Nuggets Want To Deal Carmelo To Nets, Kings Or Wolves

Paul1355

All Star
melo would only resign with the Nets, Clippers, or Knicks...with the Knicks being the best, Nets 2nd and Clips 3rd if they don't trade too much for Melo.

I still think Melo can just say, "make me a Knick or no team will trade with you" and he can be a Knick....get three or four teams involved

Ewing33Swisher

Benchwarmer
If first round picks mean everything to teams like the Nuggets, why can't the Knicks just trade Gallo and Randolph for two first rounders and then trade the picks to Denver for Anthony?

that might not be the best route... Trading our future for Melo would not be smart. It's not the end of the world without Melo, we have a good up and coming team that's for the most part very young and athletic! :)

petescud

Starter
I'd love to see Melo as a Knick but the tax thing in NY might be scaring him away. Thats a lot of $$$ when you make his $$$

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I find it funny that baseball analysts are saying that the Dodgers will let the White Sox straight up claim Manny and not look for any compensation because they don't want to try to work a trade and let. Manny. take. contol. of. the. situation. with. his. NTC. But when it comes to Melo being able to force teams to back out of a trade (or blocking/vetoing it like a NTC) by not signing the extension and not guaranteeing his services for more than one season...suddenly it's not a similar situation because random people proclaim it's not. According to people on here, he has no control, even though he can use the extension like a NTC and block trades...he's powerless. Surely he can't attempt to veto every single trade offered until the team he wants to go to makes an offer or he walks.

And while there's some uncertainty about the new CBA, people are acting like they've never heard of unions negotiating on the behalf of their members. The NBAPA isn't gonna let the owners take huge chunks of money out of the players' pockets. Hell they were fighting like hell to make sure that Washington couldn't walk away from Arenas' contract when he was suspended. But suddenly they're gonna give in and say "ok, cut salaries buy about $5mil?" Nah. The new max deal isn't gonna go down to $10mil, there will be a lockout before that happens.

The main issue with the new CBA will be contract length, not contract worth. And owners want more control over the situation, and not get stuck under lengthy expensive deals. And I'm sure they want more control over keeping their FA eligible stars. It gets expensive to have to sit back and wait while a fully guaranteed 5-6 year max deal runs out so you can make a move (that's why you obviously have salary dumping ...but even that can be costly if your building efforts don't pan out and you have a sub par team.) Players want to keep their high salaries and option years, owners want to keep star players around but also not get stuck with long bad deals for bad players (we know a thing or two about that.)

Owners are going to want to wrestle some control away from players: non-guaranteed contracts, less years on a max deal (if contracts remain guaranteed...which they in all likelyhood will) take away player options, lower annual increases, etc. The NBAPA will not let them take away guaranteed deals, and they'll negotiate everything else.

So the only threat to Melo with the new CBA is the uncertainty. But the max contract isn't gonna go from roughly $14-16mil in the first season, down to $9-10. That's when the union says "**** this, lockout." And if that's the case, it doesn't matter what deal Melo has because there won't be any basketball for at least a season.

Seenin

Rookie
Nets: Would likely have to give up Lopez and Favors, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Kings: Would likely have to give up Casspi and Evans, thus no chance at winning with just Carmelo.

Wolves: LOL.

That is all.

I agree Twolves is very unlikely and even laughable. But the wolves have a very nice core of young players with alot of potential. And with the addition of Rubio next year things could get very interesting. Ricky will be dawning a wolf uni.:agreed:

Blumatic

Rotation player
Igudola is the same player as Chandler.

I think people are misunderstanding what Melo is really about. And that he is clutch. Its Kobe, Melo, and Wade when it comes to clutch shoot. Remember the epic game last year with Nuggets vs Cavs. To me, that was the game of the year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6eqP_y9kw

Melo can pass when he wants to. Jordan had that same criticism through his young career and didn't become the passer we know him to be until the 1991 Finals.

Kobe had that knock on him too. Now he's the man.

Gallo can hit a big shot but he is not as clutch as Melo.

It would be nice to have a player like Melo to get us out of any offensive dry spells we have. In D'antoni's system he would love to feed Amare.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Why are we going nuts over Melo? Gallo + Randolph > Melo.

