Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Oklahoma City Thunder 3/13/2021 2:00 pm [Game #39]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

NYK.gif
at.png
OKC.gif

(19-19) -- (16-21)

VenueTVTIME
Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, OKMSG2:00 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksOklahoma City Thunder
Mitchell Robinson - Right hand surgery (OUT)Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - Quad contusion (OUT)
Elfrid Payton - Strained right hamstring (QUEST)Darius Bazley - Left shoulder contusion (QUEST)
Immanuel Quickley - Sore groin (QUEST) (OUT)Darius Miller - Illness (OUT)
Austin Rivers - Birth of child (NWT)George Hill - Thumb injury (OUT)
Derrick Rose - Medical protocols (OUT)Trevor Ariza - Personal reasons (OUT)

Game Preview

Since joining the New York Knicks in early February, Derrick Rose has been a big piece of the Knicks' success.

Without Rose recently, New York has struggled badly, going 1-2 with blowout losses to San Antonio and Milwaukee, the latter Thursday night in the Knicks' return from the All-Star break.

Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau wasn't sure Friday whether Rose, who hasn't played since Feb. 28 due to COVID-19 protocols, would be able to return for Saturday's game against the host Oklahoma City Thunder.

Either way, the Knicks are searching for better play at the point-guard spot.

"Of course, we miss Derrick, but right now we got to fight with what we got," Taj Gibson said. "We have to hold down the fort."

Elfrid Payton and Immanuel Quickley have shared the point guard duties in Rose's absence. They combined to go 7 of 24 from the field in Thursday's 134-101 loss.

The Knicks were 7-3 with Rose in the lineup, coming off the bench in all but three of those games.

"He's missed for sure," Julius Randle said of Rose. "His presence and what he brings to the team is huge for us. Whether he's starting or coming off the bench, he gets us going, playing fast. Whatever it is, we miss his presence. It's tough, but other guys have to step in and step up."

Rose wasn't with the Knicks in their first meeting with the Thunder this season, a 101-89 Thunder win on Jan. 8 in New York. Hamidou Diallo played a big role in that game off the bench for the Thunder, finishing with 23 points and 11 rebounds while Shai Gilgeous-Alexander posted 25 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.

But Diallo's days in Oklahoma City appear done.

ESPN reported Friday that Diallo had been traded to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for forward Svi Mykhailiuk and a 2027 second-round pick.

Rookie Aleksej Pokusevski didn't play a major factor in that game but could Saturday.

In Thursday's 116-108 win over Dallas, Pokusevski played for the Thunder for the first time in more than a month, making his first start and playing a season-high 30 minutes in his return from the G League bubble.

The 7-foot, 190-pound Pokusevski had 14 points on 4-of-11 shooting, with eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks and two turnovers.

"I thought offensively tonight he looked like a guy that had played in NBA games before," Oklahoma City coach Mark Daigneault said after the win. "He just let the game come to him. I thought the shots he took were great shots. He took them in rhythm. The passing, it was simple, but it was really effective."

Thunder point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander said Pokusevski's time in the G League made a big difference.

"Poku is so much more comfortable on the court," Gilgeous-Alexander said. "You can tell. I think going to the G (League) really helped him. His confidence is higher. He's making the right plays in the right spots."

Oklahoma City has won two consecutive games and four of its last six.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Knicks trying to grind one out this afternoon. Trailed by as many as 11 in the 1st quarter. Knicks have since taken over and lead by 8 late in the 3rd quarter.

First time in over 30 years that a Knick has had two triple doubles in a season. Most recent was Mark Jackson.

RJ with 25 points. Quickley and Randle both with 21 points. Knicks lead by 15 with 6 minutes to go.

