Game thread: New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics 7:30 10/20/2018 [Game #3]

tiger0330

Legend
I don't like Lance and Knits in the starting lineup...We need more Robinson. What happened to Knox guys?
Same here, LT is not a starter in any other team. He brings intangibles but we need a starting caliber guy that brings intangibles. I'm not sold on Nits either, he's improved this year but we need a way better shooter at his spot.

Same here, LT is not a starter in any other team. He brings intangibles but we need a starting caliber guy that brings intangibles. I'm not sold on Nits either, he's improved this year but we need a way better shooter at his spot.

I?d like to see Hezonja get Lance Thomas? minutes. LT only player 17 minutes tonight, despite starting, but Hezonja only got 10 minutes. Fizdale certainly has other options to mix things up too.

tiger0330

Legend
I’d like to see Hezonja get Lance Thomas’ minutes. LT only player 17 minutes tonight, despite starting, but Hezonja only got 10 minutes. Fizdale certainly has other options to mix things up too.
I see Knits only played 19mins hardly starters mins. Not sure about Hezonja either, that was his problem with the Magic, he was inconsistent, today 1-5 for 2pts. The season opener, disappeared the 1st half but a great 2nd half. Too inconsistent to be a 30 min starter imo.

Broadway

All Star
I see Knits only played 19mins hardly starters mins. Not sure about Hezonja either, that was his problem with the Magic, he was inconsistent, today 1-5 for 2pts. The season opener, disappeared the 1st half but a great 2nd half. Too inconsistent to be a 30 min starter imo.

Fair assessment but a guy like Hezonja needs to get consistent minutes when Orlando finally committed to doing so he produced extremely well. He's better than a 10-15min role and we're supposed to be "developing" our youth. The only young player I see who's fully allowed to "do you"(pause) is Trier

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Tonight a perfect example of why it?s almost impossible to watch an NBA game... the officiating is so awful it truly mars the entire experience.

It?s like there were 2 entirely different crews working tonight. They called nothing in the first half... everything was a play-on... then, in the second half, the refs must?ve blew the whistle 60 times. It was excruciating... unwatchable.

How is something a foul in the third quarter but not the second.

Then that sixth foul on Kanter was tough to swallow. A clean strip (but, like I said earlier when BOS swung arm down on a Knick... ref always calls it, even with no contact... just unfortunately didn?t call it for us in the first half).... There should be able to review these things... like how they overturn bad calls in MLB.

And, a shame, bc Knits had an awful game. I?m not even talking about his missed shots... Too passive early, then when he gets aggressive his decision-making was pathetic.

Still... the team fought and fought and fought and battled... I give them credit. It was a sluggish affair. Third game in 4th night. Tough for these players, especially when they have no idea how they game will be called quarter to quarter.

mafra

Legend
Bottom Line: Knicks lost this game bc they shot 17/27 from the FT line. Well, that and also b/c BOS appeared to be just going thru the motions. It?s almost like they knew they would win, or if forced to make the play to win when necessary... they obviously have little respect for us... It didn?t even look like they were trying.

Knicks on pace for 27-55.

Let?s go L-O-T-T-E-R-Y. We need 1 more lottery stud, to go with a max free agent. Then, with KP, next year we should finally be able to compete for a playoff spot.

mafra

Legend
Trey takes the 3 gets fouled and misses 2 of 3 fts.

I was excited for a split-second about the Tatum boner, but then I remembered we are the Knicks. No way Burke was sinking all 3 FTs. Especially since we had already missed 8 of 24 attempts.

Of course, TB left little room for suspense (choking on the first shot). But, we fans should?ve seen that coming a mile away.

Anyway, this season isn?t about wins and losses. We showed up and competed... the future looks bright.

mafra

Legend
After last night, Fizdale said:

?He and that kid [LeVert] went to college together and they were going at it,? Fizdale told reporters on Saturday. ?So he was really trying to win that battle. I commend him for that. That?s why there was no way I was taking him off that kid on the last possession. I?m trying to make Timmy into a complete basketball player. He needed to go through that and take that challenge.

?Hey the kid scored, but he learned from it and he knows I believe in him as a defender now.??

