STAT's Game and how it works

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
I have noticed a bit of a trend of Amare hate/concern in recent days. This thread I hope will enlighten some of you on Amare’s game and how it works. (some of it may be obvious and other things may make sense now)

Let us look at Amare Pre-Melo and the trade.

1. Amare thrived last year because he played the majority of his minutes at the center position. The reason for his success is because Centers find it difficult to guard Amare. Most centers around the league are hesitant to step out and guard STAT’s jumper allowing for wide open looks.

2. If they did step out and try to guard him outside the post he blew by them a majority of the time.

3. The pick and roll was so effective for Amare at the CENTER position because again for the reasons above.

The two videos below show just exactly what I am talking about. Pay particular attention to who he is scoring his jump shots on (mostly centers). Also look at his dunks, most of them come off passes off penetration by guards or by him blowing passed Centers who can’t keep up with him.
[FONT='Arial Black','sans-serif'][/font]

[FONT='Arial Black','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial Black','sans-serif']

Let us look at Amare since then.

This year he's playing his "natural position" at the power forward. This means he is guarded by more athletic more agile, quicker defenders. Now they are up on him distributing his timing on his jump shots. They also move faster from side to side causing him to dribble and turn over.

2.Note the Shaq trade to the Suns a few years ago and how that affected his game.

3. He needs guards who penetrate and kick the ball out to 10-15 feet away.

4. If we look at Amare's shots this year he is really getting the ball in horrible spots. Not in rythm and not in the flow of the offense.

For Amare to be successful as he was last year a few things need to happen:

1. The most obvious reason is he needs a point to set him up and run the pick and roll with him.

2. With Chandler offensive flaws he needs to set picks and screens to get Centers guarding Amare again.

3. Dantoni NEEDS to be smart and sometimes have Amare play the 5 when chandler is resting this causes many matchup problems for other teams.

4. What I think is the most imprtant reason as to why Amare is playing bad is because Chandler has no offensive game unless he gets those lobs and passes 3 feet away from the basket. With him not being a threat Bigs stand away from him and wait for Amare to penetrate. Once we get a proven guard it will free up Amare to be explosive again.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
Sorry my phone screwed this post up. Heres the links of the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8eeLiVOZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrdA_NKceBc

I haven't seen Stat play & run like that since he's been here. During the first 41 games last season he hit all those similar shots, but never do we EVER see him even attempt to play defense in the paint LET ALONE block shots like in those videos. It's obvious why the experts think he's knees are shot... I'm thinking they are too. Either that or he's playing lazy as hell which means the coach isn't motivating him and MDA needs to be fired.

Wargames

Starter
I haven't seen Stat play & run like that since he's been here. During the first 41 games last season he hit all those similar shots, but never do we EVER see him even attempt to play defense in the paint LET ALONE block shots like in those videos. It's obvious why the experts think he's knees are shot... I'm thinking they are too. Either that or he's playing lazy as hell which means the coach isn't motivating him and MDA needs to be fired.

If his Knees are even looking like they might be shot the knicks are going to make that trade....

I don't think they are though I just think he figured his shot would go down and with Chandler in the paint he could shoot. He still has a height advantage over most PF but without a PG he is farther from the basket than he needs to be to take that shot.

Also I don't think D'antoni says a damn negative thing to the star players. he is so passive aggressive and with the lack of a solid contract I don't see him trying to argue with the stars over what they should do.

I don't care how his game works. The faster he's out of New York, the better!

Knicks fans overrate him, because he produced fancy stats on offense last season, however he's never been a decent defender or decent decision maker.

Plus his off-court behaviour is embarrassing.

KBlack25

Starter
I don't care how his game works. The faster he's out of New York, the better!

Knicks fans overrate him, because he produced fancy stats on offense last season, however he's never been a decent defender or decent decision maker.

Plus his off-court behaviour is embarrassing.

In what way is his off-court behavior embarrassing? As long as he isn't getting arrested, I find his off-court behavior completely irrelevant.

fender0577

Rotation player
In what way is his off-court behavior embarrassing? As long as he isn't getting arrested, I find his off-court behavior completely irrelevant.
Agreed, i could care less about his off court antics, as long as it isn't effecting his on court play.How quickly we turn on our players, we have horrible PG play, and basically no coach, give it time people we'll be fine.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Agreed, i could care less about his off court antics, as long as it isn't effecting his on court play.How quickly we turn on our players, we have horrible PG play, and basically no coach, give it time people we'll be fine.

What exactly is STAT doing off court? Either way I don't care, I'm just curious.