Great bounce back game for us so far.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out to be a great win! 106-89 Knicks with there 4 minutes to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broadway

All Star
RJ is developing into a really good player. Yep people forget he?s just 20. Literally still a baby

One thing very apparent in the afternoon game. Knits offers the team essentially NOTHING. The defense is out the window, the mythical +/- is out the window, the night and day eye test difference between he and IQ is galactic

PLEASE TRADE HIM BEFORE HE GETS HURT AGAIN!!!

Knicks get a win today but our schedule will be tough going forward

Randle, RJ, and Quickley played like a true big 3 today. It won?t happen every game, but exciting to watch today.

mafra

Legend
It?s baby steps. We are beginning to see that we are a team that consistently beats the ?lesser? opponents but still struggle against the good teams, when they are healthy and playing well. This is understandable....

But, if we are to have a future, our core has to be consistently better against inferior rosters.

Broadway

All Star
It?s baby steps. We are beginning to see that we are a team that consistently beats the ?lesser? opponents but still struggle against the good teams, when they are healthy and playing well. This is understandable....

But, if we are to have a future, our core has to be consistently better against inferior rosters.

I still can?t figure out why Thibs won?t start IQ. One thing the kid needs to get better at is distributing the basketball. He can?t do this being the lead guard off the bench who?s relied on for scoring

If he starts with Randle and RJ with Bullock as an outlet he?ll automatically by default become a better passer and get assists

mafra

Legend
I agree. I don?t understand our infatuation with Frank at PG. dude ain?t a PG. he?s a 3-&-D dude. Let IQ run point and start Frank instead of Bullock.

IQ
RJ
Frank
Randle
Noel

mafra

Legend
26 points, 12 assists and 12 rebounds. It was the second triple-double of the season for Julius, the first Knick to record multiple triple-doubles in a season since Mark Jackson.

Man goes from Bobby Portis to Jukic overnight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Without Shai Gilgeous-Alexander the OKC Thunder will have a hard time winning 30 games this season.
Easy Knick Win !!!

tiger0330

Legend
First time in over 30 years that a Knick has had two triple doubles in a season. Most recent was Mark Jackson.

James Harden has already recorded 9 triple doubles since joining the Nets. Took a Knick 30 years to tie a 2 game triple double mark,talk about unimpressive.

tiger0330

Legend
I still can’t figure out why Thibs won’t start IQ. One thing the kid needs to get better at is distributing the basketball. He can’t do this being the lead guard off the bench who’s relied on for scoring

If he starts with Randle and RJ with Bullock as an outlet he’ll automatically by default become a better passer and get assists

If you start at the moment RJ’s 0-21 stretch from three ended through Thursday’s game in Milwaukee (AKA, from the sixth game of the season until present), RJ is shooting .465/.406/.721 this season.

Imagine the spacing, if IQ starts with RJ, instead of EP.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021/3/13/22329383/knicks-119-thunder-97-rj
I wanted to start IQ at the beginning of the season when it seemed player development would be the priority this season instead of winning but with the Knicks in a playoff chase and looking for a top 4 seed I'm with Thibs in keeping IQ in his 2nd unit role. Let the more experienced Rose and Payton start over IQ.

Eastern conference starting to get a small bit of separation. Philly, Brooklyn, and Milwaukee clearly at the top. Knicks part of a 4-team group separated by 0.5 games for playoff seeds 4 through 7. The next group of teams, including 8th seed and teams just out of playoffs, is another 1.5 to 2.5 games behind.

It?s not much, but if the Knicks can keep up the 0.500 play, they should stay in competition for a mid playoff seed.

mafra

Legend
Beginning to sound like Lonzo Ball to NY a real possibility. NO will trade him at deadline if he tells them he won?t re-sign. He?s a RFA this summer.

His agent was Leon Rose, his dad is known to try to steer kids, and NY was a target for LaMelo.

Ball up to 37% from downtown and RJ up to 40% (pretty much this season), so a backcourt of Ball-RJ can work.

Ball
RJ
Bullock
Randle
Noel/Mitch

Rose, IQ, Burks scoring punch off the bench.

This is a team that might win a playoff round?