I think we have a realistic shot at D12 and CP3...

smokes

Huge Member
Ok, hear me out.

Dwight has been saying he wants to stay in Orlando, of course, he has a year and a bit left on his deal. Why anger the fans? But when you think of the type of player Dwight is now, his huge personality etc. Wouldn't it make sense for him to be playing in LA or NY?

Anyway on to the specifics.

So Orlando right now have a worse roster than last year. This year they lose Jason Richardson and are over the salary cap. I don't know if they can re-sign him but that's not the point really. They have Arenas until 2014 earning 22 million+. They have Turkoglu earning 11+ until 2014. They currently have 75 million in commited salary/player options for 2012 (including Howards player option).

They really are f*cked. Honestly! They are like the Knicks 2 years ago (albeit with a superstar) but they are in cap hell. Who is going to take that huge Arenas contract to let them actually get Howard some support?

It's pretty likely that in 2012 Orlando will not be able to offer Howard much talent around him to help him win. If Howard makes the right kind of noise next season (see Carmelo Anthony) then he could force a trade to NY. For who?

Amare Stoudemire. Orlando would probably want a big man in return for Howard so we give them Amare and either Douglas or Fields and probably some kind of pick.

We then go into 2011 playoffs with Dwight/Melo/Billups and in the summer of 2012 Billups expires and we sign CP3.

It's possible right?!

STAT1

Starter
If I'm Dwight I'd be on the phone to Deron Williams next summer to convince him to come to Orlando.

smokes

Huge Member
If I'm Dwight I'd be on the phone to Deron Williams next summer to convince him to come to Orlando.

But how? They don't have the cap space to sign him unless they can trade Arenas for an expiring I think... And who would the Nets take from Orlando for Deron?

I think it's gonna be NY/LA or stay for Dwight. But it would be dumb to stay looking at their current position. I think 2011 we will be a better team than Orlando anyway.

NY17

Benchwarmer
I just don't see it possible, Miami's stars took less money, we would have to pay them all max...would just wouldn't be realistic. Also, Orlando doesn't have the room to sign D-Will. I think Dwight will either end up in LA/Orlando/Brooklyn

STAT1

Starter
But how? They don't have the cap space to sign him unless they can trade Arenas for an expiring I think... And who would the Nets take from Orlando for Deron?

I think it's gonna be NY/LA or stay for Dwight. But it would be dumb to stay looking at their current position. I think 2011 we will be a better team than Orlando anyway.

Not sure if it's feasible but would an offer of Jameer, Anderson, Bass & a few 1st round picks be enough if Deron were going to walk anyway? Maybe not, who knows. I have a feeling if Dwight is going anywhere it will be to the Lakers to play with Kobe, or possibly to the Bulls. Now THAT'S scary, to think he would join forces with Derrick Rose & Carlos Boozer that would be an instant championship team guaranteed.

smokes

Huge Member
I just don't see it possible, Miami's stars took less money, we would have to pay them all max...would just wouldn't be realistic. Also, Orlando doesn't have the room to sign D-Will. I think Dwight will either end up in LA/Orlando/Brooklyn

But why would we have to pay them all the max? Melo yes he is already on a max. Howard could opt out and sign a full length deal and CP3 will be a free agent so he could take any deal.

Don't you think players like CP3, and Howard, are tired of being the best players in the league but not winning it all? Where else can they go to truly challenge the talent level of the Heat?

LA will have an aging Kobe (probably still gonna be an all star) and Gasol.

Orlando have Arenas/Turk/Nelson

NJ have D Will

I'm just saying, it could happen!

smokes

Huge Member
Not sure if it's feasible but would an offer of Jameer, Anderson, Bass & a few 1st round picks be enough if Deron were going to walk anyway? Maybe not, who knows. I have a feeling if Dwight is going anywhere it will be to the Lakers to play with Kobe, or possibly to the Bulls. Now THAT'S scary, to think he would join forces with Derrick Rose & Carlos Boozer that would be an instant championship team guaranteed.

I guess I didn't think about Deron walking so NJ would take less for him. That is a dilemma! Still, Deron + Howard + .... it's still only a 2 "star" roster. Our roster could potentially be 3 stars.

If Chicago have the potential to get him with a trade involving Noah that would be really really bad for us and everyone else in the league! But I dunno, if they would prefer Noah over Amare.

STAT1

Starter
I guess I didn't think about Deron walking so NJ would take less for him. That is a dilemma! Still, Deron + Howard + .... it's still only a 2 "star" roster. Our roster could potentially be 3 stars.

If Chicago have the potential to get him with a trade involving Noah that would be really really bad for us and everyone else in the league! But I dunno, if they would prefer Noah over Amare.

I would definitely be willing to trade anyone on the team to get Dwight I just don't think it's gonna happen. I guess it all depends on what direction they want to take their franchise in if Dwight decides to leave, will they want to rebuild like the Nuggets did, or will they try & get another superstar to replace Dwight?

NY17

Benchwarmer
But why would we have to pay them all the max? Melo yes he is already on a max. Howard could opt out and sign a full length deal and CP3 will be a free agent so he could take any deal.

Don't you think players like CP3, and Howard, are tired of being the best players in the league but not winning it all? Where else can they go to truly challenge the talent level of the Heat?

LA will have an aging Kobe (probably still gonna be an all star) and Gasol.

Orlando have Arenas/Turk/Nelson

NJ have D Will

I'm just saying, it could happen!

It's just different since Melo is already locked into his max deal, it wouldn't be right in the player's eyes to be making less. In Miami they all signed for the same. Also, with the new CBA looming it will most likely make it even more difficult.

smokes

Huge Member
I would definitely be willing to trade anyone on the team to get Dwight I just don't think it's gonna happen. I guess it all depends on what direction they want to take their franchise in if Dwight decides to leave, will they want to rebuild like the Nuggets did, or will they try & get another superstar to replace Dwight?

Yeah I just think what we have to offer is pretty much equal or better to what other teams can offer in terms of the full package (what we have to give Orlando and what we have to offer Dwight).

LA - Who would they give? Gasol? Bynum could be tough since he expires in 2012 he might not re-sign and his contract also doesn't match. And if they give Gasol their main players are Howard + 34 yr old Bryant + Odom...

New Jersey - They could give D-Will but would Howard re-sign with the Nets without Deron?! They could also package Brook Lopez with someone else that they sign through FA to get D-Will and Howard but there are not many all star free agents this offseason. Still the Nets would just be D-Will and Howard. Not like they are gonna add CP3 to that roster even though they have the cap space!

Orlando - They have no flexibility and would need a miracle trade to get any kind of star talent around Howard at least by 2012. If he's willing to wait it's a different story.

Free Agency - I don't know who has cap space in 2012 except the Nets and Knicks and I doubt Orlando will risk losing Howard unless he sounds fully commited to them.

So vs all of the above we can offer Amare + Douglas/Fields which I feel is a more attractive package than any other, and we will have Melo and a ton of cap space available for Dwight to join. Sounds good to me!

la2ny

Starter
Besides the very very unrealistic scenarios in here there are only 3 things thats going to happen:

1)He stays in th Magic Kingdom

2)La trades Bynum or Gasol and have a still deadly team of Bryant/Howard/Gasol/Odom or Bryant/Howard/Bynum/Odom

3)He goes for the NY area and goes to the Nets. This situation might be the best for him IMO. He gets to play w/ arguably the best PG in the league, the Barclays Center can be known as "The House Dwight Built" and he makes history their instead of following everyones elses shadows, also throw in the ability to improve the team around him and Deron. Imagine them with a solid PF like a David West who will be up that year. Then I believe they have a top 10 draft pick this year so maybe they draft a Derrick Williams. So a starting lineup of Dwight/DWest/Derrick Williams/Outlaw/DWill doesn't sound to bad.

Blumatic

Rotation player
I hear you. But trading STAT would seem so wrong. He chose us over the Heat and Bulls (yes he did). Bosh was Wade's lap dog. STAT told his agent to cancel the meeting with the Bulls b/c he wanted the Knicks. Loyalty.

I mean. Dwight straight up for STAT is logically the best move. But it smells funny.

Here's 3 guy we should get this summer:

Deandre Jordan
Tayshaun Prince
Kenyon Martin (backing up Amare and challenging him in practice).

Our bench would be so strong. All guys seem affordable. Prince wont make big money again and he's only 30. Kenyon, short deal and draft a replacement to develop. Prince and Martin can come in when Stat and Melo wanna act lazy. These guys can bring veteran leadership and effective play off the bench.

