Toney D: Draft Steal

Alej_Correa

Benchwarmer
everyone knew this guy was better than Duhon and now he finally gets playing time and is showing that he was a steal in the draft.

3 million for his draft right? Donnie you have made yet another great move....give Donnie props.

donnie you have made yet another great move? it took donnie the whole season to finally put the kid in! he should have been playing him alot earlier. that was one of the things i hated most about dantoni this season..how is a rookie supposed to develop when you dont give him playing time..now that theres a month left in the season he decides to put him in! imagine how much more t.doug would have developed this season if he had more playing time..so yeah thanks alot donnie hahaha

mafra

Legend
This kid will only get better. He's almost like a mixture of Ward and Childs. He has the heart and work ethic of Charlie Ward. A real grinder. He also loves to play defense. LOVES IT. He has the offense that Childs had, the ability to create.

I think he'll only get better. He can shoot. Sure, he might not be Curry, but his shot is better than Lawson & Jennings. Kid can stroke it. He was basically the man in college, led ACC in scoring. He was the go-to guy. He's now adjusting, and he'll learn to run an offense. That you can teach.

Look at it this way, look at how Galo is playing now that he has a PG who looks for him?

Douglas can also take anyone off the dribble. Penetrate!

I think Douglas, Walker, Sergio & T-mac is a perfect guard rotation, if NYK can bring in the stars:

Plan-A: Lebron & Bosh
Plan-B: Lebron, Tyrus Thomas & David Lee
Plan-C: Amar'e, Thomas & Lee
Plan-D: Lebron & Gay

We could always let Tmac walk, and go after Joe Johnson. But, my thinking is our front court is SO BAD, that Johnson & Lebron is not enough. We still would need a big.

So, maybe we sign Lebron and Thomas, and sign-n-trade Lee for Bosh? WOW!

Who knows. Point is... I'm comfy with Douglas, Walker & Sergio. All young with loads of potential. At the least, they are professional role players on a championship team.

smokes

Huge Member
donnie you have made yet another great move? it took donnie the whole season to finally put the kid in! he should have been playing him alot earlier. that was one of the things i hated most about dantoni this season..how is a rookie supposed to develop when you dont give him playing time..now that theres a month left in the season he decides to put him in! imagine how much more t.doug would have developed this season if he had more playing time..so yeah thanks alot donnie hahaha

You seem to be confused as to what Donnie Walsh's role is on the Knicks, he is the GM not the head coach.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Agreed. That post came from someone who is a self proclaimed "knicks fan of 2011". Shit like that pisses me off. Especially when the fairweather fans don't even know who our general manager is...2010 will be the year of the bandwagon. Lets brace ourselves for idiots like alej corea.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Toney Douglas has been very impressive. He would make a good starting point guard for the Knicks. Rodriguez has also been impressive. He understands his role and doesn't hoist up bad shots like Duhon does.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Douglas is lookin real good (pause)...It hurts me deeply to think that Antoni gave Duhell all those big minutes earlier in the season, up until the trade deadline

:barf:

Paul1355

All Star

Donnie is not the coach....Mike D is...don't mix the jobs of those two.....Donnie picked up Jordan Hill, Larry Hughes, signed Nate, paid extra for Toney Douglas.....it was Mike D's fault for having a love fest with Chris Duhon and never playing Toney D or Nate.....Hughes didnt like Mike D so that ended most of his playing time and Jordan Hill was never played.....do you think Donnie would have signed Hill as the 8th pick if he thought Mike D would play Jared Jeffries over him every game??? NO....substitutions and lineups are not Donnie's job, it's the coaches job.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Douglas excels when it comes to playing defense and scoring. He's not much a pg right now because he suffers from poor court vision and a lack of good ball handling. I don't see him ever becoming a legitimate starting pg because his first instincts is to shoot and he's a subpar passer. Actually, that's fine if the system calls for a scoring pg but if not then he's a good bench player.

I know he's still learning and I definitely root for him but this team is expected to load up this summer and seriously compete next season, so I don't see him being ready to run the team. Sergio is much closer to that IMO.

Paul1355

All Star
Douglas excels when it comes to playing defense and scoring. He's not much a pg right now because he suffers from poor court vision and a lack of good ball handling. I don't see him ever becoming a legitimate starting pg because his first instincts is to shoot and he's a subpar passer. Actually, that's fine if the system calls for a scoring pg but if not then he's a good bench player.

I know he's still learning and I definitely root for him but this team is expected to load up this summer and seriously compete next season, so I don't see him being ready to run the team. Sergio is much closer to that IMO.
Toney Douglas would rack up assists if guys were not missing wide open shots...sub par passer? Of course he is not Steve Nash/Rubio...what do you expect?

He never turns the ball over and racks up a decent amount of assists for someone who never played this year and was benched.

His defense is very good for a rookie and will only improve.

