D'Antonti breaks his silence...

kinein

Benchwarmer
D'Antoni's system is great - that is as long as guys are taking & making a ton of 3 point shots. Otherwise it gets exposed real fast. The pace that he demands on the offensive side of the ball makes the defense suffer. In 3 & a half seasons as the Knicks' head coach, he compiled a record of 121W - 167L. That's pretty heinous for a guy who was widely considered to be a coaching genius when he was hired. The rosters he's had to work with were easily capable of posting better win tallies, especially when you look at some of the rosters that other coaches around the league have had to work with & still been able to achieve much better success, like Doug Collins in Philly, Ty Corbin in Utah & Vogel in Indiana. Mike Woodson took over the same team that D'Antoni had at 6 games under .500 & took them to an 18W - 6L record to finish out the season. The lazy Knicks fan will just blame all this on Melo's quitting on D'Antoni & finally deciding to play defense for Woody, but in actuality it was the entire Knicks team that just played much better under Woodson's watch. Mike D'Antoni was simply not getting the job done in NY, & he knew it. He has no one to blame for his no longer being here but himself.

You must not have been rewatching the same game tapes I watched because I did watch Melo quit, and I did watch Stat valet buckets for the other team.

Case closed.

What case? This thread should be closed.

It can be argued Mello quit on the coach. But its not a fact that can be clearly pin pointed, why? Well, simply because we all seen mello out there trying to run/play within D'Ants flawed system. We all seen him put up points rebound and dish out dimes within this wack system. Facts.

As far as quitting is concerned...it was the wack, clueles coach (that can't adapt to the game) quitting on Mello and the whole knicks organization. Why? Because he didn't know how to coach the talent he had. Fact.

I'm glad he's outta here... don't care where he ends up as long as he's not anywhere near the Knicks. I just hope his fans will follow him...that would be nice.

STAT1

Starter
What case? This thread should be closed.

It can be argued Mello quit on the coach. But its not a fact that can be clearly pin pointed, why? Well, simply because we all seen mello out there trying to run/play within D'Ants flawed system. We all seen him put up points rebound and dish out dimes within this wack system. Facts.

As far as quitting is concerned...it was the wack, clueles coach (that can't adapt to the game) quitting on Mello and the whole knicks organization. Why? Because he didn't know how to coach the talent he had. Fact.

I'm glad he's outta here... don't care where he ends up as long as he's not anywhere near the Knicks. I just hope his fans will follow him...that would be nice.

Agreed. It's all too convenient to blame Melo for quitting on his coach, but the fact remains the entire TEAM was highly inconsistent playing under D'Antoni & that was the case long before Melo ever got here. This team has never had a sustained run of success like they had once D'Antoni left & Woodson took over the coaching duties. D'Antoni has had problems maintaining sustained levels of effort out of just about all of the teams he's coached in NY. I remember reading an article citing Chauncey Billups having misgivings about D'Antoni's system when he was traded here, & made it known that he believed the team needed to place much more emphasis on playing defense. This has to raise some red flags when a well respected vet like Billups, who knows what it takes to win a championship, is raising these concerns.

Agreed. It's all too convenient to blame Melo for quitting on his coach, but the fact remains the entire TEAM was highly inconsistent playing under D'Antoni & that was the case long before Melo ever got here. This team has never had a sustained run of success like they had once D'Antoni left & Woodson took over the coaching duties. D'Antoni has had problems maintaining sustained levels of effort out of just about all of the teams he's coached in NY. I remember reading an article citing Chauncey Billups having misgivings about D'Antoni's system when he was traded here, & made it known that he believed the team needed to place much more emphasis on playing defense. This has to raise some red flags when a well respected vet like Billups, who knows what it takes to win a championship, is raising these concerns.

I really don't get the fuss about him. He's a person that wants to win, he scores, rebounds, and passes more than people want to admit. The team will get better once his trust in them becomes stronger. People seem to always over look the simple facts that we have a whole new team and coaching staff.

I get upset too when we lose, but I'm not going to misdirect my anger in such a way. That will just expose some envy issues and cluelessness. I would give the team some time to find a identity first before I go off on any particular player.

STAT1

Starter
I really don't get the fuss about him. He's a person that wants to win, he scores, rebounds, and passes more than people want to admit. The team will get better once his trust in them becomes stronger. People seem to always over look the simple facts that we have a whole new team and coaching staff.

I get upset too when we lose, but I'm not going to misdirect my anger in such a way. That will just expose some envy issues and cluelessness. I would give the team some time to find a identity first before I go off on any particular player.

100% agreed with everything you said. I watch every game very carefully, sometimes twice or 3 times on replay just to see if I didn't catch something on the first go around. In just about every game I've watched Melo play, he's 1 of the guys on the floor giving a ton of effort fighting for rebounds, going up for putbacks on his own shot, fighting for position down low, fighting to get into the lane & either get the layup or draw the foul.

He's also been highly underrated as a passer as well, this season he averaged the most assists per game in his last 7 seasons, & for a guy who over his entire high school, college & professional career has been mostly looked upon to carry the scoring load for every team he's played on, I think it shows he's at least trying to look for his teammates more. Melo is not a point guard, he is not a guy who is accustomed to orchestrating an offense & shouldn't be looked upon to set guys up in motion for easy buckets. D'Antoni was trying to turn him into a point forward instead of using him to his strengths posting up guys down low. Instead of adapting his system to the players he had on the roster like any good coach would do, he tried to change the players' games to adapt to his system. This is what has consistently bothered me about him ever since he got the job as our coach.

