Salary Cap Reduction 2010

jimkcchief88

All Star
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312837

For those of you who keep saying we can't count on the 2010 free agent class, here is your proof. Looks like the salary cap is going down with NBA revenue. These are projected numbers but the cap could drop as much as 8 million for 2010. The article actually singles out the Knicks as an example of one of the teams that will be hurt most buy this cap reduction. I am not a capologist, but this tells me it will be harder to unload unwanted players with big salaries and you might get stuck with the girl you brought to the dance. This also makes that nepotism pick we made last year (Gallinari) an even bigger mistake because we will have less money to spend in free agency to cover up mistakes in the draft. Hopefully another Florida State PG can come in and save us since we messed up and didn't grab Augustine last year. So unless some miracle happens, looks like we are only getting big name free agent next year. If I could pick one, I am taking D. Wade because he is tough and knows how to win. We haven't seen a player like that in a Knicks uniform in a long time.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Yeah I read this article this morning and it definitely focuses on the NYK who have publicized their intentions for 2010. Of course these are projections and perhaps the NBA does not do as bas as projected.

Yeah, with this new cap number the NYK have to just stick to one guy unless they trade away Curry, jefferies, and don't resign Leeand N8.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
That's pretty spot on by Dre.

That's why I really hope Douglas can play well, at least on D. Cheap young players with a years experience under their belt are a potential upside and or downside in 1 years time.

Chandler's a keeper for the same reason, but I can't see his game elevating much past it's current level.

We've got a good young core, but it can easily become a flop.

Hill
Lee
Chandler
Douglas
N8

Potentially, a very decent core if:

N8 can create more than his own shot.
Gallo turns it up to 16ppg minimum with a handful of dimes & boards
Chandler, same as Gallo
Lee, plays defense and develops a reliable mid jumper
Hill, if he really runs for us like say Nene of Denver and can work on his handle, he could be excellent.

The rest of the crew can eat a dick IMO.

ANU

Starter
Yeah I read this article this morning and it definitely focuses on the NYK who have publicized their intentions for 2010. Of course these are projections and perhaps the NBA does not do as bas as projected.

Yeah, with this new cap number the NYK have to just stick to one guy unless they trade away Curry, jefferies, and don't resign Leeand N8.
agree.that's how I've always seen it.james or wade.

BernardKing

Rookie
Reading about the projected cap reduction this morning... well it ruined my morning. All the number crunching that I've been doing (regarding potential trades and cap ramifications) has been thrown a MAJOR monkey wrench.

I've been over the numbers many times, taking into account all the CBA/Salary Cap bullsh*t along the way... I'm freakin' pissed off about this... The f*cked up economy strikes again...

My first impression is that while this hurts the knicks, it shouln't necessarily change what Walsh is trying to do, which is to get out from under those two remaining bad contracts (Curry/Jeffries) before next summer. Losing just one of those bad contracts could change everything for us (from a cap perspective). At least anyone who's hoping for a "Lebron + One" scenario.

The July moratorium has officially ended... This should be interesting at least...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Reading about the projected cap reduction this morning... well it ruined my morning. All the number crunching that I've been doing (regarding potential trades and cap ramifications) has been thrown a MAJOR monkey wrench.

I've been over the numbers many times, taking into account all the CBA/Salary Cap bullsh*t along the way... I'm freakin' pissed off about this... The f*cked up economy strikes again...

My first impression is that while this hurts the knicks, it shouln't necessarily change what Walsh is trying to do, which is to get out from under those two remaining bad contracts (Curry/Jeffries) before next summer. Losing just one of those bad contracts could change everything for us (from a cap perspective). At least anyone who's hoping for a "Lebron + One" scenario.

The July moratorium has officially ended... This should be interesting at least...

Its good to have a capologist on this. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the whole thing but this is a developing situation we should keep an eye on throughout the year.

BernardKing

Rookie
Its good to have a capologist on this. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the whole thing but this is a developing situation we should keep an eye on throughout the year.

Not a problem. I?m glad you started this thread because it's an important topic, especially for teams like us who are hoping to sign two max contract free agents next summer...

At this time of year, signings and trades occur frequently, so I'll give you a rundown on where things stand right now. I'll also insert the hypothetical Lebron signing.

