Who's the better bball player?

• Melo ALL DAY EVERYDAY

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • *****, you crazy. Durant>>>>>Melo

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
The way I see it, until one of them wins a title, I can't really say one is far superior than the other. Looks like Durant will be losing to Miami with the same score the Knicks lost. Yes Durant is younger and therefore more likely to develop into a champion and hall of famer, however at the moment he is (seemingly) just not ready to compete at that stage. Game on. It's up to Anthony to raise the stakes next season.

+1..... I agree with this post. While I think Durant is slightly better, I think Melo just needs to put 100% effort and focus into Knicks basketball for him to be better than Durant. Just like CA7 said, I think Melo is the more skilled player. :2cents:

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Melo can score on lebron. KD can't. We didn't get into the Finals because Miami BEAT us 4-1. And barring an insane upset Miami is about to beat OKC 4-1. What if OKC played Miami first round? Would KD be in the NBA Finals?

The Western Conference isn't the powerhouse it once was. The Mavericks won it last year but most teams have starters who are going past their prime. Lakers are slowly vanishing. Spurs had a great season this year but in the end they lost to a younger and more talented team in the Thunder. Mavericks are not the same. The Eastern Conference boasts the Bulls, Heat, Celtics (older but still has young talent and a still a great core), and the Pacers and Sixers, although not among the strongest teams (I think we could have easily beat either team in the playoffs) still have a lot of promising young talent.

Also consider this, when Melo was drafted into the Nuggets, the Western Conference was a powerhouse. The Suns, Spurs, Mavericks, and Lakers all were top tier teams back then and I'm not so sure Durant would go as far as he has now.

These are key issues that we need to think about before making a snap decision on who is better.

Personally, I think that KD's only advantage over Carmelo is his work ethic. If Melo put as much time as KD does in the gym and more importantly, with his team, he would be much better than him and be right up there with Lebron. Woodson seems like the type of guy who instills that hard working attitude so hopefully he'll motivate Melo the right way. We'll see next season. :gony:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Work Ethic

Carmelo's work ethic has really changed over the past year, I remember last year watching some NIKE training video that LBJ, CA, D-Wade, CP3, Bosh and a few others took part in. You also remember Melo lifting that monster truck tire to add more upper body strength same way STAT did because they knew they'd be playing more 4 and 5 which is why they both got injured because of carrying excess weight.

Melo will be with LBJ, KD, CP3, D-Wade and KB24 all summer damn near and will really become a better off the ball player, garner some of their work ethic and "Championship" Mentality, not to mention with Rose being out til January and not being back to full strength likely until February, Orlando blowing it up, Atlanta being sub par, Boston undetermined, Indiana deep but lacking an Alpha Male and Philly seemingly unsure of their roster the Knicks should finish 1st or 2nd in the East if we retain everyone.

If Woodson can somehow morph Carmelo from 2009 and April of 2012 with STAT of the 1st half of the 2010 season and our role players(Chandler, Shumpert, Smith, Novak, Jeffries, Fields and Lin) follow suit we can do this

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
The way I see it, until one of them wins a title, I can't really say one is far superior than the other.

Teams win championships not one player. You can't blame Durant if Harden goes 2-10 for two straight games and Ibaka, Perkins are virtually invisible the entire series.

Durant is averaging 30.2 pts on 55 % shooting in finals.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Teams win championships not one player. You can't blame Durant if Harden goes 2-10 for two straight games and Ibaka, Perkins are virtually invisible the entire series.

But ironically you can blame Melo for not having Lin, Shumpert, Baron and STAT all getting hurt. JR being as cold as Rick James, Novak getting shut down easily and the Miami Heat for realizing this and putting 5 guys on Carmelo. Its not like Durant doesn't have Westbrook who's playing out of his mind(both good and bad)

NYNYK

Benchwarmer

But look at when those points are:
? In Game 1, he poured in 17 of his 36 points in the final quarter, shooting 6-for-10 from the floor.
? In Game 2, he scored 16 of his 32 in the fourth, shooting 5-for-9.
? In Game 3, he managed only four of his 25 points at crunch time on 2-for-6 shooting.
? In Game 4, he only took three shots from the floor in the fourth quarter, converting two, and finished with 28 points overall.
(Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bask...rth-quarters-Oklahoma-City-Thunder/55720618/1)

KD is the go to guy when sh*t hits the fan for the thunder. Say what u want about teams winning championships but u look at all the lakers and bulls championship wins and in crunch time Kobe/MJ got the ball and Kobe/MJ delivered. In game 3 he was in foul trouble so I can let that go but not in game 4.
I would rather have my best player score 0 points in the first 3 quarters then win it for them in 4th than kill it for 3 quarters and choke in the 4th.
I won't judge too harshly bc KD still young so he has a lot of room for improvement but it doesn't change the fact that it should be him leading the way in crunch time not Westbrook.

TakMan

Rotation player

Durant is not exempt from blame in this. Yes it is teams that win Championships, however each championship team had at least one person who stands out and takes it upon him to make the difference. The Chicago Bulls won 6 championships between 91 and 98. Care to guess who was missing during the two years where they achieved next to nothing? Nowitzki, Bryant, Shaq, Wade, Bird, Johnson, Thomas, Olajuwon are further examples. The only team I can think of that does not fit this profile is the 2004 Pistons. Durant is not stepping up to the level he has to. Lebron James is killing him. Certainly it is -at the end of the day- a team sport. Even so, this should make Durant's job far easier as OKC are a team who have almost fully gelled due to roster consistency, compared with the ever changing Knicks. I'm not arguing that Durant is not better than Anthony, however until he proves himself at the highest level, and considering Anthony should finally get the chance to show his worth to Knicks fans as next season will be a regular one, this topic will not be as straight forward as many of you think. Anthony has the potential to carry this team. How far that will be depends on the roster, the coach, and his attitude. For now, OKC have not demonstrated much more than the Knicks did vs the Heat. Even Durant's figures vs the Heat are not too different to Anthony's in the equivelant playoff matchup.

Kiyaman

Legend
Durant

Just b/c Im a 50 year Knicks Fan, Im not going to lie to myself.
Durant is a better player, teammate, and team-leader when compared to Melo.

What kind of person would I be if I lied to myself every mourning I look in the mirror?
If u cant trust yourself....u not goin to trust anyone else....family, friends, or your best NBA player.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not arguing that Durant is not better than Anthony, however until he proves himself at the highest level, and considering Anthony should finally get the chance to show his worth to Knicks fans as next season will be a regular one, this topic will not be as straight forward as many of you think. Anthony has the potential to carry this team. How far that will be depends on the roster, the coach, and his attitude. For now, OKC have not demonstrated much more than the Knicks did vs the Heat. Even Durant's figures vs the Heat are not too different to Anthony's in the equivelant playoff matchup.

I dont recall any OKC player getting stitches for breaking the glass on a Fire Extingusher b/c they were shutout of the offense by Durant performance all season.
Durant stats has ball-movement in every Iso-play....as if Durant is the final option....huge-huge difference when u only look at individual stats and disreguard the team-stats.

KD and it's not even that close.

KD was the second best player in the league this season. Melo was barely top 10. Melo has the potential to be an elite player again next season though. Here's hoping.