Knicks @ Pistons Nov 28

Release Randolph and give Ronnie's arthritis a night off?

• Total voters

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
This is where leadership from Stat was really important. Without him, the Knicks might have lost heart. Also, great thing we have Fields: he's like a veteran, less than a fourth into the season. He gave us a lot of intangibles.

We need Azubuke back, to see if he can give us a really nice back court duo, with Felton, not to mention a 1-2 punch of Stat and Azabuke. Then we can have a really powerful bench, with Gallo or Chandler and Fields on a second unit.

Good thing about the last two is that we beat the team we had to beat, which was Detroit. In the past, one of our biggest problems was losing to teams we were supposed to beat.

elcol

Rotation player
gritty win, 3 pointer was lifesaver for knicks. this time we have a reason to give away 110+ points.

:gony:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Gallo + Chandler + Fields were huge in the 2nd OT. Great game by Amare. Felton finally picked it up in the 4th.

Sloppy win but I'll take it. We're beating the teams we're supposed to.

jpz17

Starter
well we know this season at worst will be better than last year as long as it doesn't completely BLOW up. so, yay for that!

at best, we can be a good threat in the playoffs with a solid record.

I'm happy

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
STAT keeps getting better, this is his team and he's playing like it. and the best part is the other players are buying into it and they are playing with urgency. in past years we wouldve crumbled in a game like this yet we kept composer and came away with a well deserved W.

Felton came up big in the 4th through the rest of the game. i keep getting more and more sold and impressed with this dude with each passing day. he's earned his place and all-star consideration. Gallo continues to be our xfactor he's playing well we play well we need him to stay on his game. sure some games he'll be bad and we come away from a W but for the most part we need his consistent effort.

we'll have Dougie and Turiaf back vs the nets so we should win that game. my thing is we need to start winning some home games establish that and we'll be a 6 seed easy were showing toughness on the road which i love. if we could match that intensity at home were a force team that could surprise some people down the stretch. once Azubukie come's back were adding another piece to a team that's already dangerous.

as for fields; i cant say enough great things about this kid, should be ROTY if you look at what he's added to the team. imagine that story 2nd round ROY!:cool: wont happen though. but still.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Just got done watching on DVR. Very nice win today!! We easily could have lost this one.

Gallo had a real learning experience day. He got absolutely reamed by Mike D, used continually by (don't let 'em go left, he's unstoppable going that way!!) Tashaun Prince, but came threw in the end in part because of the trust Felton and Fields showed in him on those 3's. Gotta love it!

The system really showed itself well thru the execution today too. The SSOL can be deadly in OT. We basically put the game away w two shots. The Fields 3 was icing.

By moving the ball after either STAT or Felton drives in the paint and kicks back out we can get the shots we want --- GOOD OPEN LOOKS. Guys just have to knock down shots. The ball must move though.. Our guys have to commit to executing the O correctly this way. They really ran the high screen and roll well tnite. It was a big part of the game today.

Fields is a revelation! The man just hustles, hits open shots and plays his heart out on D. Let 'em continue to start once Azzy comes back 100% if he's gonna play like this. Go Knicks!!! :peace::gony::peace:

Really liked this game, loved the heart our team showed.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I honestly had no idea there was a game today until I checked ESPN at 3. Luckily I saw the ending lol. Looking at the lack of replies, I'm guessing that I'm not the only one not to realize that lol.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Great thread, Crazy8s. This was a fun game to watch. Stoudemire played great, and Chandler showed up tonight.

Sage

Rotation player
Great thread guys, I completely missed the game so good to read up on how it went.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The 3 ball nearly loses us another game.

Knicks Win!!!! NICE!!!

-STAT with a monster game. Loved his activity tonight.
-Fields! This kid is a gift from the gods. Detroit's announcers were getting moist about his game.
-Wil with an amazing opening quarter - Detroit had no answer for his combination of strength and athleticism, he should have been given iso's.
-Gallo was clutch again with 2 big 3s - phew!
-Ray had flashes of brilliance, some great passing - what happened to his penetration game?
-We missed Ronnie.
-The Gov couldn't catch herpes
-Randolph came in and stunk it up.
-A Williams sighting!!!
-Gotta feel for the Pistons paying all that money to Ben Gordon to SUCK!

We won the game, but it shouldn't have ever gotten past regulation.

The system really showed itself well thru the execution today too. The SSOL can be deadly in OT. We basically put the game away w two shots. The Fields 3 was icing.

Not when the game was on the line it didn't.

Gallo took a 3 at the end of regulation which missed, forcing OT. Then in OT, we do the same again from Chandler. That wasn't SSOL, that was counting down the clock in a tied game, only to chuck a bomb at the basket instead of drawing a foul. That's not smart basketball, that's pathetic.

Why are we throwing 3s in a tied game, with the last shot, against a small front court, while the other team's in foul trouble?

Obviously stoked that we won, but that was a poor showing with the game on the line. Luckily, the 3 won it for us in the end, but shooting them in a tied game on the last shot - STUPID! And we did it twice.

Offensive genius?

What about a drawn up play or a time out?
:gony:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
lol. and we settle for another 3 in the last second. but Wilson takes it. lol.

Have our players ever thought of maybe penetrating, even a little, and trying to make something happen.

+1

Do we not have a play drawn up for these situations? We weren't down 2.
:shrug:

iSaYughh

Starter
+1

Do we not have a play drawn up for these situations? We weren't down 2.
:shrug:

The first one that Gallo took I could live with; it certainly wasn't his fault they shot it back to him with a second left while he was sittitng back.

But him sitting back should have presented better opportunity to make a play I side. Especially when STAT couldn't be contained.

But it was a decent look he had, a solid catch n shoot for a guy who can butter his bread doing that. Still rubbed be wrong taking a 3 in such a spot, but I moved on.

The one Wilson heaved was an abomination. For better or worse, Gallo's game is defined by his ability and image of being able to nail down the long shot. Wilson's? No. And he was scoring at will with filthy moves around the basket at that point.

I think what we saw as an SSOL...breakdown. You said it wasn't there, Crazy, and I'd agree.

The difficulty of SSOL is that it's prolly pretty tough from a player perspective to not get lazy or take the simple route of settling for 3s.

On the Wiilson Heave, you could kinda see them just thrashing the ball around to each other, maniacally, all kinda camped around the perimeter, until time predictably necessitated Wilson do what he did.

That's *not* SSOL. Well. It is SSOL -- it's just a classic example of what can go wrong with it in practice. Not as a theoretical model or philosophy of play; but what can happen in actuality, with real players making decisions in the heat of battle.

Nash's supreme confidence and excellence in knowing all this, and being able go execute was the real rub with that Sun's team and SSOL -- Nash's actual skill set of course was very good and nice, but the mentality can't be overstated. It's the hook.

****and precisely why guys can have their game and perceived skill set get elevated with SSOL, even when they are 30 or skills really are constant and the same****

We won. We also saw, IMHO, a pretty great archetypal example of how it can breakdown in the actual playing of games. This doesn't discredit "SSOL" as rubbish or that it's a fail; but it's a...maybe the....main pitfall of it.

Plus, D'Antoni must get better at drawing up plays in CHOREOGRAPHED, or telegraphed situations. Not the chaos and bedlam where he seems to actually thrive. Classic situations, simple and simpler stuff that makes you go WTF. Like following big timeouts when you need just 2, or a foul, or gotta get it inside to X-player.

A wins a win. Haven't done this on road in a decade. We're .500. In the real hunt for a playoff birth, and could even fight for a 6th seed potentially. Azzy coming back.

And guys like Felton should just get better with SSOL, as STAT further emboldens our team as winners with passion.

So :gony:

mafra

Legend
Of course on an afternoon we are shorthanded (and we do struggle in these early games), and given it was the 2nd game of a back-2-back..... Of course we had to go to double OT in a game we were playing short (sans Turiaf and Douglas).

Surprised Walker didn't play more. Surprised Randolph didn't get back in there.

But the starting five came up huge. CLose all game. We never really led in the 2nd half until late 4th.... Blew two leads on regulation and OT, but kept charging.

7-4 on the road is nice. but why do we take care of biz on the road against bteams we should beat, but not so much at home?

Fields had some huge moments. STAT leads by example again. Chandler disappeared after a great start, and it took a while but GALLO came up clutch.

9-9 is fine. Not jumping for joy given the schedule. Let's just see what happens when the schedule starts to get tough.

AND PLZ beat the NETS!

petescud

Starter
It was a win with a team that lately is playing much better then a few weeks ago. We need to pick up out defense though (we're still allowing 105 points or something like that a game, which is too much for a playoff hopeful)

Got to say though that todays officials kept Detroit in the game (even in OT they weren't calling the game even)

How about those 3 huge 3 pointers from Felton in the 4th qtr

Great win...keep it up guys

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Why don't try Gallinari at PF?

Felton
Fields
Chandler
Gallo
Amare

Why not?

Because Gallo is S O F T Soft. He had no business in the ball game getting abused by Tayshaun Prince. Every time down the court in the 4th and the first overtime The Pistons got the ball to whoever was being guarded by Gallo. His one dimension play is getting old.

As I I have said before, I like the kid but I don't see what others see in him.

He is not an athlete, he is not a playmaker, he is not a defender or enforcer, he is not a rebounder. When he is not shooting well he is essentially a liability.

I can give credit where it due, as he was a big pat of the 5 game streak, but against good defenses and tougher players, Gallo reveals himself to be a step slow and very soft. Defenses key in on his 3 point shooting and make him a non factor, offenses exploit his slow feet and his soft post defense.

Until he shows me some of that calm command over the offense he had a few games ago against good defensive teams, he's a role player at best in my book.

knicksin60

Starter
The Knicks seem to always have their troubles against the Nets.

I can't remember the last time the Knicks had an easy win versus them.

Even as one of the worst teams in NBA history, the New Jersey Nets managed to beat the Knicks twice last season.

I hope the Knicks don't make Brook Lopez look like Hakeem Olajuwon and fall behind by 15 points in the first half to the Nets.

Let's go Knicks!

petescud

Starter
Sadly, i couldn't agree more. If there's a package foe Melo, i hope he's included

Because Gallo is S O F T Soft. He had no business in the ball game getting abused by Tayshaun Prince. Every time down the court in the 4th and the first overtime The Pistons got the ball to whoever was being guarded by Gallo. His one dimension play is getting old.

As I I have said before, I like the kid but I don't see what others see in him.

He is not an athlete, he is not a playmaker, he is not a defender or enforcer, he is not a rebounder. When he is not shooting well he is essentially a liability.

I can give credit where it due, as he was a big pat of the 5 game streak, but against good defenses and tougher players, Gallo reveals himself to be a step slow and very soft. Defenses key in on his 3 point shooting and make him a non factor, offenses exploit his slow feet and his soft post defense.

Until he shows me some of that calm command over the offense he had a few games ago against good defensive teams, he's a role player at best in my book.

CoolClyde

quick view

STAT = STUDMASTER GENERAL
FELTIP = TIRED in 2OT
GALLO = CLUTCHAPINI
FIELDS = MVP ROY
ANT RANDO = INVISIBLE MANDO
MOSCOW = FOUL PRONE, HANDS OF STONE
WEEDSON = STARTER
'ANTONI = DICKHEAD