Mark Berman analysis of camp

Kiyaman

Legend
KNICKS SET FOR CAMP SARATOGA

By MARC BERMAN

Posted: 4:18 am
September 28, 2008

Saratoga is a quaint upstate town made famous in the 1800s for its mineral springs that contain therapeutic healing powers. Saratoga has its work cut out for itself this week. The moribund Knicks New York Knicks come to town for training camp - a crippled franchise trying to heal.

President Donnie Walsh moved the training-camp venue from Charleston to change the culture.

He's tired of hearing the same comments walking the streets. "It's mostly, you got to fix the Knicks, expletive, expletive," Walsh said. Walsh did little to enhance the 23-59 Knicks, his biggest move adding marquee coach Mike D'Antoni. First practice is at Skidmore College on Tuesday. Good luck, Saratoga.

FIVE KEYS TO CAMP

* Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury finds himself in a point-guard battle with their prime addition, Chris Duhon and possibly in a battle with brass. Marbury won't be happy if he feels they're keeping him around an extra few weeks just to prevent him from signing with a conference rival. When Walsh was asked if that was a factor, the president said, "Not really. I know that's gotten publicized. I think I said that once. You hate to pay a guy money and then he's playing for another team for lesser money." Duhon is still trying to find the right chemistry with his teammates. D'Antoni feels Duhon fits better in facilitating his run-and-gun, but Marbury's down to a svelte 197 pounds.

* Overweight Eddy Curry Eddy Curry has made a bad first impression with the new regime, putting his starting center duties in jeopardy. Curry is ultra secretive about his weight, but a source claims he came in over 300 pounds. Considering he knew he needed to be lighter to excel in D'Antoni's breakneck offense, Curry may be looking to get moved. "This isn't an easy style for a man as big as he is," Walsh said. "If he can get himself in that kind of condition - that may take him some time - he is a very good athlete for a big man."

* The bright spot of camp, and this season, could be second-year forward Wilson Chandler, brilliant during summer league and during recent informal scrimmages. Chandler has a real chance to make the starting lineup - either at small or power forward, if Zach Randolph isn't cutting it. Don't be shocked if D'Antoni's Knicks go smallball and start Chandler at power forward and David Lee at center. Isiah Thomas nailed Chandler at No. 23. "He could be a find," Walsh said. "He definitely can fit in this style."

* Danilo Gallinari's injured back may ruin his rookie year. Gallinari will miss all of Saratoga's practices and D'Antoni says he might not be 100 percent until late in preseason. With D'Antoni going with a nine-man rotation, Gallinari's chances of cracking it this season appear slim. Worse, Gallinari is showing signs he could be the Italian Jerome James.

* Allan Houston will try to catch lightning in a bottle. He can probably make the team but not the rotation, and D'Antoni isn't sure the fourth-leading scorer in Knicks history can handle that role. Walsh said Houston would be kept on in a front-office role if the tryout fails.

"There's really no reason not to try," D'Antoni said. "I have no idea if his body will hold up to two-a-days or one-a-days. He's one of the best shooters in the world. We'll see if we have a role for him."

Finally the truth without all the optimistic awesome Blah Blah Blah.

Duhorn clueless, Gallo broken down, Marbury resurection, Curry bloated, the Zach & Curry tandem may get beat out, and Wilson Chandler the bright lone star.
This is all a person is seeking......The TRUTH!!!

GetRealistic

Starter
Marc Berman and this truth in the same line. Are you serious? Also where in there was there a knock on Duhon? All it says is hes still trying to find chemistry with his new teammates. Duhon is a new player who other then the last few weeks of scrimmaging hasn't played with any of these guys. Isn't training camp and the preseason the time to build chemistry?

Paul1355

All Star
Marbury should win the spot. If he has some motivation, he will make Duhon look like he's back in Duke learning fundamentals.

I am highly disappointed in Curry. Not surprised but disappointed. What a waste of talent.

And excited to watch Wilson Chandler a.k.a Willy Mcfly.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It also says "D'Antoni feels Duhon fits better in facilitating his run-and-gun". Marbury will most likely win the starting spot. But, what will happen if Duhon does? Should be interesting.

Also, small ball with Lee at Center and Chandler at PF sounds interesting. I like that D'Antoni will play the guys that will fit his style and not based on their salaries(contracts). Although, can you imagine the lockerroom drama if both Zach and Marbury are coming off the bench? Yikes!

there wont be any drama, the best part about mike D and walsh, is they have no ties to any one, let them bitch on the bench, as long as they dont effect the course of the game, as they said there is going to be a circle built, if your not in the circle, then your not part of the team, especially the rotation, I hope marbs and zach start crying, will give the youngins a true chance to break out in this offfense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Starting C-Eddy Curry commin into camp over 300 pounds knowing the new coach want to run an uptempo running system shows his dedication to the team.

Starting PG-Marbury commin into camp physically fit and ready to play 82 games of B-Ball.... even after reading and hearing all the gossip & rumors for the last 3 months that he will be waived by the Knicks makes you wonder what team Jersey Marbury had plans on wearing this season.
If Marbury had plans on starting this season on the next-team, rather than play for his old assistant coach Dantoni.... could result in some old-hash commin to light this season.

Reading coach Dantoni interview about the Knick players lastweek, and Marc Berman report of the Knick players at the start of this week shows a different light of the individual Knick players as a team.

Coach Dantoni see things different than Berman once he lay down his 2 weeks of training camp on these Knick Players. He was delighted about the athleticism of Jared Jefferies in those scrimage games.

portega1968

El Cacique
Someone have mercy and pleeeease bench that fat bastard we have in the middle and muzzle him.

