2022 NBA Free Agency Thread - Starts Thursday, 6/30 at 6PM

Believe it or not, we?re only 4 days away from the start of NBA free agency, also known as the annual week of extra pain for Knicks fans.

Knicks seem ready to offer Jalen Brunson a 4 year 100 or 110 million dollar deal.

I?m okay with doing this. Brunson is 26-years-old and we?d be getting his prime and it?s not like any bigger impact star free agent is ever signing here in free agency (for reference see every other NBA off-season).

Here?s the problem. Mavs can outbid us. They can offer 5 year deal and have Bird rights on Brunson.

So, be prepared to lose again.

As far as the rest of free agency, should be interesting to follow some big names and what they try to do.

mafra

Legend
Brunson is an unrestricted free agent, right? So, basically, he can decide where he wants to go.

Money or being offers lead dawg role isn?t going to sway him.

I think it?ll be hilarious if Rose wants Brunson, did all of this to get him, and then ends up not signing him. That would be funny.

We shall see?but if your son is the player?s agent and the father is your friend, client, and employee? I would like to believe he has inside sources?

I just hope it doesn?t cost 2 more lottery picks to dump more contracts

Maybe we deal for Murray?

mafra

Legend
Dejounte Murray

He is by far the most unlikely of the options on this list, and it would take a haul. The rebuilding Spurs, however, are willing to move Murray for several first-round picks, according to Bleacher Report. The Knicks own 11 first-round picks over the next seven years, and as many as four in next year?s draft.

The 6-foot-4 guard would be a franchise-changer, and playing Murray alongside RJ Barrett would give coach Tom Thibodeau one of the better backcourts in the league. Murray is coming off a phenomenal season, in which he posted 21.1 points, 9.2 assists and 8.3 rebounds and is still only 25 years old with two years left on his contract

Brunson is an unrestricted free agent, right? So, basically, he can decide where he wants to go.

Money or being offers lead dawg role isn?t going to sway him.

I think it?ll be hilarious if Rose wants Brunson, did all of this to get him, and then ends up not signing him. That would be funny.

We shall see?but if your son is the player?s agent and the father is your friend, client, and employee? I would like to believe he has inside sources?

I just hope it doesn?t cost 2 more lottery picks to dump more contracts

Maybe we deal for Murray?

From what I?ve read online, most we can offer Brunson is 4 years 130 million. Dallas has Brunson?s Bird Rights, so they can exceed salary cap and offer up to 5 years 175 million.

Knicks supposedly are going to offer 4 years 100 or 110 million. Mavericks have plenty of room to outbid us with 5th year.

Even if Mavs offer same money and 4 years, he could stay in Dallas and be on a contender instead of coming here to probably lose. We?ve seen this show before in free agency.

mafra

Legend
Like I said, if Brunson was their top target and they moved out of lottery to clear cap space, you would think they are sure he?s coming?. We shall see tho.

There?s no way tho Rose is flying dark and hoping he gets Brunson. Either he has assurances or he has other choices.

Brunson is pals with D-Rose and he might relish chance to lead Ny back to glory. Who knows

Mavs and Cuban let Nash walk when they had a young Dirk, so I can see history repeating itself.

Dejounte Murray

He is by far the most unlikely of the options on this list, and it would take a haul. The rebuilding Spurs, however, are willing to move Murray for several first-round picks, according to Bleacher Report. The Knicks own 11 first-round picks over the next seven years, and as many as four in next year?s draft.

The 6-foot-4 guard would be a franchise-changer, and playing Murray alongside RJ Barrett would give coach Tom Thibodeau one of the better backcourts in the league. Murray is coming off a phenomenal season, in which he posted 21.1 points, 9.2 assists and 8.3 rebounds and is still only 25 years old with two years left on his contract

Am I crazy or if we could get Murray for 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks or 3 1st round picks, then we do it? He?s in his prime and seems like he ticks every box. We draft so poorly, not like those picks are that useful to us.

mafra

Legend
I would venture to say the same thing. Even if you send them 3 first rounders, you still have 8 the next 7 seasons?

I would sign Jalen Brunson and trade for Murray, and hope to keep Randle.

Brunson
Murray
RJ
Randle
Robinson

Plus everybody else on the bench? this could be a team that could compete and be something by year 3.

Kiyaman

Legend
Number one priority Knicks Defense & Rebounds .. Resign MitchRob to a 5 yr $60M contract, before several teams do.

The Knicks FO and few fans are blind to the New NBA .. Throughout the 2020-21 season the Knicks went to the playoffs having the several PG on the roster they used in every practice (D.Rose, Payton, Frank, Pinson, Rivers, D.Smith Jr.), plus having a 7th PG Randle bringing the ball down court.
Having 4 healthy PG throughout the season gave the Knicks success.
Throughout the past 2021-22 season the Knicks roster had NO PG (DNP Kemba, Season injury D.Rose, and GLeague McBride).