Melo is a great scorer. But Gallo is a better defender. Randolph has the potential to be one of the best big men in the league. Melo, for the most part, has choked in the playoffs, except for that one year where they made it to the conference finals, but I would attribute that more to Billups than Melo.

Adding Melo to this roster would be great but giving up Gallo + Randolph + multiple picks + ??? is too much.

Lets move on. The best thing is to wait. If he goes to NJ, then so be it. I would much rather keep our young pieces, draft picks and cap flexibility. Adding a very good SG would make this team better than gutting the team for Melo.

And another thing. Denver doesn't have to do anything. If Melo is really stressed out about the new CBA and wants his money, then Denver has the upper hand.

Denver has much more power in this than all of you seem to think. Melo can't just demand where he wants to go. If he does, Denver can refuse. If Melo refuses a trade offer then Denver can threaten to not trade him and Melo stands to lose a lot of money. There is no way he gets $65 mil next year with the new CBA.

C'mon seriously, even with a new CBA Melo will still be filthy rich. He's a top tier player and will get max dollars no matter what. Your making it seem like $65 mil will be reduced to $35 mil. It most likely won't be that rediculous.

nyk_nyk

All Star
No, this is about the fantasy that we will be able to trade Curry + Chandler + a 2014 pick and get Melo in return. That is not going to happen. It is going to take a lot more, because denver has more power than you think. It's simple.

I hear what your saying about out proposed trade. It's very lopsided and not worth much to Denver to replace a player like Melo. In fact, if that went down it would be as bad as the Gasol to LA trade.

I do disagree with you thinking DEN has more power than we think. The only power they have is either A)not trade him, or B)trade him to a team not on his list (this is conditional since no team wants to give up assets for a 1 year rental).

Whoever DEN feels is a good trade partner doesn't matter because the other team will want an assurance that Melo signs the extension before the trade is executed. Advantage = Melo

All this talk about Melo losing millions in the new CBA is exaggerated. He'll probably get a little less per year but he'll still be one of the highest paid.

DEN can not afford to be stubborn and let this linger throughout the season. Losing Melo sets them back a couple years, so losing him for nothing would be even worse. No matter how slighted they feel about his demands, they have to decide whether they want to gamble on losing him or at least getting something back in return. They are never going to get equal talent back anyway.

Whoever thinks MIN is a possibility needs to get their head examined. Why the fack would he go from DEN to MIN???????? Defeats the whole purpose.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I find it funny that baseball analysts are saying that the Dodgers will let the White Sox straight up claim Manny and not look for any compensation because they don't want to try to work a trade and let. Manny. take. contol. of. the. situation. with. his. NTC. But when it comes to Melo being able to force teams to back out of a trade (or blocking/vetoing it like a NTC) by not signing the extension and not guaranteeing his services for more than one season...suddenly it's not a similar situation because random people proclaim it's not. According to people on here, he has no control, even though he can use the extension like a NTC and block trades...he's powerless. Surely he can't attempt to veto every single trade offered until the team he wants to go to makes an offer or he walks.

And while there's some uncertainty about the new CBA, people are acting like they've never heard of unions negotiating on the behalf of their members. The NBAPA isn't gonna let the owners take huge chunks of money out of the players' pockets. Hell they were fighting like hell to make sure that Washington couldn't walk away from Arenas' contract when he was suspended. But suddenly they're gonna give in and say "ok, cut salaries buy about $5mil?" Nah. The new max deal isn't gonna go down to $10mil, there will be a lockout before that happens.

The main issue with the new CBA will be contract length, not contract worth. And owners want more control over the situation, and not get stuck under lengthy expensive deals. And I'm sure they want more control over keeping their FA eligible stars. It gets expensive to have to sit back and wait while a fully guaranteed 5-6 year max deal runs out so you can make a move (that's why you obviously have salary dumping ...but even that can be costly if your building efforts don't pan out and you have a sub par team.) Players want to keep their high salaries and option years, owners want to keep star players around but also not get stuck with long bad deals for bad players (we know a thing or two about that.)

Owners are going to want to wrestle some control away from players: non-guaranteed contracts, less years on a max deal (if contracts remain guaranteed...which they in all likelyhood will) take away player options, lower annual increases, etc. The NBAPA will not let them take away guaranteed deals, and they'll negotiate everything else.

So the only threat to Melo with the new CBA is the uncertainty. But the max contract isn't gonna go from roughly $14-16mil in the first season, down to $9-10. That's when the union says "**** this, lockout." And if that's the case, it doesn't matter what deal Melo has because there won't be any basketball for at least a season.

I never said Melo didn't have any power. He has a lot. But you are saying Denver has zero power and MUST do whatever Melo demands. That is simply not true. All I've been saying is that Denver has more power than you think.

You guys are just telling yourself this because you hope Melo will come here without us giving up much. Denver is not going to trade Melo for Chandler, Curry and a 2014 pick. Sorry, it just isn't going to heapen. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, but it's not happening.

C'mon seriously, even with a new CBA Melo will still be filthy rich. He's a top tier player and will get max dollars no matter what. Your making it seem like $65 mil will be reduced to $35 mil. It most likely won't be that rediculous.

If Melo doesn't care about the new CBA, then why is he so adamant about being traded now and signing an extension? He's a free agent next year and could go anywhere he wants. If the new CBA wasn't important, he would just wait until free agency.

Everybody knows he will be filthy rich. But don't act like a few million doesn't matter. Over the life of a 5 year contract he could stand to lose around $15-20 mil. I'm sure he cares.

If you guys want to tell yourselves that we will get Melo for practically nothing, go ahead. I'm just trying to bring a little reality into the discussion. Melo will cost us Gallo + Randolph. And that is not worth it to me.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'm going to need someone to find the post where I say it'll take Curry, Chandler, and our 2014 pick. You keep hanging your hat on the "it's going to take a lot more than that, so keep believing that if you want to" when you're putting words in my mouth. You don't know what I believe it will take so I don't know why you keep going back to that. All I'm saying is he can force his way here, and by the very essence of him forcing Denver's hand (if they're adamant in trading him) then the leverage goes to the team they're trading him too. If you're playing poker and you have a good read on your opponent and you're sure you have the better hand, they're at your mercy. If Denver doesn't want to accept whatever deal we throw at them, and Melo is willing to walk...well they get nothing...which they already said they didn't want happening.

And I think Melo's situation with the extension has every bit to do with the same reason why some FAs will prefer a sign-and-trade over signing a fresh deal. Their Bird Rights. You know that a player can get more money from the team that holds their Bird Rights. Those rights transfer in a trade (only if they're not Early Bird Rights, which don't transfer in trade.) So no matter what happens, Melo can get an extension from whatever team he's traded to worth more than an unrestricted FA max deal....this can all happen this season before the CBA. BUT if he's traded to...lets say the T'Wolves...does he want that extension on a team that's years away from contending? Probably Not. How does he control where his destination is? By not signing any sort of extension with anyone and forcing Denver (who he knows won't let him walk for nothing) to trade him to a team he wants to go to (not necessarily the Knicks, but still his choice.)

Denver showed their cards to early by letting the world know that they can't afford to let him walk for nothing, now it's a game of chicken to see who blinks first. The 26 year-old Multi-millionaire who's guaranteed to get another max-type contract, or the organization that doesn't want to lose him with no compensation?

Melo can sign his extension no matter where he's traded, he has Bird Rights and those transfer in a trade from the team he established them with, to the second team. But he can use the threat of not signing the extension and walk for a max deal next year so scare teams away from trading young talent and picks in 2010 for Melo, then losing Melo in 2011 as a FA, thusly being out of young talent, picks, and Melo.

The extension doesn't have to be signed with Denver. But another team will want that to ensure their security. Therefore, he has more power than Denver does. If Denver want to get Lopez and T-Will, and picks, Melo has to say "yes, I'll sign." If Denver wants to get Tyreke, Omri, and picks, Melo has to say "yes, I'll sign" If Denver wants to get Kaman, Gordon, and picks, Melo has to say "yes, I'll sign." If Denver wants to get whoever from the Knicks, Melo has to say "yes, I'll sign." If any one of those teams want to trade for Melo without him signing anything and risk him walking at the end of the season after they already gave up players and picks...well they took a gamble (Washington Redskins w/ McNabb.)

