Folded_Laundry_Transparent.jpg

D'Antoni: Shumpert may start on Friday
January, 5, 2012
JAN 5
2:18
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Ian Begley
New York Knicks rookie Iman Shumpert may have played his way into the starting lineup.

Mike D'Antoni said on Thursday that he could insert Shumpert into the Knicks' starting five as early as Friday night at Washington.

"I think you do consider it," D'Antoni said. "Now, we'll see if we do it or not. He's obviously going to play a big part one way or the other, and we'll just try to figure out the best way to go."

Shumpert has impressed coaches and veterans with his aggressive play. He is averaging 14.5 points, two assists and 4.5 rebounds in two games. He missed four games with a sprained right MCL but returned Wednesday night against the Bobcats.

The 2011 first-round pick scored 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting, pulled down five rebounds and handed out three assists in the Knicks' 118-110 loss.

He left the game with cramps in both legs but D'Antoni said he would be fine for Friday's game.

D'Antoni left open the possibly of Shumpert playing either position in the backcourt but he would likely start at shooting guard, taking Landry Fields' place in the lineup.

Wargames

Starter
yeah I can see it making sense. Move Fields to the bench to back Melo maybe, also when Baron comes back that is a strong starting 5 right there.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Good for both of them

I think this will be good for Fields as well. He just isn't as effective as a starter since Melo arrived. I think he will thrive as a backup, especially if they use him when Stat is on the floor and Melo is on the bench.

In the long run, Iman was always going to start anyway. It makes more sense for him to start learning the two-guard position sooner rather than later, so he remains a starter when Baron Davis gets healthy.

Also, Douglas is starting to get better as a distributor although he will never be a true point guard. So it is better for him to continue to learn the point as a starter for now, so he is a more effective distributor off the bench later on.

I truly hope that this does not crush Field's confidence, but instead he learns to thrive as a bench player.

KingCharles34

All Star
Fields better not be a b*tch about having a lesser role

Im looking forward to the moment when Iman Shumpmerk gets the rookie of the year award. its a wrap

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
the question I ask is should it be Douglas + Shump or Douglas + Fields

it was brief, but I saw Fields feeding off Shumperts energy when shump was the most active on o and d

i liked our big lineup then too and thought it confused charlottes bullshit O

KingofNy

Starter
Fields better not be a b*tch about having a lesser role

Im looking forward to the moment when Iman Shumpmerk gets the rookie of the year award. its a wrap

I'm not sure I like Shump starting over Fields just yet, but I wouldn't mind him getting starters minutes. We need his speed and penetration and ability to hit the hole. Lets hope he doesn't hurt himself again in the process.

Although I don't want Shump to take over the starting position just yet, I think Fields getting demoted might help his motivation a little bit. Hopefully his confidence doesn't get lower than it already is. Fields normally starts off hot to start the game and then sizzles out.

I see Shump as a Starks like player who comes in off the bench as a 6th man to give us speed while we're crashing.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think one of the main reasons Fields isn't doing well is because he's...you know, EXPECTED to do so well.

Put him on the bench, reduce his role, and let Shumpert take the spotlight so that Fields can go back to just working on his game and being the high-IQ player he was last year.

Seriously it is really astounding how much worse he's gotten.

Red

TYPE-A
I think one of the main reasons Fields isn't doing well is because he's...you know, EXPECTED to do so well.

Put him on the bench, reduce his role, and let Shumpert take the spotlight so that Fields can go back to just working on his game and being the high-IQ player he was last year.

Seriously it is really astounding how much worse he's gotten.

How? You couldn't tell last years playoffs?

It seemed obvious- especially if you remove the rose colored glasses.

Shump plays D, Melo & Stat recognize and have demanded him over passive Bambi Fields, and so its so.

Now watch 'Antoni try his best to ruin Shump.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
People laughed when right after the draft I compared him to Wade. This kid is going to be the steal of the draft. I see him being like Arenas in his prime in a few short years.

fender0577

Rotation player
I loved fields last year, mainly his rebounding and his IQ, but this shump kid looks like a star, talent wise at least.I love melo, but i'm not to sure i want him learning everything from him, melo is a little selfish sometimes.I think Boom dizzle would be a perfect mentor, he could teach him the little things like creating passing angles, and how to use his speed to his advantage.Sorry MR fields it's time to sit, shump looks to have a much higher ceiling.

Red

TYPE-A
People laughed when right after the draft I compared him to Wade. This kid is going to be the steal of the draft. I see him being like Arenas in his prime in a few short years.

Can we fire A'ntoni now PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE?

Don't rush it bro.

Wade is a possible hall of famer, Arenas a multiple All-Star, I don't see that in Shumpert yet.

He's been allright to good so far, but I think Knick fans tend to overhype him because of the garbage our other players have offered so far.

He'll be a good player for years to come, but All-Star? Not sure about that, but never say never.

A lot of rookies have been impressive so far, which is quite nice, because last year's class largely sucked during their rookie season.

A player that hugely impressed me so far is Kawhi Leonard of San Antonio, that kid can flat out ball, has Gerald Wallace type potential in him, a real steal for the Spurs and a top notch coach in Greg Popovich by his side.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Don't rush it bro.

Wade is a possible hall of famer, Arenas a multiple All-Star, I don't see that in Shumpert yet.

He's been allright to good so far, but I think Knick fans tend to overhype him because of the garbage our other players have offered so far.

He'll be a good player for years to come, but All-Star? Not sure about that, but never say never.

A lot of rookies have been impressive so far, which is quite nice, because last year's class largely sucked during their rookie season.

A player that hugely impressed me so far is Kawhi Leonard of San Antonio, that kid can flat out ball, has Gerald Wallace type potential in him, a real steal for the Spurs and a top notch coach in Greg Popovich by his side.

My only comparison to Wade was the type of two-way game they both play and their athleticism. If Shump could ever get to Wades level as a player I would be ecstatic but I def think he can achieve Arenas prime stature.

Last edited: