• Total voters

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
*Cracks Knuckles

*Clears throat

*Inserts face palm

tumblr_m6px43Jdwt1ranhnao1_250.gif

Lowry>>>LIN

Lowry has improved EVERY YEAR and was on the verge of having a breakout year last season UNTIL he had his stomach virus and groin injury. Lowry averaged 15.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, 7.6 assists PER GAME before the All-star break. The second half of the season his numbers came down when he started losing playing time. So how is Lin better than Lowry? Lowry was doing all that while also having to share time with Dragic who is a damn good PG himself... one can argue the Rockets had a pretty good balanced roster... and Lowry still put up those numbers? Lowry was straight beastin before his injury and was LIGHTS OUT behind the arc. Ontop of that Lowry had issues with his coach who was throwing his name in trade rumors.

LIN? you know why Lin numbers were impressive? because MELO was hurt and Stat was also having issues. So who had the ball? Lin had the ball, Lin was in control, Lin did the scoring, it was all about Lin. Lin got most of his Assit running pick and roll with Chandler who is FLAT OUT, HANDS DOWN better than any center the rockets had, and from Novak who is clearly a better shooter than any player the rockets have.

Lin's numbers died down, not just because Carmelo's presence was on the floor but because teams started FIGURING out his game.. the scouting reports were out we saw Lin struggle, turned the ball over, was exposed that he cant go left, and the Heat showed us if ya apply some hard full court pressure on the kid.. he's going to struggle even more. Lin proved he still has a long way to go before he can dominate games.

Lowry... teams know what to expect from Lowry, and he still goes out there and balls and puts up his numbers. Lin has YET to reach that level.... which is why alot of people still OVERRATE Lin, your still stuck in the Linsanity Era when nobody knew who he was or what to expect from him...News Flash my friends next season Players will exactly know who Lin is and will make the necessary Defensive adjustment to guard him, only this time it'll be much more easier since there is no Carmelo or Amare to have to worry about... unless you think ASIK will terrify the opponent

Lowry is not MUCH better than Lin, they are arguably in the SAME talent range, but Lowry is more POLISHED than Lin and you know what your getting from Lowry... Lin is still a mystery, i cant wait to see how Lin does going head to head against them Western conference PG's and those western conference teams who are way more tougher than these eastern conference teams. This season is going to the season for Lin to really prove himself.. the scouting reports are out and believe me it's going to be MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher for Lin.. since he's the "GUY" on his team. There's not going to be any Melo's or Chandler's or Amare's to pass the ball to when he struggles no more pick and rolls with Chandler. Lin's going to put up numbers just because he's going to be expected to but the rockets aren't going anywhere in reality.

Eventually will Lin be an Elite player in this league? perhaps!! is he right now? NO, he's an average PG that still needs to improve.. please spare me on how he's better than Lowry they are arguably in the same boat (Lin's just more popular)

Lin did all the scoring and the team did all the winning WITHOUT MELO and STAT. Yes, you can take that to the bank.

tiger0330

Legend
Admit it CC.

Lin did the one thing he could to f*ck this up. Everyone and their mother knew our intentions, it was no big secret.

But not everyone knew Lins intentons. His actions speak volumes.

Dummies will paint it as "he's just exercising his rights, blah, blah..."

But the truth is in the details. This isn't about a player who we tried to swindle and low-ball, so he bounced due to unappreciation.

This is about a player who let the "linsanity" go to his head and thought of the only way he could get out of the lime-light.

He tried to bite the hand that fed him. This is about principles. Your owner is your boss. This team however successful we were, was due to the "TEAM", and that includes everyone and D'Antoni.

Lin miscalculated in that aspect. He would've been a starter here also, so it wasn= that. And he only got 4mil more.

But he thought we valued Linsanity over winning. That we can't possibly pass on the spectical. He was wrong. And ultimately he pays for his gambles.