Deandre Jordan. Young center. Legit 7 foot that can play like he's 8 feet.

smokes

Huge Member
I hear you. But trading STAT would seem so wrong. He chose us over the Heat and Bulls (yes he did). Bosh was Wade's lap dog. STAT told his agent to cancel the meeting with the Bulls b/c he wanted the Knicks. Loyalty.

I mean. Dwight straight up for STAT is logically the best move. But it smells funny.

Deandre Jordan
Tayshaun Prince

Our bench would be so strong. All guys seem affordable. Prince wont make big money again and he's only 30. Kenyon, short deal and draft a replacement to develop. Prince and Martin can come in when Stat and Melo wanna act lazy. These guys can bring veteran leadership and effective play off the bench.

Yeah that's a good lineup but do we have to get rid of Billups for that? And have TD as our starting PG?

I'm really worried about pairing Jordan with MDA. This is not anything to do with MDA but more with Jordan. Although he scores at a high% he is pretty one-dimensional (although that may not be an issue playing alongside Melo/Stat). When I saw him last season he seemed to make incredibly dumb decisions with the ball too. Haven't watched a single clips game all year though so I don't know how good he is right now.

I was really underwhelmed by him last year though.

KingofNy

Starter

Deandre Jordan
Tayshaun Prince

He chose us for the 20M/5 years...Don't get it twisted. :thumbsup:

With good coaching and running a good offensive/defensive playbook, I think Amare can really shine on both ends of the court for us. It's really hurt him that he's been coached by Antoni his whole career. I think a coaching change will do wonders for Stat. Also, how well would Howard work in Antoni's SSOL system? That system isn't made for bigs...and that's why we don't have any.

There is a rumor circling around...and I have the same feeling, that the Lakers are building a new dynasty from 2012 onwards with Howard and Paul. Dumping Bynum, Odom, Fisher and Artest.

Bynum, Odom, Caracter and draft picks to Orlando in a sign and trade for Howard.

They get rid of Artest, Fish retires after next season and they sign Paul as a free agent in 2012.

Lakers starting 5 12/13:

Paul
Bryant
Barnes
Gasol
Howard

it's only a rumor, but if that happens Miami can forget about a dynasty.

WrongIslander

Rotation player

Deandre Jordan
Tayshaun Prince

I'd trade my family for Dwight Howard nevermind Stat.

Good points bluematic, we already have two superstars & other than BOS... All the recent great championship teams had 1 star. Some were lucky enough to have a 2nd superstar-star with Magic/Kareem, Jordan/Pippen, Robinson/Duncan, Hakeem/Drexler, Shaq/Bryant, Wade/Shaq, Bryant/Gasol etc etc & some had three stars (not 3 superstar) like the Pistons with Billups, R.Wallace & B.Wallace.

Carmelo & Amare can rank up there with most of those duo's before it's all said & done. I'm tired of all this talk about adding another MAX contract. I don't want 3 superstars with a bunch of Big Z's, Arroyo scrubs & a trashy bench. I want a DEEP team with real talents coming off the bench.

Forget about the summer of 2012. The Knicks are seriously 2 major moves + 2 small upgrades to the bench from becoming serious contenders next year.

Upgrade over JJ with a legit Center during free agency & draft size/rebounding ability during the 1st round. Add a fa to upgrade our peremeter defense & we're well on our way to contending.

This is how easy it could become for Walsh to form a contender.

-Allow Billups to walk. Not worth 14M for a 35 year old veteran. Buy out his 14M contract for 2M & save 12M.

-Use 8-9M, of that 12M saved; to sign DeAndre who's an up & coming talented C who's not even 23 years of age.

-If Turiaf picks up his player-option worth 4M, we trade our 1st & Turi on draft night to move up to around 12-14. Forget Kenyon; this is where we then land the Nations #1 leading rebounder in Kenneth Faried.

4: I'm also a big fan & have talked about Prince because of his peremeter D; but this is where we sign a great peremeter defender in Shane Battier for much cheaper, that way we can bring back both JJ & Carter for D.

C: Jordan / JJ / Faried
PF: Amare / Faried / JJ
SF: Melo / Battier / Shawne
SG: Fields / Walker / Battier
PG: Douglas / Carter / Rautins

Jordan
Amare
Melo
Fields
Douglas
Battier
Faried

Thats a 7 deep rotation. Guys like Walker & Shawne have the potential to make us 9 DEEP. JJ & Carter can be used too.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The Clippers might have something to offer Orlando for Dwight.

I'm against the three max thing so I don't want this to happen, but yeah.