Any other options?

Danilo

Benchwarmer
With all this talk about Amare and JJ being our back up plan I can think of a million thing i would rather spend money on.
Here is my favorite emergency plan I've came up with.
Rather than spending max money on non-max players why not spend significantly less money on slighty lesser players?

David Lee- 12 mil
Brendan Haywood- 8 mil
JJ Reddick- 7 mil
Shaun Livingston- 4 mil

This gives us a potential starting 5 of-
Livingston
Reddick
Gallo
Lee
Haywood

with a bench of
Chandler
Walker
Douglass
Jordan
Rautins
Fields
Curry

I tend to like that alot better than any 5 we could make with Johnson and Amare unless we trade Curry's contract for a good C. Best thing about this plan is that it doesnt kill our cap going foward, while I think we can contend with our lineup. Maybe i'm completely wrong but I think that this is as good of a winning formula possible without lebron wade or bosh.

Paul1355

All Star
With all this talk about Amare and JJ being our back up plan I can think of a million thing i would rather spend money on.
Here is my favorite emergency plan I've came up with.
Rather than spending max money on non-max players why not spend significantly less money on slighty lesser players?

David Lee- 12 mil
Brendan Haywood- 8 mil
JJ Reddick- 7 mil
Shaun Livingston- 4 mil

This gives us a potential starting 5 of-
Livingston
Reddick
Gallo
Lee
Haywood

with a bench of
Chandler
Walker
Douglass
Jordan
Rautins
Fields
Curry

I tend to like that alot better than any 5 we could make with Johnson and Amare unless we trade Curry's contract for a good C. Best thing about this plan is that it doesnt kill our cap going foward, while I think we can contend with our lineup. Maybe i'm completely wrong but I think that this is as good of a winning formula possible without lebron wade or bosh.
the fact that your paying JJ Redick 7 million dollars should be a red flag to stop what your saying.

Redick is a bench player...this is an isiah thomas move.

PLUS Andy Rautins is has been compared to redick...we don't need two guys that play exactly the same and one overpriced player to start 2010.
Your other deals are good though.

I like Lee at 12 mil
Haywood for 8 mil is pushing it
Livingston for 4 mil is solid
And your lineup MIGHT make the playoffs

You gotta get someone besides Redick.

knicksin60

Starter
Where is the game changer on that team? The last 9 years should have taught Knick fans that you can't be a competitive team in the NBA with nothing but role players unless your coach is Rick Adelman or Scott Skiles.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Where is the game changer on that team? The last 9 years should have taught Knick fans that you can't be a competitive team in the NBA with nothing but role players unless your coach is Rick Adelman or Scott Skiles.

True that.

And how on earth are you gonna give Roddick $7M!? Bill Walker at $1.5M is 137498361841 times better. The kid can hit the 3! Is it only me who watched him play?

Haywood deserves MLE kind of cash, probably less. Mike D will never add a player like Haywood anyway.

Livingston at $4M is ridiculous as well. A solid end of season stint is worth no more than $1.5-2M, as with Barron.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
I agree that D'antoni wouldnt go after a true 5 like Haywood, but he should. As for money I think he commands at least 8 mill, maybe only a 3 yr deal but hes a C in his prime. Bill Walker is more talented than JJ, yes, but he failed to produce in college and in the nba other than glimpses last year. Redick was one of the most prolific scorers in college history that finally broke out last year and shot 40% from 3. Maybe he doesnt get 7 mill but his qualifying offer with the magic is 6 mill so i cant imagine him being had for less than that. Joe Johnson fits in just as well there but Id take Redick for 10 mil less than johnson anyday of the week.

Edit- and Livingston played very well for the Wizards at the end of the year, id be surprised if he doesnt get MLE money.

Xeneise

Rookie
JJ Redick got a whole lot better this season and the haters obviously did not watch Orlando play this year. He's a hell of a lot better than other sharp shooters like Mike Miller and Kyle Korver, and to say Andy Rautins can match his production is laughable.

He'll probably get close to the full MLE, or just above it with another team, or 4-6 million. 7 is not a completely unrealistic number.

While I like him, that being said, I don't want him as our starting shooting guard. Livingston is way too injury prone for me to give him that contract. Lee hopefully we can get for a bit less than that because we're NY, like 10-11, and Haywood at 8 is expensive but we'd probably have to offer that to have a chance with him.

IF Gallo turns into 20pt/6reb/2as/1bl/1stl like I hope, that's a playoff team. But a lower seed that is bouced in 1 series.

mafra

Legend
It's funny how John Salmons flies under the radar! Dude was the difference maker for CHI and MIL the last 2 seasons....

Heck, Knicks could sign guys like Shaun Livingston, Raymond Felton, John Salmons, Mike Miller, Brad Miller, Brendan Heywood, Ryan Gomes (going to be released)... Kyle Kover, Amir Johnson, Channing Frye, Luke Ridnour & Travis Outlaw.

Plus restricted free agents such as: Rudy Gay, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and Tyrus Thomas (and JJ Redick like you mentioned).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

Plenty of decent options, upgrades that would help this team.

Would you prefer to give max contracts to Joe Johnson and/or Amar'e; or to David Lee; and then plug in 2-4 of these aforementioned fellows, along with some trades (Curry-Chandler)?

If anything, an added bonus would be to see Douglas-Gallo-Walker become the players we need them to be. A starting PG, a true #3 option and 6th-man of the year candidate.

clumsy

Rotation player
John Salmons isn't a D'Antoni player. He plays defense well and is offensively inconsistent. Because he was the Bucks MVP too he will be lookiing for too much money.

However a guy we can take a chance on for SG and pay him less money is Josh Howard. He also isn't a D'Antoni player, but he had a bad season which doesn't match his prior body of work, so we could probably get him cheap.

clumsy

Rotation player
Also Tyrus Thomas or Brendan Haywood at center as backup plans. I'd rather have Tyrus just cuz he is a beast athletically.

If all FA's fall through David Lee and Tyrus is a ok front court. Hopefully one of our big men can pan out between Barron, and Jordan as well

LJ4ptplay

Starter
1.) Retain Lee's Bird Rights at $10.5 mil

2.) Sign Rudy Gay at $13 mil

3.) Sign Tyrus Thomas at $6 mil

4.) Sign Steve Blake at $4 mil

5.) Trade Curry + Chandler to Golden State for Biedrens + sign-and-trade of Anthony Morrow

6). Now sign Lee at $12 mil

PG-Blake
SG-Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

bench = Douglas, Morrow, Thomas, Walker, Barron

Can go small/quick when need offense with:
PG-Blake
SG-Morrow
SF-Gay
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

Or defensive with:
PG-Douglas
SG-Walker
SF-Gay
PF-Thomas
C-Biedrens

Paul1355

All Star
1.) Retain Lee's Bird Rights at $10.5 mil

2.) Sign Rudy Gay at $13 mil

3.) Sign Tyrus Thomas at $6 mil

4.) Sign Steve Blake at $4 mil

5.) Trade Curry + Chandler to Golden State for Biedrens + sign-and-trade of Anthony Morrow

6). Now sign Lee at $12 mil

PG-Blake
SG-Gay
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Biedrens

bench = Douglas, Morrow, Thomas, Walker, Barron

Can go small/quick when need offense with:
PG-Blake
SG-Morrow
SF-Gay
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

Or defensive with:
PG-Douglas
SG-Walker
SF-Gay
PF-Thomas
C-Biedrens
Tyrus thomas accepted his player option or the bobcats accepted the team option...im not sure what option it was but Thomas is locked in with CHarlotte for one more year...sorry

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Tyrus thomas accepted his player option or the bobcats accepted the team option...im not sure what option it was but Thomas is locked in with CHarlotte for one more year...sorry

When did this happen?

All I've seen is that Charlotte has extended the qualifying offer to Thomas. That doesn't mean he's signed. It only makes him a restricted free agent and allows Charlotte to match any offer.

He's still a free agent, as far as I can tell, and can go anywhere he wants, if Charlotte doesn't match.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
Tyrus Thomas hasnt signed a dotted line yet, frankly he has no reason to. The bobcats made their qualifying offer of i believe 6.1 mil. He will see if he can get more as a FA. He is a slightly undersized PF though at 6-8 in shoes, I don't get why everyone here things he is a C.

knicksin60

Starter
True that.

And how on earth are you gonna give Roddick $7M!? Bill Walker at $1.5M is 137498361841 times better. The kid can hit the 3! Is it only me who watched him play?

Haywood deserves MLE kind of cash, probably less. Mike D will never add a player like Haywood anyway.

Livingston at $4M is ridiculous as well. A solid end of season stint is worth no more than $1.5-2M, as with Barron.

I agree, giving Reddick and Livingston that kind of money would be very similar to the awful Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley trades.If the Knicks acquired those two players they would be no better than they were before Randolph and Crawford were traded.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Try to sucker the T-wolves into taking Eddy Curry to relief their capspace for Al jefferson. Sign Parker and Melo in 2011. Don't want JJ unless he brings in LeBron.

Plan B:
Parker/Douglas
Chandler/Routins
Gallo/Walker/Fields
Melo
Jefferson