No D' in D'Antoni

CoolClyde

Holy crap! The Minnesota game just confirmed how shiddy the Knicks D'fense is, how can we be expected to make the playoffs with no D?
I'm convinced D'Ant has no clue how to play D', wasn't he fired from Phoenix because Steve Kerr wanted to hire an assistant D' coach, and D'Ant couldn't deal with being told what to do? Scoring more than the other guy is just not the answer; the championship Knick teams, the Ewing/Oakley era, Pitino, Riley, Van Gundy all stressed D, I get such a bad feeling from this new regimen. D'Ant getting in D'Lee's face for not guarding Telfair to the hoop just made me mad. Maybe if the Knicks had a real big man, the onus wouldn't be on D'Lee to guard the middle and be a pseudo-center. And guess what, Currysauce is NOT the answer, but probably fits right into the D'Ant scheme of all offense, no D'fense. And Jared Jeffries should not be allowed to shoot! HE SUCKS! D'Antoni is turning into D'a$$hole real fast. How does this Knick team turn it around on the defensive end? How?
:2cents:

King Ewing

Banned
I agree 100%, but we knew that when we signed him. I think he's a good coach, but I didnt like signing when it happened. I wanted a defensive coach that would bring back the old days, instead we got the complete opposite.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Holy crap! The Minnesota game just confirmed how shiddy the Knicks D'fense is, how can we be expected to make the playoffs with no D?
I'm convinced D'Ant has no clue how to play D', wasn't he fired from Phoenix because Steve Kerr wanted to hire an assistant D' coach, and D'Ant couldn't deal with being told what to do? Scoring more than the other guy is just not the answer; the championship Knick teams, the Ewing/Oakley era, Pitino, Riley, Van Gundy all stressed D, I get such a bad feeling from this new regimen. D'Ant getting in D'Lee's face for not guarding Telfair to the hoop just made me mad. Maybe if the Knicks had a real big man, the onus wouldn't be on D'Lee to guard the middle and be a pseudo-center. And guess what, Currysauce is NOT the answer, but probably fits right into the D'Ant scheme of all offense, no D'fense. And Jared Jeffries should not be allowed to shoot! HE SUCKS! D'Antoni is turning into D'a$$hole real fast. How does this Knick team turn it around on the defensive end? How?

Although d'antogny is not going to be on the same defense level with riley or van gundy era he never coached or had good defensive players in phoenix (maybe marion) or here. I think his system can be succesuful with good not necesarly great defense like the aforementioned coaches.

JayJ44

Starter
How can you blame the coach when our players don't play defense? They have not played defense in years under Isiah. He's not the greatest defensive mastermind in the world, but he does emphasize it. He never had the players who play good defense, besides 1 or 2 in phoenix. You can't be so quick to blame the coaches, that seems to be a problem around the league. If they're players will not or cannot play defense, they just won't.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im hapy with D'Antoni the coach, and i think with more defensive players he'll be a good defensive coach

but i wanted the guy with the Celtics, their assistant i forget his name.....he's mad good defensive coach....

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
How can you blame the coach when our players don't play defense? They have not played defense in years under Isiah. He's not the greatest defensive mastermind in the world, but he does emphasize it. He never had the players who play good defense, besides 1 or 2 in phoenix. You can't be so quick to blame the coaches, that seems to be a problem around the league. If they're players will not or cannot play defense, they just won't.

Agreed. I like David Lee but the guy deserved to be yelled at by D'Antoni and so does the entire team. I don't agree with the excuse that he plays poor defense because he plays out of position. He's just not a very good defensive player, maybe its because he's not very agile, strong or just has poor defensive basketball IQ...who knows. He's just not very good defensively. Nate still plays like a retard sometimes. The guy is extremely athletic and talented but he makes such stupid immature mistakes. I use to think that Nate, Lee, and Chandler should be the only players held over from the Isiah era but now I'm not so sure anymore. The Knicks better not overpay Nate and Lee after this season. Even if they play awesome for the rest of the season, they need to show me consistency and do it for an entire season to get the big payday. We need to be fiscally responsible from now on. All the great teams have that in common.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Most of our main guys were career backups before D'Antoni.
What are u blaming D'Antoni for?
We wouldnt even be thinking about playoffs if we didnt have a good coach.

Just look how much talent we lack compared to last year: Randolph, Marbury, Crawford, Curry. Yea, they all have huge bad sides, but on talent, current team is way less talented than last year. And what was the record last year again?

Even Wizards without Arenas got way more talent than us right now. And still we are way ahead of them, because of D'Antoni.

Just relax and try to enjoy these few years till 2010.
2008-2010 Knicks will be the least talented NY team of the decade, and probably wont make playoffs no matter what. But at least they are enjoyable half the time, and we have hope now.
And if D'Antoni and Walsh keep it up, we may actually get to playoffs, just dont blame the coach if we dont.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I wish the Knicks would have signed Patrick Ewing as the head coach and Mark Jackson as an assistant. But they did what they did. I don't like D'Antoni, but I give him credit for trying. The main reason why the Knicks are losing is because they don't have enough talent. The Knicks are 5-12, since trading Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford. Quentin Richardson is a complete scrub, and he shouldn't be starting. David Lee should be playing power forward, not center. Jared Jeffries should be the starting center, since he plays defense. Harrington should be moved to small forward and Chandler should be moved to shooting guard. Nate Robinson should be used off the bench.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
I don't like our game style right now, a team that plays no D has 5/10% of winning a game, and this team simply has no defense, the only guy who puts some effort on D is Jeffries and sometimes Lee, which is pretty much nothing.
I'm tired to see opponents wide open for the 3's and yet, they have 3 or 4 seconds to prepare the shot, because our players simply don't care about it, they just want to have the ball on their hands.
It really annoys me to see this bullshit every game, because it's clear that our coach doesn't care either, so for him, that's all good.
I'd love to have Van Gundy or Riley as head coach, with Ewing and Jackson as assistants, at least we would improve something on defense and the team would gain chemistry and glory.

JayJ44

Starter
I don't like our game style right now, a team that plays no D has 5/10% of winning a game, and this team simply has no defense, the only guy who puts some effort on D is Jeffries and sometimes Lee, which is pretty much nothing.
I'm tired to see opponents wide open for the 3's and yet, they have 3 or 4 seconds to prepare the shot, because our players simply don't care about it, they just want to have the ball on their hands.
It really annoys me to see this bullshit every game, because it's clear that our coach doesn't care either, so for him, that's all good.
I'd love to have Van Gundy or Riley as head coach, with Ewing and Jackson as assistants, at least we would improve something on defense and the team would gain chemistry and glory.

He obviously does care. He spent the entire timeout telling them how to defend the pick and roll. Then Lee completely ignores him, seconds later. Did you see how mad he was after that? D'antoni is preaching defense all the time, even if you choose to ignore that. What's wrong with you people blaming the coach when it is obviously the players' fault? He was winning 50-60 games in Phoenix, and you can't do that without playing defense, even though 90% percent of his players were bad defensively.

New New York

Quiet Storm
You can't be a good defensive team without good defensive players. Dantoni likes players like Diaw,Jefferies, and Duhon for their defensive skills, so the man obvioulsy cares how they play on D.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I wish the Knicks would have signed Patrick Ewing as the head coach and Mark Jackson as an assistant. But they did what they did. I don't like D'Antoni, but I give him credit for trying. The main reason why the Knicks are losing is because they don't have enough talent. The Knicks are 5-12, since trading Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford. Quentin Richardson is a complete scrub, and he shouldn't be starting. David Lee should be playing power forward, not center. Jared Jeffries should be the starting center, since he plays defense. Harrington should be moved to small forward and Chandler should be moved to shooting guard. Nate Robinson should be used off the bench.

The main reason why we made the trade was to gain talent down the road. Plus I dont see our team being that much better with Randolph or Jamal.

I think Donnie Walsh went with the most talented coach. Ewing and Mark Jackson wouldve been nice gestures for the fan base, but, how much would we appreciate them as Knick legends if we had the same amount of wins as The Wizards or The Twolves? Mike Dantoni is a coach that will attract Free Agents down the road while making us competetive now. How much could we have expected from Jackson and Ewing as first year coaches?

we have no game style right now, we have three side kick players and one former back up point guard, throwing in scrubs like tim thomas and jefferies. so balance out a 7 man rotation. this team plays tired every night, and is simply going through the motions. If any one starts bitching about this season going down the tubes then you dont get the plan, no one is going to say we are going to lose ( Don nelson) Mike D is going to be confident and believe in his team, because he is a winning coach. PRoblem is we do not have enough personel to get the job done and donnie walsh plus mike D understand this. Our team is worse than last yr with what we put on the floor. We have no legit three point shooter, we have no center, no legit shooting guard, no bench, and a few tweeners who dont truly understand know or accept their roles on the team, now the attitude is fine, because I see that the players like eachother, but honest to god this was bound to happen.

lets go through it in detail

essentially we traded away zach randolph for tim thomas, and traded away crawford for harrington. therefore we lose a shooting guard, get back two players who play the same role as a sf pf perimeter inconsistant shooting big man in TT and AH.

