Carmelo to Nets deal within 4"8 hours" (I'm not buying it)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo needs to come clean about what he wants. If this deal falls through because he didn't agree to sign an extension, then he's toying with everybody. He may incur a fine, but it's time for him to publically state what the hell he wants. This is getting ridiculous. He's starting to look bad in all of this.

And if this deal does fall through, Denver will start talking to us. They'll realize they are out of options. It's just a shame NJ, Detroit, Charlotte, Utah, Denver all got played and did all that work while Melo played coy with everyone.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I've changed my stance on this over the last week or so. I still believe that the team would greatly benefit from another go-to guy when Amare plays like he did last night... Or when he's limited due to foul trouble. However, its just as important for us to upgrade the center position and acquire a quality backup pg. If Melo decides on NJ then cool and we move on. I won't bash him at all for his choice because as we all know, the money cannot be overlooked. This is also why we were able to get Amare and Dantoni.

Melo's new agents (CAA) are pushing for NJ because the have yet to get paid off him and it benefits them financially to have him sign as quickly as possible. Add to that DEN not wanting to deal with us and you have an unfavorable position for NYK. The only way this get back on track is if Melo comes out publicly and says he will only sign an extension with NY. Unfortunately, Melo will not do this because then he looks like the villain. He doesn't want to be hated in DEN but that will happen once management tells the fans that they got nickels on the dollar because Melo refused to work with us to at least secure our future.

It?s a lot of PR work in this situation folks.

iSaYughh

Starter
Everyone can kick back and chill. This is next to meaningless.

This laughably, strategically public negotation talk is good, if anything

All this means, at most, is there is a theoretical deal in place where the Gm's are maybe down.

Melo's consent, the singularly important, most consequential thing, and thing that we have in our pocket, isn't even being discussed. No ammendments to the already established reality that he will only sign here.

Shit like this gets talked around nba offices hourly. Only difference is Den and Nj, two rejects in a pod, are leaking it. And the starved, small beasts that are 99% of sports writers are gobbling it up faster than when I give my bulldog a t- bone.

If it went thru, whatev, unlikely shit happens. Lifes a gamble. Melo is a fool. Nj will still suck. We will not.

iSaYughh

Starter
Melo needs to come clean about what he wants. If this deal falls through because he didn't agree to sign an extension, then he's toying with everybody. He may incur a fine, but it's time for him to publically state what the hell he wants. This is getting ridiculous. He's starting to look bad in all of this.

And if this deal does fall through, Denver will start talking to us. They'll realize they are out of options. It's just a shame NJ, Detroit, Charlotte, Utah, Denver all got played and did all that work while Melo played coy with everyone.

Why is it a shame dude? It plays to our advantage if anything. This is a high stakes game for Melo personally, the highest of any one involved. I don't blame him for not explicitly laying out everything. It just weakens his position and potential options by making things more finite. He is playing against Den, its not a solo game for him.

Besides it's a virtual fact he wants to go here n will only sign here. These teams are just doing their thing trying to get a coup and swoop in, and Den trying to trade away from us, likely part spite and wounded ego and wanting 1sts.

iSaYughh

Starter
100%! The Knicks need another big to flank Amare. Since Varejo is out for the season, I would look to Washington who is about to have a fire sale to see if we could land McGee or Blatche or even both.. I know Blatche still has 5 years left on his contract but he might be a good player to help STAT rest a little. Blatche can score and rebound so Amare could shave off some playing time during the season in order to rest those knees! McGee is a decent 5 ( a little bit of a project in my opinion) and could really add that length we need at the 5.

Smh. 100%... Yes, the nets just got us pegged bc they have a lumbering, lost, 7'2' C who has regressed monumentally, and is the worst rebounding big in the game.

You realize Amare is a C? An all star, mvp-like C?

And mcgee isn't being traded unless he cock slaps Blatche at a team meeting.

