2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

One of the most exciting NBA free agency periods of all-time is going to finally get going in the next 36 hours or so. Not only are there multiple stars likely on the move, there is approximately 40% of the total current NBA players who are free agents this year.

My predictions:

Kawhi Leonard - Proven all he needs to prove. He has lived in San Antonio and Toronto, so now it's time for him to go to the West coast. His personality is the anti-NYC personality. He goes to the Lakers where Lebron can do all the talking and he will be setup to play with AD for years and have a good chance at winning championships.

Kyrie Irving - He showed the whole world his toxic side in Boston, especially in the playoffs. Cleveland couldn't beat anyone with him as their star until Lebron came back. Goes to the Brooklyn Nets, because, the reality is that they are the only team who wants him unconditionally.

Kemba Walker - He was more than prepared to stay in Charlotte until he realized they were not going to offer him the full supermax. Ends up going to Boston because they are a safe option with a solid roster and strong front office.

Jimmy Butler - Winds up in Houston after Houston trades Capela away to make cap space. Houston is a disaster next season with the combination of Harden, CP, and Butler not being able to beat anyone without a real frontcourt.

Tobias Harris - Stays in Philly? Seems reasonable.

Klay Thompson - Takes his max deal and stays in GS. Maybe the first deal done.

Kevin Durant - There was a time when he was coming to the Knicks for legacy reasons. That's all gone now. This is the player who left OKC to join a team that already won a championship. Coming back from a major injury in the shadow of the NYC media is his nightmare. He would go to the Clippers, if Kawhi was going there. Kawhi goes to the Lakers instead, so KD goes to the Nets.

What happens to the Clippers and Knicks? The usual in free agency. They make big offers to stars and don't land anyone.

The Knicks end up making huge 1 and/or 2 year deals to DeMarcus Cousins, Julius Randle, and Terry Rozier because they need to spend 60 million to reach the NBA minimum. Knicks let RJ and MRob develop into All-stars and add 3 more 1st round picks over the next 2 seasons. Knicks have big cap space again in 2021 and with 2 stars on the roster and a Boston Celtic-like collection of former lottery picks on the roster, they become a team that for once is in serious consideration for big free agents.

Those are my predictions. Feel free to jump in with predictions before this thread should become real news.

mafra

Legend
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
Reporting w/ @RamonaShelburne: Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard have been discussing free agent scenarios that could include a future with them playing together. For now, there are two clear possibilities for them to sign into the same franchise: Clippers and Knicks. Story soon.

tiger0330

Legend
Two surprises in FA that we don’t have to wait until Sunday for. Daren Collison retiring for religious reasons and Nikola Mirotic returning to Europe to play for Barcelona. Mirotic was predicted to get a 40M deal so he must have taken a pay cut with Barcelona.

Nuggets exercise 30 million dollar option on Paul Millsap. Seems like a lot of money, but Denver doesn?t project to be a major player in free agency and they want to keep their core intact for another possible deep playoff run.

As predicted, Klay Thompson will likely be very quick to sign a 5-year 190 million dollar deal to stay with GSW once free agency opens. Klay is 29-years-old and just tore his ACL. GSW doing right by their guy rather than exploring other options with their money.

Sounds like Kemba is done with Charlotte not offering him the money he wants. Heading to Boston tomorrow. Likely to sign with Celtics.

TWolves reportedly have a deal in place with DeAngelo Russell. If the Nets get 2 stars and renounce Russell, seems like he is going to join KAT in Minnesota.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nuggets exercise 30 million dollar option on Paul Millsap. Seems like a lot of money, but Denver doesn’t project to be a major player in free agency and they want to keep their core intact for another possible deep playoff run.

Paul Millsap showed to be one of the Nuggets top team leadership players, plus keeping the Nuggets Locker-room discipline by helping the organization get rid of non team-ball players like Mudiay.
A few years back when the Atlanta Hawks had Millsap & Horford, I kept thinking the two star players were gonna make the Hawks the best team in the eastern conference.

For what it?s worth, this idea that Kawhi and Durant are planning on possibly coming to the Knicks together is ESPN screwing with Knick fans one last time before we find out over the coming days that no star is coming to the Knicks.

Knicks waive Lance Thomas. May end up resigning him though at a smaller contract.

Stephon Curry is flying with Warriors GM Myers to meet with KD in NY. One last attempt to convince KD to stay. Might work. This would leave GSW with 2 guys (KD and KT) making a combined 400+ million and both not able to play next season, not to mention questions about their level of play when they return.

Kemba Walker has reportedly informed the Hornets that he will be signing with the Boston Celtics when free agents are allowed to sign on July 6th.

Nice job by Boston to stay relevant.

This should clear the path for us to potentially sign Terry Rozier to a 1 or 2 year deal. His fit with DSJ I?m starting to wonder now though.

Broadway

All Star
I knew he was the most realistic target this whole time but of course Knicks act like they're signing everyone and anyone else....Oh Well

I knew he was the most realistic target this whole time but of course Knicks act like they're signing everyone and anyone else....Oh Well

Ha Ha! The return of Broadway! Just in time to join us to watch the Knicks crash and burn in free agency.

mafra

Legend
Kemba a 35-mil dollar player? Woah... I doubt he would?ve opted for Knicks over BOS bc he wants to win.

I think Rozier is a better fit for us, given age and contract commitment.

Sad when Rozier and Randle are your fallback options, after all the hype and dreams....

Still have 24 hrs to dream of KD/KL tho. Enjoy.

If I?m not mistaken, signing Kemba Walker uses all of Celtics potential cap space. Celtics will need to renounce Marcus Morris, in addition to renouncing Terry Rozier. Losing Horford too without the cap space to replace him. I wonder if Ainge has any deals in place to free up more cap space.

Kiyaman

Legend
Sounds like Kemba is done with Charlotte not offering him the money he wants. Heading to Boston tomorrow. Likely to sign with Celtics.

Sounds like Kemba believe his resigning salary should be the same as 3 championship rings FA Klay Thompson resign salary in GS SMH

As predicted, Klay Thompson will likely be very quick to sign a 5-year 190 million dollar deal to stay with GSW once free agency opens. Klay is 29-years-old and just tore his ACL. GSW doing right by their guy rather than exploring other options with their money.

Klay Thompson is the number #1 FA I wanted for the Knicks to go after first in the off-season, Durant was a 2nd option, and Kyrie I did not want on either NY teams. Klay as a Knick would be a huge help in developing and choosing the right young-core guards to call Keepers.

I'd argue we need at least 2 FA stars to have enough of a talent base to contend and to make this place attractive enough without losing too many assets. Look at how deep the championship teams are, and look at where our Knicks are.
We are still a few years away AND we need to get lucky in the 2019 off-season FA market.

Kiyaman

Legend
If I’m not mistaken, signing Kemba Walker uses all of Celtics potential cap space. Celtics will need to renounce Marcus Morris, in addition to renouncing Terry Rozier. Losing Horford too without the cap space to replace him. I wonder if Ainge has any deals in place to free up more cap space.

Signing Kemba to a big contract, losing Horford & Rozier to FA, it sounds like the Boston Celtricks are making 3 step backwards LMAO

mafra

Legend
Anyway... sounds like KD wants Knicks, but with Kyrie going to Brooklyn (supposedly), then maybe KD trying to bring Kawhi with him...

Would KD come here alone?

Knicks need to act swiftly... don?t loose out on Rozier and Randle chasing pipe dreams...