Ranking Curry among NBA centers

nyk_nyk

All Star
Last season Curry ranked #2 in scoring among centers. What place would put him on the current top 10 NBA center list?

Everything has to be factored in. Pts, Reb, Blk, FG%...

Yao Ming
Shaq O'Neill
Dwight Howard
Eddie Curry
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Alonzo Mourning
Nenad Kristic
Al Jefferson
Chris Kaman

nyk_nyk

All Star
Last season Curry ranked #2 in scoring among centers. What place would put him on the current top 10 NBA center list?

Yao Ming
Shaq O'Neill
Dwight Howard
Eddie Curry
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Alonzo Mourning
Nenad Kristic
Al Jefferson
Chris Kaman
Yao Ming has replaced Shaq as the best center in the league. He gets better every year.

Shaq is still the diesel but not all the time. He's still better at %80 than most centers at %100.

Howard is so aggressive in the paint and on D. He also rebounds very well.

Curry remains one of the best big men in the low post, but his defensive deficiencies and no rebounds keep him below Howard.

Camby is great on D, rebounding and has a pretty nice jumper... when he's not on the IL. He has trouble guarding bigger centers.

Ilgauskas has a good touch on his jumper and offensively rebounds well. Uses his size well to defend.

Mourning has always been a favorite of mine. Hustle, hustle, hustle. Great patience on D. Doesn't fall for head fakes and keeps the lane clogged. Great help defender. Low stamina (age)

Kristic showed a very good game when he played. He was able to score in variety of ways.

Jefferson has to be recognized as a up and coming force in this league. He's only 22.

I'm replacing Kaman with Ben Wallace.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Curry gets no rebs? he does average 7 a game. Thats not impressive but that not horrible when lee is our best rebounder. U look at every team around the league, the 2nd best rebounder gets about 8 a game. So drop the whole curry and no rebs thing.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Where's Metro? I'd figure he'd be all over this topic. I don't have answer yet. I'd have to see what Curry does this season to answer that question. His first year with the Knicks was with what, Larry Brown as the coach. Can we really count that? Then here comes Thomas with a new strategy so there's a learning curve. Now this coming season there will be no more excuses for Thomas or Curry. At least I wont be making any. This is the moment of truth that will define Curry and Thomas' legacy.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
hmm I think turnovers per game should be a factor too.

1.Shaq+
2.Amare Stoudemire+/-
3.Yao Ming+/-
4.Ben Wallace+
5.Dwight Howard+
6.Marcus Camby+ Pau Gasol C/PF+/-
7.Zydruntius? Ilgauskas+
8.Emeka Okafor C/PF+ 8.Eddy Curry-
9.Memhet Okur+/-
10.Samuel Dalembert+/-

Curry will be top 5 next season.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
hmm I think turnovers per game should be a factor too.

1.Shaq+
2.Amare Stoudemire+/-
3.Yao Ming+/-
4.Ben Wallace+
5.Dwight Howard+
6.Marcus Camby+ Pau Gasol C/PF+/-
7.Zydruntius? Ilgauskas+
8.Emeka Okafor C/PF+ 8.Eddy Curry-
9.Memhet Okur+/-
10.Samuel Dalembert+/-

Curry will be top 5 next season.

yao ming is da best in da league and Z over curry???no way, i wont rate amare that high because he has steve nash, and ben wallace??4?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Yao Ming
Shaq O'Neill
Dwight Howard
Eddie Curry
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Alonzo Mourning
Nenad Kristic
Al Jefferson
Chris Kaman

You know, it's tough to rank Curry properly. On offense I would put him near the top, if not at the top spot. I think any center that demands a triple team when ever he touches the ball speaks volumes about the respect that other centers and coaches give him. His size, strength and agility should make him a dominate center for years. It's what his game is missing that makes him less of a dominate center than he actually should be. How timid he is on defense, not just rebounding but bodying up his opponent forcing his will on them. He should be a bully in the league today. Besides Shaq, there isn't another center with his dimensions in the game today. He needs to get some grit in his game! Maybe it is his age or maybe it is simply just hi game. Whatever the entity is that prevents him from over powering his opponent, that quality that he lacks keeps him lower in the top ten than he really should be.