?I want you guys to look at it like this,? he said. ?There was a day I played. If I was in a game playing against a college teammate, and we?ve been going tit for tat ? 28, 29 (points), back and forth, back and forth. And the last play of the game, coach goes ahead and says, ?I?m gonna put him [somebody else] on LeVert], I might lose Timmy. That could crush him.?

Instead of switching defenders, Fizdale said he let Hardaway learn the hard way. It?s trial by fire for a player he wants to turn into a capable defender.

?This is a development year. That?s part of Timmy?s development. He?s gotta take that challenge,? he said. ?I can?t hide him. He?s gotta dig in and get that stop. And he didn?t get it last night, but he knows I believe he can. And we?re gonna keep working at it. It was just a personnel breakdown. He knew that kid wanted to go right. He let him get right. We?ll fix that issue. Next time, we?ll get the stop.?

?So that?s what it?s about. It?s not about me trying to manipulate a situation to hopefully win a game. The areas that I?m trying to get these to be better at when it comes up in a game, I gotta let them go through that. I can?t hide em from it.?

Fizdale is walking on a tight rope. On one end, he wants this basketball team to compete for as many wins as it can string together. On the other end, he wants to develop his guys into complete players, even if it means giving up a game-winning basket.

??//

Tonight, same situation and same result. Not THjr?s fault tonight, for Tatum sunk a tough fade-away... but, coach, how about sending a double and forcing JT to give up the rock and let somebody else beat you!

mafra

Legend
?It?s very difficult,? Burke said. ?My teammates did a great job of keeping my head up. As a point guard, I know I can knock those down in my sleep. Tonight I missed the first one. I have to live with that. I felt I let my teammates down. I know I can be better on that end of the court and will be.?

Burke, who finished with 11 points and nine assists, is a career 79 percent free-throw shooter.

Perhaps to take the heat off Burke?s botched free throw, Fizdale said he ruined the situation by calling ?a stink play.? Burke said it was for Tim Hardaway Jr.

?Oh, I stunk that play up,? Fizdale said. ?I drew up a crap play for them. Somehow we got three free throws, but I drew a crap play. It was terrible. That?s the first thing I said to the team. I own that. That was a bad play and I had two really good plays I could?ve looked at. It was the stink play.?

Tatum wasn?t upset at the call.

?I didn?t give him a chance to land,? Tatum said.

(NY Post)

Just read online that Clarence Gaines has apparently gone on the attack on Twitter, heavily criticizing Mario Hezonja. Is there anything about the PJ era that was conducted professionally? What a bunch of trolls.

tiger0330

Legend
Gaines was explaining why you didn't see more if Mario when Knox went down, questioning his toughness and D compared to Brown and Tatum. I had a similar question about his guy Ntilikina, why he wasn't there in crunch time at the end, Fiz didn't trust the guy Gaines and PJ selected at 8. He's not a 3, never will be, he's there because THJ and Trey are better at the positions he should be playing.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Gaines was explaining why you didn't see more if Mario when Knox went down, questioning his toughness and D compared to Brown and Tatum. I had a similar question about his guy Ntilikina, why he wasn't there in crunch time at the end, Fiz didn't trust the guy Gaines and PJ selected at 8. He's not a 3, never will be, he's there because THJ and Trey are better at the positions he should be playing.

I don't like Mario. I hope he stays warming the bench all season.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Bottom Line: Knicks lost this game bc they shot 17/27 from the FT line. Well, that and also b/c BOS appeared to be just going thru the motions. It’s almost like they knew they would win, or if forced to make the play to win when necessary... they obviously have little respect for us... It didn’t even look like they were trying.

Knicks on pace for 27-55.

Let’s go L-O-T-T-E-R-Y. We need 1 more lottery stud, to go with a max free agent. Then, with KP, next year we should finally be able to compete for a playoff spot.

Barrett or Williamson? :smokin:

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Fair assessment but a guy like Hezonja needs to get consistent minutes when Orlando finally committed to doing so he produced extremely well. He's better than a 10-15min role and we're supposed to be "developing" our youth. The only young player I see who's fully allowed to "do you"(pause) is Trier

I think Mario is getting outplayed by the other guys in practice, thats why Fiz ain't giving him minutes. You also can't give minutes to someone who barely plays defense.

mafra

Legend
Tommy Beer
@TommyBeer
Per
@bball_ref
:

Coming into this season, Willis Reed was the only rookie in Knicks franchise history to score at least 15 points in each of his first two career games at Madison Square Garden.

Allonzo Trier joined Willis with another 15-point effort tonight.

I get the concerns about Hezonja?s defense, but I don?t want to see a repeat of the WHG situation from last year. I want Hezonja to get a chance to play before we decide he isn?t good enough.

Kiyaman

Legend
After last night, Fizdale said:

?He and that kid [LeVert] went to college together and they were going at it,? Fizdale told reporters on Saturday. ?So he was really trying to win that battle. I commend him for that. That?s why there was no way I was taking him off that kid on the last possession. I?m trying to make Timmy into a complete basketball player. He needed to go through that and take that challenge.

?Hey the kid scored, but he learned from it and he knows I believe in him as a defender now.??

?I want you guys to look at it like this,? he said. ?There was a day I played. If I was in a game playing against a college teammate, and we?ve been going tit for tat ? 28, 29 (points), back and forth, back and forth. And the last play of the game, coach goes ahead and says, ?I?m gonna put him [somebody else] on LeVert], I might lose Timmy. That could crush him.?

Instead of switching defenders, Fizdale said he let Hardaway learn the hard way. It?s trial by fire for a player he wants to turn into a capable defender.

?This is a development year. That?s part of Timmy?s development. He?s gotta take that challenge,? he said. ?I can?t hide him. He?s gotta dig in and get that stop. And he didn?t get it last night, but he knows I believe he can. And we?re gonna keep working at it. It was just a personnel breakdown. He knew that kid wanted to go right. He let him get right. We?ll fix that issue. Next time, we?ll get the stop.?

?So that?s what it?s about. It?s not about me trying to manipulate a situation to hopefully win a game. The areas that I?m trying to get these to be better at when it comes up in a game, I gotta let them go through that. I can?t hide em from it.?

Fizdale is walking on a tight rope. On one end, he wants this basketball team to compete for as many wins as it can string together. On the other end, he wants to develop his guys into complete players, even if it means giving up a game-winning basket.

??//

Tonight, same situation and same result. Not THjr?s fault tonight, for Tatum sunk a tough fade-away... but, coach, how about sending a double and forcing JT to give up the rock and let somebody else beat you!

If I was a head coach .. I would not admit that i put a player first, instead of putting the team first to win the game.
Especially for a player that never showed much defensive-effort, nor has he ever gain the confidence of hitting the last shot in his 5 yr career in the NBA.
Fizdale look to be on his way to becoming another Dolan Puppet coach .. All the Knicks coaches I guess be hoping they could become a long employed coach by acting like Dolan puppet announcer Walt Frazier .. An announcer who use the term Team when referring to the Knicks high paid players performance on the court .. Now when THJ make mistake after mistake, we fans would hear Walt Frazier say "the Knicks team made another mistake, or in the many games when THJ are shooting 30% from fg and keep on shooting on every offensive possession, we fans would hear Walt say on every THJ miss shot "the Knicks Team has been shooting poorly tonight.".

In the final 5 minute of the game (crunch time), i watch 2nd season Tatum score score score score on defender Timmy!
If u watch the game Boston first and last points were scored on Timmy as the defender !!!

It was nice of Fizdale to admit the final play decision was his fault, and not Burke.
One! Burke never should have been the player taking out the ball!
Two! Everybody and their Mama knew the play was written up for THJ to take a 3!
Three! Frank should have taken the ball out!
Four! The so-call play written up were not organized!
Five! There were no picks or screens or design area for Knick players to be in before 5 seconds ran off the clock to pass the ball to.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
I?m leaning towards baby LeBron right now. Williamson... but will watch and see whom I think is best prospect... what about you?

Yea same here, he looks unstoppable. Right now he's the only reason I'm not that mad when we lose :lol: