LeBron To Make Decision Thursday

Jul 06, 2010 9:53 PM EST
James_LeBron_cle.jpg
LeBron James will announce his free agency decision on ESPN at 9:00 PM EST on Thursday, according to Chris Broussard.
RealGM Note: James had meetings with the Nets, Knicks, Clippers, Heat, Cavaliers and Bulls last week.
James was reportedly attempting to recruit Chris Bosh to Cleveland this week, but his fellow free agent prefers to end up in Chicago, New Jersey or Miami.
Dwyane Wade is the other big free agent who has yet to announce his intentions.
James starred in a television commercial several months ago alluding to a 2010 press conference, where he announced he was going to play for the Cleveland Browns.
With multiple other high profile stars also in free agency, one of the more suspenseful aspects of the build-up to his Thursday announcement will be whether or not it will leak beforehand.
James joined Twitter on Tuesday and there has also been activity on his official web site, leading some to speculate that his decision would first be released via his own social media.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...ision_thursday_evening_on_espn/#ixzz0sxQkmnH0

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Yeah, just heard the same thing on ESPNEWS. I doubt there will be any news leak. I guess it is safe to say that LBJ knows which team he will join now.

It's really three teams

Cleveland
Chicago
NYK

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I'm sure there will be leaks beforehand from sources that talk to sources close to Lebron, e.t.c... I think if he is gonna do a press conference that he is staying with Cleveland. Would He really be able to look into the camera with a straight face and say goodbye to Cleveland fans? I don't think he can. I had held hope for so long that he would be a Knick, but I think he might follow his heart and emotions and tell him to stay in Cleveland. Hope I'm wrong but Idk... As a Knicks fan though u can't kill him for staying in Cleveland.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Yeah, just heard the same thing on ESPNEWS. I doubt there will be any news leak. I guess it is safe to say that LBJ knows which team he will join now.

It's really three teams

Cleveland
Chicago
NYK

Why in your opinion is NJ out of the race?

flknickfan

Benchwarmer
This is the biggest disgrace of a spectacle I have ever seen from an athlete who has never won a damn thing.

yeah I will be happy if he comes here but i actually would feel funny.

BTW he is going directly back to cleveland; there is no reason to do this on national TV if your not.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Maverick Carter is in town Wednesday and LeBron makes his decision Thursday? Jesus..... It's looking likely... Wonder what the Cavs will pull in the mean time.

Anyone see this?

In the video, look at the sheepish face on Broussard when he says "the Knicks are very much alive. Give them credit".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255

After basically ridiculing NY the last month, he's got his tail between his legs ,and must be wondering how he'll be effected if LBJ does sign here.

This is the biggest disgrace of a spectacle I have ever seen from an athlete who has never won a damn thing.

BTW he is going directly back to cleveland; there is no reason to do this on national TV if your not.
I agree...

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I would be absolutely shocked if he chooses NJ and feel like he just spit in the NYK fan's faces. Then again I'm sure the Cavs will feel the same if he leaves. After all this talk, discussion and craziness going on in the free agency it all comes down to the 3 teams I thought it would come to at the start.

The Bulls offer the best Roster to win a Championship Now, but the Knicks offer the best promise for a bright future. The Cavs offer Lebron all the loyal Cleveland fans and 30 mil extra dollers =D

bfab99

Benchwarmer
He's signing with the Knicks! He's gone. That's why it's a 1 hour special. He's gonna explain on live TV why he's leaving. Talk about the Cleveland fans, their support, Akron being his hometown etc. This is so the Cleveland fans will be less mad at him when he goes to the Knicks.

Blumatic

Rotation player

So the fact that Lebron knows his star power, the fact that everyone including you will be watching, the fact that he is gathering sponsors and to give 100% of the proceeds to a boys & girls club is a disgrace.

Cool Beans.

mafra

Legend
Folks, I think Maverick Carter and LJ's advisors (inner circle) made the rest of the world look foolish. They played this free agency brilliantly. I'm in awe with his people and how they've pulled this off.

I'm starting to feel like he was coming to NY all along. I suspected as much when he hesitated last Summer, when Artest looked for the slightest assurance that he would remain in CLE. Lebron did not, and thus Artest wouldnt sign with the Cavs.

I think they planned all along to have SIX (notice the number.... LJ's new jersey number in NY) come to CLE. Unlike Bosh-Wade, who have a film crew following them and have made this a twittering spectacle of themselves, LJ was all biz. 2 meetings a day for a few hours. Did this for 3 days. Celebrated the 4th. Ran his camp. Announces his decision.

WHAT PRECISION. This was orchestrated and planned all along. CONGRATS TO THEM.

Now for the truly remarkable feat: They actually made going to NY the long shot (went from following the money to the big city, to opting for the underdog with little chance to win).

How did they do this?

They leak info/intel here and there, get people in a tizzy.... He's going to CHI to play with Rose, follow MJ; He'll go join JZ in NJ; then, my favorite part, he's forming a dream team in MIA.

The entire time the beat is drummed home: NY has no chance.

NOw here comes the crescendo. HOw do you get NBA fans to accept your move? Especially in CLE?

1- You've played up this dream team of a HOF triumvirate (Wade, Bosh, LJ), that now the NBA landscape can take a gigantic collective sigh- PHEW! Oh, he's only going to NY.

Mission Accomplished.

2- HOw to make this easiest.... escaping CLE? This was hard, but why not displace the blame and direct it to Chris Bosh. He's the reason. HEY, I wanted to stay in CLE and have Bosh join me, it was possible, but BOSH REJECTED CLE.... not me.