Your under rating Douglas.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Toney Douglas would rack up assists if guys were not missing wide open shots...sub par passer? Of course he is not Steve Nash/Rubio...what do you expect?

He never turns the ball over and racks up a decent amount of assists for someone who never played this year and was benched.

His defense is very good for a rookie and will only improve.

Your under rating Douglas.

That could be said for the majority of PGs in the league. If you watch him play, he can only make the simplest of passes. Most of the time he gives the ball up as soon as he crosses half court. Last night I watched on several occassions where he made a pass to a guy that was in no position to make a move. Yes he'll get assists simply because he's out there and getting minutes but it doesn't mean that he usually makes good decisions.

His defense (which I've never criticized) has nothing to do with basic PG skills.

He never turns the ball over?? Where did you get that from?? He had 3 TOs in each of the last 2 games. Not saying that's horrible, just stating the facts to disprove your comment.

Listen, I hope i'm wrong about him but he just doesn't seem like a guy that will ever transform into a legitimate starting PG. As of right now, i think he's on a road to becoming a Mo Williams type player.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
That could be said for the majority of PGs in the league. If you watch him play, he can only make the simplest of passes. Most of the time he gives the ball up as soon as he crosses half court. Last night I watched on several occassions where he made a pass to a guy that was in no position to make a move. Yes he'll get assists simply because he's out there and getting minutes but it doesn't mean that he usually makes good decisions.

His defense (which I've never criticized) has nothing to do with basic PG skills.

He never turns the ball over?? Where did you get that from?? He had 3 TOs in each of the last 2 games. Not saying that's horrible, just stating the facts to disprove your comment.

Listen, I hope i'm wrong about him but he just doesn't seem like a guy that will ever transform into a legitimate starting PG. As of right now, i think he's on a road to becoming a Mo Williams type player.
Toney's game against Dallas he had 0 turnovers with 20 points and 7 assists... the only game I can say where the turnovers were bad enough to remember were last game in Boston...but everyone had turnovers and Douglas was the only player really hustling and getting steals...Rondo just shut him down.

Your also judging a player that has barely payed this season and is clearly better than Duhon, Nate, Sergio and Eddie House so Douglas SHOULD have gotten a high amount of minutes in the start of the year.

I do agree that Toney gives up the ball too early but that's the way Mike D runs his offense, with D Lee as the point forward always getting passes at the the three point line to create a pick and roll.

Toney does have to take control more and drive to the basket because he is one of the fastest players in the NBA

New New York

Quiet Storm
He's backup Material!

Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.

I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, he may very well be backup material. But?

1. He's still better than Duhon.
2. At this point, he's still better than Sergio Rodriguez.
3. He's the best point guard we've got right now
4. Even if he's not our future starting point guard, he's still a high-energy player who's also a good defender, so he'd be a valuable bench player. Goodness we haven't had a good defender in our backcourt in ages.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Yeah, he may very well be backup material. But?

1. He's still better than Duhon.
2. At this point, he's still better than Sergio Rodriguez.
3. He's the best point guard we've got right now
4. Even if he's not our future starting point guard, he's still a high-energy player who's also a good defender, so he'd be a valuable bench player. Goodness we haven't had a good defender in our backcourt in ages.
I miss Chris Childs and Charlie Ward so much. So mediocre, but so sick to watch at the same time.

p0nder

Starter
I'm glad to see Tony D getting minutes. He's earned them with patience and hard work. He is a persistent defender and brings a great shot to the floor.

If he can learn to get his teammates to spread the floor more then he will have more opportunities to drive the lane. He is very quick and has a great first step.

His ball handling and passing skills need attention, and that is not a great way to start out as a PG in the NBA. We'll watch him make rookie mistakes this season. And, unless he develops tremendously over the offseason, we'll see him make some next season as well.

But he is developing and learning and appears to have an understanding and fundamental knowledge of the game. In this day and age of the And1 tour and street ball moves and flash with no substance, Tony D brings a real classic skill set to the table. I am looking forward to seeing more of what he can do and how his game develops with these minutes. I think by seasons end we'll have a good sample of Tony's game to make our call.

Paul1355

All Star
He's backup Material!

Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.

I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!
Did you watch the game last night??....was Toney Douglas not the game breaker scoring 14 4th quarter points??....he has taken over at least 3 games in the past month in the 4th quarter....and he has barely played this year....this post is a fail because you are judging someone and ignoring what actually happens in the games...

Toney has ice in his veins and is the most aggressive player on this team on both offense and defense.

With Gallo, he did suffer because teams started playing him up close. But Gallo suffered because he didn't realize until now that he has to play aggressive and drive towards the hoop in order to be effective. Last game Gallo realized this and kept drawing fouls because defensemen are trying to play him so close that Gallo can easily flop or draw a foul....if he plays like he did against Philly then teams are going to have a problem against him.