The Mavs coach Kidd had 4 PG in his postseason rotation that took the Mavs to the WCF.
It wasn't KP & Luka .. It was the Luka & Brunson Playoff show .. Owner Cuban notice the Mavs inside weakness in the WCF, and traded for center Christian Wood the first opportunity to trade before the draft. Does that move say, Cuban's gonna let the teams 2nd team leader & scorer go in FA ???

The Grizz coach Jenkins has groom Tyus Jones to be a Grizz Keeper in the absence of Ja Morant.
Resign Five year $55M
Plus the Grizz added a young raw PG Kennedy Chandler to the roster from the draft 37th pick.
And Chandler's play maker speed are gonna surprise a lot of people in the Summer League Games.

The Knicks FO are imbecile, and the Knicks coaching staff are imbecile.
And what make it even worst the two-parties are not on the same-page during the season, or offseason.

The Knicks will have settle for signing two of the bottom FA guards ..

Dennis Schroder
Ricky Rubio
Collin Sexton
Victor Oladipo
Plus Knicks must trade 3 of these players .. Randle, Burks, Fournier, Noel, and Cam

Number one priority Knicks Defense & Rebounds .. Resign MitchRob to a 5 yr $60M contract, before several teams do.

The Knicks FO and few fans are blind to the New NBA .. Throughout the 2020-21 season the Knicks went to the playoffs having the several PG on the roster they used in every practice (D.Rose, Payton, Frank, Pinson, Rivers, D.Smith Jr.), plus having a 7th PG Randle bringing the ball down court.
Having 4 healthy PG throughout the season gave the Knicks success.
Throughout the past 2021-22 season the Knicks roster had NO PG (DNP Kemba, Season injury D.Rose, and GLeague McBride).

The Mavs coach Kidd had 4 PG in his postseason rotation that took the Mavs to the WCF.
It wasn't KP & Luka .. It was the Luka & Brunson Playoff show .. Owner Cuban notice the Mavs inside weakness in the WCF, and traded for center Christian Wood the first opportunity to trade before the draft. Does that move say, Cuban's gonna let the teams 2nd team leader & scorer go in FA ???

The Grizz coach Jenkins has groom Tyus Jones to be a Grizz Keeper in the absence of Ja Morant.
Resign Five year $55M
Plus the Grizz added a young raw PG Kennedy Chandler to the roster from the draft 37th pick.
And Chandler's play maker speed are gonna surprise a lot of people in the Summer League Games.

The Knicks FO are imbecile, and the Knicks coaching staff are imbecile.
And what make it even worst the two-parties are not on the same-page during the season, or offseason.

The Knicks will have settle for signing two of the bottom FA guards ..

Dennis Schroder
Ricky Rubio
Collin Sexton
Victor Oladipo
Plus Knicks must trade 3 of these players .. Randle, Burks, Fournier, Noel, and Cam
Kiya, I have noticed in several of your post that you suggested trading Randle.
WHY??
I understand he isn?t a perfect fit if the offense changes. Also, Randle is not the biggest problem on the team or the organization. Not saying he isn?t one in most cases. If used correctly he could be a benefit/asset and not a liability. He has EARNED the benefit of the doubt from what I see.

Trading the wrong player!! You said Randle is cancer?.I have to agree and disagree. The ?Player Only Meeting? says he is. His play and passion says he isn?t. Again, EARNED!!
The worst CANCER on the Knicks team is RJ!! Not of his making but those who orchestrated his whole existence on the Knicks. They are cancer and they gave it to him.
For those of you that don?t like the above paragraph. Just tell me how you can get RJ out being given everything and I?ll jump on the bandwagon. That isn?t easy to erase.

Seems like no market for Kyrie Irving sign and trade. Seems very likely he will be picking up his 36 million dollar option and forcing Brooklyn to deal with him on the books for 1 more season.

KD likely to force his way out?

mafra

Legend
He picked up his option and said he wants to honor his commitment to them or something. lol. He?s gotta be pissed he didn?t get a deal, so I can see him going AWOL again next season for some reason.

But KD and potential new deal might have him dialed in for 1 season? Year 4 comes and goes without a title and boom? KD/Kyrie legacy gets hit hard.

Kiyaman

Legend
Seems like no market for Kyrie Irving sign and trade. Seems very likely he will be picking up his 36 million dollar option and forcing Brooklyn to deal with him on the books for 1 more season.

KD likely to force his way out?

Ain't that KD team!
Both KD & Kyrie are made for each other .. Just let Ben Simmons lead the Nets team, by running Ben's offense/defense throughout the regular-season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, I have noticed in several of your post that you suggested trading Randle.
WHY??
I understand he isn?t a perfect fit if the offense changes. Also, Randle is not the biggest problem on the team or the organization. Not saying he isn?t one in most cases. If used correctly he could be a benefit/asset and not a liability. He has EARNED the benefit of the doubt from what I see.