Getting a complimentary big isn't an issue. This off season along has many, let alone trades.

Either way, you and quiggle are absurd in thinking Nj has some prized asset and position of superiority bc " they have an actual C"

quiggle

Starter
yeah but STAT cant bang bodies look at the way he was thrown around all over Staples last night like a rag doll when put up against size. and he is like putting a kid next to Dwight Howard in Magic game. this is where chunk curry can help but oh well.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Why is it a shame dude? It plays to our advantage if anything. This is a high stakes game for Melo personally, the highest of any one involved. I don't blame him for not explicitly laying out everything. It just weakens his position and potential options by making things more finite. He is playing against Den, its not a solo game for him.

Besides it's a virtual fact he wants to go here n will only sign here. These teams are just doing their thing trying to get a coup and swoop in, and Den trying to trade away from us, likely part spite and wounded ego and wanting 1sts.

Wouldn't Melo coming clean end this whole charade and take away any power Denver has though?

iSaYughh

Starter
Wouldn't Melo coming clean end this whole charade and take away any power Denver has though?

Short answer, I'd say yes. I'm not sure how far that is from were we currently are. Except other teams are trying to swoop in on a longshot right now. And as fans we get hogtied.

It's odd, bc if your proposed situation was 100% the case and it happened, we basically offer Den curry straight up. I mean, we do more bc we want him for a playoff run now so Den needs some return, however modest. But it would be something like Curry + AR.

Den's only power now is swaying Melo. Hope of hopes. They'll try to till the very end no matter what with the same tactics and position.

It would be the ultimate. But I can't hate Melo for not doing it -- yet at least. I think him wanting max time to trade deadline to get as much cba info as he can, consider the huge career move, and weigh the money ramifications is ok.

Nobody has as much personal skin in this as Melo. So I agree it IS a charade, in some sense, where he is stalling.

But its not like he's been toying with US. We are kicking back, compared to NJ and others trying to impede the prima facie fact that Melo will only sign here if push comes to shove. Let's say that's 90% likely. Even 99%. Melo is just getting as much info, cba-related especially, as potentially possible, and come to emotional terms w the 1%/10% doubt that he could lose a lot of money. He has the ability, and I don't fault him for it, and doing so.

If he didn't place a premium on being a Knick, he would be elsewhere right now or locked into DEN. Normally, athletes waffle like this, or even worse; but Melo is in a uniquely complex/riskier spot w the CBA.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah I just realized how bad of a rebounder Brook Lopez is...

He's a worse rebounder than Landry Fields LOL.

Honestly we don't even need a big who can score. All we need is a guy who can grab boards and block a few shots here or there and serve as a big body in the paint and then we'll be good. Like Darko, for example...

iSaYughh

Starter
Yeah I just realized how bad of a rebounder Brook Lopez is...

He's a worse rebounder than Landry Fields LOL.

Honestly we don't even need a big who can score. All we need is a guy who can grab boards and block a few shots here or there and serve as a big body in the paint and then we'll be good. Like Darko, for example...

Worst in the game, arguably, pound4pound. Certainly the worst for his actually.

Felton may have more double digit rebound games when season ends. Lolz.

Ya, I agree 100 and have felt this for a while -- we don't need a great starting C who can do offense and defense. We really just want a really great complimentary big who's forte is D, but has the athletics to keep up in our offense and not hold back tempo much, and in tandem he will get easy inside scoring opportunities.

As long as they don't have hands of stone.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

There is NO WAY a player would publicly speak out in a situation like this. Melo and his people might be leaking stories to the press and kicking down doors but there is no way he would publicly come out and essentially tarnish his reputation; plus I do not think he's allowed by contract too speak out.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Smh ?

If the Nets can bring over Billups and Hamilton to go w Anthony and what they already have, that's pretty good.

It might be enough to convince him to sign the extension w them.