BRILL-freakin-ANT !!!

After that, there was really no choice. He tried for 7 years, but Ferry so screwed the roster/cap situation that he has little to no chance to win if he stays in CLE (especially if BOSH- the enemy- and Wade head to CHI).

NY, even if it happens to be a big city, was the only shot left. Like Switzerland. NOw he rides in a hero, makes the fewest enemies possible for his situation, and now the Akron boy can play in NYC babY!

No pressure. NO expectations. And when he wins it'll be epic!

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Why in your opinion is NJ out of the race?

I never thought the Nets had much of a chance, especially after Lottery night.

1. The Newark factor. I think the fact that NJ will be in Newark for at least 2 years really hurts the Nets chances. Newark has been cleaned up, but it's Newark, and it's STILL a crime-ridden area. it's like playing for a professional basketball team that is situated in Compton. And the fact that they Nets were trying to sell LBJ on New York is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYQl_YehjgE&feature=related

2. They lost out on the top two picks, which means no Wall or Turner. Favors is not nearly as attractive of a rookie prospect. This definitely hurt their chances.

3. Fan Base - they were 2nd last in tickets sold even when the Nets were Eastern champions. It's hilarious that I get calls on a regular basis from the Nets box office giving me $2 tickets for the 5th row. How pathetic! Sure, LBJ will have fan base, but they won't be Nets fans.

4. I also think the GM situation is another detriment. Who is the GM? Is Thorn moving out? If so, who is president of operations? What is their philosophy? What if the new GM clashes with the owners?

5. LBJ is a business man. Why would he move to a super small market team, especially after the Nets won 12 games? Sure, they have some nice young talent, and I think Lopez is a hell of a player, but I just don't think that compensates for the cons I just highlighted.

I think the Nets have more bad than good. I just never saw LBJ joining the NETS. I mean, the NETS! NETS! LOL!

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I don't want to get my hopes up to much or else I will be crushed Thursday. Hope you are right though. There is one thing I can guarantee though. There will be 5 cities that will be dissapointed!

Suss

Rookie
I don't see why people are so offended by this press conference. Lebron has done an excellent job of keeping the media in the dark. ESPN has been absolutely clueless claiming the Knicks had no choice. This is in contrast to Wade and Bosh who have made a spectacle out of the whole thing. Its only fitting that Lebron will make the announcement himself, and not let some idiot like Chris Broussard break the story. He has also made it clear that the proceeds are going to charity.

Cleavland insider Brian Windhordst sounds like he is whiniging with his latest tweet:

PDcavsinsider
Suddenly it is clear to me. LeBron has changed. A new website. Starting Twitter. This announcement. This isn't the guy I know.

The "he is staying in Clevland" crowd is starting to change their tune.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Wouldn't it seem rather anti-climactic for him to announce he's staying in Cleveland? Why wait? Why have a huge press conference if he's staying?

I think he's leaving. Who knows where though.

This whole thing does seem rather ridiculous, doesn't it? He's a basketball player. Sadly, the ratings will probably be higher than the President's State of The Union Address. Priorities.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Folks, I think Maverick Carter and LJ's advisors (inner circle) made the rest of the world look foolish. They played this free agency brilliantly. I'm in awe with his people and how they've pulled this off.

I'm starting to feel like he was coming to NY all along. I suspected as much when he hesitated last Summer, when Artest looked for the slightest assurance that he would remain in CLE. Lebron did not, and thus Artest wouldnt sign with the Cavs.

I think they planned all along to have SIX (notice the number.... LJ's new jersey number in NY) come to CLE. Unlike Bosh-Wade, who have a film crew following them and have made this a twittering spectacle of themselves, LJ was all biz. 2 meetings a day for a few hours. Did this for 3 days. Celebrated the 4th. Ran his camp. Announces his decision.

Now for the truly remarkable feat: They actually made going to NY the long shot (went from following the money to the big city, to opting for the underdog with little chance to win).

How did they do this?

They leak info/intel here and there, get people in a tizzy.... He's going to CHI to play with Rose, follow MJ; He'll go join JZ in NJ; then, my favorite part, he's forming a dream team in MIA.

NOw here comes the crescendo. HOw do you get NBA fans to accept your move? Especially in CLE?

1- You've played up this dream team of a HOF triumvirate (Wade, Bosh, LJ), that now the NBA landscape can take a gigantic collective sigh- PHEW! Oh, he's only going to NY.

Mission Accomplished.

2- HOw to make this easiest.... escaping CLE? This was hard, but why not displace the blame and direct it to Chris Bosh. He's the reason. HEY, I wanted to stay in CLE and have Bosh join me, it was possible, but BOSH REJECTED CLE.... not me.

BRILL-freakin-ANT !!!

After that, there was really no choice. He tried for 7 years, but Ferry so screwed the roster/cap situation that he has little to no chance to win if he stays in CLE (especially if BOSH- the enemy- and Wade head to CHI).

NY, even if it happens to be a big city, was the only shot left. Like Switzerland. NOw he rides in a hero, makes the fewest enemies possible for his situation, and now the Akron boy can play in NYC babY!

HAHA. I didn't know where you were going. Well said!

StreetDreams21

I got Soul

How did they do this?

Mission Accomplished.

BRILL-freakin-ANT !!!

This will be the best post in Knicks Online history if you are right my friend

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
This entire thing has gotten way out of control, good grief. I agree with most of u guys in the fact that I don't see him going through all this nonsense if he was staying in the Cavs.