2010 New York Yankees Season Thread

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
The 2010 Season is right around the corner y'all!!

Check out this NY Yankees season preview from my page:

The New York Yankees come into the 2010 season with high expectations. And why wouldn't they? Having won the World Series last year, anything less than becoming champions once again this year will be looked as a failure for the Yankees.

Before we get into the 2010 season, here's a brief overview of the Yankees 2009 championship season...

In 2009, the Yankees accomplished something that they hadn't accomplished in nine years (damn, that was a long time ago), become baseball's world champions. It was a season were everything fell in to place for the Yankees.

With key acquisitions of players like Mark Texeira, C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the 2009 season seemed like it was shaping up to be a great year for the Yankees.

It may not have been the longest journey for the Yankees, but it was a trying one. Year after year they had the ability to sign whomever they chose, mainly due to their unlimited payroll, but yet, did not manage to win it all in those years between their last title (2000) and last year's championship. We all knew the talent was there, but they were lacking something much more valuable. Something that turns good teams into great ones. That something was TEAM CHEMISTRY.

You can't really buy team chemistry. It doesn't sell for $19.99 at your local supermarket. It's something that develops when players become in sync with one another. You learn the ins and outs of each others style of play, which in turn, makes you play as one cohesive unit, and not like individuals anymore. That is what happened to the 2009 NY Yankees. Each player stopped playing for themselves and started playing for one another. We saw this chemistry develop more and more as the season progressed. From the numerous 'come from behind' victories that led to numerous pies in the face, to the helmet tosses at home plate, and the cheering of veterans like Jeter, A-Rod, and Pettitte towards the younger players, the NY Yankees of 2009 now had the chemistry that they had lacked in previous years. Which is the main reason why they came out on top in 2009. They were not just a good team anymore, but a great one.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I see you mentioned chemistry, some would argue that losing Melky affects that, but apparently both Granderson and Winn are major chemistry guys.
Nice job on the blog! I'm thinking about starting one up too.

Paul1355

All Star
Joe Girardi had his questionable moves but he prevailed. I am proud of Girardi. He managed to gel this team together which Torre could never do. Once Torre lost Bernie, Oniell, Tino, Brosius, all those clutch guys...his time was done and the true colors came out....but hey i might just be talking to fast here.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Joe Girardi had his questionable moves but he prevailed. I am proud of Girardi. He managed to gel this team together which Torre could never do. Once Torre lost Bernie, Oniell, Tino, Brosius, all those clutch guys...his time was done and the true colors came out....but hey i might just be talking to fast here.
Torre was bad at managing the bullpen. I mean I'm thankful for the 4 WS's and he deserves #6 retired, but by no means is he the greatest manager in Yankee history.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Torre was bad managing the pitchers period. He overworked his best pitcrs and come crunch time thye just didn't have anything left in the tank.

Paul1355

All Star
Since Torre is history and losing in LA, let's keep this thread about our current Yankee team.

Signing Javier Vazquez helped alot. We did not really have a 4th starter and now Joba and Hughes can battle for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Randy Winn just signed with the Yankees. Switch hitter with speed and hits for contact, which we need since we have enough power hitters.

Winn and Gardner most likely will fight for LF...along with that rule 5 draft pick.

jpz17

Starter
Since Torre is history and losing in LA, let's keep this thread about our current Yankee team.

Signing Javier Vazquez helped alot. We did not really have a 4th starter and now Joba and Hughes can battle for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Randy Winn just signed with the Yankees. Switch hitter with speed and hits for contact, which we need since we have enough power hitters.

Winn and Gardner most likely will fight for LF...along with that rule 5 draft pick.

I want the Yankees to cut every bolded player. By the way.. that "rule 5 pick" is Jamie Hoffman.. You should have known that:thumbsup:

Paul1355

All Star
I want the Yankees to cut every bolded player. By the way.. that "rule 5 pick" is Jamie Hoffman.. You should have known that:thumbsup:

I didnt want to mess up on the name but i knew his last name was Hoffman! I know my Yankees dont worry.

I kind of agreed with sports people saying that Vazquez unfairly has a negative look on him because of that homerun he gave up in playoffs last time with the Yankees. He had a good year that year and has been dominant since, especially last year. As a 4th starter he is solid.

Randy Winn is okay, had an off year least year but i hope he can bounce back like Nick Swisher did.

Hoffman you don't like? Let's see how he is in spring training before saying to cut the guy.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I see you mentioned chemistry, some would argue that losing Melky affects that, but apparently both Granderson and Winn are major chemistry guys.
Nice job on the blog! I'm thinking about starting one up too.

Thanks, man. If you're passionate about a certain subject, then go for it. I wanted to start the blog because I love NY Sports, and so I did :)

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I'm hearing nick johnson is going to be batting either 1 or 2????? WTF???

it should be Jeter-1 then Cano-2

Johnson should be batting 2nd. There's nothing wrong with that.

The reason we got him is because of his ridiculously high On Base Percentage, which was 3rd last year overall. The two in front of him? Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols, the best players in all of baseball. So you got 2 guys real good at getting on base, so Tex, A-Rod, Posada and whatever can bring them home. I believe we will have Jeter-Granderson versus rightys and Jeter-Johnson versus lefties. Cano is great and all, but he is at the bottom of the league in RISP. He's fine where he is.

Our lineup is fine, Boras not being greedy would have been better. Add Damon to this Granderson+Johnson mix and you got by far the best batting lineup in the MLB.

Paul1355

All Star
Johnson should be batting 2nd. There's nothing wrong with that.

The reason we got him is because of his ridiculously high On Base Percentage, which was 3rd last year overall. The two in front of him? Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols, the best players in all of baseball. So you got 2 guys real good at getting on base, so Tex, A-Rod, Posada and whatever can bring them home. I believe we will have Jeter-Granderson versus rightys and Jeter-Johnson versus lefties. Cano is great and all, but he is at the bottom of the league in RISP. He's fine where he is.

Our lineup is fine, Boras not being greedy would have been better. Add Damon to this Granderson+Johnson mix and you got by far the best batting lineup in the MLB.

yea Robby Cano hits into alot of double plays and can go on these streaks were he just KILLS rallies.

We would have never been a championship team if Damon was batting low in the lineup and Cano was batting 2nd. Seriously.

Cano is awesome but on this team he is still a solid hitter in the 5th or 6th spot...no harm in that.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Preseason!!!! Can't wait for the start of the regular season tho.

What is up with Joba?!?! He's playing like shit so far....

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Preseason!!!! Can't wait for the start of the regular season tho.

What is up with Joba?!?! He's playing like shit so far....
A lot of pitchers use spring training to work on secondary and every third pitches, so they don't usually have a regular season start mentality. I knew during one start AJ nearly worked exclusively with his change-up.
I'm a Joba to the rotation guy. He has about 4 pitches. He has a better ERA in his starts than Phil Hughes (who is a two pitch pitcher).

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Yankees are #1 at the halfway point!!!!

All-star game tonight, check it out everyone... I'm pretty sure they will have some sort of tribute for both Bob and George.

Paul1355

All Star
Joba needs to go to AAA and straighten his ass up, he's been horrible this year.
Robertson has emerged as a clutch pitcher with a dirty curveball. Our new 8th inning man.

Kerry Wood can pitch in the 7th inning.

Joba is now a random middle reliever. With some work he can be back to the dominate pitcher he was. Just remember how great he was in clutch spots, he needs that fire back. If not then trade him.