I'll be using the ?worst case? projection, which puts the 2010 Cap at $50,400,000

As of now, the following players will be on the books for 2010:

Curry - $11,276,863 (player option)
Jeffries - $6,883,400 (player option)
Gallo - $3,304,560 (team option)
Chandler - $2,130,481 (team option)
Jordan Hill - $2,224,600 (rookie scale for #8 pick)
Toney Douglas - $892,500 (rookie scale for #29 pick)

Total: $26,712,404

Remaining Cap Space: $23,687,596

Lebron - $16,568,907 (105% of his previous salary)

So this new cap projection really hurts us... Under the projected scenario, we can?t sign ?Lebron + One? because after signing him, we would only have about 7 million left to play with, and the rest of a roster to fill out. This makes us a less desirable landing place for Lebron...

I haven't even gotten started with the idea of re-signing David Lee and/or Nate Robinson. I don't know if people realize this, but re-signing Lee would blow away our ability to offer Lebron a max contract in 2010. The only way that changes, is if Walsh can unload Curry and/or Jeffries...

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Not a problem. I?m glad you started this thread because it's an important topic, especially for teams like us who are hoping to sign two max contract free agents next summer...

At this time of year, signings and trades occur frequently, so I'll give you a rundown on where things stand right now. I'll also insert the hypothetical Lebron signing.

I'll be using the ?worst case? projection, which puts the 2010 Cap at $50,400,000

So this new cap projection really hurts us... Under the projected scenario, we can?t sign ?Lebron + One? because after signing him, we would only have about 7 million left to play with, and the rest of a roster to fill out. This makes us a less desirable landing place for Lebron...

I haven't even gotten started with the idea of re-signing David Lee and/or Nate Robinson. I don't know if people realize this, but re-signing Lee would blow away our ability to offer Lebron a max contract in 2010. The only way that changes, is if Walsh can unload Curry and/or Jeffries...

We gotta think big and forget about signing Lee and go for Wade, Lebron, Bosh or Joe Johnson (not a max contract, giving us flex to sign someone else). Lee is a marginal player, and with Hill on board his services are no longer needed. The same goes for Nate with the Douglas drafting. Its incredible how the cap drops so much with 2010 being so close.

BernardKing

Rookie
We gotta think big and forget about signing Lee and go for Wade, Lebron, Bosh or Joe Johnson (not a max contract, giving us flex to sign someone else). Lee is a marginal player, and with Hill on board his services are no longer needed. The same goes for Nate with the Douglas drafting. Its incredible how the cap drops so much with 2010 being so close.

Good post. Unfortunately, I don't see Joe Johnson putting his signature on anything less than a max deal...

Next year's f*cked up projections could also make it harder for us to unload Curry/Jeffries in a Lee or Nate sign-and-trade, because opposing GMs now have to concern themselves with getting under next year's luxury tax threshold which will also be drastically lower than originally expected (could get as low as 62.2 million...).

The reason that the current economic climate exists is because "experts" couldn't read the market. Now that we are in a downturn they will over exaggerate any drop and all their projects because they don't want to make the same mistake again.

I wouldn't worry as much as this article makes out and Walsh is a smart cookie, he will find a way to get it done one way or another.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Not a problem. I’m glad you started this thread because it's an important topic, especially for teams like us who are hoping to sign two max contract free agents next summer...

I'll be using the ‘worst case’ projection, which puts the 2010 Cap at $50,400,000

So this new cap projection really hurts us... Under the projected scenario, we can’t sign “Lebron + One” because after signing him, we would only have about 7 million left to play with, and the rest of a roster to fill out. This makes us a less desirable landing place for Lebron...

Thanks for the rundown. I guess that's why we drafted a "replacement" for David Lee because Walsh was aware of the impending cap reduction. So Eddy needs to put up or shut up because he now the highest paid player on the team. I don't understand how a player like Jeffries whose jumper is broke on anything outside of 6 feet from the basket is making 7 million a year. Amazing. Hopefully the economy will bounce back to all of our benefits including the NBA salary cap. Amazing how its all intertwined...l.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I say we cut a deal with the Washington Wizards. There were rumors that they wanted Jared Jeffries (who was a part of their teams back when they were, you know, winning) and we'd gladly pick up any expiring contracts such as Mike James or Brendan Haywood