LaMarcus gets extension....5yrs, 70 MIL?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v...96;5736-120/700;0/0/0;;~aopt=2/0/ff/0;~sscs=?
After what turned out to be a curiously long contract negotiating period, the Portland Trail Blazers have agreed to terms on a contract extension with power forward LaMarcus Aldridge. According to Chad Ford of ESPN.com, the deal is for five years and $65-million, with the potential to get as high as $70-million with incentives.
The Blazers also reach an extension agreement with Brandon Roy earlier this summer, worth $80-million over the same five year period. Aldridge had reportedly sought a similar deal.
In the summer of 2008, Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard told HOOPSWORLD that Blazers' owner Paul Allen "doesn't lose his free agents," implying that the Blazers would keep their drafted players Aldridge and Roy because the organization simply valued their talent too much to lose them for financial reasons.
Aldridge becomes only the third player drafted in 2006 to have reached a contract extension with their team. Roy and Andrea Bargnani of the Toronto Raptors are the others. Extensions can be signed by October 31st, but if deals aren't done, the first rounders drafted in 2006 will become restricted free agents next summer.
Between Aldridge and Roy, the Blazers have strong inside-outside core to build for the future. The team is slowly acquiring talent around their two players, including drafting Jerryd Bayless and Greg Oden and signing Andre Miller as a free agent.

70 Mil for a 2nd fiddle? :wtf:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
14 mil a year aint bad for a "second fiddle" like aldridge. Remember that eddy curry got close to that, and he's a piece of shit. So lamarcus definitely deserves this type of money, specially with his skill level.

SilentJay

Rookie
I think they went a bit overboard money wise, but he's a great player with a ton of potential. There's no doubt that Portland have constructed a more than solid team which will go a long way this season. How high they get is really up to them, I think, they have a great group of players.
When you got a guy like Fernandez on the bench is because you know how to get players and to construct a team in the long run. They've made great progress in a long term building project, and its turned beautifully. They've had great vision in the players they've acquired. So, like I said, IMO it's really up to experience (or lack thereof) as a team of how high they get this year in the playoffs.
When you see a team like that and what its taken them to get to that point you wish you had people with that vision on your team. I'm not dissin' on DW or Mike D, I respect them quite a lot for what they're trying to accomplish. They might not say it, but I think it's something quite similar to what Portland has done, except DW is trying to create via of FA mostly (I can see him even keeping flexibility through 2011).

KBlack25

Starter
Eek...you can say Eddy Curry got that kind of deal, but we as Knicks fans should know how totally awful that deal is...

In the NBA today, you need to have the ABILITY to move guys, we as Knicks fans know that as much as anyone. With this deal the Blazers are basically saying they will not and CAN NOT move Aldridge for 4 yrs. With a guy you are signing based basically on his potential, that is not a wise move, even if it may pay off.