Making a run at Artest???

FameMos

Benchwarmer
When I saw Dickau, Jones and Randolph being introduced yesterday I got the feeling that they weren't gonna be traded. If i'm right, the players I c getting traded are Nate, Q, Malik, Morris, both JJ's and Crawford. 2 bad we can't get Lewis now that he's going 2 Orlando :(

Last edited:

pat

Starter
Did Lewis win anything already? No! The same is true for Artest. The Knicks should concentrate on role players who know how do win games.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I'm willing to take a chance on Randolph not upsetting the team chemistry with his behavior because he's young, could still mature, and Isiah is pretty good with players with this kind of issue. However, if the Knicks sign Artest I'm throwing in the towel for the next few seasons. Artest may be a great talent, but he's a proven idiot and will destroy the Knicks. We do need some defensive help and outside shooting, but I'd rather have a decent team team this year and continue to improve the young players over time than screw everything up for a few years with a guy like Artest.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i would love to see artest here, artest is a true knick, a hard nose player, knicks lack that, i think artest in NY would be great

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yes Artest would definitely be the final piece to the puzzle. BUT its a hard acquisition to make. Not because Artest would not want to come here nor would Sacramento love to ship him out its just a matter of making a deal work where Sac gets value and we can fit it into Artests "small" 7.8 salary.

At this point Dickau and Jones are untradable. 2 months is the time limit before we can trade away the newly acquired players.

SOO Isiah continues to shop Jared Jeffries, Nate Robinson, Randolph Morris. So you could imagine a package of all three players possibly. Especially seeing Sacramento needs all three of those things backup PG, a new SF, and a big man. Itll be really interesting in the coming days. But I think this is a trade that can very well happen by the end of the month.

Ron Artest is a perfect fir for us for a few reasons

1) There is no team in the league that would say they would'nt want a defensive monster like him on their team, and there is no Knick fan that would state that we don't need a upgrade on our perimeter Defense to say the least

2) His salary comes off the books in two years anyways, if Ron is a disturbance to the team then we that will be his final staw for him in the NBA and we just don't re sighn him, all the more incentive to trade him for the expiring contracts.

3) Aside from is D he can hit the perimeter shot, is he as offensively gifted as say Lewis or Carter...no, but his well above average offensive game combined w/ his D makes him a much better acqusition than both of these players

4) we can get him for next to nothing... there is the scenerio of trading Morris, Nate and Jefferies ( not likely) for him. But again the expiring contracts w/ Balkman ( I hate to see him go but he is the most tradable) and a pick would be the best for the Knicks. Even though that trade can't happen to almost September, if I'm the Kings I'll wait, I mean what's the harm in doing so, plus all the other teams after him are from the West, Miami appears to have an interest in him, and I see that as the only obstacle for the Knicks as far as another team beating us out, but Artest and his agent could let teams know that Ron only wants to be in NY.

5) Lastly, the coach that he broke out under was none other than coach Isiah Thomas. Isiah didn't exactly have controll over Ron's behavior in Indiania, but I think Ron is older now, and has to be tired of the whole bad rep thing and being from New York I don't think he would like to embarass the Knicks like that ( atleast I hope). If we can take a chance on Zach why not Ron?

Look we all go back and fourth as to how much we like Zeke or hate him, but at the end of the day we're all Knicks fans and want to see this team a force again, and if we land Ron this summer then this it will make us a force again and will be the most productive Knick off season since we landed LJ, Houston, and Childs( shouldv'e been Hardaway).

6) ok one last point...we're finally redeemed from the 99 draft ! I mean as much as I love that Vince Carter's dunk in the Olympics in 00, I can't help but feel just as ashamed being the team that drafted him as the country he was playing for when the dunk happened. And Ron would make it all better for me

knicklover

Benchwarmer
You guys are wildly underrating the negative impact a guy like Artest can have on a young team and you are wildly overrating his ability to mature out of his problems.

First off, he's not a kid anymore. And second, all you have to do is hear him in one interview to know he's a total knucklehead.

He couldn't keep his act together in interviews while he was serving his major suspension. Either he's really dumb, so out of control no one can keep him from being disruptive, or he has serious psychological problems (maybe all three).

