The Knicks Process: Where do we go from here?

You get to sign two 2-way contracts per season. Kris Wilkes is now one of them. One of these recent articles said that Kadeem Allen is our other 2-way contract for this coming season. That?s good, if that is true, because Allen has pretty good upside in my mind.

We have MRob coming off a historically great rookie season as a center. DSJ hoping to prove he can be a starting PG. RJ as our rim attacking focal point and Knox coming off a season where he attempted about 350 3-pointers at around 34% shooting, clearly working in the direction of being a stretch forward.

I?ve read reports that Knicks are going to pursue Bobby Portis. We also should consider bringing Vonleh and/or Kornet back. As mafra mentioned, Julius Randle could be a higher upside/higher cost option.

I think if we get that starting PF and put them in a lineup with MRob, Knox, RJ, and DSJ, that could be enough to keep me content for this season.

As an aside, MRob, Knox, and Trier all plan on playing a couple Summer League games. A lot less young player ego in our post-KP era.

mafra

Legend
The NBA announced the full schedule for the 2019 Las Vegas NBA Summer League. Interestingly enough, New York plays its first game against the New Orleans Pelicans and No. 1 overall selection Zion Williamson. Barrett and Williamson spent last season teammates, and roommates, at Duke and developed a solid friendship. Now they?ll share the floor together in each other?s pro debut. The game will take place on Friday, July 5 at 9:30 p.m. EST and will be televised nationally on ESPN.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like WCS wants to move on from SAC... another option to pair with Mitch?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27034700/willie-move-on?platform=amp

We have MRob coming off a historically great rookie season as a center. DSJ hoping to prove he can be a starting PG. RJ as our rim attacking focal point and Knox coming off a season where he attempted about 350 3-pointers at around 34% shooting, clearly working in the direction of being a stretch forward.

I’ve read reports that Knicks are going to pursue Bobby Portis. We also should consider bringing Vonleh and/or Kornet back. As mafra mentioned, Julius Randle could be a higher upside/higher cost option.

I think if we get that starting PF and put them in a lineup with MRob, Knox, RJ, and DSJ, that could be enough to keep me content for this season.

As an aside, MRob, Knox, and Trier all plan on playing a couple Summer League games. A lot less young player ego in our post-KP era.
I guess we need to sign players just to reach the minimum NBA payroll this season but to go from KD, KL and even KI to Portis and WCS is a real bring down. Signing guys to 1 year deals is not a formula for long term success but if we come out of the season with the rest of the league envious of the Knicks having the best young core in the NBA it’ll be a real positive. Right now we’re not in the discussion with the Hawks, Nugs, Celts or even the Bulls.

I guess we need to sign players just to reach the minimum NBA payroll this season but to go from KD, KL and even KI to Portis and WCS is a real bring down. Signing guys to 1 year deals is not a formula for long term success but if we come out of the season with the rest of the league envious of the Knicks having the best young core in the NBA it’ll be a real positive. Right now we’re not in the discussion with the Hawks, Nugs, Celts or even the Bulls.

I keep thinking about what could have been, but the Durant Achilles injury means there?s literally no chance we are a contender next season, regardless of who we sign.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I keep thinking about what could have been, but the Durant Achilles injury means there?s literally no chance we are a contender next season, regardless of who we sign.

Yup another year of waiting...?The Process? just got a whole lot longer. Maybe it?s a good thing. Build a real team for long term success instead of taking shortcuts. I?m intrigued if we could grab WCS. He would be a nice consolation prize to AD. Otherwise, protect our $$$$ and picks until quality free agents want to come and join our young core. I turn 50 next May. Maybe the Knicks will turn the corner and my Chiefs can finally win a Super Bowl. It?s been since 1970 for both franchises. At least my STL Blues brought the Cup home. Gives me hope for the rest of my squads.

tiger0330

Legend
Yup another year of waiting...”The Process” just got a whole lot longer. Maybe it’s a good thing. Build a real team for long term success instead of taking shortcuts. I’m intrigued if we could grab WCS. He would be a nice consolation prize to AD. Otherwise, protect our $$$$ and picks until quality free agents want to come and join our young core. I turn 50 next May. Maybe the Knicks will turn the corner and my Chiefs can finally win a Super Bowl. It’s been since 1970 for both franchises. At least my STL Blues brought the Cup home. Gives me hope for the rest of my squads.

Reading Mafra's post, Knicks probably aren't interested in WCS, he only mentioned him because his agent wants to force him off the team. Jalen still thinks KD is coming to NY, as many misgivings as I have about KD, if he comes it would at least show the Knicks are a destination for elite players.

RJ is a real breath of fresh air, most rooks are going to be politically correct and tell you they would love to be a Knick but this kid is for real in his excitement for being a Knick unlike the Latvian prima donna we had here once.

mafra

Legend
Kawhi averaged 7 points his rookie year...
Nash turned into an elite PG in his late 20s...

I think we just take our lumps, rise out the current power structure, and build for 2022...

3 year plan...

Knits, DSJ, Dotson, Knox, MRob, Trier, RJ, Iggy...

Grow and develop... then, if and when they make step from inexperienced to competing (playoff team) you flip assets for an all star.

GSW draft Curry, Thompson, Green. Trade for AI... boom.

We don?t need all the kids to become stars... Just 2 of that bunch, and if 2 become legit starts, their play raises play of others and the rest become quality rotation guys.

Meanwhile, continue to draft... and when ready... pounce on a free agent (maybe Towns, GA, or whomever).

MRob and RJ give us this hope...

Sure, KD is nice bc it shows guys will come, he can microwave this development (get them playoff experience) and perhaps attract another piece.

Would be really nice if KP wasn?t a head case and was returning healthy... but, what can we do? We move on and hope the nucleus is already in place.

mafra

Legend
Big weekend for us NYK fans...

On ESPN Friday night... first SL game... and 3 rookies from this draft and last draft should all share court together... would be nice to ?see it? right? See something special

Then free agency begins...

Here we go.

Knicks likely to waive Lance Thomas by June 30th to avoid having to pay the 7+ million left on his contract this coming season. Knicks are likely to resign him to a smaller deal. Imagine our big free agent signing in 2019 is Lance Thomas?

tiger0330

Legend
These are some of the guys the Knicks have interest in. Perry seems interested in guys he’s had a track record with.

[FONT=&quot]The team is also interested in two players from Perry’s days as assistant general manager for the Orlando Magic: Philadelphia 76ers free agent forward Tobias Harris and Orlando Magic free agent center Nikola Vucevic.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other free agents on the Knicks’ radar include their own free agent center DeAndre Jordan, Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins and twins Markieff and Marcus Morris. New Orleans Pelicans forward Julius Randle and the Knicks also have mutual interest, according to sources.[/FONT]

These are some of the guys the Knicks have interest in. Perry seems interested in guys he?s had a track record with.

[FONT=&quot]The team is also interested in two players from Perry?s days as assistant general manager for the Orlando Magic: Philadelphia 76ers free agent forward Tobias Harris and Orlando Magic free agent center Nikola Vucevic.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other free agents on the Knicks? radar include their own free agent center DeAndre Jordan, Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins and twins Markieff and Marcus Morris. New Orleans Pelicans forward Julius Randle and the Knicks also have mutual interest, according to sources.[/FONT]

Those are all good targets, but not sure how it fits with Perry saying he didn?t want to give big contracts to 2nd tier free agents. I like the idea of bringing in Randle, because, as mafra has previously posted, his age and position fit our needs and timeline.

mafra

Legend
I think Knicks don?t want to give MAX contracts to guys other than their top 3 target...

But, what does that mean?

Instead of 2 max guys... could they get Harris, Randle, DJ and DLo at 2 for 1 type of deals? In other words, no max but contracts like Timmy Jr received?

All are young enough, no?

mafra

Legend
The Knicks may have lost out on the Zion Williamson sweepstakes, but the man they drafted instead believes he could one day lure him to New York.

Knicks' first-round draft pick RJ Barrett, who was Williamson's teammate at Duke, said on The Michael Kay Show Monday that he hopes to one day play together with Williamson.

"Hopefully, one day we'll be on the same team," Barrett said. "That's my brother, I'll try and recruit him over."

Let?s see if the players put their livelihood and money where their mouths are... word is Knicks feel their mostly black front office will put them at an advantage...

I say if they whiff next week.... time for Mills to leave.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/knicks-feel-their-black-front-office-helps-in-free-agency/

Honestly, I get what Mills is saying, but I?d rather this not be why we sign players. Players should sign with us because they believe in the direction of this franchise.

tiger0330

Legend
Let’s see if the players put their livelihood and money where their mouths are... word is Knicks feel their mostly black front office will put them at an advantage...

I say if they whiff next week.... time for Mills to leave.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/knicks-feel-their-black-front-office-helps-in-free-agency/

Honestly, I get what Mills is saying, but I’d rather this not be why we sign players. Players should sign with us because they believe in the direction of this franchise.

Whatever it takes, if a largely African American front office attracts players here then the Knicks should have no problems attracting talent this off season. We have the money to spend, African American front office, one of the best arena's and cities in the NBA to play in. If we strike out in FA or if KD and KI wind up with the Nets we should fire Mills and Perry on the spot.

Whatever it takes, if a largely African American front office attracts players here then the Knicks should have no problems attracting talent this off season. We have the money to spend, African American front office, one of the best arena's and cities in the NBA to play in. If we strike out in FA or if KD and KI wind up with the Nets we should fire Mills and Perry on the spot.

We got a lot of things, but if you believe the critics, there is one thing that never changes and he?s probably playing this weekend at a half empty bar near you.