Official Free Agency Thread

Really Mo/Jimmer(who are by no means a PGs), they're shooters/scorers horrible options. Begley tweeted that Deron Williams and Burke are available but the remaining options are trash because really none of them can pass on nothing of real value(mentorship) except maybe DW.

We screwed the pooch here and we're going to have to deal with it. Drafted a so called "point guard" (Frankie is more an off guard like Holiday with less offense) and still have point guard issues. Only the Knicks can produce these results.

I think because we renounced Rose I don't think we can S&T with Bucks/Deli, may need clarity on this, although not enamored with this ? option either.

It's a mess, but our team is a bunch of underdeveloped children, not just Ntilikina. I think Ntilikina will be able to play both the 1 and 2 guard for us based on what I have seen in his videos. Either he will work for it or he won't. Same as KP.

We're not asking these guys to win MVPs this year, just give us some reasons to be excited to watch them play at age 18 (soon to be 19) and age 21.

Kiyaman

Legend
Not sure how this deal works for the Rondo and Holiday combination, but I like this signing a lot for a team trying to figure it out how to make it work with Cousins and Anthony Davis. Back when we first got Melo, I always really wanted this team to sign a PG like Rondo to figure out how to make that Melo and Amare combination work.

I'm bummed out that we didn't really pursue Rondo. Maybe we get another PG in the Melo trade, but in the end, we've created a situation where either Baker or Ntilikina is going to have to figure it out this season more or less on their own or we can expect KP, WHG, and THJ to struggle as much to get shots in the post-triangle era as our offensive options did in the triangle era.

I too like the way the Pelicans pulled off grabbing the best two players in one of their opponents starter-lineups in Cuz n Rondo to add to the Pelicans rotation. Great move.
Jrue Holiday finally has the experience veteran PG on the roster n in the rotation for a 82 game season.
Rondo performance will add more creativeness to the Pelicans style of ballin and in the Pelicans twin towers, plus Rondo will add creativeness to Holiday's uptempo n halfcourt performance in ball-movement and trapping defense.
Rondo will give the Pelicans a chance to run a fast uptempo 3-guard offense throughout the season.

Mills has been in the business to long to know the best players in the FA market will be signed by July 15th, especially FA starter players. Im sure today the majority of Knicks Fans would have had an optimistic feeling bout the upcoming season if Mills had signed Rondo n Simmons instead of THJ n Baker.

paris401

Starter
Im sure today the majority of Knicks Fans would have had an optimistic feeling bout the upcoming season if Mills had signed Rondo n Simmons instead of THJ n Baker.

the less FA's we sign the more optimistic I have become... the key word for this season is TANK... why sign a rondo, or whoever that will poss give us another 1/2 dozen wins... or god-forbid get us into the 8th spot in the playoff;s... we wanta be the 2016-17 net's, only worse... we want...gotta have a top pick next year...and maybe even the following year... tank...tank...tank...

Broadway

All Star
EL OH EL @ Cleveland

But but but but how could we just renounce Rose and let him walk to Cleveland? I would hate to see Rose land there and win while doing us dirty....Oh Wait maybe I shouldn't have used Rose's name here, maybe there is a better player name more suited ...as an example :eek:hboy:

All we got was a massive contract in THJR for letting Rose walk to Cleveland for free and they are in the East. NIIIICCE!!!!

Last edited:
EL OH EL @ Cleveland

But but but but how could we just renounce Rose and let him walk to Cleveland. I would hate to see Rose land there and win while doing us dirty....Oh Wait maybe I shouldn't have used Rose's here maybe there is a better player name more suited here...as an example :eek:hboy:

All we got was a massive contract in THJR for letting Rose walk to Cleveland for free and they are in the East. NIIIICCE!!!!

100 million dollars says Ron Baker as our starting PG will have more letters in his last name than Derrick Rose will playing in Cleveland by the end of the season.

Broadway

All Star
100 million dollars says Ron Baker as our starting PG will have more letters in his last name than Derrick Rose will playing in Cleveland by the end of the season.

Ha ha ha funny

I figured Rose wouldn't have much value this offseason. He should've never opened his mouth like he did 3yrs ago, dude got humbled.

If they sign him there's a chance Rose will have a good yr and maybe get his value back up, only via trickery.

Personally I think it shows Cleveland doesn't have a real plan and operating off of losing Lebron fear factor again. Real interesting to see how bad teams are ran from the outside, they really stand out.

If Rose is who some think he is, he could move the needle ever so slightly and help them, IMO it won't end well for him nor them. I bet their fan base is sippin the Fool-Aid!

mafra

Legend
Good pick up for CLE... 6th man of year a possibility. Will help second unit score.... ironic how Rose wouldn't recruit LJ to CHI but now he slithers to Lebron

A big difference renouncing Rose and letting him walk away for nada than paying Melo 55 mil to walk to CLE.

Fans want owners to write checks they wouldnt write themselves.

Broadway

All Star
A big difference renouncing Rose and letting him walk away for nada than paying Melo 55 mil to walk to CLE.

Fans want owners to write checks they wouldnt write themselves.

Not really especially considering Dolan's past and recent history with finances, and I think you're one of the more critical fans of Dolan...justifiably so.