Eddy Curry, you fat fuuck... IRS should tax your ass for every pound of lard you shove down that toilet you call face.

On the bright side, I'm praying Chandler can live up to all this hype... if that happens, Isiah's legacy may be rewritten by just this one pick.

As long as there isn't a locker-room uprising, let's see Stephon get another chance through February.

Curry should've taken a tip from Stephon and prepared to compete for a spot in the rotation. Eddy "Jabba Da' Hut" Curry.

Starting PG-Marbury commin into camp physically fit and ready to play 82 games of B-Ball.... even after reading and hearing all the gossip & rumors for the last 3 months that he will be waived by the Knicks makes you wonder what team Jersey Marbury had plans on wearing this season.
If Marbury had plans on starting this season on the next-team, rather than play for his old assistant coach Dantoni.... could result in some old-hash commin to light this season.

Or maybe Steph wants a last chance to prove his worth here in NY. There is no doubt about this, If Steph is the starter in this system, he will play very, very well. It is a system designed to play to his strengths. There is no logical reason to believe Steph would not excel in this system.

Contract year
Something to prove off his worst year on the court, and probably off with everything that happened.
New coach, new regime, chance at new life.

If the Knicks give Marbury a fair shot, he will likely be one of the bright spots this year.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
1. Zach is going to have to start otherwise his trade value will fall lower. So we are going to have to make a short term sacrifice and play him, pad his stats, and then try to move him later this year.

2. Fat slob Curry is not in shape again and will be extremely difficult to move because of that and his uninsurable contract.

3. Marbury is a total non-event. Regardless of whether he plays this year or not, he's not in the long term plans. He'll be out of here at the end of the season or later this year.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
If we cant find someone who can rebound zach might be deserving of some minutes, because the only other good rebounder we have is Lee. I dont see how randolph can fit into the offense but at least he'll grab some rebounds, Curry is the biggest problem. His fat ass is outta shape and hes not a good rebounder. If i was the gm his chubby ass woulda been the first one gone, and then crawford followed by Snack ransoft.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
If we cant find someone who can rebound zach might be deserving of some minutes, because the only other good rebounder we have is Lee. I dont see how randolph can fit into the offense but at least he'll grab some rebounds, Curry is the biggest problem. His fat ass is outta shape and hes not a good rebounder. If i was the gm his chubby ass woulda been the first one gone, and then crawford followed by Snack ransoft.

I agree.

I don't hate Randolph as much as many other people. He's overpaid and not much of a team player, but he does some things well. I just like Lee more and would rather have him starting.

I agree.

I don't hate Randolph as much as many other people. He's overpaid and not much of a team player, but he does some things well. I just like Lee more and would rather have him starting.

I agree man, the way I look at it is, if they were almost close to buying out marbs this summer, who says they cant do the same with zach in 2 summers, when they want some big names. I never saw what the rush in getting rid of him was, he is truly to me a "ya never know" because truly with the right coach and his skill set "ya never know"

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
co-sign the last 2 posts

If zach was a better team player, he would be one of my favorites. Hes very skilled but very selfish. I've always been impressed with the numbers he put up his last year in Portland considering how not athletic he is. Hes still a poor fit for this team, and we still dont have a pf/C who can defend.

Kiyaman

Legend
Or maybe Steph wants a last chance to prove his worth here in NY. There is no doubt about this, If Steph is the starter in this system, he will play very, very well. It is a system designed to play to his strengths. There is no logical reason to believe Steph would not excel in this system.

Contract year
Something to prove off his worst year on the court, and probably off with everything that happened.
New coach, new regime, chance at new life.

If the Knicks give Marbury a fair shot, he will likely be one of the bright spots this year.

1. Zach is going to have to start otherwise his trade value will fall lower. So we are going to have to make a short term sacrifice and play him, pad his stats, and then try to move him later this year.

2. Fat slob Curry is not in shape again and will be extremely difficult to move because of that and his uninsurable contract.

3. Marbury is a total non-event. Regardless of whether he plays this year or not, he's not in the long term plans. He'll be out of here at the end of the season or later this year.

Marbury has always been a selfish Halfcourt offensive PG that need shooters and slashers for his teammates.... the Boston Big-3.

Marbury had Coach Byron Scott, Coach Eddie Jordan, and Both coaches in Phoenix whom tried everything possible to get Marbury to play in an uptempo system. All coaches failed pitifully.
Marbury has always been a selfish Halfcourt offensive PG.
This season Marbury would go out of his way to have a 16/7 or better season....even if he had to buy his teammates friendship.
But....the hiring of a coach he had bad history with, and then signing Duhorn to replace him.....is not a good way to get on the good side of a $21 million dollar Marbury.

It looks like Curry gave up.... not any of his food.... but on repeating another season with teammates who refuse to add him in the offense.
Even Crawford stop throwing him the alley-oop pass lastseason.

Originally Posted by knicklover
I agree.

Zach Randolph is also a halfcourt offensive player that would be great to bring off the bench, he fails as a Starter and Finisher on any team for his lack of defense, and running back on defense to defend and block a shot.
Coach Cheek and Coach McMillian tried a liitle of everything to mold Zach into a "Team-Ball-Player" to mesh with one or two of his teammates on offense/defense. Both coaches Failed bigtime.
Zach passing skillz adds 3 to 4 turnovers to his game.

Would you trade Zach Randolph back for Francis & Frye, knowing you have to pay Francis $30 million dollars???

I'm just excited to see a new style/culture. I hope D'antoni gets them in absurd shape and runs small ball. It could be just the change in philosophy that our struggling franchise needs.