Knicks sign Anthony Roberson

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07162008/sports/knicks/roberson_deal_could_be_end_for_marbury_120090.htm

LAS VEGAS - The KnicksNew York Knicks have agreed in principle on a two-year contract to sign free-agent guard Anthony Roberson, with the deal likely to expediate the departure of Stephon MarburyStephon Marbury , The Post has learned.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh appeared to be waiting to add another backcourt player before he made a move with Marbury. And now he feels he has it in Roberson, a 6-2 combo guard who is playing for the Knicks summer-league team here and excelled in his debut, scoring 22 points, including three 3-pointers.

Roberson played for Memphis and Golden State before last season when he competed for teams in Jerusalem and Istanbul.

The signing will give the Knicks 16 players with guaranteed contracts - one over the limit. The Knicks also have considered waiving center Jerome JamesJerome James , who played five minutes last season and still has knee pain.

Walsh is still looking for point-guard help through a trade.

The Knicks insisted there is no truth to a summer-league rumor that Marbury would be released by week's end. Marbury, who still could be traded, said yesterday he hasn't been approached. In fact, interestingly, Marbury has not yet dined with coach Mike D'Antoni, who has consulted several other veterans on whether they view Marbury as a divisive force in the locker room.

While he's been complimentary of all his guards, D'Antoni has spoken very little about Marbury, 31, this week and his apparent doomed status is a signal the Knicks are in clear rebuilding mode with an eye on another lottery pick. They view Marbury as a potential divisive force despite his exceptional skill level.

Roberson, who played at Florida, said contract details were being finalized. A source said the first year of Roberson's salary will be at the minimum for players in their third season ($790,000). Still to be determined is whether the second year is at the team's option.

Roberson's agent is Chris Lucci, who also represented Wilson Chandler, Isiah Thomas' last draft pick who excelled in the summer-league opener Monday with 26 points.

D'Antoni raved about Roberson earlier this week but admitted being concerned Roberson would draw so much attention another team would invite him to training camp. So the Knicks decided to lock him up.

"He really can shoot," D'Antoni said Sunday.

"A lot of people compare him to Jennaro Pargo, Eddie House, Daniel Gibson," Lucci said. "He can come off the bench in that style play and put up buckets."

Roberson started at shooting guard alongside Mardy Collins Monday against Cleveland. Then he slid over to point guard when Collins was out of the game.

After signing point guard Chris Duhon last week, Walsh said he also was trying to add one more shooter to the roster. And Walsh may now feel his backcourt can survived without Marbury. However, one league executive said Duhon is a top-10 backup point guard and not a full-time starter.

D'Antoni feels Nate Robinson has perfect skills to excel in his running offense. "That guy [Robinson] is like a rocket out there," D'Antoni said. "If we can open the court up for him, it will make him that more dangerous."

Roberson played 15 games with Memphis in 2005-2006, and 20 games for the Warriors in 2006-2007.

Trin_Starr

Starter
So we're now 1 over the roster - somebody's got to go.

Here's what draftexpress had to say about Roberson's game on monday

Anthony Roberson: 22 Points, 8-19 FG, 3-8 3FG, 3-4 FT, 2 Rebounds, 1 Steal, 2 Turnovers

This was a typical Summer League game for Roberson. When he gets hot, he dominates the game on the offensive end, taking the bulk of his team?s shots and not setting up his teammates. While his ability to put points on the board is incredibly impressive, it doesn?t change the fact that he?s been the same player for years. He showed the same quickness to the rim and lethal range that he always seems to. Unfortunately, he also showed the lack of development in his point guard skills and little dedication defensively. Roberson seems intent on playing in the NBA, and while it is possible he could find a home if he continues to shoot the three well, he could be a star in Europe.

So now we have 3 combo guards in Crawford, Nate and Roberson with 2 true backup point guards in Duhon and Mardy...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Interesting article. I don't know much about him but according to the article Roberson could start. Not a good sign for Marbury. Only thing is we've got an ass load of point guards now. I expect a trade soon.

metrocard

Legend
Robertson is a D level guard

Mardy is also a D level guard

Robinson is C level, potentially C+

Crawford is C+/B-

Duhon is C level.

ALOT OF medicorness at a very important position.

Oh well, I'll be happy if we get rid of Randolph and Curry to let Gallo and Lee get more minutes at their positions.

Our back court is garbage though. All these guys belong on the bench.

GetRealistic

Starter
Couldn't hurt to have a shooter come off the bench. Or maybe just maybe this new regime is smart and will let a guy like Roberson play in the D-League until an injury occurs.

Just cause hes signed doesn't mean hes assured anything, that kid Jarred Jordan was signed last year and was cut.

Roberson kinda reminds me of an Eddie House. Roberson can drive a little better, but House probably defends more. House really played good D in the finals.

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
The signing of Roberson is the final blow.

I'n not a haterbury... it's a pity one has to clarify this before saying something about Stephon other than he's a great player. Stephon's skills ARE indisputable, and Knicks management aknowledges that.

