2022 NBA Free Agency Thread - Starts Thursday, 6/30 at 6PM

A think some people online balked at the Brunson signing because one, they don?t watch much basketball and had no idea what this kid did late last year and in the playoffs, and two, have lost reference for the size of NBA contracts.

Zion just got a 5 year 193 million extension and he?s missed 50% of the games his first 2 seasons.

Jokic just signed an extension where he?s going to make 60 million in the final year alone.

4 years 106 million to poach another team?s guy and make him your starting PG is pretty reasonable.

Now, the question becomes fit and system. Having Brunson won?t help us much if Randle and RJ are ball stoppers on offense.

Watching BB and knowing it could be very different depending on the person. Does Brunson deserve that big of a contract.
I say No!! If I?m going to gamble it would have been on pairing Ivey and Murray. Not a player who wasn?t his former team starter.
Correct about fit and system plus the dynamics of RJ and Randle.
There is no competition at the PG like it was in Dallas. So again you are giving someone you overpaid for a starting position. Does this sound familiar?? It should!!! You made the same cardinal mistake 3 years ago and what did it cause. I guess you say if there no competition then it not a problem.

Getting Ivey, center from Memphis and Murray makes a lot more since than a overpaid FA. Yes, I have posted in the past that I thought Dallas was better with Brunson at the PG than Luka. That opinion has changed and remember that Dallas not the Knicks. The dynamics of those 3 players could move the needle of the Knicks.

If you really trying to do better then the F.O. Should have turn their attention to KD and not Brunson. Short term solution but a Transformative player. Having stated many times before he signed with the Nets. The problem with signing KD was his age IMO. So why now? Rose has shown he doesn?t know what he doing. An agent needs to know ?How to build a Championship Team? not overpaid for a player you firm represents.
You must know talent, team needs and most important build competition.
Where is the competition coming from to make the Knicks better?? Meaning practice and open positions. For those of you that don?t understand that it makes for fun and laugher on the team which builds chemistry.

Question - was PG the biggest need for the Knicks??
don?t answer it to me just answer it to yourself. I already know the answer!!

mafra

Legend
Hello, ding-dong. Knicks (supposedly) were desperate to get Ivey? Blame Sac GM for being an idiot.

Mitch and IH better than Duran (MEM), and Murray?s agent orchestrated deal to get clients together in ATL

Nice try!

Kiyaman

Legend
A think some people online balked at the Brunson signing because one, they don?t watch much basketball and had no idea what this kid did late last year and in the playoffs, and two, have lost reference for the size of NBA contracts.

Zion just got a 5 year 193 million extension and he?s missed 50% of the games his first 2 seasons.

Jokic just signed an extension where he?s going to make 60 million in the final year alone.

4 years 106 million to poach another team?s guy and make him your starting PG is pretty reasonable.

Now, the question becomes fit and system. Having Brunson won?t help us much if Randle and RJ are ball stoppers on offense.

Did the Brunson signing save Leon/Perry from being FIRED before the start of the 2022-23 NBA season?

The Mavs deadline trade to get play-maker Dinwiddie to replace the so-call injured Hardaway Jr. in the rotation gave the Mavs the missing weapon in the backcourt to guide Mavs to the WCF.
Having a real NBA PG Dinwiddie the Mavs won't miss combo-guard Brunson.

If you were the owner of the N.O. Pelicans would u give Fat-Boy Zion an extension, after the previous season?

I'm hoping the Knicks don't give inconsistent RJ Barrett an extension. He failed as a SG and SF, plus his defense is suspect to fail in the 2nd half of each game.

Kiyaman

Legend
So far how did the Knicks do in the 2022 FA Market ???
1) Signed a Tier 2 combo-guard Brunson for twice his $$$ worth to a 4 yr contract. Brunson played 79 games, and was a starter in 61 games.
2) Signed a Tier 4 center Hartenstein for twice his $$$ worth to a 2 yr contract.

