Restriction Lifted. Should Amare Get More Minutes?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
According to ESPN the minute restriction has been lifted and now Amare wants more minutes. Before you bombard the tread with Amare is finished posts consider this.

In every game that Amare has scored 17 points or more he has done so playing no less than 22 mins per game. If he's to be most effective Amare needs no less than 25 to 27 mins. Against Toronto he scored 23 points and 9 rebounds in 30 mins. The question isn't can Amare still be effective, its can he be effective, complement Melo's game and win. Interestingly in most games this season where he's scored 20 or more points the Knicks lost.

It's clear that his all-star years a behind him and he is all but untradable, but that doesn't mean that Amare can't contribute in some measurable way. Since the Knicks are inconsistent and have no second scoring option should they give Amare more playing time?

tiger0330

Legend
Why not Woody's strategy for Stat was "saving him for the playoffs" before the season began. It should now be "playing him to make the playoffs". Woody is incredibly stubborn just look how he sticks with Felton so it might not happen but Woody's an idiot if he doesn't do something radical to turn around this season.

skisloper

Starter
Why not Woody's strategy for Stat was "saving him for the playoffs" before the season began. It should now be "playing him to make the playoffs". Woody is incredibly stubborn just look how he sticks with Felton so it might not happen but Woody's an idiot if he doesn't do something radical to turn around this season.

Woody was not saving Amare for the playoffs........Woody has his guys and thats his plan...and u are correct his plan goes beyond any sense of reality.........as it did last year with Copelands benching against the Pacers in the playoffs....

Just like Woody said yesterday ...." he needs to find a way to get Felton going "...I mean 34 plus minutes ...maybe Woody should say 18 is enough.......WOODY's theory is if a guy keeps shooting even if he missed 10 in a row he is bound to make the next one.....No matter how many minutes a guy plays if its one of his guys then eventually he will play better.....MORON is what Woody is

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Stat still got the juice offensively, not many people can guard him he's a beast.
25-30 Minutes a game off the bench with Felton with that pick and roll could do damage.

Free STAT!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Stat still got the juice offensively, not many people can guard him he's a beast.
25-30 Minutes a game off the bench with Felton with that pick and roll could do damage.

Free STAT!!

The only way to Free Stat .... give Stat 9 to 12 minute runs in a lineup without Melo or JR.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Woody was not saving Amare for the playoffs........Woody has his guys and thats his plan...and u are correct his plan goes beyond any sense of reality.........as it did last year with Copelands benching against the Pacers in the playoffs....

Just like Woody said yesterday ...." he needs to find a way to get Felton going "...I mean 34 plus minutes ...maybe Woody should say 18 is enough.......WOODY's theory is if a guy keeps shooting even if he missed 10 in a row he is bound to make the next one.....No matter how many minutes a guy plays if its one of his guys then eventually he will play better.....MORON is what Woody is

How many games did it take to figure out Woodson (without Jason Kidd) is a losing season?
A) 3-13 ?
B) 5-15 ?
C) 10-22 ?

I will admit last season (2012-13) when we sign a rock-bottom FA Felton .. I did look toward Jason Kidd to tutor Felton how to build a winning tandem by feeding Amare the ball 10 feet to 15 feet from the basket for consecutive 25 point games. BUTT .. last season Woodson did not put Amare & Felton on the court at the same time throughout the season.

Last night game vs Portland, I watch Aldridge & Lopez have big problems keeping Amare & rookie Tyler out of the paint on offense/defense with Prigioni feeding both bigmen downlow on offense, and on defense Prig forced Portland offense toward 6.10 Tyler to get the block or intimidate the shooter.
When Amare is allowed to score he plays defense well.

Last night with 20 minutes of playingtime Amare performance was headed for a double-double which Woodson stopped by sitting Amare for the rest of the game. Woodson's stupidity and bias vs Amare and several other teammates is WHY we LOSS to the #1 lottery pick Bucks. Woodson antics plays a strong role in our Divided Lockerroom of players...

How many games did it take to figure out Woodson (without Jason Kidd) is a losing season?
A) 3-13 ?
B) 5-15 ?
C) 10-22 ?

I will admit last season (2012-13) when we sign a rock-bottom FA Felton .. I did look toward Jason Kidd to tutor Felton how to build a winning tandem by feeding Amare the ball 10 feet to 15 feet from the basket for consecutive 25 point games. BUTT .. last season Woodson did not put Amare & Felton on the court at the same time throughout the season.

Last night game vs Portland, I watch Aldridge & Lopez have big problems keeping Amare & rookie Tyler out of the paint on offense/defense with Prigioni feeding both bigmen downlow on offense, and on defense Prig forced Portland offense toward 6.10 Tyler to get the block or intimidate the shooter.
When Amare is allowed to score he plays defense well.

Last night with 20 minutes of playingtime Amare performance was headed for a double-double which Woodson stopped by sitting Amare for the rest of the game. Woodson's stupidity and bias vs Amare and several other teammates is WHY we LOSS to the #1 lottery pick Bucks. Woodson antics plays a strong role in our Divided Lockerroom of players...

Simple facts.:thumbsup:

donchris

Everyone gets frustrated with the losses and its common for Knicks fans to call for someone's job. I've had some questions with some of Woodson's coaching decisions in the past but let's remember when D'Antoni was here half of this site was on Woodson's nuts and begged for him to take over.

Before calling for anyone's head or to be fired or traded ask yourself this questions, is this current squad of Knicks players better without (Woodson or Melo or whoever). I think the answer is an obvious NO and we'd be looking at a rebuilding situation.

We've got to give our young players time to develop but by all means keep JR coming off the bench. If we're going to start Shumpert it should be to showcase him for a potential trade. Other wise he should be a back up small forward.

It may only matter symbolically who starts and who doesn't but with the right point guard or a healthy and stable Felton, I'd like to see Chandler, Melo and Stats get more playing time together. I think this is the only way they can develop on court chemistry and we can salvage the season.

skisloper

Starter
Everyone gets frustrated with the losses and its common for Knicks fans to call for someone's job. I've had some questions with some of Woodson's coaching decisions in the past but let's remember when D'Antoni was here half of this site was on Woodson's nuts and begged for him to take over.

Before calling for anyone's head or to be fired or traded ask yourself this questions, is this current squad of Knicks players better without (Woodson or Melo or whoever). I think the answer is an obvious NO and we'd be looking at a rebuilding situation.

We've got to give our young players time to develop but by all means keep JR coming off the bench. If we're going to start Shumpert it should be to showcase him for a potential trade. Other wise he should be a back up small forward.

It may only matter symbolically who starts and who doesn't but with the right point guard or a healthy and stable Felton, I'd like to see Chandler, Melo and Stats get more playing time together. I think this is the only way they can develop on court chemistry and we can salvage the season.

Felton does not equal Healthy or Stable........Now u sound like Woodson......Felton has his moments and they should be just that. He is all or nothing and that is clear every night. I have no issue with him starting ONLY is Pablo is starting with him. Feltons minutes should be based on his play . Prigion should be orchestrated this team both on the offensive and defensive end......When you watch him on the court he is the only play instructing. He knows where to exploit, he knows when to get melo the ball.......This should all be a no brainer to WOODY........

watching Felton and JR not fight through picks is embarassing.

Kiyaman

Legend

At the beginning of last season (2012-13) I predicted the Knicks will win the Atlantic Division Title, having no negative doubt about my prediction.
After the 18-5 start with Felton averaging 18 pts, and 7 ast per game in the 18-5 start alongside starters SG-Ronnie Brewer & PG-Jason Kidd in the starting-lineup. All was good until .. Woodson started bringing JRsmith off the bench 3 minutes after tip-off. When Woodson did this 10 games in a row, I started promoting Woodson to be FIRED, while bashing ISO-Melo & ISO JR Ball-Hoggers 48 minutes of the game.
What player want to start the game to be pulled out after 3 minutes into the game .. Im sure Brewer complain, bc Kidd took himself out of the starting lineup, after the 18-5 start.

The Knicks 2013-14 $91M cap roster would be playing above .600 record without clueless-Woodson, ISO-Melo, and poor decision-making JRsmith, in Knicks practice, and in Knicks games calling all the shots.
For NBA fans to believe the Knicks roster have no other option to score other than Melo/JR are plain foolish thinking when these same fans believe that same foolishness when Melo/JR departed from the Denver Nuggets.
So far the Denver Nuggets are going on their 4th season with a better winning record than the Melo-Knicks.

Shump's in his 3rd season in the NBA, and we shouldve been tutoring Shump to be our big-combo-guard off the bench to win the 6th Man award before his 4th season.
There's not one decent winning NBA HC that has the patience to put up with JRsmith antics in a 82 game season, plus give JR above 20 minutes of playing-time per game .. JR decision-making is poor, and JR gellin with PG and bigmen are poorer.
It's a known fact that young players develop well into winning team-players when they are influence around veteran teammates that perform on the same-page.

It may be to late for chemistry from Tyson/Stat/Melo .. none of the 3 players compliment any of their talents on offense/defense.
Woodson have to go with Felton, bc every veteran PG in the past 3 seasons gave-up on Woodson foolishness of being a PUPPET headcoach to ISO-Melo & JR.
We have 13 players that are force to compliment Melo & JR style of performance to receive playingtime.
GO Knicks !!!!!!!
:thumbsup::gony: :thumbsup:

CoolClyde

STAT should START! the man needs as many minutes as possible on the court in order to showcase his abilities, so he can be TRADED asap! for the money he's making, he SHOULD be starting and playing with Melo as the Big 2 they are supposed to be. As that has not happened and never will happen, it's ridiculous for him to be a 20 minute/$20 million player. if he thinks he's healthy enough to play without restriction, then set the f*cker loose! he's been dominating in the short times he's been on the court recently, lets see what he can really do as one of the highest paid players in the league. his contract should make him attractive at this point to teams wanting to rebuild, Knicks need to win NOW, and need a complimentary player for Melo NOW, so he won't leave during free agency. SET STAT FREE!

donchris

STAT should START! the man needs as many minutes as possible on the court in order to showcase his abilities, so he can be TRADED asap! for the money he's making, he SHOULD be starting and playing with Melo as the Big 2 they are supposed to be. As that has not happened and never will happen, it's ridiculous for him to be a 20 minute/$20 million player. if he thinks he's healthy enough to play without restriction, then set the f*cker loose! he's been dominating in the short times he's been on the court recently, lets see what he can really do as one of the highest paid players in the league. his contract should make him attractive at this point to teams wanting to rebuild, Knicks need to win NOW, and need a complimentary player for Melo NOW, so he won't leave during free agency. SET STAT FREE!

I partially agree with you, but there's one issue. The only appeal Stats has now in respect to trade value will be his expiring contract in 2015. Usually when you trade expiring contacts you do so for some sort of talent with extended contacts, and I don't think that's in the Knicks best interest. If they can get Rondo or some other stellar player for him then pull the trigger. But if not Stats looks a hell of a lot better making 3 or 4 million per year than he does 20 mill and I think that's what he'll realistically be looking at if he's resigned. If Stats was making 4 mill per year we'd be having a totally different conversation.

donchris

At the beginning of last season (2012-13) I predicted the Knicks will win the Atlantic Division Title, having no negative doubt about my prediction.
After the 18-5 start with Felton averaging 18 pts, and 7 ast per game in the 18-5 start alongside starters SG-Ronnie Brewer & PG-Jason Kidd in the starting-lineup. All was good until .. Woodson started bringing JRsmith off the bench 3 minutes after tip-off. When Woodson did this 10 games in a row, I started promoting Woodson to be FIRED, while bashing ISO-Melo & ISO JR Ball-Hoggers 48 minutes of the game.
What player want to start the game to be pulled out after 3 minutes into the game .. Im sure Brewer complain, bc Kidd took himself out of the starting lineup, after the 18-5 start.

I don't disagree with you here. JR is a clear liability. I see no reason why he should start on an NBA team at this point. All the more reason to give Stats more minutes or a starting role even.

The Knicks 2013-14 $91M cap roster would be playing above .600 record without clueless-Woodson, ISO-Melo, and poor decision-making JRsmith, in Knicks practice, and in Knicks games calling all the shots.
For NBA fans to believe the Knicks roster have no other option to score other than Melo/JR are plain foolish thinking when these same fans believe that same foolishness when Melo/JR departed from the Denver Nuggets.
So far the Denver Nuggets are going on their 4th season with a better winning record than the Melo-Knicks.

I made this same argument and I cringed every time I saw Galo or Wilson in a Nuggets uniform, but we've got to stop looking backwards. As good as the Nuggets are they're not making it out of the first round of the playoffs. The Melo trade didn't make us any worse, it just didn't make us better.

Shump's in his 3rd season in the NBA, and we shouldve been tutoring Shump to be our big-combo-guard off the bench to win the 6th Man award before his 4th season.
There's not one decent winning NBA HC that has the patience to put up with JRsmith antics in a 82 game season, plus give JR above 20 minutes of playing-time per game .. JR decision-making is poor, and JR gellin with PG and bigmen are poorer.
It's a known fact that young players develop well into winning team-players when they are influence around veteran teammates that perform on the same-page.

I want to like Chump, I mean Shump but going back to your point about earning a starting role, he hasn't. At least not yet. Which is why in my mind the only advantage to starting him is to increase his trade value. Other than that, he should be the back up forward.

It may be to late for chemistry from Tyson/Stat/Melo .. none of the 3 players compliment any of their talents on offense/defense.
Woodson have to go with Felton, bc every veteran PG in the past 3 seasons gave-up on Woodson foolishness of being a PUPPET headcoach to ISO-Melo & JR.
We have 13 players that are force to compliment Melo & JR style of performance to receive playingtime.
GO Knicks !!!!!!!
:thumbsup::gony: :thumbsup:

I've seen these guys on the court together just not starting and their play can work. At this point Chandler is clearly diminishing. Much like Amare he's over paid and if he were making 5, 6 or even 7 million per year, we'd have a much different conversation about him. All that said, all I want from Chandler are rebounds, blocks and defense. Maybe a couple of put backs here and there. If he gets me 10 points and 10 boards I've got no problem with him. He can still be effective if we run more plays for Amare and of course Melo is going to get his shots off.

To me this is a no brainer. If we agree that JR as a second scoring option should be completely off the table then there's no other way to salvage the season besides giving these three a shot. Tim Jr. is good but he's not ready.