If Melo refuses to sign the extension with 3 or 4 teams before Denver gets to the Knicks, Donnie will say "we know that you can't trade him anywhere else because he's blocking the trade, so listen...this is what we're willing to offer you..." Denver can accept it or decline it. If they decline at this point, it's obvious Melo is trying to force his way to the team and he's going to leave at the end of the year anyway.

There is no scenario where we're giving up both Gallo and Randolph to get him, because when the Nuggets start negotiating with us it's because they're being forced to, because they have no other recourse; Melo has blocked every previous trade and he's forcing their hand. How you don't understand this is mind boggling. We won't be part of the bidding war because Denver didn't send us an invite, but Melo can block all the other trades to force Denver to call us up and listen to our offer.

It's like listing an item on eBay for 7 days...it doesn't sell, and now you either say "screw it" and you don't re-list it, or you come down on the price. When people know you can't get rid of something, they force you to take less than your asking price or you don't sell the item at all.

Simple negotiating strategy and I know Donnie knows all about it, you don't make it to where he is if you don't. I'm sure he's been on both ends of it during his long career.

Nothing more, nothing less. There's no guarantees of anything, but all you can do is put yourself in a position to have an upper hand over your opponent, and Melo can single handedly give that upper hand to any team he chooses. We won't know what his mindset is until official trade offers come in and he either green lights a trade or starts blocking them.

Look, If something doesnt happen with the Nets, Timberwilves, or Kings in the next 2 weeks....Hes holding out for the Knicks or Rockets.

Honestly I dont give a shit if he comes or goes. im not willing to Trade Gallo OR Randolph for the guy.

The Nuggets can ether take what we offer or get ****ed in free agency next year.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The New CBA and Melo

Negotiating the new CBA is likely going to be somewhat ugly. If the media is to be believed, the owners are prepared for a lockout. If there is a lockout, no one gets paid. Although I do not expect it to happen with the NBA, the NHL union restructured existing contracts downward by almost 25% a few years back in order to break a lockout.

It appears more than reasonably clear that maximum salaries are not going up in a new CBA. A maximum salary applies to only a handful of players and the union represents all the players. It is also pretty clear that contract lengths will not increase, or, like the NFL, teams will be able to cut players mid contract with only guaranteed payments in place. Other options such as a hard cap are also problematic. In short, if I were Melo I would expect that a contract under the current CBA will be better by perhaps several million dollars than a contract under the new CBA. But if he waits Melo, will certainly get whatever the max will be under the new CBA. .

Melo will pay a price if he does not extend, but he will be a mega-millionaire in any event. To the extent he wants to win he will not want the team that acquires him to divest itself of the talent needed to win. New York is the perfect place for Melo and LaLa.

I do not know what Melo will do. But I agree with LJ4PtPlay, lets not gut the team for him. Lets wait it out.

Gonna have to side wth LJ on this one. We are going to have to give up a lot for him without gutting the team. Not feelin givin up Gallo and Randolph and curry possibly for monetary purposes. I heard we cant give a first rounder or some reason, so that sucks if true.

I can see giving up one or the other, but both? nah.

My hope is that Melo plays the ultimate power move, by saying the money does not matter. That is probably the only way we get him without getting fleeced. Just a hope tho.

moneyg

Starter
i dont c melo going to any of those teams then signing a extension.

to be totally honest, we can give most as a team of the other four(include houstonand yao status TBD, and still have a good enought team to do damage in the playoffs.

id only offer gallo and curry and 2014 first rounder for him.. other than that... kicks rox.. unless i hear melo signing an extension b4 the trade

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm going to need someone to find the post where I say it'll take Curry, Chandler, and our 2014 pick. You keep hanging your hat on the "it's going to take a lot more than that, so keep believing that if you want to" when you're putting words in my mouth. You don't know what I believe it will take so I don't know why you keep going back to that.

Right here:

We can't compete with the pieces on the Nets, Kings, or Clippers, and still put a good team on the court this year, nor should we try to compete with them. If they decimate their team for one guy, fine. But if Melo forces his way to the Knicks, take advantage of the situation and don't be the dummy that pays full price for an item that's discounted. Once again, if Melo says "Knicks or I walk next year" and we say "Curry, Chandler, 2014 pick, plus whoever not named Amar'e, Felton, Gallo, Randolph, or Turiaf" and Denver turns it down....well they'll watch Melo walk. If they don't want to watch him walk, the deal goes through.