As a Knicks fan, throughout the 2021-22 Knicks season, I will be evaluating the experience combo-guard Brunson's performance vs the 44th pick combo-guard Keels raw performance?
And Hartenstein performance vs Simms performance?

Brunson + Barrett + Fournier vs D.Rose + Quickley + Keels ???

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
So far how did the Knicks do in the 2022 FA Market ???
1) Signed a Tier 2 combo-guard Brunson for twice his $$$ worth to a 4 yr contract. Brunson played 79 games, and was a starter in 61 games.
2) Signed a Tier 4 center Hartenstein for twice his $$$ worth to a 2 yr contract.

As a Knicks fan, throughout the 2021-22 Knicks season, I will be evaluating the experience combo-guard Brunson's performance vs the 44th pick combo-guard Keels raw performance?

And Hartenstein performance vs Simms performance?

Brunson + Barrett + Fournier vs D.Rose + Quickley + Keels ???

I disagree.......I like both signings.....We have been saying for so long we need a PG to facilitate an offense......now we have one.....
Did the Knicks need to take away the 11th pick to make this happen NO......but thats done so it is what it is......
We know we are not a top team in the East no matter what we did........

As you know we disagree on RJ so this will be the season to decide who is right and who is wrong.......
Robinson now signed which we wanted as long as he had a PG to run the offense and get him the ball......

We will be better then last year but maybe a play in at best.......My thinking and I will be optimistic is that we now have a few parts in place.....so if we suck more then last year I am wrong......BUT if Brunson Barrett and robinson can gel on the court we have a young foundation and a lot of 1st rounders to use as a trade for a star next season.

I disagree.......I like both signings.....We have been saying for so long we need a PG to facilitate an offense......now we have one.....
Did the Knicks need to take away the 11th pick to make this happen NO......but thats done so it is what it is......

As you know we disagree on RJ so this will be the season to decide who is right and who is wrong.......
Robinson now signed which we wanted as long as he had a PG to run the offense and get him the ball......

We will be better then last year but maybe a play in at best.......My thinking and I will be optimistic is that we now have a few parts in place.....so if we suck more then last year I am wrong......BUT if Brunson Barrett and robinson can gel on the court we have a young foundation and a lot of 1st rounders to use as a trade for a star next season.
Ski, are you serious?? You had facilitators in Frank and T. Burks. But didn?t give either a chance to run the offense. DON?T FALL INTO THIS HOLE!!

We need some electricity and Ivey could have bought that to this team. Getting him and Murray from SA would move the needle of this team( not Transformative? Not a championship).
Agreed not a top tier team in the east and we will never be with dumb moves like signing Brunson. Your words!!
RJ ?this will be the season who?s right or wrong?. It always the next year with you guys defending him. We been taken to depth of despair with trying to justify RJ existence. And now you want another year. What does someone have to do hit you in the head to my you understand. He is not more important than TEAM!!
Once the PG get MRob the ball ? What is he going to do with it??? He has no/none moves around the basket. He had no/none jumper. So what is he going to do??

So what star is going to be a FA that is Transformative for next year??

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

If the Knicks have a successful 2022-23 season it will be from a healthy D.Rose leadership on and off the court.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting Brunson, It's just Brunson plays best in lineups having PG-Donicic, or PG Dinwiddie.
In the upcoming Knicks season the starter lineup will have Bronson sharing the PG duties alongside Randle on offense .. I get it! Now what's up with the defense ???

As a Knicks fan .. last season the Burks & Barrett & Fournier & Randle lineup had no chemistry on offense/defense game after game .. Many times I had to cut the Knicks game off as early as the end of the first quarter, or the start of the 3rd quarter .. The Knicks got into a habit of losing 20 point leads.
How will Brunson improve Barrett's, Fournier, and Randle offense performance next season?
Last season, the only consistent defensive player in the Knicks starter lineup were center MitchRob.
I would've been happy if the Knicks FO would've signed FA Tucker instead of Hartenstein.

