Game thread: New York Knicks @ Dallas Mavericks 8:30 11/9/2019 [Game #9]

tiger0330

Legend
F$$k Taj misses 2 FTs but Luka takes a 30 ft 3 with plenty of time left to tie it. Bad shot in my book, I don’t care how good the kid is. Knicks come away with the W.

Frank off of this becomes the starting PG. MRob may come off the bench when he returns.

Why is RJ in the game? Wouldn't you want Dotson and Trier in the game because they are better free throw shooter? Fiz going to learn his lesson with having RJ in the game needing F.T.

Kiyaman

Legend
Great Knick WIN .. 106 - 102 !!!
I admit .. i thought the Mavs were gonna Blow us out of Dallas tonight.

I'm holding on to tonight win .. it was the best 48 minute Knick performance i seen from coach Fizdale.
When Fiz put Gibson back into the game in the 4th qrt. I knew we had this win.
The only thing that upset me tonite .. were Dotson deserve 10 of our rookie RJ Barrett minute of playing time tonight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Game ball to Ntilikina. The defense he played on two critical possessions in the last 2 minutes when the game was tied were as important as any of the shots he made tonight.

Frank made things hard for Luka even though Luka scored a lot of points .. Luka had 8 or 9 turnovers and that last shot from 10 feet behind the 3 point line Rick Carlisle could not have been happy. But still .. Frank was all over him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Why is RJ in the game? Wouldn't you want Dotson and Trier in the game because they are better free throw shooter? Fiz going to learn his lesson with having RJ in the game needing F.T.

Tonight, was a good win .. now tommorow when i feel ugly I will comment on Fiz not giving Dotson minute in the 2nd half after playing great in the first half. Dotson & Trier tandem up well tonight.

tiger0330

Legend
What a win. If you had told me Doncic had a 38 pt triple double and him and KP combined for 66 pts and you asked me who won the game I would have told you the Knicks got slaughtered but the boys pull off the improbable win. Jury is still out on this team though, they've played some stinkers but they have what might be their starting PG now and a veteran presence that might be what we expected them to be at the start of the season.

mafra

Legend
FT shooting aside, that was a terrific game. Frank looked like the third best dude in the floor tonight, after Doncic and KP. A fantastic game, impacting on both ends.

Let?s see if they can repeat this performance at the garden next week.

I like how little it take us to get excited about PG play. Lilliard dropped 60 last night, but Blazers lost to Nets because Kyrie and Dinwiddie combined for 67. Russell had 52 in a Warriors loss last night.

In the end, winning makes everything look better.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I like how little it take us to get excited about PG play. Lilliard dropped 60 last night, but Blazers lost to Nets because Kyrie and Dinwiddie combined for 67. Russell had 52 in a Warriors loss last night.

In the end, winning makes everything look better.

So true Dame played an incredible game last night. I?m glad at least Knits is showing up now kid looked like different player in FIBA maybe he brought some of that confidence back to his paying job.

mafra

Legend
Last night just reinforced the desire, the dream, to see MRob, KP, Frank and RJ creating havoc on defense together.

mafra

Legend
All hail #FibaFrank!

According to Basketball-Reference, Ntilikina became the first player in Knicks franchise history to tally at least four made 3PT?s, four thefts and three blocks in the same game. Furthermore, at 21 years of age, he is also the youngest player in NBA history with at least four triples, four steals and three swats in a single contest.

Consider this: In the 22 possessions in which Ntilikina was the primary defender on Luka Doncic last night, Doncic was 5-of-12 from the floor (41%) and 0-of-3 from downtown, for 11 points and three assists while being forced into five turnovers.

When Luka?s primary defender was any Knick other Ntilikina (when Frank was either out of the game or switched onto another Dallas player), Doncic was 8-of-14 (57%) from the field en route to 24 points and seven assists vs. just three turnovers.

Ntilikina was also switched onto Kristaps Porzingis on multiple occasions throughout the night. When guarded by Frank, Porzingis missed all three of his FG attempts. KP was 11-of-19 against all other New York defenders. All told, Mavericks players shot just 27.8% against Ntilikina. Per NBA.com/stats, Frank had seven defensive deflections in the game. No other Knick had more than two.

Since his NBA debut back in 2017, it was immediately apparent that he had the tools to establish himself as an elite perimeter defender. The key question over his first two pro seasons was whether or not he could develop into a competent offensive player.

Well, in the four games he?s started this month, Ntilikina is averaging 32.2 minutes a night and shooting 48.4% from the field and a scorching 58.3% from behind the arc (7-of-12 from 3-point territory). Yes, that?s a remarkably small sample size. Still, it?s hard to watch Ntilikina confidently step into jumpers, as he has done over these past couple of weeks, and not acknowledge that he has the ability to shoot, at least, a league-average percentage from deep. He has increased his eFG% on jumpers from 38.3% in 2018-19, all the way to 54.3% this season.

And, of course, Frank continually finds other ways to contribute. During this current four-game stretch, he has racked up 13 assists, a team-high nine steals, and a team-high seven blocks, while committing just four turnovers. With Ntilikina on the court, the Knicks have scored 103.8 points per 100 possessions. When he?s on the bench, they?ve scored 93.3 points per 100 possessions. This is due in no small part to the fact that the ball moves far more crisply when Frank is on the floor. Frank is averaging 58 passes a game. Every other Knick is averaging 43 or fewer passes. Despite playing the point, Ntilikina has posted a usage rate of just 12.3%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-knicks-starting-point-guard-this-season/amp/

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Thus, looking ahead, there should be no doubt that Ntilikina has earned the right to be permanently installed at the team?s starting point guard. Not just for the next game or the next week. Coach David Fizdale should announce that Ntilikina will be the team?s starting PG indefinitely.

It may have taken a hamstring injury to Elfrid Payton and the truly unfortunate passing of Dennis Smith Jr?s loved one to force Fizdale?s hand and move Frank into the first five, but here we are. Fully committing to Ntilikina not only gives the team it?s best chance to win right now, it?s also in the franchise?s best long term interest.

Even before he struggled to start the season, I posited that Smith Jr. might be best utilized as an offensive spark plug off the bench to provide some scoring punch for the second unit. Let DSJ serve as the team?s sixth man, enabling him to take advantage of his explosive athleticism, and unabashedly look for his shot. Payton can be deployed as a defensive option on nights the Knicks needs stops, or DSJ is struggling offensively.

Fizdale and the Knicks coaching staff must make it known that they are handing Ntilikina the keys. Allow the kid?s budding confidence to continue growing. Let him know that he doesn?t have to look over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake. Just as importantly, Fizdale needs to put Ntilikina in a position to succeed. Adjust the offensive game plan accordingly. Run far more pick-and-rolls with Frank as the primary ball-handler. Allow him to play downhill. Encourage him to penetrate into the paint and create scoring opportunities for himself and others. Once Mitchell Robinson is back healthy, the Knicks would be starting a pitbull on the perimeter and an elite rim-protector on the back end. It could be the first time in a very long time that the Knicks were even close to respectable defensively.

Give Ntilikina a few months as the man. We can sit down and re-access the situation after the All-Star break. What?s the worst that can happen? The team is already six games under .500. New York isn?t winning a playoff game this season, let alone the championship. Use the 2019-20 campaign to find out precisely what they have in Frank Ntilikina.

Based on his first few starts and Friday?s impressive performance, they?ll learn they have themselves a keeper.

Last night just reinforced the desire, the dream, to see MRob, KP, Frank and RJ creating havoc on defense together.

I agree about it being dream.

I had a different dream.
A Beautiful Dream.
It included KP, Frank, Dotson, MRob and Knox. Now those are all Phil and Gaines picks. Yes, MRob and Knox are Gaines picks. The front office kept Gaines around until after the draft of Knox and MRob. His contract wasn't renewed so instead of letting him leave early they kept him around to teach C. Robinson and get advice on who to draft.

ASK THE QUESTION: WHY IS PHIL AND GAINES NO LONGER WITH THE KNICKS?? Look at that lineup!!

My dream doesn't contain a nightmare on defense.

I agree about it being dream.

I had a different dream.
A Beautiful Dream.
It included KP, Frank, Dotson, MRob and Knox. Now those are all Phil and Gaines picks. Yes, MRob and Knox are Gaines picks. The front office kept Gaines around until after the draft of Knox and MRob. His contract wasn't renewed so instead of letting him leave early they kept him around to teach C. Robinson and get advice on who to draft.

ASK THE QUESTION: WHY IS PHIL AND GAINES NO LONGER WITH THE KNICKS?? Look at that lineup!!

My dream doesn't contain a nightmare on defense.

PJ basically got fired after drafting Ntilikina over DSJ. I bet PJ is laughing his ass off this week.