That's the only way we're getting him. Donnie's not going to blow the team up for one guy.

I know what you're saying. You think Denver absolutely must do whatever Melo demands because Melo can determine where he wants to go because of the threat of an extension. I know this. You keep repeating yourself over and over. It's tiring. I disagree.

You keep going under the assumption that the new CBA means nothing to Melo. Obviously it does or else he wouldn't be seeking a new team right now. And since it obviously does, this gives Denver a little leverage. They don't have to accept a crappy offer ofr Melo.

And with the looming CBA, Melo will be more inclined to get a deal done. Or else Melo goes into a lockout with nothing and the possibility of losing $15-20 mil. That doesn't mean he will go to a team he doesn't want but it does mean he will be more willing to go to teams other than the Knicks.

If Melo says I will go to either the Knicks, Rockets or Nets, do you really think Denver will accept the Knicks crappy offer? Hence we would have to increase our offer (gut the team).

I don't know why it is difficult for you to understand this.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Right here:

I know what you're saying. You think Denver absolutely must do whatever Melo demands because Melo can determine where he wants to go because of the threat of an extension. I know this. You keep repeating yourself over and over. It's tiring. I disagree.

You keep going under the assumption that the new CBA means nothing to Melo. Obviously it does or else he wouldn't be seeking a new team right now. And since it obviously does, this gives Denver a little leverage. They don't have to accept a crappy offer ofr Melo.

And with the looming CBA, Melo will be more inclined to get a deal done. Or else Melo goes into a lockout with nothing and the possibility of losing $15-20 mil. That doesn't mean he will go to a team he doesn't want but it does mean he will be more willing to go to teams other than the Knicks.

If Melo says I will go to either the Knicks, Rockets or Nets, do you really think Denver will accept the Knicks crappy offer? Hence we would have to increase our offer (gut the team).

I don't know why it is difficult for you to understand this.

For the record, I said plus whoever else from our roster not named the people I listed. It's going to take more than 3 pieces to get Melo.

Plus you seem to be hanging your hat on the theory that the only reason why Melo wants to be traded as opposed to walking is because of the CBA. But then why did Bosh initially want a sign and trade? Why did Lee agree to a sign and trade to Golden State? Bird Rights = more money. What do you lose if you walk as a free agent? Bird Rights. What transfers in a trade from your first team to your second team? Bird Rights.

If Melo is truly worried about the lockout, why not sign the extension and then demand a trade? He's already under contract so why not extend your contract and still proclaim that you want out? Could it be that if you use the threat of your walk year next year for your current team, and use that same threat for any potential suitors you're traded to, you can control your destiny?

I agree that we could lose him if the Nets or Rockets make a huge offer, or Melo can also say..."hmmm do I want to go to a team that just gutted their team to get me, so I have no chance of contending anytime soon...or should I force Denver to deal with the Knicks who'll have Amar'e, Felton, Gallo and/or Randolph?" The dude isn't an idiot, the mere fact that he's not signing an extension to preserve the threat of his walk year to get out of Denver and dictate where he goes, when he doesn't even have a NTC, shows how crafty he's being. Dude created a NTC out of thin air.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Donnie is not going to get into a bidding war for Melo. He'll put his offer out there, it will be the weakest one, but if Melo wants to go to a team with Amar'e, Felton, Gallo and/or Randolph, he'll block all of the other trades and he'll either make Denver watch him walk, or deal with NYK.

I think you need to read up on what the issues with the CBA negotiations are:

The issue is contract length and not so much money

It's around this time next summer when we'll have a fairly good idea when the 2011-12 basketball season will begin: On time, a little late, or See You In 2012-13.

Owners and players will engage in serious negotiations on the next labor contract in July (assuming they don't settle before then), and history (along with common sense) says the meetings won't be over in a day. Sometime next August is a reasonable time to take the temperature of the talks, where they're headed, and if the NBA is careening toward a work stoppage that would delay if not cancel the season.

Obviously, we all know what they'll be fighting over.

There will be several items on the agenda, and we won't waste any time going from one to the other, or even fretting over who gets the healthiest slice of the revenue pie. But there's one area worth debating, because it reaches the heart and soul of the labor issue: player contracts.

