Should the Knicks look at FA's?

smokes

Huge Member
At this point in the season there's very little left in the free agent pool, but looking at our lineup we might want to look at a late addition.

With Jeffries out and I believe Jordan currently in the D-League (probably will be recalled soon), our lineup is very small.

Chandler, Jorts, "Novak" are our only 3 available bigs right now possibly Jordan when he comes back but he's very very raw.

Would you rather take a gamble on Jordan/an FA or do you think Mike Woodson will prefer to go small?

Potential lineups:

Lin/Baron
Shump/Smith
Fields/Smith
Melo/Novak
Tyson/Jorts/Jordan

And that's if Melo even manages to play after the groin tweak. We all know what happened last time the groin took him out.

List of current free agents (updated 23/3) http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

TakMan

Rotation player
I'm fairly annoyed they released Balkman. It's true he cannot re-sign is it not?

Sheed for the 4?

EDIT:

I see Oden and Wilcox on that list. Oden probably not worth it.....Wilcox could be of use.

smokes

Huge Member
We had to release someone. I guess it should have maybe been Bibby though.

Also I wouldn't judge that list as entirely accurate, I mean unless Sheed wants to make a comeback... He has been retired since 2010 :lol:

Caracter is really the only one I would even consider in that bunch but you never know what will happen people can get released at this point in the season, we've seen a couple of decent players get bought out recently like Diaw (SHOULD HAVE SIGNED).

Wilcox has heart issues that's why he was waived. I don't think he can play.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
very sucky list of FA lol, dont really want anyone on their maybe a DJ mbenga thats about it he's 7foot and can rebound and block a few shots.

BTW Jerome was on the bench at the knicks vs bucks game

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@smokes: Bibby's gone anyway after the season, the only problem is that Balkman's contract still counts against our payroll. Except of MB leaving and his spot being replaced by a 2nd rounder I don't see any changes... we'll have 8 players under contracts during the offseason + it's almost guaranteed we're going to resign Lintendo, Fields and Jeffries. We can also keep Walker, Novak and Davis unless they're willing to move somewhere else for more dough. IMO it will be the first Knicks offseason in years without any major changes.

Kiyaman

Legend
I thought Woody wouldve iron out a lot of the Knicks issues within his first 3 to 7 games as headcoach, his hiring in August was for the position he have now. WTF have Woody been doing since December?
Woody coaching talent is not skilled enough to add another player to the roster.

For Woody not to do overtime at working on a backup for Tyson Chandler (7.0 Jordan), a backup for Stat (6.10 Jorts), a backup for Melo (6.10 Novak), with Jefferies as the backups training-master on and off the court, starting the same day Dantoni was FIRED or resigned make me question Mike Woodson ability to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals....this season or next season

finestrg

Rotation player
Hearing now that STAT will be lost for approx. 4 weeks. My top choices that I think we could add on the cheap to immediately replace some of what he brought to the table at the 4-spot (cut Billy Walker to make room if need be):

(1) Jeff Adrien - no nonsense-type, good rebounder, tough, very strong, only 6'7" or so but with a long reach and strong base (plays bigger than 6'7"), DL all-star last yr where he showed more scoring than he did at U-Conn. As of last yr, he started wearing the same type of goggles STAT does during games. Not the overall player Amar'e is but I think he's already a better rebounder.

(2) Darnell Lazare - 6'8" 240-ish PF currently playing in the DL. Good interior scorer - post-up out to about 15-17'. Good mid-range J. Decent rebounder, about on-par with STAT. His offensive game at the PF spot is what makes him attractive.

(3) Joe Alexander - Very good in the DL last yr, currently playing in Russia. At 6'8" 230 he has the skills to play both 3 & 4. Has always been a supreme athlete. From what I saw of him in the NBDL last yr., he deserves another crack at the NBA. Limited range on the jumper, gets a lot of his offense 10' and in, running the court, on put backs etc. Was a very good rebounder last yr in the DL.

(4) DeShawn Sims - DL ROY last yr, went to go play in Korea, back in the DL this yr for the same team (Maine Red Claws). Supposedly suffered an ankle injury of some sort recently - not currently listed on Maine's NBDL roster (per wikipedia). If he's healthy, I'm interested. Very good offensive game -- strong post-up game with a good J out to the 3-pt line.