I do agree writing blank checks to a ghost has gotta be bizarre but sometimes circumstances call for it. But looking back at history of blank checks and bad checks

Over half a decade of paying Luxury Taxes who knows the true amount but more than likely around $100mil
Larry Brown paid $18mil to walk away
Eddy Curry paid $60mil wanted to buy him out and couldn't because Curry needed all his shekels
Anucha Browne Sanders paid $11.8mil could've paid her $250-500k instead to walk away not to mention all the legal fees
Amare Stoudemire paid $100mil and then bought him out final yr ate approx $10mil
Travis Outlaw waived $3mil
Carmelo $67mil and then $125mil + kicker
Derrick Fisher $20mil to walk away
Noah paid $80mil
Phil $60mil...picked up last 2yrs at $24mil 3mos later fired him and ate $24mil
THJR $71mil + kicker
Whatever he ate for fired assistant coaches

Everyone on this list(maybe I forgot a couple more) except Sanders, I would've never wrote the original check to but then look at all this dead money Dolan absorbed after the regret. He's shown over and over again he will eat money without blinking an eye.

The only oddity in all this, he stops his Bucks with Melo. Why? Like I've said all along Dolan makes decisions based on emotions and it has wrecked this franchise in every case hence one of the main reason fans have been so critical of him.

As far as Rose to Cavs not sure he moves the needle any more than Melo would in Houston but the premise remains the same in that we enabled Cleveland an Eastern Conference foe by the careless decision making on our part(the counter argument correct?). Who knows maybe we could've sent Rose to the Bucks for compensation Delly and 2nd rounders, but we kept faking interest in him until it led us to a sunken place.

If Melo is on this roster to start the season because teams continue to offer trash for him in exchange, it will be another colossal blunder by Dolan not engaging in a buyout and waiving him.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Lakers will meet with free agent PG Derrick Rose on Thursday.

The Cavaliers have reportedly offered Rose a one-year deal worth anywhere from $2.1 to $2.5 million, while the Lakers can offer a $4.3M exception. It's no secret that they want to bring in a veteran to mentor Lonzo Ball, and ESPN's Ramona Shelburne said the Lakers believe "they can offer more playing time in a better environment after his tumultuous year in New York." While no deal is imminent, it seems like the Cavaliers and the Lakers are the frontrunners to sign Rose, while the Bucks are fading from view.

mafra

Legend
Not really especially considering Dolan's past and recent history with finances, and I think you're one of the more critical fans of Dolan...justifiably so.

I do agree writing blank checks to a ghost has gotta be bizarre but sometimes circumstances call for it. But looking back at history of blank checks and bad checks

Over half a decade of paying Luxury Taxes who knows the true amount but more than likely around $100mil
Larry Brown paid $18mil to walk away
Eddy Curry paid $60mil wanted to buy him out and couldn't because Curry needed all his shekels
Anucha Browne Sanders paid $11.8mil could've paid her $250-500k instead to walk away not to mention all the legal fees
Amare Stoudemire paid $100mil and then bought him out final yr ate approx $10mil
Travis Outlaw waived $3mil
Carmelo $67mil and then $125mil + kicker
Derrick Fisher $20mil to walk away
Noah paid $80mil
Phil $60mil...picked up last 2yrs at $24mil 3mos later fired him and ate $24mil
THJR $71mil + kicker
Whatever he ate for fired assistant coaches

Everyone on this list(maybe I forgot a couple more) except Sanders, I would've never wrote the original check to but then look at all this dead money Dolan absorbed after the regret. He's shown over and over again he will eat money without blinking an eye.

The only oddity in all this, he stops his Bucks with Melo. Why? Like I've said all along Dolan makes decisions based on emotions and it has wrecked this franchise in every case hence one of the main reason fans have been so critical of him.

As far as Rose to Cavs not sure he moves the needle any more than Melo would in Houston but the premise remains the same in that we enabled Cleveland an Eastern Conference foe by the careless decision making on our part. Who knows maybe we could've sent Rose to the Bucks for compensation Delly and 2nd rounders, but we kept faking interest in him until it led us to a sunken place.

If Melo is on this roster to start the season because teams continue to offer trash for him in exchange, it will be another colossal blunder by Dolan not engaging in a buyout and waiving him.

Dolan just cut a check for 50 mil to boot Phil... Is still paying DF around 15 mil... Asking Dolan to cut another 54, and have 1/10 of a billion dollars evaporate for nada for 2017-2018? When is enough enough? I understand... if it aint your money... who cares.

paris401

Starter
ironic how Rose wouldn't recruit LJ to CHI but now he slithers to Lebro.

slithers to LeBron??? exactly how many offers does rose have on the table... its probably the only offer he has received except for the offer from the Chinese team to play along side 'starbury'... it wasn't too long ago rose was talking of a 100/150m contract.... yea...maybe in Italian lira... another over the hill bum

tiger0330

Legend
We've signed Dotson, our 2nd round pick, to a 3-year contract with 2 guaranteed years.
There goes the remaining cap space. Vet min contracts are all the Knicks can sign players for now. Knicks deserve a D or F for their management of the cap so far, a trade is coming the question will it be Melo.

tiger0330

Legend
Strangest thing this off-season to me is DRose can't get a whiff and has to sign a 1 year deal for the vet min but Ron Baker gets 9M for 2 years. I thought the guys that had the better years got the most money.

Broadway

All Star
Strangest thing this off-season to me is DRose can't get a whiff and has to sign a 1 year deal for the vet min but Ron Baker gets 9M for 2 years. I thought the guys that had the better years got the most money.

D-Rose ruined himself when he was counting his pennies 3yrs before he was free. I had a feeling he was going to have his come downins this off-season and that he did. Selfish Jerk deserves it!