If we have Robinson, Artest, and Randolph on the same team with a bunch of rookies and second year players we are simply begging for a season ending mess. There is no one on this team that is a seasoned pro with excellent leadership ability that could help Isiah keep everyone in line because he commands so much respect. If anything Marburry comes closest and he's no bargain to keep under control by himself.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
I can live without artest, altho i do think that he can defensively make a good impact on this team. The problem is his desire, he wants to be a label exec or record albums whatever, how bad does he want to win a championship?
I agree we should focus on players who have hunger for winning.
I like the direction we are heading at our SF position, i dont expect much from Q becuase of his injuries altho if he can have a breakout season like he started last year, now that we have balkman established, he'll give Q good rest. Last year in the beginning no jj becuase of his hand, and no real confidence in a rookie just yet forced Q to play alot of min.
I feel comfortable having Q or balkman start, tehy both play different but balkman is similar to lee with his energy and rebounding. Plus hes very good and running the full court for fast break points.
Balkman's D should only be better than his solid performance last year. Not having artest also avoids the possiblity of this knucklehead pulling some of his antics. I believe in 2nd chances but artest has his in SAC and still screwed up.
we have 1 reclamation project in zach, lets not go overboard and push our luck

wymm

Rookie
Artest on the Knicks would be very nice to see. The nice thing about NY is that Artest would be able to pursue his label exec/record albums dream while playing for the Knicks at the same time. Besides that, his family would probably keep him pretty much in line so that he is able to stay in NY.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Let's get serious here a second... Ron Artest is a talented player... but like knickslover and giantknicksfan said... the potential damage he could do to our youngsters is too great for me to co-sign especially with gerald wallace out there... for those of you who think he will be better under IT in NY let's peep the history of ron ron since the fight shall we?

1) Before the malice in the palace, Ronny asked for time off to rest... he was tired from producing and family and his day job...

2) After the fight... The Pacers organization stood behind Artest supporting him and never publicly shitting on him...

3) He asks for a trade because of the INDIANA press... the media in INDIANA was too much for him...

4) He goes to Sac and brings them to the playoffs and pushes SA to 6 games...

5) He begs them to bring back Adleman and Bonzi Wells...

6) Both are gone and the following season he starts buggin again...

i ask everyone on this forum... does anyone think Ron will survive more than 1 year in NY without cracking? the NY media is merciless... and what happens when IT trades one of Ronny's friends?

Here's a comparison of Artest and Wallace:

<b>Artest
Age 28
Height 6-7
Weight 260</b>:
<i>PPG 18.8
RPG 6.5
APG 3.4
SPG 2.13
BPG .61
FG% .440
FT% .740
3P% .358
MPG 37.7</i>

Pros:
Best man-to-man defender in the league, can defend four positions, can score from anywhere on the floor, can create his own shots, can be go-to guy on both ends

Cons:
KNUCKLEHEAD, older, not as athletic, takes poor shots at times, KNUCKLEHEAD

<b>Wallace
Age 25
Height 6-7
Weight 215</b>:
<i>PPG 18.1
RPG 7.2
APG 2.6
SPG 2.00
BPG .96
FG% .502
FT% .691
3P% .325
MPG 36.7</i>

Pros:
Younger, more athletic, better shot blocker, takes more higher percentage shots (thus the higher fg%), more explosive, NOT A KNUCKLEHEAD, runs floor well on break

Cons:
below average - average perimeter shooter, poor free throw shooter, gambles on defense
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
we all agree artest is a talent upgrade over everyone that we have on our roster right now... and he instantly imrpoves our perimeter defense, thereby reducing our need for a shot blocker... HOWEVER (<i>Stephen A. Smith voice-over</i>)... gerald wallace provides many of his strengths without the looming mental health issues...

As much as IT tries and gets along with his players... he was never able to control Ronny in Indy... couldn't get Vin Baker to sober up... can't get Jerome James to sober up either... Curry's confidence, Steph's ego and the littany of Knick psychological issues DO NOT mask any deep underlying issues that people receive medication and/or expensive therapy that IT cannot provide... artest + randolph + the big apple = recipe for disaster... hopefully, we don't get artest and this argument is moot... but if this is the kind of move we're seriously considering... then i might have to get onboard with metro's camp again and call for IT's head...

metrocard

Legend
^ Well written post.

but, Nate Robinson and Randolph?

Artest = Rasheed transformation...stop hating on my dude. Artest belongs in New York. We're a team full of pussies, we need some hardcore dudes like Artest...lol you act like he's going to sell drugs to our youngins...calm the fuck down everyone. Artest isn't as bad as the media protrays him. He's not a thug, or a bad guy. He's a great all star NBA player with amazing defense. We need ARTEST.