(5) Marcus Cousin - At 6'11.75" 255, he's more of a pure C-type but I think he could co-exist with Ty Chandler. EXCEPTIONAL mid-range jumper. One of the best mid-range Js I've ever seen from a 7 footer quite frankly. Plus he's got a nice post up game with good touch around the rim (baseline turnarounds, hooks over both shoulders)..DL all-star last yr. A good mix of power and finesse. Good rebounder that will hit the glass hard on both ends. A better C prospect than Jerome Jordan in my book--much better skills, NBA-rdy skills mind you. With his skill (on that deadly jumper alone) I can't believe he's not in the NBA right now. The dude can play and he seems like a very humble dude.

(6) Mehmet Okur - Jersey just traded him, Shawne Williams and a 2012 1st round pick to Portland for Gerald Wallace. Portland waived him a few days later on March 21. Has had a rough go of it the past couple of yrs, but before that, he was a very capable/serviceable big man for years with Utah. The man's a very skilled big man. Very good 3 pt shooter. I think he could play alongside Chandler at the 4 and help stretch the floor with his shooting. Not the ideal choice to replace STAT but we gotta work with what's available and who we could slide in for minimum money as we're over the cap and the trade deadline has already passed. Probably in the twilight of his career but I think this guy could come in here energized and might be able to help us. If Grunwald and co. are considering another big man now that STAT's gonna be out for awhile, I have a funny feeling this guy, with his NBA experience and skill set, is at the top of their list.

Who else? Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I thought Woody wouldve iron out a lot of the Knicks issues within his first 3 to 7 games as headcoach, his hiring in August was for the position he have now. WTF have Woody been doing since December?
Woody coaching talent is not skilled enough to add another player to the roster.

For Woody not to do overtime at working on a backup for Tyson Chandler (7.0 Jordan), a backup for Stat (6.10 Jorts), a backup for Melo (6.10 Novak), with Jefferies as the backups training-master on and off the court, starting the same day Dantoni was FIRED or resigned make me question Mike Woodson ability to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals....this season or next season

It's been 8 games with hardly any practice time. These things take time Kiya. Also consider that we are in the middle of a tight playoff race. There's just not enough time for all that right now. I think he's doing the best he can, considering.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Hearing now that STAT will be lost for approx. 4 weeks. My top choices that I think we could add on the cheap to immediately replace some of what he brought to the table at the 4-spot (cut Billy Walker to make room if need be):

(1) Jeff Adrien - no nonsense-type, good rebounder, tough, very strong, only 6'7" or so but with a long reach and strong base (plays bigger than 6'7"), DL all-star last yr where he showed more scoring than he did at U-Conn. As of last yr, he started wearing the same type of goggles STAT does during games. Not the overall player Amar'e is but I think he's already a better rebounder.

(2) Darnell Lazare - 6'8" 240-ish PF currently playing in the DL. Good interior scorer - post-up out to about 15-17'. Good mid-range J. Decent rebounder, about on-par with STAT. His offensive game at the PF spot is what makes him attractive.

(3) Joe Alexander - Very good in the DL last yr, currently playing in Russia. At 6'8" 230 he has the skills to play both 3 & 4. Has always been a supreme athlete. From what I saw of him in the NBDL last yr., he deserves another crack at the NBA. Limited range on the jumper, gets a lot of his offense 10' and in, running the court, on put backs etc. Was a very good rebounder last yr in the DL.

(4) DeShawn Sims - DL ROY last yr, went to go play in Korea, back in the DL this yr for the same team (Maine Red Claws). Supposedly suffered an ankle injury of some sort recently - not currently listed on Maine's NBDL roster (per wikipedia). If he's healthy, I'm interested. Very good offensive game -- strong post-up game with a good J out to the 3-pt line.

(5) Marcus Cousin - At 6'11.75" 255, he's more of a pure C-type but I think he could co-exist with Ty Chandler. EXCEPTIONAL mid-range jumper. One of the best mid-range Js I've ever seen from a 7 footer quite frankly. Plus he's got a nice post up game with good touch around the rim (baseline turnarounds, hooks over both shoulders)..DL all-star last yr. A good mix of power and finesse. Good rebounder that will hit the glass hard on both ends. A better C prospect than Jerome Jordan in my book--much better skills, NBA-rdy skills mind you. With his skill (on that deadly jumper alone) I can't believe he's not in the NBA right now. The dude can play and he seems like a very humble dude.