If you trade your top two scorers for TT and AH ZACH 22 and 12 Craw 20 and 5, you are bound to lose basketball games. THe idea is cap space, salary improvement, draft picks, and WADE LEBRON AMARE BOSH......(who i think is extremely over rated, and we would be making a mistake picking him up I dont think hes built for NEW YORK he can barely win in toronto) and the rest of the 2010 crop. I am still happy as a clown in a three ring circus with our current status, we are dropping dead weight and moving on, and in the process struggles will occur.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
If any one starts bitching about this season going down the tubes then you dont get the plan, no one is going to say we are going to lose ( Don nelson) Mike D is going to be confident and believe in his team, because he is a winning coach. PRoblem is we do not have enough personel to get the job done and donnie walsh plus mike D understand this. Our team is worse than last yr with what we put on the floor.

I am still happy as a clown in a three ring circus with our current status, we are dropping dead weight and moving on, and in the process struggles will occur.

exactly.
I do like what Tim Thomas is doing though. He is no starter at this point, and obviously, in trading Zach basically for TT and 4.25 mil medical exception, we gave up lots of talent to get cap space.

But still, TT is doing better than I expected. Not much of a defender, but he is shooting better than in Clips, and he's not afraid of drawing fouls.
Consider this - the guy is averaging a free throw attempt for 50% of his 2pt attempts. Everyone else with good minutes on our team is between 24-40%. Only Duhon is at enormous 67%.
We need our guys to be tough, not afraid to take charges. Playing tough is pretty much the only way to compensate for lack of talent till 2010.

I say we should add a tough guard for Mobley's exception, who plays D and draws fouls, and we will improve. There were rumours on Delphino to Knicks - he's no savior, but he plays good D, nails 3s, and gets around 50% FTA for his 2pt attempts - and that would increase in D'Antoni offence. Get him or someone similar, and we'll be a better team.

Paul1355

All Star

Knicks D is the worst in the NBA with out a doubt. Just no desire to contest shots and blocking a shot seems like a life long goal for every player on this team. They dont even try on defense, its embarissing. Mike D is the blame for this team not even attempting to put a hand in the others teams faces. Just contest shots, all they have to do and they never do it and they NEVER put defensive pressure on the opposing team.

Dear Mike D,

You can't have a 7 second offense, score over 100 ppg and win/ when your team can't play defense to create steals, fast breaks, and when your team lets the opposing team drive to the basket with ease. Also Mike, since trading Crawford and Randolph, this has been a half court team that passes up easy OPEN mid range shots for the three point shot. Explain this to me without sounding like you belong in a mental institution. Because Mike D, the other team winds up scoring more points then you every time when u dont play defense!

CoolClyde

No D' again vs D'enver

Defense is taught as a team, you can blame individual players for lack of effort, but the team has to know how to react to picks, pick and rolls, how to move their feet, how to contest shots, put their hands up, etc. This is a major flaw in the D'Antoni overall scheme, and I put the major blame on him and Walsh.

This Denver game could have been won, but once again, Dante Jones and Carmelo Hitler (nice 'stache) got to the rim at will and made the Knicks D' look bad as ever. If the Knicks can't hold opponents under 100 pts/game, they stand no chance of making the playoffs, or being considered a contender.

However, I liked the lineup change, with Jeffries and Timmy Tommy making the Knicks a better defensive squad, as long as JJ doesn't take any shots outside of 5 feet.

JRG3

Benchwarmer
The knicks need to learn how to stop the ball and have some pride. they cant let players dunk on them they need to knock them to the floor so players think twice when they drive on the knicks...plus ive noticed the knicks barly do anything on the fast break like they did in the beginning of the year. Tim Thomas for Zack randolf was a horrible trade because Zack was trying on D and was clogging up the paint lol i miss him

Red

TYPE-A
im hapy with D'Antoni the coach, and i think with more defensive players he'll be a good defensive coach

but i wanted the guy with the Celtics, their assistant i forget his name.....he's mad good defensive coach....

Tom Tibideau (sorry for the mis spell) I believe. I've been saying this since forever!!!! I blame the players but it starts with the HeadCoach! You can't possibly think you are a contender if your team can't play "D". I'll give D'Antoni more time to assemble better players but until then why watch? You know the deal! We suck, got a few o.k. players, and are far from respectable. Until that changes maybe with a defensive minded big man...I've seen enuff for my evaluations.

richtree

Rotation player
Yeah , Zach was the one good thing we had....

When they got rid of Zach we offically gave up on this season.....

Zach spread the floor ....

I guess we just have to live with losing the next 2 seasons