Isaiah Thomas 2007 roster or this current collection of misfits?

mafra

Legend
"But by the time Thomas left, the Knicks also had several young players on their roster that are still playing in the NBA: Zach Randolph, Trevor Ariza, Nate Robinson, David Lee, Channing Frye, Matt Barnes and Jamal Crawford. A pretty impressive list. That group didn't win in New York; young teams almost never do. But they weren't together long enough to see what they could become."

----------------

Aldridge, over on nba.com, had a blurb on Knicks rebuilding in NY in his 2013 recap article. I got to this point, when I suddenly felt like puking! Would you trade our roster now ... Today ... For the roster Isaiah Thomas left us in 2007? I think I would.

So, either IT wasn't as terrible as I remember, or Walsh and the current brain trust are even more pathetic than I originally thought.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Pure roster wise? Would this team have a decent coach?

I'm liking the look of that 2007 roster a lot, but I only got back to watching the NBA in 2008, and never was that heavy into it before then.

metrocard

Legend
The Bargnani trade killed us.
Pre Bargnani deal, I'll take this roster.

Now, it's debatable.

I'm just calculating figures on capspace, draft picks and potential to build into the future.

paris401

Starter
The Bargnani trade killed us.
Pre Bargnani deal, I'll take this roster.

Now, it's debatable.

I'm just calculating figures on capspace, draft picks and potential to build into the future.

Toronto's front office must have been high-fivin each other after pawnin mr sofee on to us...

no pick in 14, n can't tell yet about talent coming out in 15... maybe we pick a gem...but even if we do get a MJ, or LeBron, still will take a year/two to blend all the talent... so we are looking at 2016/17... fuk...

metrocard

Legend
Toronto's front office must have been high-fivin each other after pawnin mr sofee on to us...

no pick in 14, n can't tell yet about talent coming out in 15... maybe we pick a gem...but even if we do get a MJ, or LeBron, still will take a year/two to blend all the talent... so we are looking at 2016/17... fuk...

2-3 years seems like an eternity....ugh, this franchise is always taking 2 steps backwards in the worst direction.

paris401

Starter
well at least they are not playin tonite.. we can watch Brooklyn to ring in the new year

happy new year to all...

C- David Lee
PF - Zack Randolph
SF - Channing Frye
SG - Jamal Crawford
PG - Nate Robinson

Bench - Ariza, Barnes

That team, assuming we're talking about their 2013 version, would kill the current Knick squad. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Nate Robinson would destroy Beno Udrih. They'd have some match-up problems with guarding Chandler and Melo, but, overall, the team has better shooters and is more athletic.

Kiyaman

Legend
I recall .. Starters: Nate, Marbury, Lee, Davis, Curry, and 6th Man Trevor Ariza taking us on a 6 game win streak in January 2006.
When Crawful & Q.Brick was out with injury.

I recall .. the 2008 preseason games with Nate, Marbury, and W.Chandler lineup coming off the bench to outscore & dominate every oponent they put in front of them.

What the Knicks been lacking for so long is a veteran-coaching-staff .. the Knicks best veteran coaching-staff all left when JVG quit. That's how Herb Williams got his job as the top assistant head-coach in 2001-2.

Isiah Thomas 2007-8 roster played without effort to get rid of Isiah.
Mike Woodson 2013-14 roster is playing without effort to get rid of Woodson .. this is why owner Dolan made that holiday speech to the Knicks roster of not firing Woodson.

KingCharles34

All Star
Steph Marbury up until 2008 was by far the best point guard we've had since then. A team of the former Knicks players would actually be better now but there'd still be major problems...

Both Lee and Z-bo are better defenders now but neither of them are rim protectors

Crawfords defense is still...well ill put it like this. His last name should be Crawfor

Starburys probably too old now

Its not that the 07 team didnt have talent but they were misfits.

In my opinion the current team is still a little better just because of superstar unstoppable scorer Carmelo Anthony and rim protector Tyson Chandler.

I agree with Metrocard, the Bargnani trade really took away from our current team. And I think Feltons regressing has hurt us alot too. Too many cupcakes, hes a little slower now and somehow he doesnt even shoot as good as he did the past few years

raymond-felton-cupcake_medium.jpg

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Steph Marbury up until 2008 was by far the best point guard we've had since then. A team of the former Knicks players would actually be better now but there'd still be major problems...

Both Lee and Z-bo are better defenders now but neither of them are rim protectors

Crawfords defense is still...well ill put it like this. His last name should be Crawfor

Starburys probably too old now

Its not that the 07 team didnt have talent but they were misfits.

In my opinion the current team is still a little better just because of superstar unstoppable scorer Carmelo Anthony and rim protector Tyson Chandler.

I agree with Metrocard, the Bargnani trade really took away from our current team. And I think Feltons regressing has hurt us alot too. Too many cupcakes, hes a little slower now and somehow he doesnt even shoot as good as he did the past few years

View attachment 433
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Marbury might be in better shape than Felton.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Can't believe people are saying they would prefer a team with Eddy Curry and Zbo over Chandler and Bargnani. Once these knicks get a 10 game stretch injury free, they'll get comfortable and get on a steady win streak.

Replacing Bargnani with Lee is the only great wish I have for this team.

A team consisting of:

1st Unit: (realistic stats)

Prigioni 6/2/9
Shumpert 13/5/4
Melo 28/8/4
Lee 18/11
Chandler 10/10/2/5
--------------

2nd Unit:

Felton 6/3/4
JR 12/3/3
Hardaway 6/3/3
Stouds 10/3
KMart 4/3/

is competitive. The hyperbole and overdramatic reactions and threads are endemic to knicks fans, and something that is laughable.

metrocard

Legend
Can't believe people are saying they would prefer a team with Eddy Curry and Zbo over Chandler and Bargnani. Once these knicks get a 10 game stretch injury free, they'll get comfortable and get on a steady win streak.

Replacing Bargnani with Lee is the only great wish I have for this team.

A team consisting of:

1st Unit: (realistic stats)

Prigioni 6/2/9
Shumpert 13/5/4
Melo 28/8/4
Lee 18/11
Chandler 10/10/2/5
--------------

2nd Unit:

Felton 6/3/4
JR 12/3/3
Hardaway 6/3/3
Stouds 10/3
KMart 4/3/

is competitive. The hyperbole and overdramatic reactions and threads are endemic to knicks fans, and something that is laughable.

Do you understand cap space and draft picks?

Both teams suck.

It's just a matter who has more flexibility to build a great team.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Do you understand cap space and draft picks?

Both teams suck.

It's just a matter who has more flexibility to build a great team.

cheers for the condescending response. I was responding to previous posters comparing the two teams, which to me is ridiculous. We are still in a better situation if you take into account cap space.

in 2015, once Stoudemire and Bargs contracts are off the books, and if we find a way to trade JR Smith, and sign Melo. We are in a prime position to sign one of Love, Rondo, Aldridge, Gasol or Parker (in that order I hope) to add to a core of Melo, Shumpert, Hardaway. Plus we can possible sign Asik or Robin Lopez as mid level.

This could leave us with:

Prig/Felton
Shumpert
Melo
Love
Asik/Lopez