PJ basically got fired after drafting Ntilikina over DSJ. I bet PJ is laughing his ass off this week.

You can't put just anybody of drafting talent. That is why Phil bought in Gaines. That wasn't his strong suit but it was Gaines. They were the perfect match but they could find a coach. Only if someone could get to Dolan and show him what could have been if left alone.

Do see how many ppl don't realize what we had in Phil and Gaines. How in the he** do fire the man that won the most NBA championship and is a former Knick player? Who is going to do more for the Knicks than a Knick? Now if someone out there can point to a better choice than Phil and Gaines. I'm all ears.

You can't put just anybody of drafting talent. That is why Phil bought in Gaines. That wasn't his strong suit but it was Gaines. They were the perfect match but they could find a coach. Only if someone could get to Dolan and show him what could have been if left alone.

Do see how many ppl don't realize what we had in Phil and Gaines. How in the he** do fire the man that won the most NBA championship and is a former Knick player? Who is going to do more for the Knicks than a Knick? Now if someone out there can point to a better choice than Phil and Gaines. I'm all ears.

Tom Thibodeau. The man loves the Knicks. Turned the Bulls into a tough team despite constant injuries. Broke TWolves playoff drought before Jimmy Butler sabotaged him. He would get results here, but Dolan is afraid of guys who won?t just kiss his ass.

Tom T. would be the coach that Phil is looking for maybe. But who is better than Phil and Gaines? Who can see the future for us as a team? The Window is CLOSING on Phil and Gaines!!! Lost 3 years, huh.

tiger0330

Legend
All hail #FibaFrank!

According to Basketball-Reference, Ntilikina became the first player in Knicks franchise history to tally at least four made 3PT?s, four thefts and three blocks in the same game. Furthermore, at 21 years of age, he is also the youngest player in NBA history with at least four triples, four steals and three swats in a single contest.

Consider this: In the 22 possessions in which Ntilikina was the primary defender on Luka Doncic last night, Doncic was 5-of-12 from the floor (41%) and 0-of-3 from downtown, for 11 points and three assists while being forced into five turnovers.

When Luka?s primary defender was any Knick other Ntilikina (when Frank was either out of the game or switched onto another Dallas player), Doncic was 8-of-14 (57%) from the field en route to 24 points and seven assists vs. just three turnovers.

Ntilikina was also switched onto Kristaps Porzingis on multiple occasions throughout the night. When guarded by Frank, Porzingis missed all three of his FG attempts. KP was 11-of-19 against all other New York defenders. All told, Mavericks players shot just 27.8% against Ntilikina. Per NBA.com/stats, Frank had seven defensive deflections in the game. No other Knick had more than two.

Since his NBA debut back in 2017, it was immediately apparent that he had the tools to establish himself as an elite perimeter defender. The key question over his first two pro seasons was whether or not he could develop into a competent offensive player.

Well, in the four games he?s started this month, Ntilikina is averaging 32.2 minutes a night and shooting 48.4% from the field and a scorching 58.3% from behind the arc (7-of-12 from 3-point territory). Yes, that?s a remarkably small sample size. Still, it?s hard to watch Ntilikina confidently step into jumpers, as he has done over these past couple of weeks, and not acknowledge that he has the ability to shoot, at least, a league-average percentage from deep. He has increased his eFG% on jumpers from 38.3% in 2018-19, all the way to 54.3% this season.

And, of course, Frank continually finds other ways to contribute. During this current four-game stretch, he has racked up 13 assists, a team-high nine steals, and a team-high seven blocks, while committing just four turnovers. With Ntilikina on the court, the Knicks have scored 103.8 points per 100 possessions. When he?s on the bench, they?ve scored 93.3 points per 100 possessions. This is due in no small part to the fact that the ball moves far more crisply when Frank is on the floor. Frank is averaging 58 passes a game. Every other Knick is averaging 43 or fewer passes. Despite playing the point, Ntilikina has posted a usage rate of just 12.3%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-knicks-starting-point-guard-this-season/amp/
I was complaining about the absence of blocks and steals for a 2 game stretch a while ago for someone that is supposed to be an elite defender. His ball pressure has been better, looks like some of the elite on ball defenders like PatBev and Avery when defending now, up close, active hands.

He looks like a different player out there, all in a span of about a week, confidence, coaching? Now I'd like to see him attack the rim and break down a defense instead of handing it off at the top.