However, we have to accept the fact he's not gonna play another game as a Knick and move on.

We have five guards now, D'Antoni has not talked much about Steph nor to him other than give some weak support, D'Antoni has already talked up every other player, Stephon is desperately trying to fit in, etc. etc. etc.... the writing is on the wall.

Some can lament forever his departure and if things dont turn around quickly we will find ourselves wondering what may have been. But I choose to move on and focus on what is left.

We now have three tasmanian devils on the court in Jamal, n8 and Roberson. We also have two good defenders in Duhon and Mardy. DAntoni's comment that he will open it up for Nate is encouraging. If things stick, we may have Jamal, Nate and Duhon starting with Lee and Chandler up front. Defense is thrown out the window but opposing teams will have use their entire benches to keep up with the madness. I could live with that until 2010.

But then again, Dan and Don are still looking for a guard. So I believe that means Mardy may be included in any trade.

D'Antoni feels Nate Robinson has perfect skills to excel in his running offense. "That guy [Robinson] is like a rocket out there," D'Antoni said. "If we can open the court up for him, it will make him that more dangerous."

god I love our new coach.

Zeke would be like this, yo yo , blah blah blah, nate played a great game, but we will keep putting a harness on him to wait up for spaghetti curry, and snack randsoft. blah blah blah.

no he sees talent. potential and says

I call it here first. mark my words

6th man of the year nate robinson top 3 voting
Rookie of the year The cock top 3 voting
Most improved player Chandler top 3 voting/duhon top 5 voting
Coach of the year, hands down MIke Dantoni

call me out if you want, but dont forget to get down on both knees when the seasons over and im right.

GetRealistic

Starter
He signed a 2 year contract, that's the difference.

Good point, didn't think of that. So if they are going to buy out Marbury at what point do you see it happening? I'd guess they'd wait till after this summer league just to keep from drawing more attention to it then need be.

metrocard

Legend
So now everyone thinks Roberston is the starting PG of the New York Knicks?
We need guard depth, it doesn't mean Marbury will be gone.
Illogical prediction.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't understand this move. We already have Nate. We have an overload of SG's in PG's bodies. How many f*cking combo guards do we need? Does Donnie or Mike D realize we need some post defenders too? We desperately need (we've needed this for 3 years now) an athletic shot-blocker in the post. A Camby or Tyson Chandler type of player.

I don't care how many great shooters we get, if we can't stop the opponent from driving the lane and laying up a basket we will lose. Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, or maybe I'm just bitter the Clippers got Camby for nothing, but I just don't understand this move at all.

GetRealistic

Starter
So now everyone thinks Roberston is the starting PG of the New York Knicks?
We need guard depth, it doesn't mean Marbury will be gone.
Illogical prediction.

I never said he would start. Just said having an actually knock down shooter on the bench would be nice. And how is it illogical prediction? And i'm not looking for an arguement or to hear stats or your Marbury monologue. But its long rumored he'll be bought out and now we sign another guard, think its a pretty logical assumption.

"The New York Knicks have agreed in principle to a two year contract with free agent Anthony Roberson, the New York Post is reporting.

The deal, according to the Post, is likely to expediate the departure of Stephon Marbury.

While the Knicks are trying to acquire help at the point through a trade, they did deny the rumor that Marbury's time in New York would officially come to an end by the end of the week.

The Knicks also have considered waiving center Jerome James, who played five minutes last season and still has knee pain."

But to my question, if they do buy him out when do you think they'll do it? Or do you think they still believe a trade is out there?

Last edited:

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Bitches is still trying to hope the KNICKS hold on to Marbury? For what...other than draft picks at this point? We all knew coming into this season KNICKS were not going to be a playoff contending team. That was a given. However, I like what they are doing as far as the guard situation in this regard...

Have a few combo guards, a few classic points. Evaluate them against the course of an 82 game season. And see what you truly got in them as players and talent. At worst they are gone by 2010...but you will have dumped a massive locker room headache..and you will have seen the true potential of every single one of them at that position.

It helps determine what we are going to need via free agency or the draft, when it comes to that.

Right now this is an experiment. Now if only we could find someway to move Crawford and Curry we'd be 80% complete as far as outright rebuilding process nearing completion, then would be free to pursue actual star players.

Toons

is the Bo$$
why curry and crawford??? we need to move jerome james, jarred jefferies, malik malik rose randolph morris (he is too soft and passive) and mardy collins has yet to impress me....we already kno what he does in summer league....but he is a 3rd year player, that has show what he can do against nba competition....he had a whole year to prove himself wen marbury went down....

Starks

Starter
I don't know anything about this kid, but all of a sudden we have too many guards.

I think theres three players close to the edge: Collins, James, and Steph.

James will be cut before anyone, mark my words

i have a feeling that the worst move in knicks history is brewing. steph is getting bought out. there really is not question about it anymore. all these lame ass point guards too. thats another reason why this cant happen.

Who the hell is gonna be our starting point guard??? nate i guess. man this whole organization is f*cked up.