Specifically, contract length.

If he truly wants to play here he can easily play a season in Denver and walk, or they can trade him to another team with no extension, and he'll walk away from that foolish team, and he'll get a new max here. Or he can block every trade, including the Rockets and Nets who won't have much after the trade and force his way to the team that still has a top 5 PF and a good PG.

This is all based on the assumption that he wants to play here. If he does, he'll do anything in his power to ensure that we keep some talent for him to play with along side STAT.

The. only. way. he. plays. for. the. Knicks. this. season. is. if. he. ties. Denver's. hands. and. forces. a. trade. to. the. Knicks. by. blocking. all. other. trades. If. that's. the. case. the. deal. will. not. include. both. Gallo. and. Randolph.

You understand...if the Knicks get him, then there are no other teams bidding for his services for Denver to consider...Melo has eliminated them all. Who the hell are we outbidding to get him? The Knicks have to make their offer, and that's it. If another team weakens themselves for one man, so be it. If Melo starts blocking trades left and right, then you hold steadfast and if your offer is the last one...well you're either getting him or he's staying put. Why in the hell would we then increase the offer to Gallo and Randolph when you can assume that he's probably coming next summer?

We're either getting him on the extreme cheap, getting him as an FA next year, or not getting him at all.

So out of those options, I say wait and get him next year. But if he forces Denver to our doorstep, get him under contract now and let's move forward. But under no circumstance are we trading Gallo and Randolph at all.

I keep saying the same thing because it doesn't seem to be sinking in. There is no opinion about it. Denver doesn't want to deal with us. But if they can't deal with anyone else and they come to us, it's their last resort. If it's their last resort they take whatever we offer or watch him leave. If we obviously didn't feel the need to increase our offer when other teams were making offers and getting them blocked, then we're obviously content with our team and we'll take our chances next summer. If they want to trade Melo for pennies on the dollar to get some sort of compensation, then they'll take the offer that we first extended to them, that's been on the table, while they also took other offers.

This is not rocket science. Yea it's the NBA but it's still a business. I don't know why you think the NBAPA will ever agree to any deal that could cost a player $15-20mil on the life of a contract. Are you pulling numbers out of your ass? The issue the owners have is the amount of money owed to lower tiered players over the lifetime of their long, guaranteed, 5-6 year deals. Take the Griz for example, is Rudy living up to his 5-year $80mil max extension? No? Too ****ing bad, pay him or move his bad contract. Can the Bulls do anything about Deng's deal which has like 4 more years on it? What about the Hornets with Okafor's remaining 4 years? Nah.

That's the main issue with the CBA, I don't get where you figure someone of Melo's talent level and status is losing $15-20mil. Those are numbers you just pulled out of no where and you're hanging your whole argument on something you just made up. The NBA will cease to exist before the Players' Association let's a max contract for Melo's eligibility go from 5-years $100mil to 5-years $80mil.

You're saying that the max contract for a player with 7 years of eligibility will go down to the max contract for a player with 4 years of NBA service? Why the hell would the union ever agree to that?

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
^ Just a quick rebuttal before I have to go. So essentially you think we can trade Curry, Chandler, 2014 pick and scraps (Douglas, Azu, Mason. etc) and get Melo. That is foolish. Denver will not accept that even if Melo states he will only go to the Knicks.

I find it funny that you are lecturing ME about the CBA. I know much more about the CBA than almost everybody on this site.

It has nothing to do with Bird Rights, it has to do with getting an extra year on the contract (more money).

For Melo it has nothing to do with Bird Rights. They already have them. It is a contract extension. They offered him a max extension, which is only 3 years. Melo can get a longer contract if he waits for free agency.

Which is why it is obvious that Melo is worried about the looming lockout and new CBA. He could get a bigger contract in free agency if everything remained the same.

You always seem to assume that Denver absolutely must trade Melo. If Melo says I will only go to the Knicks, and Denver doesn't like the Knicks offer, they don't have to trade him. They can let him walk for nothing and Melo can lose a lot of money. A crappy deal from the Knicks is not better than letting him walk for nothing. And with this, they force Melo to be more open with his choices.