Why couldn't sign the first deal? You say it wasn't enough, I say it was more than enough.

Why couldn't he return with the 2nd offer to see our position, which obviously we would have said its a bit back-loaded?

Nope. He saw the numbers (which aren't all that much more than the 1st contract) and felt they were worth "Linsanity", without any warning he signed. That tells me "Linsanity" means more than winning to him.

And isn't this the big question with athletes?
Sign to a contender, but take less for the opportunity to win -or-
Sign to a loser, get more money with less chances of winning.

The choice is simple... Money vs Winning.

If you can't have both, then which one?

Lin chose money over wins. Case closed. Not a true fighter. Not a true Knick. An Asian dude who took the highest offer while he could.

I can't blame him, but I like many know he doesn't have that desire. And for that I praise Dolan. His actions provided a situation to take Linsanity out the picture and see if Jeremy wants to win...

He didn't.
Come on Red, you say you don't blame Lin for taking the money but this long post sounds like a rant against the kid.

This was a kid that went undrafted and was making minimum money in the league, sleeping on his brother's couch and was tossed around like a Hefty garbage bag of trash by 3 teams, who is going to blame him for taking the money.

He's been shown the business side of the NBA for a couple of years now, getting cut to make cap room for players his former teams wanted. He was just using the same system as teams were using with him.

I don't blame the Knicks, when I heard he would cost them 57M in that 3rd year, I said to myself he's gone. I can remember players getting cut under the old CBA when the 1:1 luxury tax would double a players salary if a team was over the threshold, so the the Knicks made the right decision.

Lin did the right thing for himself. He ain't Rashard Lewis collecting 14M from NO and a min contract from Miami or BD with the Knicks last year getting paid by two teams.

I was also listening to JVG on the radio and he was asked about JR Smith saying Lin's contract would cause problems in the locker room. JVG said he was very surprised by that because players generally are happy for any player that gets a big contract. Which leads me to believe that a lot of the crap that's said about the kid is because he is Asian.

clumsy

Rotation player
The more i think about this, the more I think Dolan is a retard. That 15 mil expiring contract could have helped us get someone like Chris Paul in the 3rd year. Expirings are so important in this salary cap era....

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Look, no matter how i look at this problem Dolan is still a clown. If Dolan really wanted to keep Lin he should have given him a contract at the start of the FA. Instead he pushed him to shop himself and promised he will match any offer up to $1 BILLION!

ONE BILLION?? That's a pretty bold statement, so if i was Lin i would have done the same, selling myself at the higher price knowing that my team will match it. Last time i checked, $25 mil is still way less then what the owner was willing to pay so why even bother to worry?

It was clear the FO wasn't interested in Lin at all when they got involved with Felton and soon after, they signed Kidd. Of course, the Raymond Felton news only came across after Lin signed the 3 year deal but from what it seems the deal was sealed long before.

Jeremy only did what's best for him, i honestly can't blame him. When your team gets two other players at the same spot before offering you a sheet, you have to think smart and figure if they really want you back.

just my :2cents:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Lin did all the scoring and the team did all the winning WITHOUT MELO and STAT. Yes, you can take that to the bank.
:rolling: indeed he did and it was fun to watch, but for how long do you think that would of went on? Most of his run came from teams not knowing how to defend Lin. Once the scouting report hits the fan and teams make the defensive adjustment, Lin is not effective! the Heat already showed Lin can be contained with the right defensive adjustments, Lin still cant go left maybe, he's been working on that this off-season but until he proves that no matter what defense you throw at him he can still do his thing and not turn the ball over and over and over he will remain a AVERAGE PG until further notice.

I'm telling you, Lin will no doubt be the man in Houston but will he have what it takes to lead his team. *ALL EYES ON LIN IN HOUSTON* their is no more having Carmelo or Amare to fall back on when things don't go your way. If Lin gets shutdown the ROCKETS will be shut down, and the western conference is alot more aggressive than the eastern conference due to more competition.

What Pg has Lin $hitted on??? Jason kidd,who wasn't even 100 percent?? Fisher??? Calderon?? Derrick rose who just came back from a bad injury???? Deron williams who had no idea how to defend Lin and came back the next time around and dropped buckets on him????? :lol:

Chalmers locked in defensively on Lin got up in his grill and took him out his game.

what you think the Thunder & Westrbook/sefolosha , Clippers & Cp3, Grizzlies & Conley/Allen, Spurs & Parker, Denver & Lawson are going to do???? even the Lakers will probably rip Lin apart as payback if they get Dwight you think Lin's going to be skippin in the paint? if Artest is LOCKED in he might not even make it in the paint, Kobes going to be focuses smh Lin will have his hands full in the west

But i wish him the best of Luck, no better place to grow than out west where their is more competition.

Last edited:

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
Knicks didn't make Lin an offer and basically told him to go get an offer and they'd match. He did, but they didn't match.

He couldn't return to the Knicks even if he wanted to, since Knicks never made him an offer.

Now we speculating and insinuating, smh. C'mon...he's gone. I tell ya. I hate the political side to this sht. The biz always gets in the way of enjoying a simple game of basketball. When the fans start getting at each other over the teams money issues.....its a sign to me the heart of the game is fading and the spirit can only soon follow...this off season can't go by fast enough.

CoolClyde

Admit it CC.

Lin did the one thing he could to f*ck this up. Everyone and their mother knew our intentions, it was no big secret.

blah blah blah. i agree to disagree with you Red. after reading the whole story from Lin's side, I just hate Dolan all the more. you can call it backstabbing from Lin and agents, you can call it Dolan being dissed, but there was very little communication between Knicks and Lin during this whole process, which is indicative of a faulty front office.

I'm really tired of defending Lin, and even more tired of hating on Dolan, as this is just another f*ckup in a VERY long line of a$$hole moves by the NY Knicks top representative, and it makes me VERY sick.

fact is, we could have had a very good PG/SG for the next 2 years at $5M per, to bolster this squad, a very good chance at a return to Linsanity and keeping the roster together, but we got squat. If your front office cannot figure out what to do after 2 years to avoid luxury tax penalties, then... Houston, we got a prob-lin. it means the team is handcuffed once again for the next 3 years and back in salary cap hell. Our front office sucks, Dolan is a moron and Glenwald is a tool.

how many games do you need to scout a player? isn't 26 games enough to form a decision on what a player is worth? Isn't 800K for half a season and what Lin brought to the Knicks just akin to being millionaire miser? there's no denying Linsanity helped sell MSG season tickets, helped finalize the MSG/Time Warner Cable deal, along with a plethora of multi-million dollar sponsorships opportunities and merch sales.

Essentially, Dolan paid Lin $800K and made MEGA-MILLIONS off him, and did not return the favor, because he felt he was dissed, and took it out on Jeremy Lin. he did not understand the big picture, because he is a complete and utter idiot born with a silver spoon in his mouth and does not deserve to serve.

will these rants never stop? help me Red! let's just move on, shall we? We both want what's best for the Knicks, this whole situation is water under the bridge.
babydolan.jpg

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Imagine if the Knicks matched the contract, then at any point decided to trade Lin.

With the combination of the (justified) hatred for Dolan, and the devotion to Lin, there was absolutely no way the dude could have been on the roster and not play out all 3 years. Even if he were stinking it up for the first 2 years and the team looked to trade him in year 3, the narrative would change to "look...he needs time to develop...he's only had 2 full seasons of NBA action, it's too soon to shut the door on him, blah blah blah."

The only right answer was to sign Lin, and have him become a player with sustained stardom. God forbid he doesn't do that.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Imagine if the Knicks matched the contract, then at any point decided to trade Lin.