Trading the wrong player!! You said Randle is cancer?.I have to agree and disagree. The ?Player Only Meeting? says he is. His play and passion says he isn?t. Again, EARNED!!
The worst CANCER on the Knicks team is RJ!! Not of his making but those who orchestrated his whole existence on the Knicks. They are cancer and they gave it to him.
For those of you that don?t like the above paragraph. Just tell me how you can get RJ out being given everything and I?ll jump on the bandwagon. That isn?t easy to erase.

I'm not a fan of a teams PF performing as the teams PG on every offensive possession, unless their name are Draymond Green or Giannis.
Randle been averaging 30 minute of playing time at the end of the 3rd quarter for the Knicks under coach Thibs.
I wonder what Randle stats would look like receiving 28 minutes per game?

The Knicks head coach gave Randle complete control of the decision-making in the Knicks offense for 40 minutes a game throughout the 82 game season. Randle made the Knicks starter offense dependent on his distribution this past season.
And the Knicks 48 minute defense each game throughout the 82 game season had no one in control so it STINKED awful throughout the midseason games, showing no signs of improvement the remaining 20 games of the season from captain Randle's leadership on the court.
Giving Randle all that power (to perform at PF & PG the past 3 seasons are not something Randle will want to stop in his 4th season as a Knicks.
He has to go!
Randle has become another PF Melo always dribbling the ball down court on every offensive possession .. PG!
So far, the average PG (Payton, Rivers, Frank, and Kemba) were not able to take control of the Knicks offense and the ball from Randle dribbling down court the past 3 seasons.
Could the Knicks do better without Randle ???

Well .. In the Knicks first 25 games of the 2021-22 season the Knicks had an exciting team-chemistry, and ball-movement from the Knicks 2nd unit bench players of ..
D.Rose offensive leadership, Taj Gibson's defensive leadership, Burk's experience, and the speed and athleticism from two 2nd season players Quickley & Obi Toppin.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Why do I have a feeling that Brunson is going to use us as leverage to stay in Dallas for top $$$ and we are going to be stuck with his dad on our coaching staff and we still won?t have a PG??

Why do I have a feeling that Brunson is going to use us as leverage to stay in Dallas for top $$$ and we are going to be stuck with his dad on our coaching staff and we still won?t have a PG??

You have that feeling because it is what happens to us every time in this situation and it is the most likely outcome here as well.

The worst part is that our plan B will be non-existent.

mafra

Legend
If they whiff on JB after failing to trade for Ivey?. And considering last year?s free agency failures?.

Leon Rose officially a failure and on the hot seat.

I'm not a fan of a teams PF performing as the teams PG on every offensive possession, unless their name are Draymond Green or Giannis.
Randle been averaging 30 minute of playing time at the end of the 3rd quarter for the Knicks under coach Thibs.
I wonder what Randle stats would look like receiving 28 minutes per game?

The Knicks head coach gave Randle complete control of the decision-making in the Knicks offense for 40 minutes a game throughout the 82 game season. Randle made the Knicks starter offense dependent on his distribution this past season.
And the Knicks 48 minute defense each game throughout the 82 game season had no one in control so it STINKED awful throughout the midseason games, showing no signs of improvement the remaining 20 games of the season from captain Randle's leadership on the court.
Giving Randle all that power (to perform at PF & PG the past 3 seasons are not something Randle will want to stop in his 4th season as a Knicks.
He has to go!
Randle has become another PF Melo always dribbling the ball down court on every offensive possession .. PG!
So far, the average PG (Payton, Rivers, Frank, and Kemba) were not able to take control of the Knicks offense and the ball from Randle dribbling down court the past 3 seasons.
Could the Knicks do better without Randle ???

Well .. In the Knicks first 25 games of the 2021-22 season the Knicks had an exciting team-chemistry, and ball-movement from the Knicks 2nd unit bench players of ..
D.Rose offensive leadership, Taj Gibson's defensive leadership, Burk's experience, and the speed and athleticism from two 2nd season players Quickley & Obi Toppin.

Agree with you 100%.
Question - What you going to do with Randle enablers??

Well, the internet seems pretty convinced that we are going to get Jalen Brunson for 4 years and a deal in excess of 100 million.

Seems like we only need to clear cap space and it?s going to happen.

I?m still skeptical but this would be a big move for us. Think about how many times we?ve had a chance to acquire a PG in their prime and not wanted to pay the money or trade the pick to do so. Kyle Lowry in 2013 comes in mind.

You have to take chances to land a starting PG. If they were a sure thing, they wouldn?t be available.

I really hope this works out for us.