2021 Knicks Summer League

I know these guys don?t have star potential, but Grimes and McBride really look like polished, high IQ players to me, given their ages. They know what to do on defense. They move well off the ball on offense. They find the open man when they get the ball or they take a high percentage shot when they?re open.

These guys look like players who can help you win games.

Jokubaitis has knocked down a couple corner 3s and also had a nice pass to a big man getting him a layup attempt.

It will be interesting to see if Jokubaitis gets himself in the mix for roster consideration.

Grimes 2 for 4 from 3 in the 1st half. He?s showing he can hit the 3 off the screen. If he can play strong defense and knock down 3s at a good clip, Thibs is going to be happy with him.

McBride maybe going to make Ntilikina-fans forget about our ex-lottery pick. McBride has a long wingspan, hounds the ballhandler, and closes out fast on defense.

Knicks lead by 7 at the half.

Toppin with 7 points and 6 boards.

Grimes and Jokubaitis have both knocked down a couple 3 pointers.

McBride with 3 assists playing mainly off the ball.

Quickley with 10 points and 3 assists. Team leader on the court.

Knicks win Summer League game #3 by 9.

Quickley with 25 points on 15 shots to go along with 7 assists.

McBride with 22 points on 6 for 6 shooting from 3 to go along with 7 boards and 5 assists.

Toppin with 17 points and 11 boards.

Grimes hit a couple early 3s, but otherwise still trying to find his shot. Grimes had 8 points, 9 boards, and 2 assists.

mafra

Legend
Knicks have a good, crisp, decisive, high-quality effort in the first quarter. 25 points in the first 10 minutes. Then, things got stagnant until the final half of the 4th quarter.

IQ and McBride were terrific. Trading blows with LAK. Juko looked solid for a stretch.

McBride perfect from downtown. 6-6! And the last bucket went swish after a sweet dish from IQ. Showed growth that IQ didn?t thrust up an off balanced runner, instead he kicked it out to the scorching hot rook.

Grimes drained his first shot again. He was a +21 team leading plus-minus darling. 9 rebounds and defense and he bangs and is physical.

The decisive play of the game, which won it for the good guys? the play happened around the 2-minute mark. See-saw affair, and lead hanging by 3. Knicks miss a shot and rebound hits baseline and LAK player lost ball out of bounds. Grimes banging down low forced that turnover.

IQ makes a shot, they go up 5. LAK missed a shot, NYK rebound, and FT will seal the deal.

If LAK secured the rebound and drains a 3? game is tied. Little plays fo a long way for Thibbs.

I expect to see a lot of that lineup:

McBride
IQ
Grimes
Obi
Sims

jimkcchief88

All Star
Knicks have a good, crisp, decisive, high-quality effort in the first quarter. 25 points in the first 10 minutes. Then, things got stagnant until the final half of the 4th quarter.

IQ and McBride were terrific. Trading blows with LAK. Juko looked solid for a stretch.

McBride perfect from downtown. 6-6! And the last bucket went swish after a sweet dish from IQ. Showed growth that IQ didn?t thrust up an off balanced runner, instead he kicked it out to the scorching hot rook.

Grimes drained his first shot again. He was a +21 team leading plus-minus darling. 9 rebounds and defense and he bangs and is physical.

The decisive play of the game, which won it for the good guys? the play happened around the 2-minute mark. See-saw affair, and lead hanging by 3. Knicks miss a shot and rebound hits baseline and LAK player lost ball out of bounds. Grimes banging down low forced that turnover.

IQ makes a shot, they go up 5. LAK missed a shot, NYK rebound, and FT will seal the deal.

If LAK secured the rebound and drains a 3? game is tied. Little plays fo a long way for Thibbs.

I expect to see a lot of that lineup:

McBride
IQ
Grimes
Obi
Sims

I forgot the game was after I got off work but I caught the very end and saw that decision play nice win!

jimkcchief88

All Star
Grimes 2 for 4 from 3 in the 1st half. He?s showing he can hit the 3 off the screen. If he can play strong defense and knock down 3s at a good clip, Thibs is going to be happy with him.

McBride maybe going to make Ntilikina-fans forget about our ex-lottery pick. McBride has a long wingspan, hounds the ballhandler, and closes out fast on defense.

Exactly. I wish Frank well, nice story, but in the end a bust pick. Again imagine if we had grabbed Donovan Mitchell instead of Frank. Those bust lottery picks set your franchise back for 3-5 years. That goes you to Kevin Knox seeya bye.

Kiyaman

Legend
13-25 Pistons at the end of the 1st quarter. The Cade Cunningham Pistons are fighting hard to win their first game of the SL Games.

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time Knicks 31 - Pistons 36
No Jericho Sims tonight .. Which is making us hustle harder on the offensive end to score.

ONLY 7 UNDEFEATED TEAMS REMAINING
Boston 3-0.
Pelicans 2-0.
76ers 2-0.
Kings 2-0.
Heat 2-0.
Minnesota 2-0.
Utah 2-0.

NYK 2-1.

Win out during our next two games and we'll have a strong chance of advancing to the Summer League Championship game @ 4-1 overall

(Friday)
4:00 - Minnesota (2-0) vs Milwaukee = we need Minnesota to lose.
5:00 - Miami (2-0) vs. Utah (2-0) = Win/Win for NYK (because 1 team won't be undefeated anymore).
6:00 - Pelicans (2-0) vs. Cleveland = we need New Orleans to lose.
9:00 - Kings (2-0) vs Memphis = we need Kings to lose.
Hopefully only 3 remaining undefeated teams heading into Saturdays games tomorrow

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rd Qtr. Knicks 48 - Pistons 64
Cade Cunningham is playing dynamic to get the Pistons their first win in SL Games

Knicks fall behind 20 to 6. They then go on to outscore Detroit 81 to 73 the rest of the way, but not enough and they lose by 6.

Toppin with 31 points on 13 of 20 shooting from the floor. Also had 9 boards and 3 steals.

Grimes had 15 points shooting 6 for 10 including 3 for 6 from 3 point range.

Quickley and McBride combine to shoot 6 from 32 from the floor, so a bit of a pump the brakes night on these young guards.

Quickley and McBride did combine for 13 assists though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks 87 - Pistons 93

Well, this is what happen when a Knicks team don't have a center for the game, and are force to play small-ball throughout the game (Knicks got out-rebounded 38-49). Plus the Knicks opponent had a dynamic number one pick #1 Cade Cunningham shooting 7-10 from the 3-ball line, and a BIG 7 footer center Garza controlling the paint for (10 pts, 12 rbs, 3 ast, and 5 blocks).

The Knicks Quickley & Obi Toppin would be 4-0 in the SL Games if the foolish Knicks FO would have selected Jalen Johnson with the 19th pick. Plus invite Norvel Pelle to the Knicks SL Games.
For some reason I do not see any success next season from the Knicks FO offseason moves !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks fall behind 20 to 6. They then go on to outscore Detroit 81 to 73 the rest of the way, but not enough and they lose by 6.

Toppin with 31 points on 13 of 20 shooting from the floor. Also had 9 boards and 3 steals.

Grimes had 15 points shooting 6 for 10 including 3 for 6 from 3 point range.

Quickley and McBride combine to shoot 6 from 32 from the floor, so a bit of a pump the brakes night on these young guards.

Quickley and McBride did combine for 13 assists though.

Quickley has been showing us a decent combo-guard style throughout the SL Games ..
Tonite IQ shot like a blind-man however, IQ hustle-defense and finding Dimes to create several come from behind runs in the game, plus always lighting Obi's confidence on scoring inside/outside as the #1 option .. That was my excitement!
I just wish we would've selected Jalen Johnson at 19 in the draft, so the Knicks SL games would've had a trio-scoring-option lineup of IQ Obi & Jalen to add to next-season 2nd unit lineup.

tiger0330

Legend
Nice game by Obi, his game will be more consistent than Quicks because he’s more of a a dunker rim runner than Quick is. Quick like a lot of shooters lives and dies by the 3 pt shot. Not impressed with Quicks PG playmaking skills in SL, still needs a lot of work in that area meaning DRose and Kemba need to stay healthy this season.