The Knicks best winning lineup are D.Rose & Quickley's chemistry in the back-court having Obi Toppin & Taj Gibson (or Sims) in the frontcourt. Fournier could take Burks spot in the lineup better than Barrett.
The FO and coach Thibs did not like the idea of the Knicks 2nd unit bench lineup performing better and more exciting than the Knicks starter lineup .. during the postseason games, and in the first 25 Knicks games of 2021-22 regular season games.
It didn't look good for both parties .. So Thibs snatch Payton out the rotation to go 0-3 vs Hawks .. Then Thibs snatch Kemba Walker out the rotation early in the regular season while the Knicks were playing .500 ball, which turned fast into .450 ball the remainder of the season having a 37-45 season.
Mainly from the Head coach decision-making throughout the season.

Last year this time, so many optimistic media comments bout Kemba Walker returning to N.Y. to play for the Knicks .. Last year the media Kemba Walker Hype almost had me, but I was to upset with not signing Dinwiddie, and resigning Bullock.

I hope Thibs dont wait to the end of the season to find out ..
The Knicks best guard back-court tandem will be ..
Brunson & Quickley, or Brunson & D.Rose, or D.Rose & Quickley

skisloper1

Benchwarmer
Ski, are you serious?? You had facilitators in Frank and T. Burks. But didn?t give either a chance to run the offense. DON?T FALL INTO THIS HOLE!!

We need some electricity and Ivey could have bought that to this team. Getting him and Murray from SA would move the needle of this team( not Transformative? Not a championship).
Agreed not a top tier team in the east and we will never be with dumb moves like signing Brunson. Your words!!
RJ ?this will be the season who?s right or wrong?. It always the next year with you guys defending him. We been taken to depth of despair with trying to justify RJ existence. And now you want another year. What does someone have to do hit you in the head to my you understand. He is not more important than TEAM!!
Once the PG get MRob the ball ? What is he going to do with it??? He has no/none moves around the basket. He had no/none jumper. So what is he going to do??

So what star is going to be a FA that is Transformative for next year??

Let me be clear.......Do I think the FO sucks.....YES.....
WERE THERE BETTER MOVES TO MAKE ......YES

My points simply is we have what we have......Frank was never given a full chance so at this point that mistake meant we had NO PG.........I always thought he should play more......
I have always said give RJ this season so we shall see........We have had and lets hope that changes no offensive scheme.....I blame coach not the players.....

I guess time will tell......

Let me be clear.......Do I think the FO sucks.....YES.....
WERE THERE BETTER MOVES TO MAKE ......YES

My points simply is we have what we have......Frank was never given a full chance so at this point that mistake meant we had NO PG.........I always thought he should play more......
I have always said give RJ this season so we shall see........We have had and lets hope that changes no offensive scheme.....I blame coach not the players.....

I guess time will tell......
If you didn?t know it ?You are out of time?!!

Dye has been cast and the jury is end.

Justify him being on the court and starting!! If you can?t do that(and you can?t) there is no need of another year. This isn?t me saying these things it his play? his play?his play.

tiger0330

Legend
Even if the Knicks do improve with the signing of Brunson and Hartenstein, they can?t touch what the Celtics did with their off-season moves. Donovan Mitchell will soon be headed elsewhere with Ainge going full rebuild with the Jazz, best guesses for a destination for him anyone? Ainge will be looking for picks and expiring contracts for DM.

mafra

Legend
Knicks didn?t lose M-Robinson for nothing; You could argue that they could?ve saved a ton of money and selected Jalen Duran? Go with Simms, IH, and the rookie? but Thibbs needs the rim protector and re-signing him tells me the plan is to give this group of kids all the help they can get, as opposed to a total rebuild through the draft.

Since the last draft pick given a second contract was Charlie Ward? they made the right call.

Randle and Evan have no trade value right now. So, hope for a good start, and then look to sell them when their value is built up some?.

The 2 who will suffer is Obi and IQ? but if D-Rose, IQ, Evan, IH and Obi can be a special unit? Knicks will be happy.