Why do you not understand this? I understand Melo's power. He has a lot. But you keep stating that Denver must do anything Melo wants and they have no power at all in this. That is not true. In the end, they trade Melo. He doesn't trade himself. They are the ones trading and must accept a deal. They can reject any trade they want = power.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Damn, I had a whole wall of text ready and then I came across this article....I'll post that instead.

As the rumor mill starts to churn more heavily about the eventual destination of Carmelo Anthony now that it's accepted he wants out of Denver, there will be conflicting reports. Some will say that the Nuggets don't care a lick about what Carmelo wants and will trade him to whomever they please. These reports will be sourced out of the Nuggets camp or those close to them. Others will say that the Knicks are still in play or that one of his preferred teams is likely. Those, as you can guess, will come from Melo's camp.

It's a cute game, but has little to do with what will actually occur. What's interesting is how this will play out and determining who exactly has leverage in this situation. And that's where the latest tweet from the reliable Sam Amico comes in.

Amico reports the following concerning prospective partners for the Nuggets:

Early word around NBA is Nuggets will try to trade Carmelo to 1 of 3 teams: Wolves, Kings, Nets. In other words, careful what you wish for.
less than a minute ago via web
Sam Amico
SamAmicoNBA

It's very likely that Amico's on the money here. These are the types of teams that the Nuggets will be targeting as trade partners. They're loaded with young talent, draft picks, and a handful of expiring contracts. The Nuggets will get what they want for Melo. Who cares what Melo or CAA has to say about it?

Well, for one, the teams that will be trying to trade for him.

The problem with this tactic lies with the original source of this whole shebang, Melo's extension. As a free agent next summer, the Nuggets were trying to lock down a max extension for Melo. His reticence to sign that extension was the first sign that maybe Anthony wasn't quite as happy as he let on.

It's also that extension that maintains Anthony's leverage. Because those teams do have what the Nuggets want. And the Nuggets certainly have what those teams want... to a degree. They have access to Carmelo Anthony... for a single season. It's Anthony's own control over the subsequent season that will prevent the Nuggets from trading him to whomever they please.

Any team looking to acquire Anthony will want him in an extend-and-trade that locks him up for further seasons. After all, these teams have already established a core of young players, they've done their cap cleaning and draft building. They won't be giving up players with upside and future picks for a one-year rental of Anthony. Which means the Nuggets need him to sign the extension. And Anthony's only likely to do that if he assents to where he's being traded.

Anthony's extension and trade flexibility are inter-connected. The Nuggets don't just have to find a trade partner looking to acquire Melo enough to surrender the pieces they're looking to get back, they have to find a partner attractive enough to Anthony to convince him to commit to the future.

We have three actors in this little play. Anthony and his people wants his extension under the current CBA, and to relocate to a new team that fits the lifestyle which he wants to become accustomed (fame, fortune, and championships), as well as maintain their leverage in negotiations not just for Anthony but future clients. His current team needs to get the pieces they want back for Anthony and maintain their leverage in negotiations with players to not be held hostage by their demands. And his new team wants Carmelo Anthony to make them into a contender, for the next three years and beyond.

The Nets are a prospective partner, because they are relocating to Brooklyn, a market he likely finds attractive. The Kings have two definite stars, but the market isn't really there for him. The Wolves? Um... Darko's fun to hang out with?

But any of these teams have to be able to convince Anthony they have the combination of elements he desires or else they'll only be renting him.

The Nuggets have leverage, that much is clear from the events of the past week. The best scenario is convincing him to stay in Denver, sign the extension and move forward. But that bridge may have already been crossed, then lit on fire. But to act like Carmelo is subject to the whims of the Nuggets ignores not only the realities created by his extension situation, but the new reality of the empowered player that have shifted the NBA so greatly in the past three months.

Carmelo doesn't have to be careful what he wishes for

Pretty much says what I'm saying.

And for the record:

It has nothing to do with Bird Rights, it has to do with getting an extra year on the contract (more money).

They're one in the same dude. A max contract for an unrestricted FA is 5-years...a max contract for a player from a team in possession of his Bird Rights is 6 years...so...

That doesn't directly tie into this situation, because $65mil is the max for Melo in a 3 year extension from a team with his Bird Rights. But if you know so much about the CBA then how come you're essentially telling me that it has nothing to do with Bird Rights...it's all about Bird Rights? Bird Rights = extra year and more $.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Damn, I had a whole wall of text ready and then I came across this article....I'll post that instead.