(6) Mehmet Okur - Jersey just traded him, Shawne Williams and a 2012 1st round pick to Portland for Gerald Wallace. Portland waived him a few days later on March 21. Has had a rough go of it the past couple of yrs, but before that, he was a very capable/serviceable big man for years with Utah. The man's a very skilled big man. Very good 3 pt shooter. I think he could play alongside Chandler at the 4 and help stretch the floor with his shooting. Not the ideal choice to replace STAT but we gotta work with what's available and who we could slide in for minimum money as we're over the cap and the trade deadline has already passed. Probably in the twilight of his career but I think this guy could come in here energized and might be able to help us. If Grunwald and co. are considering another big man now that STAT's gonna be out for awhile, I have a funny feeling this guy, with his NBA experience and skill set, is at the top of their list.

Who else? Anyone have any other ideas?

I think we should wait to see what our guys can do first. They have potential, they just need the minutes to perform. Cutting anyone should be the last option.

finestrg

Rotation player
I think we should wait to see what our guys can do first. They have potential, they just need the minutes to perform. Cutting anyone should be the last option.

Really? I'm not willing to wait this out bro. We have no interior scoring at all on this team now with Amar'e out...We just beat Milwaukee last night to go up 2.5 games for that 8th spot. We have to make the playoffs. It's not even like we can tank the rest of the way and set up for the draft -- we don't have a 1st round pick this summer. Gotta go for it. I want another PF/C type that can score the ball a little. Chandler's great at what he does but he's not really a scorer (no jumper, no post game); Jorts showed some promise but he's in no way a go-to offensive player and Jerome Jordan is not ready for the NBA at all.

The roster's at 15 right now -- in order to make room for another player, we're gonna need to waive Billy Walker. What's the point in keeping this guy around? Dude's been hurt and even if he wasn't, there's no room for him (we have more than enough wings, guys that are better players) and he sucks anyway. I don't think he factors in the rest of the way this year or in the future. He won't be asked back next yr. Cut him and bring in the best big they can find (preferably one that can score it in close) and continue to push for the playoffs. And for the record, I don't like Melo at the 4 -- I just don't see him holding up physically after all he's had to deal with this yr (supposedly last night, he re-tweaked the hammy) guarding bigger players. With STAT out, everything really hinges on Melo now---trying to get him right, get him comfortable, etc. I don't want him playing out of position. If he's gonna turn it around, he needs to be at his regular position.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
FWIW, I think management should take a look at Rasheed Wallace. The last time I saw him, he was in the NBA Finals and looked like he still had a lot left in the tank.

I would love to see Sheed wearing the O & B

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@nyk_nyk: finestrg is nuts about bringing unproven college/DL players to the Knicks, every single time someone's injured or we're about to free up a spot he makes helluva list of all available college/DL players we could sign. Not hating, just saying. ;)

finestrg

Rotation player
@nyk_nyk: finestrg is nuts about bringing unproven college/DL players to the Knicks, every single time someone's injured or we're about to free up a spot he makes helluva list of all available college/DL players we could sign. Not hating, just saying. ;)

What the hell are we supposed to do man? Proceed the rest of the way with ZERO interior scoring every game, thinking that Jorts and Jerome Jordan can somehow replace Amar'e Stoudemire?!?!? Or better yet, move Melo, who's been playing poorly most of the season for a variety of reasons, out of his natural SF position and into STAT's PF spot and expect him to suddenly regain top form or close to it? Nah...Not what I'd do... Easy call for me: they need to make better use of Billy Walker's wasted roster spot and bring in another big, preferably one who can score it a little bit, to help the cause...If I'm Woody I want that option.. In fact, I'd be reaching out to mgmt at this point telling them that I NEED that option.

