You Have to Deal Melo AND Amar'e, Then We Can Build Around Lin

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Agreed. I'm not sold on Lin being a franchise player.
I agree Lin is not a franchise player. But my point is, how will we compete with Heat with what we have for the next 3 years?? After the Heat series, it cast more doubts than answers.

Cuban gutted Mavs last year after won the Final for the long term and most of their fans understood that. And look at all the current championship contenders this year, Clippers, OKC, Nuggets. There are lots of similarities:
- built from drafts
- Low salary cap
- long contract with key players.

Those are the teams which will be making runs at the Finals for the years to come. I am not saying Nolan will do what these owners did. Far from it! NYC is like LA; it needs to have its star players to draw money. IMO Knicks gutting the team is so unlikely.

CA7

Scoring Champ
You guys realize Melo and Amar'e aren't doing **** for us?

This is like when we were rationalizing the Francis-Marbury Seasons.

It's messed up, what we have, but we have to go through it again.

I wish Dolan would leave the team alone like he does the rangers.

you've lost your damn mind

Melo and STAT nothing like Marbury/Francis

They got a full training camp ahead of them, lots of potential to build

it starts with devising a system to compliment both and implement everyone on the team

they also need others, better 2 way players at the (1,2,5), too many guys are 1 dimensional and thats why we lost

TakMan

Rotation player
That's what you gotta do.

Look, these guys, perennial bums.

Let's build a team for once. Build it around our Point. Put some team-minded players together.

Get rid of the street ballers.

That's the word.

I sincerely hope the Knicks board has more sense than you do.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
While I don't think it's time to build our team around Lin yet, I believe Lin is already a franchise PG.

a large team such as an American football team might have a few franchise players at different positions. The term may be used alongside a particular position name to describe a player, such as a "franchise quarterback".

Anyway, I just wish we have at least 3 franchise players (like the Heat has) that are able to gel together.

I always believe in a team sport like basketball, one superstar is simply not enough. We want to beat the Heat next year, we need to have our triangle formed as early as possible!

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
We're being way too impatient here. This season was a clusterf**k for us with so many changes going on. How about we wait and see what happens and try to keep as many of these guys as we can? JR will most likely be gone so we need to replace him and I'm still not sure about lin.

Everyone is clamoring for Nash yet they fail to realize he's 38 years old and who knows how much mileage he has left.

I say we keep as many guys as we can and hope we can get lucky with our late 2nd round pick.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
We're being way too impatient here. This season was a clusterf**k for us with so many changes going on. How about we wait and see what happens and try to keep as many of these guys as we can? JR will most likely be gone so we need to replace him and I'm still not sure about lin.

Everyone is clamoring for Nash yet they fail to realize he's 38 years old and who knows how much mileage he has left.

I say we keep as many guys as we can and hope we can get lucky with our late 2nd round pick.

I mean this is the line that is dangerous, the line between patience and admitting mistake. This is some type of fallacy where people with hang on to something that is terrible because they cannot wrap their brains around the possibility that a mistake has been made.

I don't view this as impatience, but smart moves. We have to admit this mistake and correct it.

We were lucky with Lin and we can build around him. I would hire MDA again.

But that won't happen, what will happen is we're going for another 5 mediocre years then more pain and more bad trades.

Prognosis: NEGATIVE

KBlack25

Starter
eb6.jpg

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Just stupid.

I'm looking at the Denver model and how quickly they realized Nene was a mistake. They made moves and kept the ball rolling. Is it crazy to admit that Amar'e or Melo were mistakes?

To be honest, I can't think of a player that would be a good fit around Carmelo. I peg this guy as an Iverson. I'm not going to sit here and give you the standard stuff on Carmelo being supremely talented, we know that. Right now we can cash in on Melo. Probably can't get what we gave up, but we can make a smart move.

Amar'e can be moved, he only has three years left and a lot of game in the tank in the right offense. I'm looking at you, Minny.

KBlack25

Starter
Just stupid.

I'm looking at the Denver model and how quickly they realized Nene was a mistake. They made moves and kept the ball rolling. Is it crazy to admit that Amar'e or Melo were mistakes?

To be honest, I can't think of a player that would be a good fit around Carmelo. I peg this guy as an Iverson. I'm not going to sit here and give you the standard stuff on Carmelo being supremely talented, we know that. Right now we can cash in on Melo. Probably can't get what we gave up, but we can make a smart move.

Amar'e can be moved, he only has three years left and a lot of game in the tank in the right offense. I'm looking at you, Minny.

