Lack of D

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Good article.

We have two of the best scorers in the NBA. We don't have to be finding ways for them to score more points - they can make it happen.

I don't know if it's a defensive assistant, a defensive coach, or just defensive roleplayers, but the team has to do a better job of finding players who can get those stops. The Celtics built an offensive juggernaut with their big 3, but they also had players who were good on defense (and nothing else!).

Every championship team has those players who are elite defenders but aren't much on offense. Ben Wallace, Kendrick Perkins, Trevor Ariza, etc...

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Good article.

We have two of the best scorers in the NBA. We don't have to be finding ways for them to score more points - they can make it happen.

I don't know if it's a defensive assistant, a defensive coach, or just defensive roleplayers, but the team has to do a better job of finding players who can get those stops. The Celtics built an offensive juggernaut with their big 3, but they also had players who were good on defense (and nothing else!).

Every championship team has those players who are elite defenders but aren't much on offense. Ben Wallace, Kendrick Perkins, Trevor Ariza, etc...

You know, I think I would be fine with MDA if he at least took steps to get a defensive coach that wasn't his brother... someone that really helped our guys play team D.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
I think its more about the coaching than the player, by all mean, player do count BUT we need a coach that will enforce it. IMO

STAT1

Starter
Proper coaching can make a bad defensive player play better defense. Case in point, Mike Miller steps in & takes a charge in the lane in the 1st half of this game to prevent an easy layup from Melo & draw an offensive foul. No one expects MDA to miraculously transform our team into an elite defensive unit, but it's not often we see role players start making plays like on this team. I don't think that's too much to ask. Hopefully Jeffries can bring that back to this team, he did a good job of drawing charges in the lane last time he was a Knick.

Mike2686

Rookie
Defense has been pretty solid tonight. Gotta hold Miami here! 12.7 to go Knicks by 1, heat ball. Come on KNICKS!

Mike2686

Rookie
Now that was great D. Carmelo didn't give the lane. Amare block. Shawne Great defensive rebound and convertion the FT''s.

Mike2686

Rookie
That game was chemistry. Hopefully it won't take to long to gel. Team has enough talent now to threat for NBA Title if not win it all. They keep up the defensive intensity I don't see a team keeping up with them.

STAT1

Starter
Hats off, you want what is best for the team, not to be right.

I respect that.

Yeah man, I just wanna see this team win. Could give 2 craps whether I'm wrong or right I just state my opinions based on what I'm seeing out there. Tonight you gotta give MDA credit for how he got these guys to play D. I still have huge doubts about whether this system will ever win a championship for us but when you beat the team no one thought we could beat then you can't complain.
:beer:

That said, I'm still highly pissed about that last inbounds play with 13 seconds left in the game & only up by 1. ;)

Last edited:

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
they say Defense is aBOUT effort and hustle and these guys proved that tonight.. lets hope they bring it like this every night

MusketeerX

Rotation player
What a win. I felt like it was the mid-90's (at least after the first quarter). We need another big, but the defense tonight great. I know they had a two hour practice on Saturday about defense and it obviously paid off. I will change my opinion on MDA instantly if he can make them play D like that on a consistent basis.

Imagine what happens when our shots start falling too.

I think most of the credit goes to Billups tonight. He slowed down the pace when he needed and hit some INCREDIBLE plays. Ridiculous lay-up, three pointer four feet behind the arc, and a steal (maybe two-- can't remember).

Great D by Melo at the end, and great help by Amar'e.

Just a good time. I felt like it was the good old days. Winning a game, by scoring only 91 points? Really? Wow. Love it!

Competitive fun! I am so excited.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah D'Antoni seems to make me eat my words a lot.

This was a HUGE win. A brand-new team (basically) beating on the Miami Big 3.

That's huge. Defense was the name of the game.

iSaYughh

Starter
^ Post-game D'ant said it was precisely the type of game, and way of playing/effort that you need to win.

We still went small...even ultra small...Granted, MIA has a weak froncourt...but Bosh is Bosh, and LBJ has the strength/size to pretty much be a front court player in his own right.

Our rotations were crisp. And walker was a huge boon. Shawn Williams, as well -- stepping in as not just a front court player...But able 5...Crazy.

But above all...Melo...and STAT...upped their defensive ante, and were gamers on both sides.

Let's ride a defensive heatwave..keep pressure opponents, but above all our individual players to not look and feel like chumps for slacking on their D.