS from not having a decent experience coaching-staff that comes with a strategic winning game-plan.

Wait a minute, the Lakers are waiving DeMarcus Cousins to sign Markieff Morris? Hmm, I wonder if they regret not doing that trade with us to get Marcus Morris?

If what you say is true then we need to sign Cousins, ASAP!!

...that wouldn?t be the craziest idea, he won?t return this season though, so it would have to be a move for the start of next season. Probably more an option to pursue in the offseason. We have a 15+ million dollar team option to decline on Bobby Portis that could make salary space for a guy with a lot more upside.

Kiyaman

Legend
...that wouldn’t be the craziest idea, he won’t return this season though, so it would have to be a move for the start of next season. Probably more an option to pursue in the offseason. We have a 15+ million dollar team option to decline on Bobby Portis that could make salary space for a guy with a lot more upside.

Perry should've investigated Clint Capela injury to see if he will be healthy by next season, then traded Mook to Houston.
This way u know Mook will be a FA in the offseason .. LA are gonna resign Mook !!!

...that wouldn’t be the craziest idea, he won’t return this season though, so it would have to be a move for the start of next season. Probably more an option to pursue in the offseason. We have a 15+ million dollar team option to decline on Bobby Portis that could make salary space for a guy with a lot more upside.

Either it "craziest idea" or "make salary space for a guy with a lot more upside", so which is it? Maybe as you start to think about it... it wasn't so crazy. A player like Cousins isn't going to fall into your lap like this very often. Yes, he is hurt and that is not going under notice. He could be a cornerstone player that could turn this team around. If you remember I said that Cousins is the "Only F.A. that we should have signed". Again a gamble but one that is to me a lot better than all of the other F.A.(except MM). Would we be any worst off if we had just sign Cousins?

The reason for signing Cousins right now is somebody might see what we see. Remember we aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Better early than late!!!

Either it "craziest idea" or "make salary space for a guy with a lot more upside", so which is it? Maybe as you start to think about it... it wasn't so crazy. A player like Cousins isn't going to fall into your lap like this very often. Yes, he is hurt and that is not going under notice. He could be a cornerstone player that could turn this team around. If you remember I said that Cousins is the "Only F.A. that we should have signed". Again a gamble but one that is to me a lot better than all of the other F.A.(except MM). Would we be any worst off if we had just sign Cousins?

The reason for signing Cousins right now is somebody might see what we see. Remember we aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Better early than late!!!

I said that it WOULDN?t be the craziest idea, as in it could be a good idea. I?m not sure how signing Cousins right now would work given salary cap considerations.

Signing him this offseason could work if he?s willing to sign a similar deal as Portis 15 to 16 million for one year with a team option for a 2nd year. I wouldn?t do much more than that given Cousins will be 30 at the start of next season and is coming off yet another major injury.

Also worth considering that Lakers may be waiving Cousins because they have medical info to suggest Cousins career is over.

tiger0330

Legend
I doubt the Lakers have info that Cousins sustained a career ending injury as the reason they waived him. He just wasn't helping them sitting on the bench in a suit so getting Morris was the right move for their playoff push.

Cuz will be in a similar situation again for the 3rd time next season, looking to go to a playoff team willing to take the risk on a one year MLE deal. I don't see him choosing the Knicks unless they offer him a substantial multi-year deal which isn't happening.

Watched the Cavs comeback against the Wiz and I don't think that small backcourt of Sexton Garland is going to work for the Cavs and was wondering if they would be interested in dealing Garland for one of Knox/Ntilikina/DSJ and perhaps a pick for Garland.

I said that it WOULDN’t be the craziest idea, as in it could be a good idea. I’m not sure how signing Cousins right now would work given salary cap considerations.

Signing him this offseason could work if he’s willing to sign a similar deal as Portis 15 to 16 million for one year with a team option for a 2nd year. I wouldn’t do much more than that given Cousins will be 30 at the start of next season and is coming off yet another major injury.

Also worth considering that Lakers may be waiving Cousins because they have medical info to suggest Cousins career is over.

Hey htr10,
You are correct!! I read it wrong as I do sometime. MY BAD!!

Agreed with the money that should be spend on signing Cousins. No long term unless it with an amount that we can live with and is tradeable .

If it was medical I think it would have showed up before now. What I don't understand is why sign him to begin with if you weren't prepared to stay with him.

I doubt the Lakers have info that Cousins sustained a career ending injury as the reason they waived him. He just wasn't helping them sitting on the bench in a suit so getting Morris was the right move for their playoff push.

Cuz will be in a similar situation again for the 3rd time next season, looking to go to a playoff team willing to take the risk on a one year MLE deal. I don't see him choosing the Knicks unless they offer him a substantial multi-year deal which isn't happening.

Watched the Cavs comeback against the Wiz and I don't think that small backcourt of Sexton Garland is going to work for the Cavs and was wondering if they would be interested in dealing Garland for one of Knox/Ntilikina/DSJ and perhaps a pick for Garland.

QUESTION: If small backcourt isn't going to work for the Cavs then why would we trade Knox/Ntilikina for Garland? Not sure if I would do it for DSJ but he needs a change to another team.

tiger0330

Legend
QUESTION: If small backcourt isn't going to work for the Cavs then why would we trade Knox/Ntilikina for Garland? Not sure if I would do it for DSJ but he needs a change to another team.
Reports are the Knicks are looking for a PG and a scoring guard this off-season as their highest priority need, Garland might be that guy for us. I just don't think having 6'1" PG's in your backcourt that essentially are twins is going to work for the Cavs.