As far as coming up with lists of DL players/Euros/relative unknowns etc. goes, it's because I KNOW we can add them with little or no problem. I never talk pie-in-the-sky with anything around here. I always trying to remain grounded and realistic...Face facts -- we're over the cap at this point and are severely limited on what we can do to improve the team. We ain't gonna find no Karl Malone in his prime out there to replace Amar'e. Those guys aren't available and even if they were, the trade deadline has come and gone...Our only hope is to target the best bargin-bin big man, hope he accepts a league minimum salary for the rest of the way, bring him in for the rest of the season and hope for the best...If you see a better way of improving the team at this juncture, tell me what it is.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter

Who was available that first week? Dude was just trying to get the team to win some games to start with. The same guys that are available today are the same ones that were available two weeks ago when he took over. We have NO trade assets to get the kind of guys he wants as backups and the trade deadline was pretty much over when he took over.

smokes

Huge Member
What the hell are we supposed to do man? Proceed the rest of the way with ZERO interior scoring every game, thinking that Jorts and Jerome Jordan can somehow replace Amar'e Stoudemire?!?!? Or better yet, move Melo, who's been playing poorly most of the season for a variety of reasons, out of his natural SF position and into STAT's PF spot and expect him to suddenly regain top form or close to it? Nah...Not what I'd do... Easy call for me: they need to make better use of Billy Walker's wasted roster spot and bring in another big, preferably one who can score it a little bit, to help the cause...If I'm Woody I want that option.. In fact, I'd be reaching out to mgmt at this point telling them that I NEED that option.

As far as coming up with lists of DL players/Euros/relative unknowns etc. goes, it's because I KNOW we can add them with little or no problem. I never talk pie-in-the-sky with anything around here. I always trying to remain grounded and realistic...Face facts -- we're over the cap at this point and are severely limited on what we can do to improve the team. We ain't gonna find no Karl Malone in his prime out there to replace Amar'e. Those guys aren't available and even if they were, the trade deadline has come and gone...Our only hope is to target the best bargin-bin big man, hope he accepts a league minimum salary for the rest of the way, bring him in for the rest of the season and hope for the best...If you see a better way of improving the team at this juncture, tell me what it is.

Good post dude but I'd still rather cut Bibby than Walker. Bibby is totally useless other than as a cheerleader.

Between Lin, Baron, Shump and JR we can manage ball-handling duties even if Baron or Lin are out for a game or two.

I think honestly if Melo's injury is not bad he will step up. He's going to get so many more touches. His shot was starting to fall yesterday. He's gonna take a ton of confidence into his next game.

Marcus Cousin is definitely an intriguing prospect I'd agree the best thing about him is he does force spacing from the defense which works GREAT for the 1/5 pnr. Jorts could possibly do this too, if he could find the kind of form he had on his jumpshot in December.

Other than him I don't see much promise but there's no reason a decent FA might pop up...

Kiya does have a point, it's not like there's been no useful FA's popping up since Woody took over. Diaw, Turiaf and JJ Hickson immediately come to mind. I loved JJ Hickson's hustly energy and defense as a Cavalier. It's not just Woodson though, our entire front office should have been making moves for these guys. We undoubtedly have dead weight on our roster which could have been trimmed.

KingofNy

Starter
Good post dude but I'd still rather cut Bibby than Walker. Bibby is totally useless other than as a cheerleader.

Between Lin, Baron, Shump and JR we can manage ball-handling duties even if Baron or Lin are out for a game or two.

I think honestly if Melo's injury is not bad he will step up. He's going to get so many more touches. His shot was starting to fall yesterday. He's gonna take a ton of confidence into his next game.

Marcus Cousin is definitely an intriguing prospect I'd agree the best thing about him is he does force spacing from the defense which works GREAT for the 1/5 pnr. Jorts could possibly do this too, if he could find the kind of form he had on his jumpshot in December.

Other than him I don't see much promise but there's no reason a decent FA might pop up...

Kiya does have a point, it's not like there's been no useful FA's popping up since Woody took over. Diaw, Turiaf and JJ Hickson immediately come to mind. I loved JJ Hickson's hustly energy and defense as a Cavalier. It's not just Woodson though, our entire front office should have been making moves for these guys. We undoubtedly have dead weight on our roster which could have been trimmed.

I agree that we should cut Bibby, he's been worthless out there. How is he even seeing the court? The dude stands around on both sides of the court and when he does try to play D, he falls over and then can't get back up. I swear I could go to my local basketball court and close my eyes and point at a random player on the court and he'd be better than Bibby. Dude is horrid. I agree we need some interior offense/defense or else Chandler will be hurt next from being the only guy down low playing D.