This means Brunson, Grimes, RJ, Randle and Robinson start? Something like that?.

Brunson best PG teams has had since Mark Jax (given age and talent)?.

IH is a player too.

Knicks added talent? now they wait for that star to come..

Hope RJ becomes more efficient, Rose stays healthy, andRandle returns to MVP form with a true PG.

We shall see.

I don?t have hope for next year but maybe I?m shocked, like 2021? who guessed 4 seed then?

On a side note: I see SGA balling for team Canada.. RJ better be forging a bond with the kid?

Brunson, SGA, RJ, Obi/Randle, Robinson could be a nice future

mafra

Legend
NYP

?A two-time national champ at Villanova, Brunson is the ultimate crafty left-hander, an athlete who compensates for his lack of high-end athleticism by playing the angles, by seeing things his opponents don?t see and by using his squatty 6-foot-1 body as the hammer needed to create his workspace. Among NBA guards last season, Brunson owned the fourth-best shooting percentage in the paint (51.4), the fifth-best in the restricted area (67.2), the eighth-best on midrange shots (47.3), and the third-best on corner 3s (50.0). The guy can play.?

Kiyaman

Legend
NYP

?A two-time national champ at Villanova, Brunson is the ultimate crafty left-hander, an athlete who compensates for his lack of high-end athleticism by playing the angles, by seeing things his opponents don?t see and by using his squatty 6-foot-1 body as the hammer needed to create his workspace. Among NBA guards last season, Brunson owned the fourth-best shooting percentage in the paint (51.4), the fifth-best in the restricted area (67.2), the eighth-best on midrange shots (47.3), and the third-best on corner 3s (50.0). The guy can play.?

Last year Brunson played 68 games, and was a starter 12 times ..
This past season Brunson played 79 games, and was a starter 61 times ..
The Knicks signed Brunson to a max $$$ contract to be the Knicks starter PG. .
Did the Knicks FO get scam again in the FA market ???

tiger0330

Legend
Brunson could have made over $130M on a 4 yr max deal with the Knicks or a $175M 5 yr deal with the Mavs if they offered it. Mavs didn't offer him that max deal as I predicted but if they did he probably would have stayed in DAL so I'm glad to have him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Brunson could have made over $130M on a 4 yr max deal with the Knicks or a $175M 5 yr deal with the Mavs if they offered it. Mavs didn't offer him that max deal as I predicted but if they did he probably would have stayed in DAL so I'm glad to have him.

Yes .. A lot of sport players $$$ contracts are ridiculous high.
However, Brunson's last 2 season performance earned him a 5 yr contract at $13M or 16M per from the Mavs organization. Not $26M per !!!
If any of the mention names (Cuban, or Kidd, or Doncic) believed that Brunson performance was worth the Knicks offer .. the Mavs FO would've matched the offer to keep Brunson. It seem like Cuban seen certain teams going after a FA Brunson.
On the Feb. deadline the Mavs gave up their 7.3 F/C KP for a 6.6 PG Dinwiddie.
Dinwiddie average 28 min a game in the Mavs postseason run to the WCF.
Remember Dinwiddie the playmaker combo-guard that took D'Angelo Russell scoring performance to the next level on the Nets.

Jericho Sims signed a 3 year deal worth a little less than 6 million with the Knicks.

Trevor Keels signed a 2-way contract.

Knicks still haven?t waived the last non-guaranteed year of Taj Gibson?s deal, but that seems likely.

mafra

Legend

I think Brunson averaged 20&8 in the 17 games Doncic didn?t play. Of course, we saw him elevate his game on the playoffs? Knicks didn?t give him the max?

NBA salaries are going up and up and up?.

We shall see if he?s worth it.

Knicks waive the final non-guaranteed year of Taj Gibson?s contract, as expected.

There will likely be interest in him as a low cost addition to a contender. He played well for us at times the last couple seasons and definitely brings some gritty leadership to a bench.