I don't like Billiups!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
There I said it! Crucify me if you wish but I simply don't like his game at 35 years of age. He does not facilitate the offense competently, pulls up for too many bad shots and seems to be turning the ball over at an alarming rate. This guy is a champion and future Hall of Famer but to me it looks like one of two things:

1. He has lost his game at the age of 35.
2. His heart is not in it for NYC and he is already looking for the nearest exit back to his hometown for a front office job.

Either way, our offense looks stagnant and Amare has been less effective due to the lack of orchestration coming from the PG position. People thought STAT needed Nash and Felton proved otherwise but STAT does need a pass first PG who is going to allow Amare to finish or give him the ball in his sweet spots.

Billiups will hopefully turn it on in the playoffs and may even win a game or two for us in the post season but as of now Billiups has been a big disappointment and the biggest reason we are struggling.

I like Billups. I feel this team the way it is isn't fit for D'antoni's style of play anyway. We would be in much better shape in a half court setting with the personnel we have. I also notice we barely run any plays outside of pick n roll. I feel the main person at fault is the guy whose running this team from the bench because of his lack of ability to adjust. I don't place a lot of blame on Chauncey.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I like Billups. I feel this team the way it is isn't fit for D'antoni's style of play anyway. We would be in much better shape in a half court setting with the personnel we have. I also notice we barely run any plays outside of pick n roll. I feel the main person at fault is the guy whose running this team from the bench because of his lack of ability to adjust. I don't place a lot of blame on Chauncey.

I agree our roster is more suited for a half court offense and a traditional coach would be more suited but no more talks about D'ant please. There are 40 other threads for that.

BTW, if you listened to JVG last night on ESPN he was agreeing with D'ants style and made specific mention to how he advocates and coached running more towards the end of the game. It was interesting and surprising as my recollection of JVG was that of a half court coach. Then again, Spree and Camby used to dominate on the break so...

I agree our roster is more suited for a half court offense and a traditional coach would be more suited but no more talks about D'ant please. There are 40 other threads for that.

BTW, if you listened to JVG last night on ESPN he was agreeing with D'ants style and made specific mention to how he advocates and coached running more towards the end of the game. It was interesting and surprising as my recollection of JVG was that of a half court coach. Then again, Spree and Camby used to dominate on the break so...

Mark Jackson basically called JVG an idiot when he said this.

Yeah I was tweeting about this yesterday. Scoring PGs dont work if you have two scorers on the team and the PG is looking to bust his scoring nut before getting the ball to them. If you ask me we should have tried to flip Billups and other pieces for Nash and Robin Lopez after we made the Melo deal. We could have walked away with

PG: Nash
SG: Fields
SF: Melo
PF: Amare
C: Lopez

But im not saying Nash is the only PG that works. we just need a past first PG who drives inside and draws D, and one that can run the Pick N Roll. I wish there was some way we could get Ricky Rubio......The General.....

KingCharles34

All Star
So can we all agree that Felton was/would still be a better fit for this knicks team then Billups?

My biggest problem with Billups is that i think his defense has fallen off the past few years. I do think that eventually he'll start to make better decisions but we would be a better team if we still had felton running the point

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
So can we all agree that Felton was/would still be a better fit for this knicks team then Billups?

My biggest problem with Billups is that i think his defense has fallen off the past few years. I do think that eventually he'll start to make better decisions but we would be a better team if we still had felton running the point

Agreed, I miss Felton.

Yeah I was tweeting about this yesterday. Scoring PGs dont work if you have two scorers on the team and the PG is looking to bust his scoring nut before getting the ball to them. If you ask me we should have tried to flip Billups and other pieces for Nash and Robin Lopez after we made the Melo deal. We could have walked away with

PG: Nash
SG: Fields
SF: Melo
PF: Amare
C: Lopez

But im not saying Nash is the only PG that works. we just need a past first PG who drives inside and draws D, and one that can run the Pick N Roll. I wish there was some way we could get Ricky Rubio......The General.....
Its a sad day when your coach can't adjust to the players he has.. I'm not tryna turn this into a Dantoni thread, but It's lame that we have to have Nash in order to make this system work instead of making adjustments to the gameplan and personnel.

p0nder

Starter
I like what billups is capable of, I think right now he is trying to do too much. There's too much pressure on him to get melo and this offense clicking. These guys need to start letting the game come to them. All of them.

A nice big win against the bucks tomorrow could right this ship. I think they all need to relax and have more fun out on the court, too much thinking and over analyzing right now. A big win would have the guys laughing on the bench again like in the first couple of games of this new team. We all remember the picture of the melo cracking jokes on the bench. that's what we need to get back to.

Can we get back on topic please. Billiups has been underwhelming and a major reason for our struggles.

I agree. Billups is what he is though. Used properly he could excel. Used improperly what you've been seeing is what you get.

Look I think the Knicks have the pieces in place to make an extended run in the playoffs, if the play the type of basketball thats necessary.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Either way, our offense looks stagnant and Amare has been less effective due to the lack of orchestration coming from the PG position.

It's the coach's job to get this right. He can easily develop plays (other than the pick and roll) to correct this issue. Or can't he?

I agree CB has been having way too many turnovers, but amare not getting the ball where he needs it should be noticed and corrected by the coach and his staff. Unfortunately we have a bunch of idiots as coaches.

There I said it!

Its a sad day when your coach can't adjust to the players he has.. I'm not tryna turn this into a Dantoni thread, but It's lame that we have to have Nash in order to make this system work instead of making adjustments to the gameplan and personnel.
Yeah I know. Im kinda hoping we get Jeff Van Gundy back...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The anti-dant rants are pathological at this point! Can't we have ONE thread that stays on topic and does not become a venue for emotional outbursts about our coach!?

KingCharles34

All Star
I think we need to play as a team, as if we have no real point guard. Theres other players that can make plays besides billups like Carmello (Great job last night) and Amare :)barf: @ last night)

If u look at the Celtics, its almost like they have a bunch of role players. They're not concerned with who the stars gonna be on a given night, just try to get the best shot on every possession. Thats how the Knicks need to play. Billups can get his 3 or 4 assists, not really a big deal that hes not gettin 8 as long as Melo can add in 3 or 4, Stat can add 2 or 3 and same with Fields. Then we got Douglas off the bench that can add a few more. Teamball....if the Knicks played as a team they would be just a step below the elites (Bos, Chi, Mia, Orl). Instead we're struggling to hold down 7th place, after already losing 6th