Carmelo doesn't have to be careful what he wishes for

Pretty much says what I'm saying.

And for the record:

They're one in the same dude. A max contract for an unrestricted FA is 5-years...a max contract for a player from a team in possession of his Bird Rights is 6 years...so...

That doesn't directly tie into this situation, because $65mil is the max for Melo in a 3 year extension from a team with his Bird Rights. But if you know so much about the CBA then how come you're essentially telling me that it has nothing to do with Bird Rights...it's all about Bird Rights? Bird Rights = extra year and more $.

I know exactly what Bird Rights are, and what they mean. You were implying that Melo is forcing a trade because he wants his Bird Rights. That is completely incorrect and implies you know nothing about Bird Rights and their purpose. A team owns a player's Bird Rights until they renounce them. They retain them so they can keep their own players even if they are over the cap. They also allow a team to give an extra year and therefore make it more attractive for a player to stay with his current team. We retained Lee's Bird Rights all throughout free agency. It became a trade chip for us, so we could get something in return, and also get Lee the extra year.

Like I said, Melo has nothing to do with Bird Rights.

Ok. You've posted an article that says exactly what you've said a million times. I KNOW!! YOU DON'T NEED TO KEEP REPEATING EVERYTHING YOU KEEP SAYING!!

I've already acknowledged Melo's power in this. But you refuse to acknowledge Denver's power...at all. Denver doesn't have to trade him. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? I keep asking you this, but you never respond, you keep saying the same thing over and over.

If the Knicks offer a crappy trade, like the one you have suggested. And Melo has said he will only go to the Knicks, Denver can still refuse to trade him. They can suspend him and keep him away from the team until he adjusts his demands.

It's been done many times when a player demands a trade. Marbury, Steven Jackson, are the more recent ones I can remember. Don't think Denver won't do the same. They will. And then Melo goes into free agency with a new CBA and stands to lose a significant amount of money.

This is also why Crawford is demanding a trade. Because of the CBA. But you seem to dismiss it every time. I don't know why. Maybe because you are still living in the fantasy that we will get Melo without having to give up much. Go ahead. I'm done with you.

One question. If Melo has all the power and Denver MUST do whatever Melo demands, why isn't he traded yet?

Blumatic

Rotation player
^ Just a quick rebuttal before I have to go. So essentially you think we can trade Curry, Chandler, 2014 pick and scraps (Douglas, Azu, Mason. etc) and get Melo. That is foolish. Denver will not accept that even if Melo states he will only go to the Knicks.

I find it funny that you are lecturing ME about the CBA. I know much more about the CBA than almost everybody on this site.

For Melo it has nothing to do with Bird Rights. They already have them. It is a contract extension. They offered him a max extension, which is only 3 years. Melo can get a longer contract if he waits for free agency.

Which is why it is obvious that Melo is worried about the looming lockout and new CBA. He could get a bigger contract in free agency if everything remained the same.

You always seem to assume that Denver absolutely must trade Melo. If Melo says I will only go to the Knicks, and Denver doesn't like the Knicks offer, they don't have to trade him. They can let him walk for nothing and Melo can lose a lot of money. A crappy deal from the Knicks is not better than letting him walk for nothing. And with this, they force Melo to be more open with his choices.

Why do you not understand this? I understand Melo's power. He has a lot. But you keep stating that Denver must do anything Melo wants and they have no power at all in this. That is not true. In the end, they trade Melo. He doesn't trade himself. They are the ones trading and must accept a deal. They can reject any trade they want = power.

That's true, but does Denver want that kind of attention during the season. Remember how bad it was with Marbury's situation and how bad that made us look even though Marbury was an idiot. Now Steph wanted to play for his team true. But it came to a point that the Knicks took their sweet time buying steph out or trading him.

If it gets so bad between the two will the Nuggets play him. If he doesn't play why would they waste $17 mil on a player who's not playing.

Secondly I think this is all put in motion in preparation for the new CBA. Melo's camp wants to take a proactive approach. If the CBA is not that bad, Melo will walk, If its terrible then he really has a dilemma.