With the combination of the (justified) hatred for Dolan, and the devotion to Lin, there was absolutely no way the dude could have been on the roster and not play out all 3 years. Even if he were stinking it up for the first 2 years and the team looked to trade him in year 3, the narrative would change to "look...he needs time to develop...he's only had 2 full seasons of NBA action, it's too soon to shut the door on him, blah blah blah."

The only right answer was to sign Lin, and have him become a player with sustained stardom. God forbid he doesn't do that.
The Rockets always Owns us when we do business with them, it's like were their little play toy

but yes i would of liked the idea of Matching Lin then trading him in January to Houston when he would of been eligible to be traded at least we could of got something back for him if the Rockets really wanted him that bad

Rockets get Lin

Knicks get Martin & Morris

STAT1

Starter
No, it's more than personal. It's simple a botch job. The Knicks front office only contacted Lin once in the entire off season. That says it all. They were going separate ways shortly after the season ended. That tweet on Felton joining the Knicks on July 4th also confirmed our suspicion. This is more than personal or financial. I think it has something to do with Melo wanting Lin out of town. Keep in mind, he was one of the 2 knuckle heads that came out and bashed Lin for that 'ridiculous' contract.

Wow, now you're blaming Melo for running Lin out of town? Lol. Come on dude.

You talk about the Knicks front office only having contact with Lin once in the entire off season. Was there something wrong with Lin's phone? Or did he lose it in Landry's couch cushions? ;)

If he wanted to be a Knick so bad, why didn't he simply pick up the phone & call the Knicks' front office & try to work out a deal before signing that official offer sheet? Instead he wants to spin the story to say the Knicks didn't show him any love. Come on now. Let's get real. He didn't exactly show that he wanted to be a Knick with the way he handled these negotiations. He maintained all along that he was going to weigh all his options while the Knicks maintained they were planning on matching any offer. Then he goes & gets a poison pill offer from the team that cut him the year prior? I'm not trying to say he did this to spite the Knicks, but to me his behavior suggests he was looking to get the highest money deal he could find regardless of where he was going to end up, which he had every right to do. Doesn't seem like a guy who so desperately wanted to remain a Knick like he's trying to portray. I don't like the talking out of both sides of his mouth, I would have respected him a lot more if he had just kept it real & said he was looking to get the best deal he could because as a free agent that was his right to do it.

STAT1

Starter
Knicks didn't make Lin an offer and basically told him to go get an offer and they'd match. He did, but they didn't match.

He couldn't return to the Knicks even if he wanted to, since Knicks never made him an offer.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The Knicks actually did extend a qualifying offer to Lin in June. If they hadn't done that he would have become an UNrestricted free agent & the Knicks would have lost their right to match any offer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...ds-set-to-be-restricted-free-agents-1.3808148
The Knicks extended qualifying offers to Jeremy Lin and Landry Fields yesterday, which will make them restricted free agents Sunday.
The Knicks are expected to match all offers for Lin.
On the open market, Lin can’t earn more than the average salary, which is roughly $5.2 million. The Knicks can pay him up to about $5.5 million if the union wins the NBA’s appeal of the “early-Bird” rights...

iSaYughh

Starter
I was also listening to JVG on the radio and he was asked about JR Smith saying Lin's contract would cause problems in the locker room. JVG said he was very surprised by that because players generally are happy for any player that gets a big contract. Which leads me to believe that a lot of the crap that's said about the kid is because he is Asian.

:alert:

Yup. Spot on.

But let's not talk about this extrordinary statement which Smith made (which is sure to be a coincidence alongside Melo labeling the contract "ridiculous"), or that these comments were made during the negotiation process for a NYK.

Let's also not talk about Woodsom making public, sweeping statements about Lin and his contract, *during* the process of negotiation. Not that this has to do with race, but...

HOLY ****ING ****. Lmao, it's almost comedic what a bunch of wack ass jokers we have running this team....from head coach right up to the esteemed owner.

But Lin is just "some Asian dude" so whatever.