This is my list just based off this past season

Yao
Howard
Amare ( I don't see how having Nash makes him not as good?)
Shaq ( hurt much of last year)
Camby ( his offense is better than Eddy's D)
Eddy
Chandler ( bottom line Eddy's D is just a little better than his offense)
Ben Wallace ( minor step back last season, probablly bounces back this year)
Bynum
Duncan ( I know he's a power forward, but when inserted at Center he's probably in the top 5, but I rank him this low due to not playing Center all that often)
Chris Kaman ( Similar game to D. Lee, Lee is much more athletic, but Kaman is taller, also took a step back last year, but should have a better season this year.)

Honarable Mention: Emaka Ok. ( I thought he was a PF), Brad Miller, Mourning ( still one of the games best post defenders), and Dalembert

On the rise:
Oden ( bad summer league means nothing)
Bynum ( listed in my top 10 but expect him to improve to a top 5)
Jamal Magloire ( only if he lands in NJ w/ J. Kidd)

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
Here is my list Top 5. Amare is not a center

1. Shaq
2.Yao
3.Howard
4.Camby
5.Curry

Shaq is one of the best players ever. Yao is getting better every year. Howard is dominent on the boards and is an amazing dunker and just a better athlete. Camby is defensive player of the year. And Curry is 5th he has to improve his deffense and passing mostly block shots.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
yao ming is da best in da league and Z over curry???no way, i wont rate amare that high because he has steve nash, and ben wallace??4?

Did you see what I wrote before. EC will be the top five next season, Big Zs Career avg. is 14.5 7.7 and 1.7 blocks a game.Turnovers 2.05N'. Curry is young and will be better then alot of the players I said, but its based on performance now, and in the past.

You're saying that Amare gets his rebounds, with the help of Nash right, and blocks too..COme on, Amare can dunk over Nash he is so athletic, he really came on strong after last years injury. +7 more wins this season then last season when he was not there.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i would put yao on top of shaq for now....yao has a more complete game than oneal....then howard, camby, curry

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
1. Tim Duncan - 4 rings? Check. Greatest center of his generation? Check.
2. Yao - too mechanical to be #1. Maybe after TD retires and he is more fluid on the court.
3. D Howard - can change the game on both ends of the court, needs more range though (should be #2 after next season)
4. Amare - a beast! better defensively than most give him credit for, but can't change the game with defense alone
5. Shaq - waaay past his prime, but can still give it to you in stretches. If he can become 84 - 88 Kareem, could win a few more chips before it's said and done.
6. EC 34 - Defensive holes and offensive awareness keep him from leapfrogging Amare and possibly Yao
7. Camby - Doesn't need plays called for him to contribute, defends, rebounds and hustles with the best
8. Tyson Chandler - Camby with a worse offensive game
9. Ben Wallace - blue collar work ethic, but is becoming less effective with age
10. Okur - the range, the rebounding, if only he wasn't the tin man, could be more of a force

after next season... i think D Howard will pass Yao, since the game comes more naturally to Dwight and because he has shown a killer instinct that Yao is still developing... i think Amare could pass Yao as well, but I doubt he will be better than Dwight when we include rebounding and blokcs into the equation... i think EC could be better than Shaq, Amare and possibly Yao if the jumpshot, offensive awareness and rebounding improve... I think only one of these will happen though, so I expect him to at least be better than Diesel who should continue to decline...

FameMos

Benchwarmer
1. Duncan
2. Yao
3.Howard
4. Bosh
5.Amare
6.Shaq
7. Curry
8. Jefferson
9. Camby
10. Okur

Last edited:

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
guys like bosh and okafor and sometimes amare are put at pf, we never do that with curry so keep that in mind. offensively i would put him at top 3 in the league after yao and amare. overall probably somewhere aroudn 6 or 7.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
guys like bosh and okafor and sometimes amare are put at pf, we never do that with curry so keep that in mind. offensively i would put him at top 3 in the league after yao and amare. overall probably somewhere aroudn 6 or 7.

Bosh plays mostly power forward... that's why i didn't put him in my top 10... Amare is a natural 4, but plays mostly 5... Duncan is a 5 that plays 4... but you're right about EC's rank...

Allen

Benchwarmer
I would rank Shaq, Yao, Wallace, Stoudemire all ahead of Curry. The future is not so bright for Curry because Greg Oden, Al jefferson and Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah will all be better than Curry as well. Curry won't be a top ranked center because there are guys who are better than him and who will be better than him.

By the way I'm looking forward to seeing Greg Oden in the Garden against Curry next year. It should an interesting match up. I'm looking forward to seeing Oden school Curry, blocking everything he tries to throw at him.