Oh really how so he gonna play with 30+ yr olds for the next 5 years. thats freaking retarded and so are you for suggesting that that would be good for him .....

nuckles2k2

Superstar
It doesn't even seem likely that Billups would even play with Melo on the Nets, should this trade somehow go thru. His agent has said that he would want a buyout if traded to NJ, so you'd either have a pissed off Billups or not have him at all. Another reason why it's unlikely that Melo would green light this thing, especially in early January....there's no reason for him to. He still has a month+ to get what he wants.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
Wtf???

Rip is having the worst year of his career, actually.

He averages 13.5 PPG and only plays about 26 minutes per game, and he doesn't even start anymore, instead playing behind Ben Gordon.

I don't see how that counts as "very good"...that counts more like "OK 6th man"...

This Guy Ron whatever don't know jack......

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
morons

I think his play as of late has to do with his situation in Philly more than he talent diminishing. We have seen this kind of thing time and time again when a player becomes unhappy with the his current team... We saw it with Carter, we saw it with Jason Richardson... These upper level talents seem to get rejuvenated when traded to a team of their better liking..... At least I hope with Iggy! I'm not saying that this Melo thing is a done deal but I think it has become increasing clearer that Denver does not want to trade with NY and unless the amazing Donnie Walsh can pull a rabbit out of his hat (or in our case multiple #1 draft picks); we just might see Melo in a Nets uniform along with Hamilton and Billups.... All of a sudden, NJ would be a contender! (Lopez, Melo, Harrington and Billups)... That's serious!

yo all you are stupid now this guy believs that they would be contenders 1st they gotta jell and thats gonna take a ......nva mind why I bother idk stfu with melo to Jersey if he goes than we know it was all about the Benjamins and you know what I rather have 30 million in the bank than a championship anyday bro Do you know what 30,000,000 USD is SON ????????

welcometonycity

Rotation player
yo all you are stupid now this guy believs that they would be contenders 1st they gotta jell and thats gonna take a ......nva mind why I bother idk stfu with melo to Jersey if he goes than we know it was all about the Benjamins and you know what I rather have 30 million in the bank than a championship anyday bro Do you know what 30,000,000 USD is SON ????????

Your so ignorant. To me your soft cursing ni99as out on a forum. You saying Ron dnt make sense when he comes up with a lot of valid points sometimes. You make no sense, i understand you want Melo to Ny but people are being realistic on here and idk wtf you are saying my son. Every post i read on here has a legitimate arguement and you are just rude and ignorant and make no type of sense. Its not about the money because in 2 years what will Melo be stuck with in Brooklyn? Nobody because Rip and Billups will be long gone, nd homeeater does make a point. That lineup in Nj is lookin sharp if the trade goes through even thogh i doubt it will. If they are not contenders this year it is not because of "gelling" it is because its too late and Nets record sucks. But next year IF this trade goes through i guarentee this team will be a contender.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Oh really how so he gonna play with 30+ yr olds for the next 5 years. thats freaking retarded and so are you for suggesting that that would be good for him .....

Who the fack r you?? Where did this guy come from, sounding all mad??

In case you didn't kno Billups and Rip are winners. They have championship mettle. They're both in their low 30s and have ball left in the tank. I don't care what anyone says, they're still 2 good players that can get it done it the league.

Now I'm not saying Melo would definitely go to NJ. I never said that.

But,

If you put him w Lopez, who is a good, developing, legitimate true center w Billups and Rip, that's 4 pretty good players. Granted, you would need to somehow keep Billups in the fold. That's all i'm saying.

This Guy Ron whatever don't know jack......

Listen I was purely speculating. I'm sry if I ruffled your dreams of having Melo w my silly statements. If I don't know what i'm talkin about then why r you so frustrated. You come on here once a month babble some nonsense and i'm the one that doesn't kno jack?? Smh...

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Lol we on the same page Ron. Fck did this dude come from????????
Reading his post he sounds like hes like anywhere from 12-16 years old.