50+ Wins, Atlantic Division Title, 2nd Round Playoff Loss

I know we still have a bunch of things left to settle out this offseason, but just trying to gauge what are people's expectations from this team in 2012 to 2013. I think the thread title (50+ wins and Atlantic Division Title) are totally achievable for us this year, even with KG sticking around in Boston and the newly revamped Nets (no Howard model), given that we went 18 and 6 under Woodson to close out last year. I also think that given a playoff seed in the top 4, we will finally get out of the 1st round of the playoffs in 2013. Beyond that, it's hard to guarantee much.

Would Knicks' fans be happy with that kind of season, even if it meant still getting the boot before the Conference Finals? Seems like as a fanbase our expectations are becoming much lower going into 2012-2013 than they were a year ago.

All this expectation-gauging is under the assumption our rotation will look something like this:

C - Chandler, Jorts, possibly Jefferies or maybe a nice MLE-type guy like Camby
PF - STAT, Novak, Jorts, again possibly Jefferies back
SF - Melo, Novak
SG - likely JR Smith, Shump when healthy, James White possibly getting some minutes, maybe a pick-up like Foye
PG - Lin, Felton or equivalent minimal impact back-up PG

Now expect all the Melo fans and Championship aspiring Knick fans to flood this thread bashing you.

AndHereWeGo.gif

Now expect all the Melo fans and Championship aspiring Knick fans to flood thise thread bashing you.

AndHereWeGo.gif

I want this team to win a championship as much as anyone on this board. Not saying it's not going to happen. Bring it on if people think that we're a favorite right now though.

Let's figure out a team first...

What big pieces do you see still moving around before the start of next season? In theory, we don't have a backcourt right now, but at the same time, seems pretty likely we're going to have Lin and J.R. Smith when the dust settles. We're also likely to resign Novak. It's hard to imagine anything we do with the MLE will dramatically change the course of our upcoming season. It would be great to get guys like Camby and Foye, but if not having pieces like that change us from a 50 win to 30 win team, then our money is even more misspent than it first appears.

Nyknicks141

Benchwarmer
I say we make the Conference Finals vs the Heat. I honestly feel like we will be the second best team in the East this year.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Anything less than a championship is a disappointment as far as im concerned. Im tired of making excuses for this team.

TheScowl

Rookie
I think the Knicks can contend seriously in the East only if the other teams have a drop in performance or just bad luck. If Miami has injuries or isn't as focussed after winning it. Boston ages a bit faster (esp. KG & PP), Chicago has problems with injuries (Rose) and age (Rip & Boozer), Indiana and Philly fail to take the next step in maturation. But if those teams' fortunes turn positive, we have a hard time getting better than a 6th seed.

Having said that, the Knicks have it in their own hands, with just as much talent as most of those teams, they just have to be focussed and play together (a lot) better. Easier said than done.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Have you guys been drinking the kool-aid again?

This is the same team as last year with just the addition of Kidd.
We've had several other veteran PG's try it out and failed -why is Kidd any different?

TheScowl

Rookie
Have you guys been drinking the kool-aid again?

This is the same team as last year with just the addition of Kidd.
We've had several other veteran PG's try it out and failed -why is Kidd any different?

I hear ya. It's hard to be optimistic about this franchise after the last decade+.

Not saying it's gonna happen, but there is potential. It will take first of all a really good coaching job by Woodson. Then we need:

-Strong PG play, Lin and Kidd performing near our more optimistic expectations.
-Shumpert recovers and improves his game as well.
-Melo ups his game and makes people around him better
-Amare plays near his peak level on O, shows up on D.
-Overall those two have to co-exist and be efficient in combo.
-Tyson keeps up his stellar D and solid offensive contribution (P&R, Offreb, etc)
-Round out the rotation with solid role players (bench is in flux until further notice

That is a lot to ask. We shall see.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I can see us getting past second round this year. Eventhough the roster hasn't changed much yet, consider the training camp and summer league to get things fixed chemistry wise. Next, which will make the biggest difference on how much further we get is the other free agents that are still to be signed. Add some interior D to help Chandler and maybe Felton and we will be scary

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
I would like to see a team where each of the starters are scoring 10-20 points a game without any lumping towards one player. If Melo is scoring 30+ I think there is a problem.

Kidd/Lin just have to figure out a way to distribute well. I am just nervous about Kidd as he doesn't really represent a scoring threat which means his defender can now double the pass receiver.

What makes a guy like Rondo/Iverson so great is that they have two strong options - score or pass. Kidd can only really pass.

I wonder who will start at SG if there are no new additions. Shump is not expected to come back at the beginning to my understanding. Will Novak play the SG? I don't think it would be a terrible idea (both offensively/defensively).
Although he isn't as quick as most SG he is taller than them so he can step back a little further.

Paul1355

All Star
I know we still have a bunch of things left to settle out this offseason, but just trying to gauge what are people's expectations from this team in 2012 to 2013. I think the thread title (50+ wins and Atlantic Division Title) are totally achievable for us this year, even with KG sticking around in Boston and the newly revamped Nets (no Howard model), given that we went 18 and 6 under Woodson to close out last year. I also think that given a playoff seed in the top 4, we will finally get out of the 1st round of the playoffs in 2013. Beyond that, it's hard to guarantee much.

Would Knicks' fans be happy with that kind of season, even if it meant still getting the boot before the Conference Finals? Seems like as a fanbase our expectations are becoming much lower going into 2012-2013 than they were a year ago.

All this expectation-gauging is under the assumption our rotation will look something like this:

C - Chandler, Jorts, possibly Jefferies or maybe a nice MLE-type guy like Camby
PF - STAT, Novak, Jorts, again possibly Jefferies back
SF - Melo, Novak
SG - likely JR Smith, Shump when healthy, James White possibly getting some minutes, maybe a pick-up like Foye
PG - Lin, Felton or equivalent minimal impact back-up PG

If we can get Camby to go along with our bench lineup of KIdd, SMith, Novak, WHite and Jeffries then we can make noise in the playoffs

Its really all about being healthy come playoff time and seeing if Lin can make the team gel.

I expect us to get past the 1st round but it all depends on matchups.

I believe we are the only team that can upset Miami because we have players that can turn it up at any moment (Lin, Melo, J.R, Amare) but it will be all about hitting open 3's and playing team defense, starting with Tyson as the anchor...but Camby as a backup is solid.

Heat
Celtics
Knicks
Pacers(assuming they match the offer sheet for Hibbert)
76ers
Bulls(assuming Rose is out most of the year)
Nets
Magic(assuming Dwight stays)

orangeblobman

Rotation player
50 wins would take some luck. Team isn't built to go deep in playoffs. Nets as they are now would.give us. Comp and I can see them beating us.

I am always hopeful but I don't see it.

With a weak first round opponent, second is possible, but anything deeper is not likely.

We don't have the proper leadership though kidd stands a chance to influence the team. At the same time, He is a 5/5 guy at this point.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2