We need Artest more than we neeed Randolph, Curry or Crawford. He's the missing piece to New York.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
if artest can calm the fuck down then yeah... i say bring him in... personally... i don't respect a man that hits women... that's not my thing... artest has been accused (this season) of domestic abuse and animal cruelty (not that i give a shit about animal rights either)... add that to his history of trouble making i dunno... hopefully this off season works out and we're the surprise champs in 08... but i really don't wanna see artest fuck up our chemistry with some insane blowout... remember how close the pacers were until he lost it?

metrocard

Legend
if artest can calm the fuck down then yeah... i say bring him in... personally... i don't respect a man that hits women... that's not my thing... artest has been accused (this season) of domestic abuse and animal cruelty (not that i give a shit about animal rights either)... add that to his history of trouble making i dunno... hopefully this off season works out and we're the surprise champs in 08... but i really don't wanna see artest fuck up our chemistry with some insane blowout... remember how close the pacers were until he lost it?

I can't respect a man who hits a woman either, but as an athlete you gotta respect Artest. Kinda like I respect Pun as an Artist, but not the thug he was...even though he was a good guy at times.

Artest when not suspended and O'Neil when wealthy were an elite team. Pacers won like 60 games that season.

Theres no RISK with Artest.

If Knicks don't like him, he expires in 2 years, so you're not going to deal with him until 2010, theres no worry.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Since when does a guy's personal life have anything to do with basketball? Anthony Mason as I recall got into tons of fucking trouble in and around NYC...yet people especially KNICK fans love him. Patrick Ewing frequented strip clubs constantly...Lawrence Taylor had drug problems coming out the ass..so did Micheal Ray Richardson......just saying it's really kind of half assed to judge a man passed of a few mistakes in his personal life. He made a mistake damn, let's not re-live it.

Domestic Violence is easy to get into, these days you just verbally argue loud enough with your woman that can be construed as domestic violence. Did it say he constantly abused her? NO. He hit her once....to be blunt that could be any man on this site one time after she pushes too many of your buttons after an very very difficult day..not saying he should have hit her...but shit happens..plain and simple.

I don't see a difference between a man hitting a woman, or a woman constantly slapping the face of a man which by the way seems to be perfectly acceptable in society...but the other way around..seems to cause the most havoc with people's personal opinions. I say if it's socially acceptable for her to hit him, the reverse must hold true. End of story, we are supposed to be equals now...let women grow the fuck up. You hit him, and he has more power and a better shot..should hit someone in your own weight class it's that simple. No one should be allowed to hit anyone at all for any reason period. But most men become pussies because it's a woman...and for no other reason deem it to be wrong, then we wonder why there is no full on equality.

But anyway...I would trade for him just not David Lee.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
^ Well written post.

but, Nate Robinson and Randolph?

Artest = Rasheed transformation...stop hating on my dude. Artest belongs in New York. We're a team full of pussies, we need some hardcore dudes like Artest...lol you act like he's going to sell drugs to our youngins...calm the fuck down everyone. Artest isn't as bad as the media protrays him. He's not a thug, or a bad guy. He's a great all star NBA player with amazing defense. We need ARTEST.

We need Artest more than we neeed Randolph, Curry or Crawford. He's the missing piece to New York.

I agree 100%. Artest has issues, no doubt but he respects Thomas and he wants to play in NY. We all haven't agreed on this in the past but this team respects Thomas and allot of them owe him for taking a chance on them. Curry knows that Thomas gave up allot to get him here and Randolph knows that Thomas has faith in him when not many other people did. The same goes for Marbury and Balkman. This is why I'm for Artest coming to NY. All of these guys will play hard for them and I don't think chemistry will be a problem. It would make for the perfect casts. The rebuilding process will be complete.
Happy 4th I'm going to get something to eat.

KOWIE

Rookie
I'm willing to take a chance on Randolph not upsetting the team chemistry with his behavior because he's young, could still mature, and Isiah is pretty good with players with this kind of issue. However, if the Knicks sign Artest I'm throwing in the towel for the next few seasons. Artest may be a great talent, but he's a proven idiot and will destroy the Knicks. We do need some defensive help and outside shooting, but I'd rather have a decent team team this year and continue to improve the young players over time than screw everything up for a few years with a guy like Artest.

exactly how can the knicks get much worse? the last 2 years havent been mediocre, let alone anything near respectable.....we should have drafted him out of st johnsto begin with....hes a knucklehead, but who knows what happens when you dont get trapped in indiana for years on end....