So we tanked three seasons, traded away every loose piece we had to get two main guys...

To trade them to build around a guy who has had 8 good weeks in the NBA?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
So we tanked three seasons, traded away every loose piece we had to get two main guys...

To trade them to build around a guy who has had 8 good weeks in the NBA?

I think this is a shaky assumption that we have two main guys.

To my mind, we have two guys that are overpayed and overhyped.

Lin balled for only a short time, but he is a better team player than Melo and he is more complete as a baller compared to Amar'e. Lin does everything for you while Amar'e is a one-dimensional piece of paper.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Just because we tanked three seasons for this roster does not mean we made good moves.

It's entirely possible to tank three seasons and make big mistakes that squander the house cleaning. I think this is the situation we are looking at here.

KBlack25

Starter
I think this is a shaky assumption that we have two main guys.

To my mind, we have two guys that are overpayed and overhyped.

Lin balled for only a short time, but he is a better team player than Melo and he is more complete as a baller compared to Amar'e. Lin does everything for you while Amar'e is a one-dimensional piece of paper.

How do you know that?

He had 8 good weeks in the NBA. Melo has a track record of being at least a very good player, same with Amare. Overpaid, maybe. But I am betting on the guy with a track record. Not the guy who has had 8 weeks.

This whole thread is idiotic.

KBlack25

Starter
Just because we tanked three seasons for this roster does not mean we made good moves.

It's entirely possible to tank three seasons and make big mistakes that squander the house cleaning. I think this is the situation we are looking at here.

You're right.

We should rebuild for 3 years to give up on it after 1 lockout-shortened year to build around a guy who has played 8 weeks in the NBA.

Short-sightedness for the win.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
How do you know that?

He had 8 good weeks in the NBA. Melo has a track record of being at least a very good player, same with Amare. Overpaid, maybe. But I am betting on the guy with a track record. Not the guy who has had 8 weeks.

This whole thread is idiotic.

I'm not sure what track record you're talking about.

Maybe the one that has him at the lowest playoffs winning percentage out of ANY player over the last 20 years.

25 points per game is always nice to look at on the stat sheet, but the reality is not so clear. It's possible to be able to drop 25 every night while being a generally terrible basketball player.

Scoring and playing basketball are two different things.

KBlack25

Starter
I'm not sure what track record you're talking about.

Maybe the one that has him at the lowest playoffs winning percentage out of ANY player over the last 20 years.

25 points per game is always nice to look at on the stat sheet, but the reality is not so clear. It's possible to be able to drop 25 every night while being a generally terrible basketball player.

Scoring and playing basketball are two different things.

Nah you're right.

Three max contrats, we should just trade two of them after 66 games and no real off-season to build around a guy with 8 weeks experience.

Give me a break.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
You're right.

We should rebuild for 3 years to give up on it after 1 lockout-shortened year to build around a guy who has played 8 weeks in the NBA.

Short-sightedness for the win.

I would be more inclined to agree with you on this if we were having this conversation last year. But the reality is that we've had 2 playoffs with this team, we're 1-8 over those games, and lockout or not it's still a 66 game season.

This team has been together for a chunk of time that allows us to start making some good observations.

KBlack25

Starter
I would be more inclined to agree with you on this if we were having this conversation last year. But the reality is that we've had 2 playoffs with this team, we're 1-8 over those games, and lockout or not it's still a 66 game season.

This team has been together for a chunk of time that allows us to start making some good observations.

Yep.

You're right.

Let's trade two of our three max contracts and venture into the complete unknown with a guy who has played 8 weeks of NBA basketball and a second round pick who took a solid three steps backwards this season.

This is ****ing idiotic. I'm done with this conversation. It's beyond idiotic and pointless if you actually believe this moronic nonsense.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Nah you're right.

Three max contrats, we should just trade two of them after 66 games and no real off-season to build around a guy with 8 weeks experience.

Give me a break.

To build around is not necessarily to say he is D Rose. But he is an above average player at the most important position in hoops and always improving. That's something you build with, if not around. It's a huge piece of the puzzle while scorers are a dime a dozen.

KBlack25

Starter
To build around is not necessarily to say he is D Rose. But he is an above average player at the most important position in hoops and always improving. That's something you build with, if not around. It's a huge piece of the puzzle while scorers are a dime a dozen.

How do you know he is always improving?

He has had 8 weeks of NBA basketball.

You have no frame of reference, and are now just making stuff up.