Porzingis wants to be traded

mafra

Legend
Kellerman hates the trade. Stephen A. says it's exciting for the POTENTIAL to pick up KD Kawhi or Kyrie and mentions KP telling other players not to come because he wouldn't be here and the organization was a mess. General feeling I get is most feel giving up an perhaps a potential transcendent talent like KP for DSJ was terrible. Bottom line the Knicks have to turn that cap space into wins that gets them into the playoffs next year and not in the 3-5 years it would take doing it through the draft.

Yes, NY has to utilize the cap space... we dealt KP (who we could control for 1 more season) for DSJ, cap room, and 2 first rounders.

But KP is injured and a malcontent and was already out the door. No guy would come here by himself, especially with KP bad mouthing team.

I like the deal regardless... KP didn?t want to be here, can?t stay healthy and is a pain in the arse.

My beef is that I wanted KP to be great and why didn?t we ship him?

I have to believe they feel good about their odds to get KI and KD. We shall see what happens come July.

As Hahn said, ?we traded KP for air?

1 thing tho... we can?t sette and sign more Hardaway type deals for second tier players, just to bring in somebody.

A lot of the analysis is ignoring that KP requested a trade earlier today. He is of no use to us this season and he was gone after next season. As others have said, how was our front office supposed to accomplish anything until KP was moved? Only question is whether or not we could have gotten a better deal before the deadline. Pelicans reportedly did NOT want KP. Only way we could have done better is cleared all that cap space and instead gotten sooner 1st round picks in 2019 and 2021 (instead of 2021 and 2023) and/or gotten a better young player than DSJ.

Someone tell me what other team before this year?s deadline was going to take all that bad salary, send us 2 1st round picks, and give us a better young player than DSJ? Any team that has that package to offer is going after AD, who is a better player and not injured.

If KP plays out his contract in Dallas, doesn?t sign an extension, and walks to one of the more desirable teams in the NBA (like AD is going to do with the Lakers), Dallas is going to look awful having made this deal.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm pissed I have to get another avatar and sig. Thought for sure we had our Dirk in Porzingis but it wasn't to be. I will be pissed if he plays for 20 years and puts up the numbers Dirk did for Dallas. I think it's BS that he signs the QO with them so he can become an UFA in 2020. Cuban will sign him.

Broadway

All Star
We primarily created the cap space to provide resign possibility of our own free agents not so much for the pipe dream scenarios. There?s always a chance but whatever they are, it?s slim

mafra

Legend
I'm pissed I have to get another avatar and sig. Thought for sure we had our Dirk in Porzingis but it wasn't to be. I will be pissed if he plays for 20 years and puts up the numbers Dirk did for Dallas. I think it's BS that he signs the QO with them so he can become an UFA in 2020. Cuban will sign him.

I don?t think anybody else was going to give us what DAL did. Cuban has success with Dirk and already has Doncic.... KP?s pal... he?s going to ignore the injury and knows KP will sign. Maybe only the Spurs might?ve traded us their young PG and some picks...

But NY now has 74 mil! 2 max guys is better than just KP.

We just have to pray this move doesn?t mean NY wins some games and slides down to 5 or something.

Even without a max free agent... we still have flexibility. Maybe Mudiay, DSJ, Knits and Trier are our back court. Knox and Mitchell look like legit players. We have a bunch of picks now...

KP and Doncic won?t be enough in the West and now Dallas doesn?t have 1st round picks in 2019, 2021, or 2023. They just ate 2 bad contracts from us that affect their cap space for next 2 offseasons. If Dallas doesn?t look like a winner a year from now and KP gets courted by a franchise with a brighter shining star, KP and Janis are taking their show out of Dallas.

Also, KP might blow out his ACL again. This time for good.

Hopefully Dallas doesn?t somehow end up with a top 5 draft pick this year. If they do, the pick they traded to Atlanta is top 5 protected, so Atlanta gets Dallas? 2020 pick and we get their 2022 and 2024 1st round picks, which is starting to get ridiculous.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think Knits is going to be odd man out. I?m glad CLEE and his knappy hair is gone. you are glad Timjr is gone ?zero sum player? and Kiyaman will be glad KP is gone. Freed up plenty of cap space for sounds like 2 MAX free agents and we still have our #1 pick. I love it.

Well well .. Tired-KP had enough of watching Clueless-Fizdale foolish coaching from the side lines, plus the Knicks front-office look to have plans on keeping Fizdale for another Tank-Tank season .. That thought alone, probably had KP's brother get in contact with Cuban while the Mavs visited NY LMAO !!!

Truth be said ....
If Tired-KP does get traded to the Mavs, then and only then will KP finally become the star-player so many Knick fans been hyping him up to be in NY. One good season under Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle's each one teach one system, plus KP having Dirk mentoring his perimeter moves n position, plus tightening up his inside game in the paint .... Yes! KP will become the 80 game played star a long-side Luka for above .500 seasons.

Kiyaman

Legend
If Timmy and C.Lee get traded to the Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle system .... We Knick fans will see a new improve Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee in Dallas ..Wow!
This trade might prove the decade rebuilding Knicks should be called the "Mismanagement-Knicks !!!

Broadway

All Star
Hopefully Dallas doesn?t somehow end up with a top 5 draft pick this year. If they do, the pick they traded to Atlanta is top 5 protected, so Atlanta gets Dallas? 2020 pick and we get their 2022 and 2024 1st round picks, which is starting to get ridiculous.

Dallas is only 5gms back of the playoffs and if #kporzee is healthy like what some were speculating, with ?wonderful savvy? vets like THJR and Lee they could make a playoff push?

Doesn?t the rule still apply he needs to get back on court in order to demand Max Money?

Paul1355

All Star
Who else thinks the Knicks are stock piling picks to trade for Anthony Davis?

-They could trade 3 first round picks for AD and have enough cap space for two max players with him if they let Matthews and Jordan walk, since they traded away hardaway,Lee (30 mil), KP (max deal), Kanter (18 mil expiring), Noah buyout (12 mil shed), and Hezonja/baker gone (10 mil shed), they?d have barely any significant money committed to anyone next season...

Knicks payroll was 110 million before this deal

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-They could trade 3 first round picks for AD and have enough cap space for two max players with him if they let Matthews and Jordan walk, since they traded away hardaway,Lee (30 mil), KP (max deal), Kanter (18 mil expiring), Noah buyout (12 mil shed), and Hezonja/baker gone (10 mil shed), they?d have barely any significant money committed to anyone next season...

Thoughts?

I think AD became off limits if you believe his eventual goal is to go to the Lakers.

Last edited:
Perry just outright said it. They traded KP because he no longer wanted to be a Knick. All the analysts criticizing this deal ?oh how can you trade away a transcendent player? need to understand that he was leaving NYC, one way or another.

mafra

Legend
Perry just outright said it. They traded KP because he no longer wanted to be a Knick. All the analysts criticizing this deal ?oh how can you trade away a transcendent player? need to understand that he was leaving NYC, one way or another.

This has to be the main motivation.... Dolan/Mills/Perry shot the Shiite last night and Cuban asked what it would take pry KP away... Perry called Demps and asked if a KP-AD deal would work... NO said no...

Knicks calls in KP and asked him flat out... is he invested in this team? KP said nope. Mills has had enough of this nonsense from KP for 2 years ... maybe his medical more scary then people know... so they took the deal...

Young player, cap relief, 2 first rounders... not bad for KP with 1 year left. Not great but there?s potential.

I mean, otherwise Mills looks stupid. He signs Timmy then has to trade away his best player just to clear that contract off the books.

mafra

Legend
It seems Kristaps Porzingis did not like what he was seeing.

According to Knicks president Steve Mills, the Latvian star wasn?t seeing eye to eye with management. That led to a blockbuster deal that quickly took shape, sending Porzingis to the Dallas Mavericks along with Tim Hardaway Jr., Courtney Lee and Trey Burke on Thursday for Dennis Smith Jr., a pair of first-round picks and the expiring contracts of DeAndre Jordan and Wesley Matthews.

On a conference call Thursday evening, Mills said the 7-footer ?was not completely on board with the plan we laid out. This morning he confirmed he didn?t want to be a Knick.?

A hint, Mills said, was seeing how often Porzingis had been attending practices recently. He did not suit up for a game this season while recovering from a torn ACL, but had publicly sparred with coach David Fizdale.

?I?m relieved that we know,? Mills said of Porzingis? disposition. ?We want to know if you?re in with us or not in with us. ? There?s nothing to be angry about.?

A source told The Post?s Marc Berman that the center had harbored ill feelings for a couple of years, leading to Thursday?s meeting and eventual trade.

(NY Post)

Carmelo poisoned him. But he also was a two-faced bum... just look at his family and his lifestyle. He looks more like a guy who enjoys being an NBA ?Star? than a grinder who wants to be a great player. What i mean is, he is typical of the entitled generation, who don?t want to work to earn their success... they equate their potential/talent as being enough that the blessings of greatness should be bestowed upon their crown before they have to fight, struggle,battle and take their throne.

mafra

Legend
I?m concerned that Mills will squander this opportunity... I worry about Perry and Fizdale track record. Nothing this .org has done the last 18 years inspires confidence.

I mean, we?re starting all over again...

But...

We do possess some assets:

Knox, DSJ, Trier, Knits, MRob, Kornet, Dotson.

We have 2019 lottery pick.
Extra picks in 2021 & 2023.

We have trade assets in Vonleh, Jordan, Kanter, Matthews.

We may be starting over from scratch again....

Maybe we whiff and fail to get a max free agent, let alone 2. OK. No big deal.

Did you know in 2023, Knox will only be 23? Knits will be 24.

Maybe we have to slightly overpay for a Harris or Rozier? Maybe we don?t sign anybody.

Maybe we get Zion... are bad again and get another lottery in 2020 draft.

I just hope we don?t sign another Amare, Noah, THjr. We don?t need to push our chips into middle of the table for b-free agents. Shoot for the best... if we whiff, sit back and plan to be a very good team come 2021-2023....

Imagine Zion and a lottery pick in 2020. We start being a 6-8 seed team... young team come 2021... then we have 5 first rounders in 21-23... that?s valuable trade stuff...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Thoughts?

This was a financial move to ship away a disgruntle young player that trade value may exceed his ability. I say may because we don't know that Kristaps can carry a team and stay healthy. Not going to **** on him. I'm sad to see him go, but he wanted out.

This was a good move by the Knicks, even if they don't get the number one pick, even if they don't get one soul in free agency. There will always be a free agency year and if the Knicks are going to stink it up anyway, might as well keep payroll low until the 'right' player pops up.

tiger0330

Legend
Mills is full of his usual BS. How the guy keeps his job after giving a scrub like Baker 9M when nobody in the league was offering him the rookie minimum or that contract he gave THJ when the Hawks pegged his value at less than 50M.

Porzingis was a rising star, an AS and the best draft pick to come along since Ewing. Losing him is going to to set them back an unquantifiable amount. Weren't they going to use him as the face of the franchise to attract other FAs? If he had seen some progress on the court as far as wins maybe they could have kept him but you had Fizdale throwing out random lineups night after night and benching his best players for young guys that didn't deserve to play ahead of the vets. Maybe Fiz should have had them rotate through the GLeague instead to get their playing time. I still don't know if Fizdale really has a strategy because it sure looks like he's tanking but who knows, all I know is the team is worse in mid season than it was in NOV.

And that BS with Obama's brother in law that the organization has the secret sauce for player development but he could not share it because then it wouldn't be secret.

Now after trading him the Knicks have to get real lucky and hope they have a 14% chance of getting Zion or that any top FA is going to sign when the guy they call the Unicorn isn't here to play with them. I doubt it, more likely they pay THJ money for a guy like KCP, who couldn't get more than 1 year deals from the Lakers or that procession of 1 yr players like DRose, Affalo, DWill that we've had since PJ was here and speaking of PJ how come Mills doesn't get some of the blame for that disaster, wasn't he president at the time and wasn't he in on the interview process. Perry might be a good hire but Mills has proven nothing and Porzingis had every right to say under his breath the Knicks are full of it with the record what it is.