Gallinari's chance to stand out in summer league; Wally to NY?

TunerAddict

Starter
disagree.jpg
139185.jpg

portega1968

El Cacique
How many threads will we end up having about The Cock by 2010?

Truth is we should only trade for Wally because his contract expires before 2010. He will knock down some shots, but he is on the decline, no doubt... not like the man who shot like a madman that last year in college. He aint gonna bring that much, especially zippo on D.

I'm pulling for El Gallo, y no es de Manati mi pana (eso solo lo entiende un buen boricua). He may have his bumps along the way, but the kid got something thats been AWOL on our team this decade: and that's heart. Although 19, he's the heart and crunch time guy over in Milano and that attitude should be welcomed.

portega1968

El Cacique
I'll go even further.... I'm hoping the guy bests Beasley and Rose to take ****ing ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!

buuuyaaah!!!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
when does Wally's contract expire??
Wally Szczerbiak's contract expires in 2009. Jamal Crawford's contract expires in 2011. Personally, I wouldn't trade Crawford for Szczerbiak, because I know the Knicks could get more for Crawford, but if the Cavs were to throw in a 1st round pick, I would do it. Jamal Crawford is a better overall basketball player than Szczerbiak, because he's faster and more athletic, but Szczerbiak is the better shooter. He has better shot selection than Crawford, and he shoots a higher percentage. Crawford just gets the slight edge over Szczerbiak, because he has the ability to get to the basket at will. Szczerbiak is too slow to do that. And because he's more able to take over in crunch time than Szcerbiak(although Szczerbiak is clutch, too).

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
There are other situations still brewing. The most notable involves another Warriors guard, Monta Ellis, who is a restricted free agent and, according to multiple sources, has a desire to play in D'Antoni's system. A person with knowledge of the situation said a sign-and-trade is a long shot, however, because a third team would have to be involved to make the deal work for both sides. The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers are in hot pursuit, just in case Warriors executive Chris Mullin decides to trade Ellis.

Paul1355

All Star
To WVknickfan

WVknickfan, this is old news with Monta Ellis going to the Knicks...if it happens ill be the first one to say you were right but the odds are very nill. Since the Warriors dont have Baron...that makes Ellis very important to the Warriors team, he's their only good PG and they need him...i doubt he'll be wearing the blue white n orange jersey this year.

Paul1355

All Star
Wally Szczerbiak's contract expires in 2009. Jamal Crawford's contract expires in 2011. Personally, I wouldn't trade Crawford for Szczerbiak, because I know the Knicks could get more for Crawford, but if the Cavs were to throw in a 1st round pick, I would do it. Jamal Crawford is a better overall basketball player than Szczerbiak, because he's faster and more athletic, but Szczerbiak is the better shooter. He has better shot selection than Crawford, and he shoots a higher percentage. Crawford just gets the slight edge over Szczerbiak, because he has the ability to get to the basket at will. Szczerbiak is too slow to do that. And because he's more able to take over in crunch time than Szcerbiak(although Szczerbiak is clutch, too).

Wally is not a SG he has a good shot but he cant move like a SG atelast crawford has speed and agility...both guys defense is bad and Crawford had better numbers last year. Now that i know Wally's contract expires in 09' there can be a possible move but why trae crawford? what about Zach..the Cavs dont have a good offense in the post why not have Zach help out Lebron? PLus zach's contract is 13 mil while Jamal's is only 7 i think. And Wally showed no clutch in the playoffs.

metrocard

Legend
szerbiack's defense is way worst then crawford's, crawford can actually create for his shot, wally plays flat footed/very heavy....dude is useless unless he's wide open, dont u criticize crawford for being 1 dimensional?

Wally had a superior career.
Wally made the playoffs.
Crawford's defense is as bad as Wally's.
Crawford plays like a headless chicken with a basketball.

No Crawford > Crawford.
Wally's expirning Crawford.

You gotta be a Crawfordsexual to still want him on here, he's USELESS on this team.

Crawford can create his own stupid shot, big deal? He misses most of the time.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
D'Antoni Raves About Gallinari, Excited About Chandler

NY Post
By MARC BERMAN
Jul 12, 2008 11:39 PM EST

LAS VEGAS - It's just two summer-league practices in a high school gym in the desert, but KnicksNew York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni sounded relieved yesterday after watching Italy's Danilo Gallinari be everything his Italian friends said he would be.

In truth, a part of D'Antoni was nervous about taking the 6-foot-10 Italian Stallion without ever having seen him play live. The workout Gallinari gave the Knicks before the draft was a solo session.

"Europeans are great 1 on 0 because they have all the skills," D'Antoni said. "But I saw film and talked to my Italian friends and they told me this guy is really good. He can play."

D'Antoni was in gushing mode at Vegas' Valley High. On Draft night, D'Antoni was rather reserved, considering the momentous occasion of tabbing Gallinari at No. 6.

"I'll tell you and I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but he's really good," D'Antoni said. "Like today, he just goes over to Herb [Williams] and tells him [a player] hasn't had a shot the last six times up, call something for him. He automatically knows.

"He's stronger than I thought," D'Antoni added. "He's more athletic than I thought. And he shoots the heck out of it."

Gallinari's toughness quotient has pumped up D'Antoni's spirit. D'Antoni questioned it during the winter when he saw a tape of the Milan standout.

"He can bang," D'Antoni said "When he takes a hit, his expression does not change, He got clobbered and was right back in his face. He doesn't get fazed by it.

"He's got a chance to be really special," D'Antoni added. "Toughness and being more athletic that what I thought [were] two questions from watching film. Until you see him."

D'Antoni can envision a forward tandem of Gallinari and Wilson Chandler for years to come. Chandler is coming off a solid end to his rookie year. D'Antoni, unsolicited, raved about the former DePaul forward, feeling he and Gallinari can alternate between small and power forward depending on matchups.

How soon the young duo can get major minutes depends on the status of incumbent starting forwards Zach Randolph and Quentin Richardson.

The Knicks desperately want to trade Randolph's contract to get under the cap by 2010. SI.com reported the Clippers were interested in Randolph but president Donnie Walsh reportedly rejected a deal, likely because he couldn't get enough short-term contracts.

Meanwhile, Richardson, coming off an out-of-shape, disgraceful shooting season, arrived in Vegas to work out with the summer-league team, claiming to be 228 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than when the season ended.

"He thought he could be a little lighter," D'Antoni said. "He wanted to get down. Any time someone's thinner I like."

I like the idea of having Gallo and Chandler on the court at the same time. Chandler at the 3 and Gallo at the 4 would work well in D'Antoni's system.

I am just glad that he recognizes Chandler's ability. He does have a lot of skill. Plus he is perfectly built for the sf position. His defense is really good as well. The more two way players we have, the better off we are.