Only certain types of people matter, and special types of racism and bigotry should be punished and called out.

This **** is sickening. Yet so predictable. Never been so ashamed to call myself a NYK fan, or to be a part of a fanbase here with several posters whom have been saying **** ranging from suspiciously bigoted and prejudicial, to outright racist and bigoted.

CoolClyde

This **** is sickening. Yet so predictable. Never been so ashamed to call myself a NYK fan, or to be a part of a fanbase here with several posters whom have been saying **** ranging from suspiciously bigoted and prejudicial, to outright racist and bigoted.
:agreed:
I say "Ughh".

NJknick

Rookie
Since we all know that the NBA is a business first, I think what the Knicks and Lin did was good for each side. Since Lin has never played a full 82 (nonetheless start) game season, no one really knows what Lin can do. Since Lin will be 26 after his second season with the rockets, wouldn't he be a restricted free agent and we could offer him contract to bring him back for what he's actually proven he's worth? I would much rather have him be with the rockets and show what he can do (or can't do) before investing so much into him. How plausible is this scenario? I mean this could possible be a win-win situation for the Knicks if after 2 years Lin is a top 8 point guard and the Knicks could offer him a contract Houston couldn't afford. Not too mention if Lin didn't turn out to be good then the Knicks look good. Thoughts?

STAT1

Starter
Since we all know that the NBA is a business first, I think what the Knicks and Lin did was good for each side. Since Lin has never played a full 82 (nonetheless start) game season, no one really knows what Lin can do. Since Lin will be 26 after his second season with the rockets, wouldn't he be a restricted free agent and we could offer him contract to bring him back for what he's actually proven he's worth? I would much rather have him be with the rockets and show what he can do (or can't do) before investing so much into him. How plausible is this scenario? I mean this could possible be a win-win situation for the Knicks if after 2 years Lin is a top 8 point guard and the Knicks could offer him a contract Houston couldn't afford. Not too mention if Lin didn't turn out to be good then the Knicks look good. Thoughts?

Lin signed a 3 year guaranteed contract, not 2. He won't be a FA until 3 years from now, the same year that STAT, Melo & Tyson's contracts will be expiring, so the Knicks will have plenty of cap space to sign him should be become the star player that some people think he will become. However, since he'll have been on the same team for 3 years by that point the Rockets will also own his Bird Rights so they will be able to exceed the salary cap to re-sign him if they are over the cap that year. It would be a funny twist of irony if Lin were to come back to the Knicks for another max money deal at that point I have to admit. :thumbsup:

NJknick

Rookie
Got it, thanks! So basically the only way we could get him is if he wasn't planning on resigning with the rockets after 3 years then they would pretty much HAVE to trade him right (that is if he wanted to come back)?

STAT1

Starter
Got it, thanks! So basically the only way we could get him is if he wasn't planning on resigning with the rockets after 3 years then they would pretty much HAVE to trade him right (that is if he wanted to come back)?

He would be an unrestricted FA after his 3 year contract expires. He could sign with any team he wants to sign with. The Rockets would own his Bird Rights only meaning they would have the ability to exceed the salary cap to sign him to an extension, but they would have no hold over Lin like the Knicks had over him this offseason when Lin was restricted.

At least that's how I understand it. If I am wrong then someone feel free to correct me. I'm not exactly an expert on the CBA. :p

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but ESPN has an extremely detailed 6 part article from the behind the scenes perspective of every camp on what really happened. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8180308/nba-jeremy-lin-six-degrees-separation-family Each camp looked at the same situation and saw something different.
That was the best article I've seen chronicling the Lin FA story. Seems the luxury tax does matter, the Knicks discussed a front loaded deal paying 5M for the first 2 years and 3M in yr 3. They also determined that Lin jersey sales, incremental ticket and TV money wouldn't be a factor. Only thing I wonder is if the Knicks didn't sign Felton would they have matched.