Knicks fans that complain about Melo's style of play need to stop expecting him to be something that he's not. They want him to be Lebron James or Steve Nash, but he's not that type of player. Melo's a pure scorer in the mold of Bernard King. He's used to being the guy that gets the ball passed to HIM to do the scoring.

I also think he's shown much more of a consistent effort on the defensive end also. People ask why that effort wasn't there when D'Antoni was coaching here, but fail to realize that effort was lacking in the other players that played under him too, & that encompassed all the teams since he was our coach. I don't see why fans can't just be happy that they're seeing our best player starting to take some accountability for how the team performs, instead of pointing fingers at his teammates for their shortcomings. Melo handled all the negative backlash thrown his way this year like a true pro in my opinion, even when Linsanity broke loose & everyone was thinking this team was better off without him. I think with a full offseason training camp playing with Lin, Amar'e, Shump & Chandler under the same system that Mike Woodson is running, they'll be a much better team next year. Hopefully we'll be able to retain Steve Novak too. This team needs to build that team cohesion & trust in each other that you see in teams like the Spurs & Celtics. That type of chemistry is only built over time & growing pains are all a part of the process. Knick fans need to realize this.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but this hate towards Melo by some Knick fans just doesn't make sense to me & never has.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
100% agreed with everything you said. I watch every game very carefully, sometimes twice or 3 times on replay just to see if I didn't catch something on the first go around.
Are you working at Knicks front office? Why did you watch every game twice or 3 times? :)

He's also been highly underrated as a passer as well, this season he averaged the most assists per game in his last 7 seasons, & for a guy who over his entire high school, college & professional career has been mostly looked upon to carry the scoring load for every team he's played on, I think it shows he's at least trying to look for his teammates more.
I think there's still room for him to pass more.

I think with a full offseason training camp playing with Lin, Amar'e, Shump & Chandler under the same system that Mike Woodson is running, they'll be a much better team next year.
100 % agreed! :)

STAT1

Starter
Are you working at Knicks front office? Why did you watch every game twice or 3 times? :)

Lol! Nah, I just like to analyze what I'm watching. You'd be surprised at how many of the intricacies of games that you can catch on the 2nd time watching the game that might have gone unnoticed the first time you watch it, especially how guys are playing off the ball.

I think there's still room for him to pass more.
Absolutely, I agree with you here. I'm sure Melo would agree with that too. I think once he starts to develop more trust in his teammates after more practices & familiarity, the chemistry will be better. I really thought this team was making progress in the last few weeks of the season & their ability to stay away from any prolonged losing streak was really encouraging. Lin coming back will help to take some of the orchestrating load off of Melo's shoulders next season, but this season I thought Melo was at least making a conscious effort to get other guys involved.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Lol! Nah, I just like to analyze what I'm watching. You'd be surprised at how many of the intricacies of games that you can catch on the 2nd time watching the game that might have gone unnoticed the first time you watch it, especially how guys are playing off the ball.

So true! But I'm not as patient as you. I would watch clips/highlights times and again though.

By the way, I'm not sure if I'm right, I'm thinking.... while it may help you catch the missed intricacies of games watching it for the second or third time, it may also bring you so deep into the game and you can't look at the whole picture any more.

For example, you followed every Melo's move, then you became him, you thought like him, and you felt each of his move was a nature thing to do.

Just like people so into Steve Novak would think he's better than Ray Allen. (Which I do. )

Forget it, I don't know what I'm talking about.

STAT1

Starter
So true! But I'm not as patient as you. I would watch clips/highlights times and again though.

By the way, I'm not sure if I'm right, I'm thinking.... while it may help you catch the missed intricacies of games watching it for the second or third time, it may also bring you so deep into the game and you can't look at the whole picture any more.

For example, you followed every Melo's move, then you became him, you thought like him, and you felt each of his move was a nature thing to do.

Just like people so into Steve Novak would think he's better than Ray Allen. (Which I do. )

Forget it, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think in terms of catch & shoot ability, Novak's J is right up there alongside Ray Allen's. But when you consider the ability to move without the ball, run the defenders off screens to get open & knock down the quick J, there's not many guys better at it than Ray even at his advanced age. Novak's effectiveness is severely hampered by his inability to do much other than spot up shooting (which he is awesome at I agree). If all things were equal & I had to choose whether to take Novak or Ray Allen at similar dollars, I'd probably opt for Ray Allen to tell you the truth. He gives you more versatility on offense. Just my personal opinion. But I do love Novak's team first mentality & would love to see him back in a Knicks' uniform next season.

STAT1

Starter
My point was:

How to keep objective?

What caused the subjective thinking?

Yeah I know. It's easy to become subjective with players who people have grown attached to. I try to keep an objective eye as much as possible but it's hard to keep personal feelings out of the equation sometimes. I just want to see the best possible team out on the court next year. If that means Novak, Lin, JR Smith or whoever else is a part of that, that would be great, but if there are other guys who could replace them at similar production who could be better in their roles for this team, then I wouldn't shed a tear to see any of them leave. Bottomline is I always root for the uniform first, the names on the back of the jerseys second.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Yeah I know. It's easy to become subjective with players who people have grown attached to. I try to keep an objective eye as much as possible but it's hard to keep personal feelings out of the equation sometimes. I just want to see the best possible team out on the court next year. If that means Novak, Lin, JR Smith or whoever else is a part of that, that would be great, but if there are other guys who could replace them at similar production who could be better in their roles for this team, then I wouldn't shed a tear to see any of them leave. Bottomline is I always root for the uniform first, the names on the back of the jerseys second.

That'll make your opinions objective enough! :)