Report: Steve Kerr waiting on Warriors to make decision on Knicks coaching job

Kiyaman

Legend
TNT commentator Steve Kerr will possibly be doing his last on-air broadcast this weekend before accepting the New York Knicks coaching job.
That is unless the Warriors fire current coach Mark Jackson and dial up Kerr to fill the position.

I guess the Golden State Warriors would get upset if they fire coach Mark Jackson, and Steve Kerr still take the job with the Knicks, plus hire a fired Mark Jackson as the Knicks top assistant coach.

Kerr is likely to make his final decision on the Knicks coaching decision soon after the weekend, according to a New York Post report. He's delayed making the commitment due to his responsibilities for TNT during the playoffs; he's called games every other day and is known for his extensive research in preparation.

Though, if the Warriors are bounced from the playoffs in their Game 7 matchup against the Clippers tonight and Jackson is fired, Kerr's attention could turn toward that opening, instead.

I like Mark Jackson style of coaching, he pushed the Golden State Warriors players above their level of performance two seasons in a row. The Golden State Warriors organization will not look to bright if they fire Mark Jackson.
The Phoenix Suns had a 48 win season, and didnt make the postseason games.
Are Phoenix Suns going to fire coach Hornachek? I doubt it.

tiger0330

Legend
If Jackson gets fired you know it's because they want to bring someone else (Kerr) on board. PJ better hope Mark Jackson keeps his job because it would be a no-brainer for Kerr to take the Warriors job over the Knicks job.

I would expect the Warriors to make a decision quickly with Jackson/Kerr since the Knicks are in hot pursuit of Kerr.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I would prefer Mark Jackson as our coach anyway...Let's see how all this shakes out. Like Stephan A has been saying" what in Steve Kerr's resume makes him qualified to coach the Knicks with no prior coaching experience???"

Kiyaman

Legend
I would prefer Mark Jackson as our coach anyway...Let's see how all this shakes out. Like Stephan A has been saying" what in Steve Kerr's resume makes him qualified to coach the Knicks with no prior coaching experience???"

This was a easy question to answer that Stephan A partner were clueless to answer.

No teams were interested in ex-GM Steve Kerr (part-time announcer) to be their coach until .......

HOF head-coach Phil Jackson became President of the BIG-APPLE, plus had a meeting with Steve Kerr.
The Big-Apple media press went all out on the meeting of Phil & Steve.

Phil Jackson is a winning coach with a 11 championship rings under his belt.
Steve Kerr is a GM, which design a Phoenix Suns team to become the top exciting team to watch in a 6 season span.
Its all good, when u see a winning coach hire a winning GM .. the two belong together on a big-market team.
Although, the two (Jax & Kerr) with Dolan's big $$$ pocket becomes a BIG-threat to the other 29 NBA teams.

tiger0330

Legend
Same could be said about Mark Jackson and JKidd and they both did decent jobs with no coaching experience, what was Stephen A. saying about those guys when GS and the Nets hired them?

Kerr does have the benefit of having played under the 2 best coaches ever, he was a GM and he'll be mentored by PJ, that's a ton more than Kidd and Mark J. had. I'd prefer JVG or an idea that's been floated around about hiring Stan and Jeff as a team but Kerr might work out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Same could be said about Mark Jackson and JKidd and they both did decent jobs with no coaching experience, what was Stephen A. saying about those guys when GS and the Nets hired them?

Kerr does have the benefit of having played under the 2 best coaches ever, he was a GM and he'll be mentored by PJ, that's a ton more than Kidd and Mark J. had. I'd prefer JVG or an idea that's been floated around about hiring Stan and Jeff as a team but Kerr might work out.

How come so many Knicks Fans are still stuck on JVG, after his favoritism coaching in 1999, got our best GM Grunfield Fired, which made Dolan follow the team on every road trip to be at every game to make sure there were no more JVG favoritism coaching with players, which made GM Grunfield roster go on a long winning-streak to make the 8th seed of the playoff .. a 8th seed team that went to the FINALS.
This is why Ernie Grunfield is still a GM today, and JVG hasnt coached in the NBA the past 7 years.
And SVG was kicked out of Miami by Shaq, and then kicked out of Orlando by D.Howard.
The two brother are good PR talkers, but their judgement of players skills are bad, plus they have no coaching tools for younger players.

CoolClyde

what the hell is going on? Golden State have got it in for the Knicks:
taking David Lee when Knicks don't offer him deal after Amar'e.
taking Steph Curry 1 spot in the draft before NY, after Knicks tell the world they want to draft him.
offering Kerr the coach spot after Knicks tell the world they want to hire him.

i don't know what's going thru Kerr's mind; from a personal viewpoint, i think he'd want to stay on the west coast to be with his family and inherit an already powerful team. then again, the opportunity to be in New York City with Phil Jackson and have PJ be his mentor, but dealing with a team that could be in rebuilding mode thanks to Melo's in-decision.

i think the Golden State organization just threw a monkey wrench into Steve Kerr's mind...

and now the Jazz are interested in his services... hmm.

tiger0330

Legend
i think the Golden State organization just threw a monkey wrench into Steve Kerr's mind...
Kerr said the only connection he has with the Knicks is PJ, probably thinks the rest of the Knicks mgt. are a bunch of clowns.

If he adds it up, the Warriors job is much more attractive than the Knicks job, the only thing the Knicks can do is offer a rookie coach a guaranteed 30M 5 year deal which might change Kerr's mind.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Has anybody else ever notice that Kerr seems to be a fan of the Knicks when he commentates? I've noticed this a while ago.

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting point about the Knicks coaching position having less pressure because there are lower expectations than in GS because of the rebuilding roster. Both teams have been a revolving door for coaches so I don't know if the point is valid.

We should know this week if Kerr is taking the job, if he doesn't take the job he'll be interviewing for the GS position before he makes a decision.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kerr said the only connection he has with the Knicks is PJ, probably thinks the rest of the Knicks mgt. are a bunch of clowns.

If he adds it up, the Warriors job is much more attractive than the Knicks job, the only thing the Knicks can do is offer a rookie coach a guaranteed 30M 5 year deal which might change Kerr's mind.

The Knicks job is way more attractive for a rookie-coach being tutored by Phil Jackson, plus being Phil assistant GM.
Taking the Knicks job will be great resume the next 12 years.
Taking Golden State job will lead to going back to being an announcer in 3 to 5 years, will Kerr have a 51 win season with Golden State next season?

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like this is how it's going to shake out. The NY Post rated the GS job the best available but Kerr will reportedly ask for a 30M 5 year guaranteed deal to coach for the Knicks, the Warriors are out of the running for Mr. Kerr.

petescud

Starter
Kerr signed with the Warriors....don't know the details but SVG is doing the Pistons for like 35 mil for 5 years and also manning the GM duties...i think the Pistons did well

Now who does Phil have as an ace in the hole....there are a lot of quality coaches available

tiger0330

Legend
Kerr signed with the Warriors....don't know the details but SVG is doing the Pistons for like 35 mil for 5 years and also manning the GM duties...i think the Pistons did well

Now who does Phil have as an ace in the hole....there are a lot of quality coaches available
Reportedly he got a 5yr 25M deal. Kerr is a logical guy, Knicks were going to pay him the same but the GS job was rated the best opening available for a coach and his daughter goes to school in town. No brainer decision for Kerr to pick the GS job. Like you said there are a lot of good coaches out there. SVG got the Detroit job but I thought JVG is the better coach, all for bringing him back though he's never run the triangle.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow there goes your boy Phil...um um um... Blessing in disguise in my book...Mr Jackson, meet Mr Jackson:) mama there goes that man again:)